Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-09-13, 20:41   Link #8361
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I've been expecting household holostages for decades now. Clarke wrote this novel in the mid-1950s. Along with his invention of the communications satellite, I've always thought this was his most insightful prediction.
Yes he had a similar device in Fahrenheit 451 I believe, where the cast actively interacted with the viewer.

It's interesting to read the Sci-Fi classics just to see how many predictions they got right.

Endless "I predict" Soul
Old 2012-09-13, 20:50   Link #8362
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm still waiting on Discovery and the HAL9000s (more the space explorers than the computer AI though).
Old 2012-09-13, 23:11   Link #8363
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Marines Who Love Space Marines
Why American troops can’t get enough of Warhammer 40,000, a fantasy tabletop game set in the 41st millennium.

It's good to know the US armed forces enjoy Warhammer 40k like some of us.
Old 2012-09-13, 23:27   Link #8364
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I know several in MMOs who play on their off time even when deployed. Regular guys who just had few other options, no rich parents for college/trade, etc.
Old 2012-09-13, 23:32   Link #8365
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

In the grim darkness of the 21st Century, there is only war.

Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 23:46   Link #8366
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And very few free tables to play anything else.
Old 2012-09-14, 04:41   Link #8367
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Damn that's awesome of them. I think it'd be great to spend a night watching em play or play with (admittedly I've never played a 40K game in my life though).

What I find interesting though is that a bunch of soldiers playing 40K seems a lot more 'acceptable' or whatever than say some kids from around the neighbourhood who may have just played the computer or some local sports, and would be picked on for it or be told to stop wasting their time on it probably. I wonder how many soldiers play M:TG as well, it's not entirely different to 40K (although I would probably say 40K have the whole badass grim dark thing going for it, which the others may lack possibly)

Yeah Vexx, I know a whole bunch of soldiers that play MMOs to, a bunch of my guildies were soldiers. Have had some based in Afganistan, Iraq, Japan (although he was an American), and other places around the world. It's always good to have a drink with em too for the annual guild meets.
Old 2012-09-14, 04:56   Link #8368
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
What I find interesting though is that a bunch of soldiers playing 40K seems a lot more 'acceptable' or whatever than say some kids from around the neighbourhood who may have just played the computer or some local sports, and would be picked on for it or be told to stop wasting their time on it probably. I wonder how many soldiers play M:TG as well, it's not entirely different to 40K (although I would probably say 40K have the whole badass grim dark thing going for it, which the others may lack possibly)
Maybe because the ''kid'' is not seen as having a constructive activity or work already. Maybe because pissing-off or simply teasing a soldier never seem a good idea to most peoples. Or maybe because the combinaison soldier-40K is soo unexpected.
Old 2012-09-14, 05:13   Link #8369
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Maybe, maybe not. Soldiers are still mostly normal guys though, I argue, tease and carouse with the ones I know and I'm less threatening than the garden hose while they're 6 foot tall and built like Atlas.

40K and soldiers, yeah kinda unexpected. I've seen D&D + soldiers first hand, now I think about it. But the one that did my head in was the Soldiers down with MLP, that cracked me up at the sheer unexpectedness of it.

But everyone needs an out though, especially soldiers, otherwise you'd go insane.

nb: 'kid' could also be substituted with 'civilian', after all some guy that works a desk all day and goes to kick back with some 40K at the end of the week would def get a different response.
Old 2012-09-14, 08:03   Link #8370
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Damn that's awesome of them. I think it'd be great to spend a night watching em play or play with (admittedly I've never played a 40K game in my life though).

I wonder how many soldiers play M:TG as well, it's not entirely different to 40K (although I would probably say 40K have the whole badass grim dark thing going for it, which the others may lack possibly)
In my camp, everyone has either a PSP, DS or TCG game be it Yugioh, Magic, Weiss Schwarz or whatever....even regular officers.

I'm very certain it's ultra common world wide amongst military personnel
Old 2012-09-14, 08:07   Link #8371
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
In my camp, everyone has either a PSP, DS or TCG game be it Yugioh, Magic, Weiss Schwarz or whatever....even regular officers.

I'm very certain it's ultra common world wide amongst military personnel
That is because you sit in the camp and do nothing most of the time. Hence the lyrics, "Two years of our time, what a waste of life. "

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 08:15   Link #8372
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

It's obviously not just restricted to this island...it's what is known as "soldiering"
Old 2012-09-14, 09:29   Link #8373
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. Soldiers are still mostly normal guys though, I argue, tease and carouse with the ones I know and I'm less threatening than the garden hose while they're 6 foot tall and built like Atlas.

40K and soldiers, yeah kinda unexpected. I've seen D&D + soldiers first hand, now I think about it. But the one that did my head in was the Soldiers down with MLP, that cracked me up at the sheer unexpectedness of it.

But everyone needs an out though, especially soldiers, otherwise you'd go insane.

nb: 'kid' could also be substituted with 'civilian', after all some guy that works a desk all day and goes to kick back with some 40K at the end of the week would def get a different response.
Actually I never thought much about it but it's true.. Even here in Canada, several of the people that I knew back when I used to play 40K were in the military. I was actually in a store with my military friend cracking a joke about our military being small and weak and got some nasty looks from 4+ people at the same time once..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 09:59   Link #8374
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

You don't need to be a military to dislike thoses kind of jokes...
Old 2012-09-14, 10:02   Link #8375
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Boys will be boys, no matter the age. In all essence, 40K ARE Toy Soldiers. Warcraft and Starcraft too. And you were wondering why people are hook on those.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 10:20   Link #8376
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
You don't need to be a military to dislike thoses kind of jokes...
Well, facts are facts my friend. The entire Canadian military can almost fit inside one sports stadium (68,250 active). I find people get very sensitive about certain topics.. whereas I .. well, hold very little "sacred."
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 10:43   Link #8377
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1880348.html

Quote:
Ervin McKinness, Aspiring Rapper, Tweets 'YOLO' About Driving Drunk And Dies Minutes Later
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitter
2.7.5 Inkyy
@ink2flashyy

Drunk af going 120 drifting corners #FuckIt YOLO
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 10:46   Link #8378
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Sometimes, "a result of natural selection" is what belongs on the tombstone. I feel badly for anyone that liked him, but they should be angry at him for being a dumbass. Hopefully, he didn't hurt/kill anyone else.
Old 2012-09-14, 10:52   Link #8379
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Sometimes, "a result of natural selection" is what belongs on the tombstone. I feel badly for anyone that liked him, but they should be angry at him for being a dumbass. Hopefully, he didn't hurt/kill anyone else.
If I do something stupid and die, I demand this one thing carved on my tombstone.

WINNER OF DARWIN AWARDS 20XX
Old 2012-09-14, 10:54   Link #8380
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There were others passengers on the car. All endded up deads.

At least no bystander were involved...

@ aohige: should we try to get you applyed for the award before putting it on the tombstone ?

Tags
humor