AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-10, 20:26   Link #61
babbito2k
annoying white bat

ADV has been packaging first episodes of various new releases in Newtype USA lately, so it's not like there's no way to preview these titles before buying. Obviously the company is within its rights to stifle distribution of stuff they are working on and even releasing.

Looks like some people will have to adapt a little and get used to usenet or irc or whatever; it's hard to countenance people thinking that no torrents=no way to find/get the anime. It's bad enough that people have no clue about the history of anime, but now they don't even know the history of downloading anime...

The rest of this is just the usual "I smoke blunts, I download anime, I'm a bad MF" stuff that just goes on and on. Feel free to "boycott" stuff you can't wait to buy and everyone else will feel free to ignore y'all...
Old 2004-06-10, 20:27   Link #62
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
So...

Has anyone decided "well, I can't download ADV titles any more, I guess I'd better start spending money/more money on them instead?"

It's certainly made me less likely to spend on them, it's more effort to have a look at their shows now and see if I like them, plus I prefer a more genial and moral-trust-based relationship, so bringing in the law and being adversarial puts me off. Given a choice, I'm going to choose to support companies who behave in a way I like.
Oh, cut it out. You're a file pirate and ADV doesn't care about you. Besides, I'm sure you're just rolling in despair over this life-wrenching decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomuserofvenezu
Since when anime.mircx.com is located in United States?. anime.mircx.com is located in Canada if you didn't know that.

and ADV didn't bought the whole language package, just the USA package, so they have no right to tell them to take down the whole series in any language.
Region 1, close enough.

"language package"?!
Old 2004-06-10, 20:30   Link #63
Panon

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomuserofvenezu
Since when anime.mircx.com is located in United States?. anime.mircx.com is located in Canada if you didn't know that.

and ADV didn't bought the whole language package, just the USA package, so they have no right to tell them to take down the whole series in any language.
Actually you're wrong, as ADV commonly sublicense their titles to companies in other countries such as Region 2 and Region 4, so it's definately not just a matter of them having the rights to the USA and nothing else.

Also, their Region 1 rights cover Canada as well, so Mircx being hosted there is irrelevant.
Old 2004-06-10, 20:33   Link #64
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Why are people acting as if ADV are the bad guys? They're just doing something that they have the right to do...hell i know i would most likely do the same thing if i was a giant anime company and i saw torrents for series i had the rights to...

and i dont' see how they doing what they did merits people not buying their stuff...Bandai did the same thing a while ago with gits and ninja scroll...yet noone went to boycott them or refuse to buy their products...
Old 2004-06-10, 20:42   Link #65
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Oh, cut it out. You're a file pirate and ADV doesn't care about you.
Since I've bought several ADV titles in the past, and will (probably) continue to do so, thus giving them money, if ADV doesn't care about people like me they're thinking in a rather odd way. By the way, what does attacking ships on the high seas and murdering the people on them have to do with the discussion? Or do you agree with the people who first used the term in the field of copyright infringement that copyright infringement is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas and murdering the people on them?

(I'm not American either. And neither am I looking for sympathy. I'm trying to advance the debate on whether the system to reward artists that was devised when unauthorised copying meant you owned a printing press is still the best system to use today.)
Old 2004-06-10, 20:47   Link #66
Worldestroyer
IRC lurker

Send a message via AIM to Worldestroyer Send a message via MSN to Worldestroyer
It would now seem that Anime-Mircx is down. (by down i mean the server/DNS are disconnected, you won't even get that message)
Old 2004-06-10, 20:51   Link #67
Panon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
Why are people acting as if ADV are the bad guys?
Because they're upset that they can't get their free anime.
Old 2004-06-10, 20:53   Link #68
lavarock
Busy wasting my time..:-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Why? This makes no impact on how we do things here at AnimeSuki.
Well it's just a switch for my own perference, since apprently Japanese companies has tighten control how fansubs are distributed in U.S.
While some people have to deal with all the legal stuff, you can still get them for free in your own language by <insert language here> fansub groups. As in many cases, the fansub quality has grown as well as speed for those foreign fansub groups.
Therefore instead of deal all these legal issues with the English fansub groups, some people (include me) will just start getting the ones in our native language.
Don't know if it applies to many people, just my opinion.
Old 2004-06-10, 20:59   Link #69
lavarock
Busy wasting my time..:-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
ADV has been packaging first episodes of various new releases in Newtype USA lately, so it's not like there's no way to preview these titles before buying. Obviously the company is within its rights to stifle distribution of stuff they are working on and even releasing.
Yes, ADV has such rights, such as M$ has the right to sue whoever uses their name in any form.
However, IMO, the prosperity of U.S anime market today should be largely credited to the free fansub from years before. It seems to me after the companies started to get the market, they abandoned the people that build the road for them.
Just my rant for this subject...
Old 2004-06-10, 21:04   Link #70
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
HAHAHA!!!

Oh wow, it's amusing seeing the whiners on this board and elsewhere: "ADV is evil! I hate them! Let's boycott ADV and all those evil anime companies!"

