AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 27 32.93%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 35.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 20.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.10%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.22%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-16, 14:21   Link #101
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorai View Post
Also I wanted to ask about Kagami keeping her goldfish in a pond.
Well first of all, have you seen her gold-fish? It's HUGE! If you put him in a bowl, he can barely turn around. Secondly, the Hiiragi's live in a single unit home with a yard, and many Japanese yards have ponds. Most of them try to keep carp in them instead of a big-assed gold fish though. It works fine, since many Japanese can't imagine having a garden without a pond or sound of water. Most of these ponds have electrical pumps for water circulation; if they can afford it a mini water-fall will be installed instead. It's not just the looks of a pond filled with carp; it's also the sound of water falling. A garden is a spiritual and relaxing place... the sound of water is essential.

An ideal Japanese garden pond:

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-08-16 at 16:25.
Old 2007-08-16, 14:45   Link #102
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Since they actually credit "Gundam Ace Publishing Dept." in the end-credits, I wonder if it has all been squared with the rights-holder and the censoring is just for fun, and to prevent having too blatant an ad for another company's product in a KyoAni show.
Gundam Ace is a Kadokawa Shoten publication. They are the ones that have been pushing the references all this time it's Kadokawa. It's not a matter of what the studio wants in this case, but what Kadokawa wants, kind of like the Sunrise/Bandai relationship.
Old 2007-08-16, 14:59   Link #103
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
AVPlaya
Quote:
It's not just the looks of a pond filled with carp; it's also the sound of water falling. A garden is a spiritual and relaxing place... the sound of water is essential.
yep you're right. In my textbook there's some info about japanese gardens.
I also heard that carps are most common. perhaps traditional japanese gardens should have carps, only they are called 錦鯉.

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
Old 2007-08-16, 15:50   Link #104
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Spoiler for space:
That's just beautiful! I figured some Japanese must have ponds... It's just nice to read about ponds (with koi!) in the yard, as that's something that would be considered rare here... *Especially* rare where I live.
Old 2007-08-16, 18:54   Link #105
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I have some friends in Texas who have koi ponds amidst gardens ( my wife's grandfather had one that was regularly featured in the Houston newspapers ).

Biggest issue with koi is .... raccoons

If you head to the local bookstore there's bound to be a few picture books of Japanese gardens. Its calming just to flip the pages

We keep trying to build one but the aggressive alien interloping blackberry vines have other ideas.
Old 2007-08-16, 21:51   Link #106
Jecht2

does anyone know when a.f.k's adaptation is hitting the interweb?
Old 2007-08-16, 23:30   Link #107
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah.... since you just joined , I'll suggest you read the forum rules soon. (hint: asking when fansubs get released is a pretty quick trip to "time out" land)

Fansubbers release pretty much when they're able to allowing for Real Life since this is a hobby. a.f.k. was pretty regular but the last few episodes, they probably had some folks out on vacation so: who knows? It'll be released when it is done.

I do like the way you called it an "adaptation" though.
Old 2007-08-17, 00:19   Link #108
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

EP 19 References Part II

Okay! Time for Part II! Say Say Say! (Sorry, couldn't resist Hard Gay reference).

Spoiler for Long post, unhide to read:

====
Part I and II is only the reference for PART A of the anime! Part III coming soon!

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-08-17 at 00:31.
Old 2007-08-17, 00:43   Link #109
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Spoiler:
You can probably extend that to most of Asia, because my entire family prefer showers at night.
Old 2007-08-17, 09:51   Link #110
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Interesting cultural info AV adds alot to the show. I was wondering why such a techy otaku like kona was using such a silly old method for recording her show...Can't believe with all the crazy gadgets that japan thinks up they dont have Tivo.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2007-08-17, 13:31   Link #111
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
Interesting cultural info AV adds alot to the show. I was wondering why such a techy otaku like kona was using such a silly old method for recording her show...Can't believe with all the crazy gadgets that japan thinks up they dont have Tivo.
Alright, I do have to clarify this. I DID check on the status of Tivo-like device 2 years ago and there was nothing at the time... just to answer your question I've looked up the current DVR market in Japan today. Tivo was supposed to enter the Japanese market by 2006, but nothing came out of it. Sony did have a licensing deal with Tivo though and the current rumor is that some PS3s in Japan has a small Tivo logo in the back. Sony never offered a good DVR solution so it's very, very possible that PS3 will be running Tivo software soon. THAT would make DVR available to a lot of otakus.

Moreover, there are now a new crop of advanced DVRs with build-in programming guide Like Tivo now in the market place. Panasonic just offered a bunch of them recently, and they even offer a function to automatically record the first episodes of all dorama and ANIME. Yes they've even mentioned specifically anime, so perhaps the first adopters of these new DVR technology are in fact the Akiba-kei set. I think one of the main reason for otas like Kona to still use VCRs is cost - money is better spent buying limited edition Haruhi figurines than a Panny DVR.

