AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2022-08-07, 05:34   Link #1
robertcady

Do boys read shoujo manga?

Embroidery Machine 101: A Comprehensive Buying Guide for Beginners

If you're a craft enthusiast, you already know that the right embroidery machine can take your creativity to new heights and turn every project into a work of art. As a result, today we will provide you with this comprehensive guide with an aim to help you select the best home embroidery machine. We'll delve into the importance of owning one of these innovative devices, elucidate the benefits they provide, and introduce you to common terminologies used in the world of machine embroidery. So, let's unravel the world of embroidery machines together!

Key Features to Consider in an Embroidery Machine

When choosing a cheap embroidery machine, there are a few key features to consider:

Embroidery Field/Area: The embroidery field or area refers to the maximum size of a design that the machine can stitch out without rehooping. For home use, an embroidery machine with a 4" x 4" or 5" x 7" embroidery area is usually sufficient. However, if you plan on tackling larger projects, you may want to consider a machine with a larger embroidery field.

Number of Needles: The number of needles on an embroidery machine directly impacts its efficiency. A single-needle machine requires you to change thread colors manually, which can be time-consuming for intricate, multi-colored designs. Multi-needle machines, often found in the best commercial embroidery machines, allow for automatic color changes, speeding up the embroidery process.

Connectivity: Modern embroidery machines often come with USB ports or wireless connectivity, allowing you to import designs from the internet or your computer. This feature greatly expands the possibilities for your embroidery projects.

Automatic Thread Trimming: This feature automatically cuts the thread at the end of an embroidery color or section. It not only saves time but also gives a clean finish to the embroidery.

Remember, it's important to balance functionality with your budget and skill level. As you gain more experience, you can invest in more advanced machines. In the end, the best embroidery machine for home use is the one that meets your specific needs and aspirations.

Common Issues and Troubleshooting

Embroidery machines, like all complex tools, can occasionally run into problems. Users often report issues such as thread breaking or bunching, misaligned designs, and machine noise. These complications can be a result of several factors, including incorrect threading, dull or broken needles, incorrect tension settings, or lack of machine maintenance.

Troubleshooting these issues starts with a process of elimination. Check each potential cause systematically - rethread the machine, replace the needle, adjust the tension settings, or clean and oil the machine as per the manufacturer's instructions.

Always refer to your machine's user manual for specific guidance. Misunderstandings can often be clarified by revisiting the basics, whether you're using the best home embroidery machine or the best professional embroidery machine. When in doubt, don't hesitate to reach out to a professional or the machine's customer support for assistance.

Conclusion

Embroidery is a magnificent journey that blends creativity with craftsmanship. As you embark on this adventure, finding the best affordable embroidery machine that aligns with your needs and skills is your first step. You may encounter hurdles along the way, but don't let that deter you. Remember, every expert was once a beginner. With practice, patience, and perseverance, you can transform your vision into stunning embroidered pieces. It’s important to remember that the 'best' machine is a subjective term - what works best for you might not be the same for others. Whether it's the best commercial embroidery machine or a home use model, the right machine is one that complements your unique style of work and fits within your budget.

Last edited by robertcady; 2023-11-23 at 12:40.
robertcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-07, 05:54   Link #2
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I did read Magic Knight Rayearth if you count that as a shoujo manga. It was serialized in Nakayoshi magazine afterall.

But the main reason for me to read it was because I like adventure in another world (pre-isekai craze). I didn't really care that the protags are girls back then as long as I enjoy the story. Also, the protags had giant freakin' robots spirits .
Old 2022-08-07, 06:58   Link #3
cyberdemon

I’ve read Fruits Basket and Fushigi Yuugi so it really depends on the series
Old 2022-08-07, 07:41   Link #4
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I'v read a couple short ones. But in general boys are not interested in shoujo. Jousei on the other hand may be more appealing.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2022-08-07 at 13:30.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-07, 08:49   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Lots of boys here in Japan read shoujo (just ask Nishikata). And even more girls read shounen.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-07, 10:28   Link #6
Frontier

I definitely do .
Old 2022-08-07, 10:35   Link #7
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Shoujo romance had a good number of titles back in the day. His and Her Circumstances (Kare Kano), From Me To You (Kimi Ni Todoke), Say I Love You. Romance has heavily shifted to either being very comedic or very simple/endearing. And with that, shoujo lost its best outlet along with the rise of isekai pulling in the newer generation and shounen gradually getting better female characters. Over time, shoujo has lost its unique edge. Another factor is that they tend to be slower paced and with a newer generation that has far less patience/attention spans, shounen/isekai tends to resonate most with them. On the flipside, josei has had some titles (Chihayafuru as a prime example) do well so it's not like titles more specifically pitched for females can't succeed - but it is a lot harder.
Old 2022-08-10, 21:12   Link #8
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I think this should be in General Anime.

But yes, plenty of guys read shoujo. They might not be willing to admit it, but they'll read it and watch the anime. Just like there's plenty of girls that watch/read shounen materials. There may be some that are exceptionally skewed, but in general the audience outside the target demographic is more than statistically insignificant.

I've read plenty of shoujo myself. Obviously Clamp stuff like Sakura and Rayearth, but also a number of other materials.