Now you know why Animesuki maintains a no-licensed-anime policy.
HAHAHA, we are all evil you know, We download anime!
Old 2004-06-10, 21:12   Link #71
Panon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavarock
However, IMO, the prosperity of U.S anime market today should be largely credited to the free fansub from years before. It seems to me after the companies started to get the market, they abandoned the people that build the road for them.
Just my rant for this subject...
Ok then, since the entire purpose behind fansubbing was to increase the awareness of unlicesed anime in the hopes of getting it licensed, and these particular titles ADV are stopping are licensed ones, exactly where is your complaint?
Old 2004-06-10, 21:16   Link #72
Worldestroyer
IRC lurker

Oh god... all this drama is giving me a headache.

What happened to the gold ol' days when the internet used to be a pr0n portal?
I feel so sad.
Old 2004-06-10, 21:49   Link #73
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panon
Because they're upset that they can't get their free anime.
What's the big deal? I always have to pay for my anime. I never download episodes. If you want anime, pay for it. It's not only something that the rich can only buy.
Old 2004-06-10, 21:51   Link #74
get_a_life
hentai! banzai!

Send a message via AIM to get_a_life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldestroyer
Oh god... all this drama is giving me a headache.

What happened to the gold ol' days when the internet used to be a pr0n portal?
I feel so sad.
it still is a pr0n portal. more than ever!

- - - -

okay back to the topic, things like this will eventually happen. i mean cmon, how can we forget the whole napster thing? you think anime.mircx.com could avoid this sort of thing when they get lots of attention? no. it was bound to happen. eventually all the major sites will get tracked. but i doubt we could stop the distribution via mirc though. wish i knew how to work that pos mofo. anyway im giving bt a few more years till it gets cracked down.

meanwhile, cmon people stop crying over things that you knew would happen.

oh yeah i forgot to mention raws. i dont think anyone is gonna cry about the distribution of raws... yet

so that leaves you two options:
- pwn4ge/crying/whining/bitching or
- learn japanese.

Last edited by get_a_life; 2004-06-10 at 22:07.
Old 2004-06-10, 21:53   Link #75
method

Japan hasn't been cracking down on fansubbing directly. Most of their efforts focused on stopping distribution of copyrighted material in their own country. A side effect of shutting down the various programs was that it made it harder for groups to acquire the raws needed for fansubs.
Old 2004-06-10, 22:05   Link #76
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
The same message is on downloadanime, but they listed the titles that ADV wants them to remove.

Strangely they list Sailor Moon. We already know that they lost that license. That makes me think that this might be a hoax if they made such a basic error. Still, he claims in that post that he contacted ADV and they confirmed this...
Can we understand by that listing they don't mind us downloading Chrno Crusade ? This is ridiculus seriously do they even know what anime they buy and get the rights of ? Anyway if the tracker is down permanently I guess its futile.
Old 2004-06-10, 22:10   Link #77
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
eh. Doesn't bother me. I don't download licensed anime. I'd feel guilty. So, good job ADV. Now they need to work on putting more episodes on each DVD and lowering the price per disc.
Old 2004-06-10, 22:14   Link #78
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulkar
eh. Doesn't bother me. I don't download licensed anime. I'd feel guilty. So, good job ADV. Now they need to work on putting more episodes on each DVD and lowering the price per disc.
Whoa! Slow down there, man. Take this one little tep at a time for the price thing. Besides, I think $30 for 4 to 5 episodes on each DVD is cheap.
Old 2004-06-10, 22:33   Link #79
Worldestroyer
IRC lurker

they over-inflate each DVD. This is fine on small series, that require a decent # of dvd's for the company to profit. But when they charge 30$ for 3 episodes on a 150ep series... thats insanely overpriced.
Old 2004-06-10, 22:34   Link #80
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

Send a message via AIM to Uska Send a message via Yahoo to Uska
Heh well yea, say anything you want about me but I refrain many times from buying a ADV licensed anime. Why? I hate em, they've been assholes to me, and they make me pay too much for a DVD. I gotta pay 29.99 per DVD, and i'm a poor dude. And no, i'm not cheap either because I have a choice- I can either watch anime or I can eat. Per month I only have enough for 1 or two mangas(and if you don't buy manga these day's you're REALLY cheap) and 1 DVD, and it's usually something Geneon or Bandai did. They have great series and do wonderful jobs with everything, but even with that I sometimes can't even afford them, but when I can I know I spent my money right. I will admit, ADV is doing good with Newtype and it's manga. But I still don't feel like wasting my money on ADV till their prices go down, and well that goes for every company too. The only company I see so far trying to do something about prices is Geneon. I think it's great they're releasing Tsukihime on 3 DVDs, i'm definately buying that. And I also think it's pure beauty that they're releasing Fushigi Yuugi at 25$ with 6 or 7 eps per DVD.
Geneon- now THERE'S a good anime company.
Closed Thread