A couple of things I want to address here. First of all, you'd be surprised how low-tech most otaku are in Japan. Although we commonly associate nerds/geeks with proficiency in Linux hacking skills, an anime otaku is not necessarily tech-savvy. There's another term for those who knows a lot about computers - Pasokon-otaku. Your average anime otaku probably knows a little more than your average consumer, being that most eroge can only be played on a computer, but not much more. They do not like to spend time tinkering with computer parts or coding ASP pages - I think they'd rather spend time playing games and watching anime. Thus even though there are a lot of cool technology in Japan, don't assume an anime otaku would take advantage of it. Some, like poor Kona, still stick to last gen analog technology to get their anime fix.

Secondly is the poor state of TV in Japan. NTT, the goverment-owned national telecommunication company, offers a 100MB fiber to most people in Japan. However, due to fear of monopoly from the private sector, they are prohibited from providing TV service to their customers. So in order to get cable TV, you'll have to get them from your local Cable provider. But here's the rub - Japanese land is super-expensive, and laying cable is almost impossible in some older neighborhoods. What's the option for cable vendors? They would have to RENT space from utilities or railways. However, in order to really reach the user-base, you'll need the TELEPHONE poles owned by, you guessed it, NTT. Since NTT is bend on offering TV service, they naturally made it very hard and expensive for cable vendors to use their poles. So the bottom line is, in order to get cable you'll need to be lucky enough to live close to a railway, and even when you do, your cable fee is very high. Most people then turn to Broadcast satellite TV services (BS, perhaps you've seen this logo in raws) IF the building they live in offer to put up an antenna for them. Most private homes go this route, but if you're in an apaato you're out of luck most of the time. Plus, BS is even more expensive than cable in term of monthly fee and equipment. Even under the BEST scenarios, you'll get at most 20-30 channels; compare that to the 300 plus channel comcast currently offers. Remember how Kona was crying about the fact she can't get cable? Now you know why.

For a guy who was one of the first Tivo users and have personally build many DVR Media PCs, I feel that I have to get this question correct. The AV in AVplaya stands for Audio-Visual after all (no, not Adult Video...).

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-08-17 at 15:20. Reason: Edit to make Risaa happy
Old 2007-08-17, 13:36   Link #112
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Although we commonly associate nerds with proficiency in Linux hacking skills, an anime otaku is not necessarily tech-savvy.
You're thinking of "geek", not "nerd".

(OK, so it depends who you ask.)
Old 2007-08-17, 13:47   Link #113
Vestus
Pasokon-Otaku

Send a message via AIM to Vestus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post

(OK, so it depends who you ask.)
I always thought:
Nerd - someone who's really obsessed/interested in anime, mtg, computers, etc. but not really an expert at any of them.

Geek - same as above but is an expert in them.

Honesty I don't really care what definition you use. Society basically butchered these terms so bad that it's impossible to deteremine the real definition. So whever.

I've found my new title - "Pasokon-Otaku"
Old 2007-08-17, 14:06   Link #114
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestus View Post
I always thought:
Nerd - someone who's really obsessed/interested in anime, mtg, computers, etc. but not really an expert at any of them.

O-lai, O-lai.. you both win...
Old 2007-08-17, 15:11   Link #115
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestus View Post
I always thought:

Honesty I don't really care what definition you use. Society basically butchered these terms so bad that it's impossible to deteremine the real definition. So whever.

I've found my new title - "Pasokon-Otaku"
That pretty much matches the definition my peers and my son's peers use.

"Geek" has evolved into a compliment (which is interesting given its linguistic roots).

"Nerd" is pretty much an insult no matter who delivers it.

Geeks are more likely to be technically inclined (as in they can build their own DVR and screw Tivo ) or at least recognize that expertise is required. Nerds are more likely to be exemplified by that loud monotonic guy sucking the fun out of a room while he quotes some horribly obscure rules passage to a card game (yes, there's some contradiction there).

Note that the definitions are actually more of a two-axis or three-axis overlap.
Expertise<--->Simple Obsession
Socially adept<----->"run away while not making eye contact"
... and of course, variety (sci-fi, d&d, sca, anime, railroad trains, etc)

Most people have wandering dots on the grid

Its kind of like watching the transmogrification of the word '"gay" from
happy, carefree ---> homosexual lifestyle ---> generally lame or uncool
... all three being correct or not depending on the context.

I would think DVRs (or computers with tv tuner cards) would be the smashing rage in Japan no matter *what* your signal source (especially ones with output connections or burners) but yeah, they seem to be quite rare on the japanese online vendors.
Old 2007-08-17, 16:35   Link #116
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

My definition:
Geek = Smart/obsessive about things that matter
Nerd = Smart/obsessive about things that don't

"Things that matter" are relative in mainstream popularity.

