AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2016-03-02, 11:05   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 818 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

First spoiler pic is out, so you know the drill! Credit goes to AP's Redon and Sandman for the info:

-Chapter title is "Inside the Whale". Splash page features Sabo, Dragon, and Koala at Vertigo (RA's HQ, remember).

-Raizou says it was an accident that he ended up showing off his ninja tricks. Afterwards, he and the other two samurai cry at the sight of the ruined country, saying that it's not alive anymore (though they deny that they're shedding tears). Raizou begs for the minks' forgiveness, and wishes to repay them. Soon, Nekomamushi comes along, and invites everyone inside the whale, as Robin has finished deciphering the red Poneglyph....

-It's explained that the whale forest is sacred precisely because of that stone. As it turns out, the red stone is known as the Road Poneglyph, and its purpose is to show the way to Raftel. There are four Road Poneglyphs total, and combining the contents of all of them is supposed to reveal the path to the legendary island. Luffy is excited about this information and wants to bring Sanji back soon. However, there's a problem as to the locations of the remaining 3 stones: Two of them are in the possession of pirates. Specifically, Big Mom and Kaidou of 100 Beasts. As for the last stone, its whereabouts are currently unknown.....

-However, Nekomamushi proposes an alternative, less risky way to get the three remaining stones. Instead of undertaking the monumental risk of snatching them from the emperors.... get their copies instead. For, as it turns out, Momo's Kouzuki clan are an ancient lineage of stonemasons who originally created the Poneglyphs! From generation to generation, the method to read and write the ancient text was handed down..... that is, up until Momo's father, that is. Unfortunately, the daimyo has met with a most grim fate, for he was already executed by both Kaidou AND the current shogun of Wano...!!

-And speaking of Momo's father, he has some more interesting history behind him: for Kouzuki Oden has traveled to Raftel with Gol D. Roger, and uncovered the secrets of the world....!!!!

-Nekomamushi is concerned for Robin, since she would undoubtedly still be targeted due to her ability to read poneglyphs, However, that doesn't worry her, as she has her companions by her side. It also turns out that Oden was executed in order to protect his subordinates. It seems that Kaidou is quite interested in learning those same secrets that Oden knew, and as such, he and his crew are currently using Wano as their base....!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2016-03-03 at 14:51.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-03, 01:18   Link #2
marvelB

Alrighty, summary updated! Lots of big info this chapter!

Edit: Heh, AP's Redon pointed out something interesting:

Spoiler:
Old 2016-03-03, 05:32   Link #3
danielevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Alrighty, summary updated! Lots of big info this chapter!

Edit: Heh, AP's Redon pointed out something interesting:

Spoiler:
Yeah, that can be..
Some theory also say that the one who drink with crocus is gol d roger member scopper gaban..
danielevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-03, 06:43   Link #4
foxbox360
New Age Badass

Next arc: Wano, confirmed
Old 2016-03-03, 10:40   Link #5
The Small One

They were able to hand down the knowledge on how to create indestructible stones and write in a long forgotten language, but they couldn't do the same with the knowledge of what happend during the lost centuries?

BTW, strange that they are supposed to be stonemasons and Samurai. In historic ancient japan there was a separation between the ruling class and artisans.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-03, 12:25   Link #6
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Now we know why many haven't reached Raftel. You can't just go there. The pieces of the puzzle need to be put together and deciphered. Sounds like a great chapter.
Old 2016-03-03, 13:15   Link #7
J4n1

Well, that was interesting.
Now the only real question is, do they go after Big Mom and grab Sanji first, or do it after Kaidou and Wano country for the knowledge.
I hope for Big Mom to grab Sanji back.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-03, 13:20   Link #8
foxbox360
New Age Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
Well, that was interesting.
Now the only real question is, do they go after Big Mom and grab Sanji first, or do it after Kaidou and Wano country for the knowledge.
I hope for Big Mom to grab Sanji back.
They could split the group again, Luffy can use his newly formed fleets for help.
Old 2016-03-03, 13:26   Link #9
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

You know…for the past couple of years, my interest in One Piece had waned quite a bit but this chapter…way to finally reinvigorate this series for me~
Old 2016-03-03, 13:31   Link #10
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox360 View Post
They could split the group again, Luffy can use his newly formed fleets for help.
They could.
But i don't really see them going against one of the yonkou and winning with half the crew, even with the fleet.
Winning, even with full party + fleet, should be fairly difficult as is.
Unless they do a smash and grab, even if they just do a smash and grab, and i really don't see Luffy doing a smash and grab after declaring war.

plus i hate the idea of splitting the party.

edit-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
You know…for the past couple of years, my interest in One Piece had waned quite a bit but this chapter…way to finally reinvigorate this series for me~
same for me with Dress Rosa arc, but damn things are getting kicked up a notch now.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-03, 13:32   Link #11
Rainbowman