Overall the boundary isn't that strong. The genre is mostly just a matter of what magazine the work appears in. Plenty of people have commented that, even with its exceptionally adult content, Bitter Virgin would fit in very well as a shoujo work despite being published in a seinen mag. The works of Yamamoto Souichirou may be called "shounen" but really tend to transcend gender completely, as do many other authors' material. It is frankly commonplace for boys to read girls' manga and vice versa.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-26, 13:07   Link #9
Belkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcady View Post
Yo! What’s your thoughts over shoujo manga? Did you read shoujo manga when you were a little boy? My lil sis is 20 now and she still enjoys reading them in her past time Let me hear your opinion.
I didn't realise until I actually read through this thread that my favourite Manga Oshi no Ko is Sienan and I also enjoy reading a chapter here and thereof another called Nana which is Shoujo.

As a Newbie to Manga, I was never into that Western Superhero comic book nonsense so the likes of My Hero Academica didn't really fire me up. I've found I like reading slice of life stuff that is more slower in pace and has different and unusual premises.

As to live action movies, TV and now Anime, I am the opposite where I enjoy ones that are faster paced and action focused.

It really is about what story works for the particular medium and who cares what gender it is primarily aimed at. If the story is good enough just read and enjoy it.
Belkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-26, 22:16   Link #10
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcady View Post
Yo! What’s your thoughts over shoujo manga? Did you read shoujo manga when you were a little boy? My lil sis is 20 now and she still enjoys reading them in her past time Let me hear your opinion.
Read quite a number, some of them mentioned. Though details do fade away for older works, full moon wo sagashite is still a very memorable one for me.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-21, 07:07   Link #11
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I think I read most of Clamp's works with Tokyo Babylon capturing me thanks to the social commentary that's quite impactful while the way Subaru dealed with his "enemies" sure was interesting cos he used communication rather than his exorcism powers most of the time. X was simpler with fights but still attracted me especially since Subaru's story concludes there.

I once read DN Angel but never got the chance to end it due to the hiatus too.
Old 2023-02-01, 14:23   Link #12
-G1-

Yes.
I loved Card Captor Sakura, and I'm even planning to get a CCS tattoo in the future.
-G1- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-01, 14:57   Link #13
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Read a few, but in general shoujo is definetely not my cup of tea. I like jousei, though.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-25, 21:33   Link #14
Strahan

I like shoujo. I'm a sucker for a good romance. Especially if it has a proper denouement. I hate when a romance story gives us will they/won't they for 200 volumes then they finally get together, and POOF it ends. Itazura na Kiss was really good in that respect; the story goes waaaay beyond teenager romance hookup.

My favorite vehicle for romance is visual novels though, more than manga. I like the ability to decide who to concentrate on. Though of course VNs are more frustrating than manga or anime in that I have some control, but my character still sometimes makes non controllable decisions that are really stupid lol
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-25, 22:35   Link #15
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
There are a couple of shoujo manga I've tried and enjoyed.

But for the most part, I avoid it. Not because of the story- the stories are normally things I'm a sucker for, actually- but because of what initially draws me into ANY manga (or anime): the artwork itself. CLAMP's artwork is an acquired taste... and anything that is on the cover of Shoujo Beat (the shoujo version of Shounen Jump) usually has unappealing artwork to me.

In fact, I think a lot of anime and manga fans often forget that we enjoy it BECAUSE of the artwork. As of this post, there's a pseudo-remake of an old anime that was popular when it first aired. Some people are lamenting how it should be popular when it isn't, just because it uses a very different artstyle with lots of CG. Which means they've forgotten that not only do people still dislike heavy CG anime, but but it's the artstyle in the first place that will get people's attention. (For those who want to know, it's the new Trigun adaptation)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-26, 02:01   Link #16
Liddo-kun
is this so?

have read Full Moon wo Sagashite and Sakura Hime Kaden

enjoyed reading them.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-26, 07:33   Link #17
dragon1412

It's depend a lot on the series, I read and follow pretty much all Fushigi Yuugi, I don't remember whether fruit basket or Genbu gaiden is my first Shojo though. I also read Kamisama Hajimemashita after the anime

I'm the same as Magin on this, I'm fine with SHoujo and have lot of favorite, but in general I avoid them due to artstyle more rather than story. For story though, it depend a lot more if the author going full drama route, which is what i avoid but this generally don't show until midway into the story.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-13, 15:07   Link #18
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Outside of very blatant BL I ignore the labels when reading manga or novels. I think I've read some manga that are soujo for a good bit but like others I think jousei is more likely to keep my attention.

I find novels that would fit this sort of labeling to be much eaiser to dig into or get lost into too, compared to their manga counterparts. Though same applies to non soujo/jousei stuff.
Old 2023-10-01, 07:24   Link #19
Jc1

I own a couple of shoujo manga I bought from my old job a decade ago. I would buy any manga from there because I get a 50% discount. But as for reading them, I don't think I have read any. I have read several romance shoujo manga, mostly short though that I see from mangaupdates.com
Jc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-14, 21:23   Link #20
Gally

When I was a kid, I absolutely wanted to buy Dragon Ball Z tomes, but my parents bought me Sailor Moon because it's softer (thanks dad, thanks mom lol). And that's how I took my first steps into Shōjo. To be honest, there are a few manga in this genre that I find interesting, like Maid Sama or Strobe Edge, but these days I'm mainly into Seinen or Shōnen.

On top of that, manga isn't very expensive in France, and I was able to buy the first three volumes of Nana for very little
Gally is offline   Reply With Quote