It's kind of surprising how middle class Asia tends to be a bit low-tech: the Hiiragis don't use the computer much, and I doubt they even have one. Schools discourage the use of technology in learning (imagine my surprise when I learn that American high schools use those huge graphing calculators), and people...just don't use comps that much. They prefer cell phones and handheld video games.
Old 2007-08-17, 17:01   Link #117
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
It's kind of surprising how middle class Asia tends to be a bit low-tech: the Hiiragis don't use the computer much, and I doubt they even have one. Schools discourage the use of technology in learning (imagine my surprise when I learn that American high schools use those huge graphing calculators), and people...just don't use comps that much. They prefer cell phones and handheld video games.
I dunno, I think this is really more a Japanese thing though. In Taiwan and Korea, most people have more than one PCs, and everyone is more tech friendly. In fact, one of the most popular accessories for ladies in Taiwan nowdays is a Windows Smartphone, and that's way before th iPhone days. I see less penetration of PCs in the average Japanese household, definitely. However, the Japanese are savvier when it comes to consumer electronics and they're willing to spend big money on them, as long as the form factor isn't too big. I would say that your average men are more interested in cool gadgets than anime otakus, since in Japan like the rest of Asia, tech knowledge is considered a cool and necessary everyday information for men (and increasing women), rather than a geek (did I use this correctly? ^^; ) thing. In Asia you'll find BAPE-wearing men and Prada-carrying women going gaga over the latest Sony 1080p LCD TV. Tech Geek is part of life, ANIME-Geek is not... yet. ^^
Old 2007-08-17, 21:04   Link #118
takumi2k4

Heh, my definition of geek and nerd goes like this:

Geek - Someone who's obsessed with Anime, video games, computers, technology, but at the same time can retain a perfectly normal lifestyle.

Nerd - Someone who's obsessed with Anime, video games, computers, technology, but he/she cannot live without those things.

It really is surprising how Japan is low-tech considering how many of the high-tech stuff they made. Heh, I actually have one of those huge graphing calculators, and they certainly are pricey, mine cost about $120 US even though I bought it at Wal-Mart! But yeah, US schools tend to use technology as much as they can. Every time we have a essay assignment in English, my teacher always takes us down to the computer "labs" and we type it up there, she recommends getting a USB flash drive so you can use it between the school PC's and your PC, and if you missed a school day, she asks you to scan the homework or project(if possible) and email it to her, and this is only in the public schools, as far as I know, private schools actually provide laptops to their students, granted you pay for it with the tuition.

But it's kinda understandable that PC's have a low penetration rate in Japan, because their cell phones are practically computers already. All of Japan uses the brand new network called "3G" and it is as fast as broadband connections. Last I heard the standard data transfer rate was around 3Mbps, which is what my current DSL connection is using!

Actually not all of middle class Asia is low-tech, like AVPlaya has said, even one of the poorest Asian countries, my home country as well, the Philippines is rife with technology. I went and took a vacation there 3 years ago, and aside from the still rampant piracy of software/games/whatever, it's suprisingly more high-tech than the US. Cashiers at a McDonalds and Jollibee had Bluetooth headsets plugged in their ears, Taxi drivers have PDA's with them, it's just not something you can find in a poor country. I can't wait and see what new things they have up there next year.

Lol, Windows Smartphones? Are they on crack or something? I had a HTC Tornado/SDA for a week and the Windows interface was complete crap, meanwhile, Symbian in the Nokia N80 was so awesome, I can't wait to get my hands on a US version of the Nokia N95. At least they actually got some good stuff, I actually feel sorry for those who bought an iPhone, it's complete crap, there's no 3G, no 5 Megapixel camera, and of all things, you could've bought a PS3 with that money, don't forget the bill as well. The N95 might be $150 more than the JesusPhone, but at least it's price is actually worth it, hell, you may as well have bought the Meizu M8 if ya really wanted a touch screen.
Old 2007-08-17, 21:54   Link #119
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
My definition:
Geek = Smart/obsessive about things that matter
Nerd = Smart/obsessive about things that don't

"Things that matter" are relative in mainstream popularity.
That's backwards.

Nerdish stuff are more on the academic enthusiam. Like Math , Science, History etc.

Geekish stuff are hobbyists of popular culture. Like Trekkies, Star Wars Fans and Otaku.

Yes people Otaku is a subset of Geek.

One couldn't call Konata a nerd because she doesn't have a study habit.

Now Miyuki is nerd because she's a study bug. (Not to mention glasses are stereotypical of nerds because we sleep reading at night. Bad for eyesight habit.)
Old 2007-08-17, 22:22   Link #120
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
That's backwards.
Nerdish stuff are more on the academic enthusiam. Like Math , Science, History etc.
Geekish stuff are hobbyists of popular culture. Like Trekkies, Star Wars Fans and Otaku.
Yes people Otaku is a subset of Geek.
One couldn't call Konata a nerd because she doesn't have a study habit.
Now Miyuki is nerd because she's a study bug. (Not to mention glasses are stereotypical of nerds because we sleep reading at night. Bad for eyesight habit.)
That's closer to how I view them (sorry, I know you don't want this to turn into a nerd/geek discussion ). I see nerds and geeks having usually very different interests; I say "usually" because there are always exceptions.

One last thing to add: generally, I find geeks way more fun than nerds. (But beware the snobby mean ones!)
Closed Thread