Here's my prediction for the next chapter: Luffy's Strawhat Crew would go and rescue Sanji and get the Lord Poneglyph from Big Mom. And Law's crew goes to Wano and get the Lord Poneglyph from Kaidou. A better plan than separate the Strawhat crew AGAIN!!!!!!!
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-03, 13:37   Link #12
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
same for me with Dress Rosa arc, but damn things are getting kicked up a notch now.
It wasn't just the Dressrossa Arc. Ever since the Fishman Island Arc for me. I feel like once Rayleigh left the stage of the main story, One Piece has just been about the crew getting dragged around while seemingly forgetting the aim that they set out with. But now…hopefully, the next chapters are as good as this one.
Old 2016-03-03, 13:52   Link #13
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Duuuude, this chapter is like one of the most important ones in the whole story so far, damn. We got three really big reveals, that will be massively important going forward. Great stuff. My guess is Oden was tortured to death for not spilling out the location of Raftel to Kaido. But he's hunting Momo for no reason in a way, since he doesn't know either and he can't read the ancient texts. Maybe there is some other key piece of the puzzle, though.
Old 2016-03-03, 14:04   Link #14
SeanQ

hmm you'd technically would only need 3 of the 4 glyphs to find the island =0
Old 2016-03-03, 14:12   Link #15
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

we are in the main plot!!

I really hope Oda won't separate the crews.. Against Big Mom, they might avoid head-on attack.
but for Wano Kingdom, it would be a very amazing arc... Imagine if whole samurai, ninja, minks would fight together with Strawhat crews against Kaido
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-03, 14:48   Link #16
homohominilupus

Amazing chapter,things arestarting to move big time.

I got 2 questions regarding the summary:
1. Is it "Lord poneglyph" or "Road poneglyph"?
2. You said here that momo's dad was executed by both Kaido and the current shogun. However in translation I read that he was executed by Kaido,the current shogun. Are there 2 people or 1? (Probably 1,but the summary is a bit misleading).

And lol eve Franky's hair was shovked at one moment
homohominilupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-03, 14:54   Link #17
itachi-san314

I love how tied in to the whole story the samurai have become! Solid stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
My guess is Oden was tortured to death for not spilling out the location of Raftel to Kaido. But he's hunting Momo for no reason in a way, since he doesn't know either and he can't read the ancient texts. Maybe there is some other key piece of the puzzle, though.
It sounded to me like Oden knew more than just the location of Raftel. I bet he was privy to a lot of Roger's knowledge. Momo might know or have things that he doesn't realize yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanQ View Post
Not necessarily. Just pick 3 points and then put the fourth one in random places. 3 locations gets you close to the center, but there's a lot of room for error, especially if the seas are dangerous and I'm assuming they are. I wouldn't be surprised if someone does try to find Raftel with only 3 locations though.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-03, 15:21   Link #18
marvelB

So... I think some here may recall what I said in a few past threads about the Straw-Heart alliance manipulating both Big Mama and Kaidou into going to war with each other, yes? Well, I can't see a better opportunity than now to put such a plan in motion, in light of these recent reveals. That way, they lessen the amount risk needed to face both emperors individually, and get to grab the necessary treasures (Sanji, glyphs). Two birds, two stones.

And as far as that fourth unknown Road Poneglyph goes..... well, I am kinda curious about that one glyph Jinbei found during his ministory.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielevo View Post
Yeah, that can be..
Some theory also say that the one who drink with crocus is gol d roger member scopper gaban..
Yeah, Scopper is definitely a possibility, as well. Though again, this sheds some new light on that scene now that we know of another of Roger's companions (though that would have to mean that Crocus' meeting with the stranger took place before the execution happened. Unless.....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by homohominilupus View Post
I got 2 questions regarding the summary:
1. Is it "Lord poneglyph" or "Road poneglyph"?
2. You said here that momo's dad was executed by both Kaido and the current shogun. However in translation I read that he was executed by Kaido,the current shogun. Are there 2 people or 1? (Probably 1,but the summary is a bit misleading).

I switched it to "Road" since it looks like even the Chinese translation is sticking with that spelling (and it actually makes more sense anyway since it's supposed to show the "road" to Raftel). As for your second question, I've seen several other sources (which I personally find more trustworthy) refer to two people being responsible for Oden's death, so that's what I'm sticking with. Besides, like I mentioned in the previous chapter thread, Shogun is a hereditary title, so the only way I can see Kaidou becoming one officially is if he wiped out Momo's entire bloodline..... but I think it would be a lot more convenient for him to simply use the current ruler as his puppet.
Old 2016-03-03, 15:22   Link #19
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Hmm not exactly, you need 4 corners to make a "X".
Old 2016-03-03, 15:31   Link #20
schedmaster

Quote:
You make a triangle with 3 of the 4 glyphs (precise). You make a quadrilateral with all 4 glyphs with the center marking the spot (accurate) through crossing diagonal lines which makes the x. You do understand right?
schedmaster is offline   Reply With Quote