AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2010-01-30, 19:24   Link #22121
luap1138

I love the new Interlude, Kaisos. I particularly enjoyed Mitsuuru being the voice of reason this time around. Poor schmuck deserves more moments like that (although if he is still wearing the bunny ears in the Interlude, that would kind of kill the moment ).

Also, regarding the additional lines you added for the Moron variable (best name ever for a variable, btw ), I don't think it is possible to have both Moron and KyonkoMeeting set as true; from what I understood, one only got the KyonkoMeeting variable if one made it to the Hobo Girl scene, which would necessarily mean one would not have the Moron variable, and vise versa.

But whatever. It's not important right now, so don't mind me; I'm just someone who gets anal over these kind of things .
luap1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 19:29   Link #22122
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by luap1138 View Post
Also, regarding the additional lines you added for the Moron variable (best name ever for a variable, btw ), I don't think it is possible to have both Moron and KyonkoMeeting set as true; from what I understood, one only got the KyonkoMeeting variable if one made it to the Hobo Girl scene, which would necessarily mean one would not have the Moron variable, and vise versa.
You could just move KyonkoMeeting to the time you actually met her, insted being in the end of the serie of cenes. It don't really matter, tough, as you can just exclude the 'AND' and the scene still works.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 19:41   Link #22123
scify
Sometimes minor editor

Send a message via MSN to scify
Hmm... Itsuko seems rather protective of Kyonko. I like it.

About the edits... it'll happen. Some time. I promise. Possibly even within the next week.
Shadow takes all.
scify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 20:30   Link #22124
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
If someone were to take Kyonko's route first (that's possible, right? Based on that one interlude that congratulated you for doing it first or whatever), would they then not learn the information regarding the other universe at this point in time? Is that the price for having neither Kyon at the scene?
Taking the Kyonko path first is only possible in the demo.

Regardless, when Itsuko hunts Kyonko down on Day 6, the player/Kyonko will find out then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
I found kinda ironic Itsuko being described as the 'usual voice of reason' while Mitsuuru is usually the 'voice of faith', considering Itsuko is the member of the weird religious Organization.
Mitsuuru believes whatever he's told by his superiors, whereas Itsuko tends to think for herself. But yes, it is rather ironic.

Quote:
I love the new Interlude, Kaisos. I particularly enjoyed Mitsuuru being the voice of reason this time around. Poor schmuck deserves more moments like that (although if he is still wearing the bunny ears in the Interlude, that would kind of kill the moment ).
I knew I forgot something. But yeah, sure, let's have him keep the ears for now, in that path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
You could just move KyonkoMeeting to the time you actually met her, insted being in the end of the serie of cenes. It don't really matter, tough, as you can just exclude the 'AND' and the scene still works.
Yeah, that's what I'll be doing. Move the Meeting variable to the first scene with her.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 23:22   Link #22125
luap1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I knew I forgot something. But yeah, sure, let's have him keep the ears for now, in that path.
I approve of this. I can only imagine the shenanigans to be had with this in Coop Route.

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'll be doing. Move the Meeting variable to the first scene with her.
Awesome. Sounds good, though I would suggest having it trigger only if Kyon gives Kyonko his card.
Old 2010-01-31, 02:36   Link #22126
s07195
However,

For some reason, the interlude 10 kinda reminds me of E8 (the part where they find out that they've been stuck in a time loop).
Bunny ears FTW!
@luap I agree about having the variable at the library card choice

btw, could someone explain the routesclear variable to me? Is it you have to clear all other routes for this one? And for the demo, you can choose it from the start?

Plus, how about the true/final routes? Will it have a routesclear variable and will they be in the demo?

EDIT: better not answer that last question. It's kinda stupid. Course they'll be in the demo. (I hope)
Old 2010-01-31, 05:21   Link #22127
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Day 6's True version does not feature in the demo, and FINAL isn't exactly a route, although it must be "unlocked".

Spoiler for September the Sixth, Day 5, Interlude 11 (I)- Lord Have Mercy:

This is the first of three scenes dealing with Haruki... I also updated Interlude 9 with a bit more of what he can do... that is, pretty well anything.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2010-01-31 at 06:10.
Old 2010-01-31, 06:09   Link #22128
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Day 6's True version does not feature in the demo, and FINAL isn't exactly a route, although it must be "unlocked".

Spoiler for September the Sixth, Day 5, Interlude 11 (I)- Lord Have Mercy:

This is the first of three scenes dealing with Haruki... I also updated Interlude 9 with a bit more of what he can do... that is, pretty well anything.
Suddenly I'm liking Haruhi so much more than usual. What one can do with testosterone...
edkedkedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 10:20   Link #22129
luap1138

Ah, I see what's going on here. I was wondering how you were going to fit in the Melancholy's End flashback with the headphones locked away/destroyed.

Anyway, great scene.

Edit: Okay, just read those changes you made to Interlude 9. Great additions, especially the (Jamaican?) merchant.

Last edited by luap1138; 2010-01-31 at 10:32.
Old 2010-01-31, 10:57   Link #22130
GDB

Quote:
Heh. "Only a genius can turn imagination into reality." I guess she was right after all.
I just got a weird flash of Fate/Stay Night here. Imagined Haruki "tracing" right before the winged giant part.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 15:25   Link #22131
luap1138

@s07195 As its name implies, the RoutesClear variable tracks the number of routes completed in the game (though I'm not sure if this requires getting the "good" endings for them). All of the later routes in the game only become accessible once a certain number of routes have been cleared by the player. A quick rundown (as far as I have come to understand) is as follows:

The player starts out with access to only three routes: Alien, Time Traveler, and Esper. Each of these routes must be played through twice (once for the main route, and once for its subroute) before it is considered cleared by the game.

Once the player has cleared those three routes, s/he gains access to Divine Route (also known as God Route). After that comes Cooperation Route, then True Route, and then, assuming the player can find it (and trust me, unless you've memorized the flowcharts or something, you'll have a hell of a time doing so), Hijack Route.

Only after clearing Hijack does the player have the ability to unlock the FINAL ending (note, however, that clearing Hijack does not do this automatically), which is apparently an alternate ending for True Route, and is the canon ending.

Additionally, there are three Bad End routes which one can get (and an additional bonus Bad End in the demo), but do not count towards the RoutesCleared variable.

So yeah. That's your needlessly indepth explanation on the structure of the routes in the game from someone not even involved in making it (I spend way too much time on this thread ). Hope that helps!

(Also, sorry if I'm stepping on any toes, Kaisos.)
Old 2010-01-31, 15:43   Link #22132
Magnificate

Quote:
three routes: Alien, Time Traveler, and Esper. Each of these routes must be played through twice [...] gains access to Divine Route [...] After that comes Cooperation Route, then True Route, and then, [...] Hijack Route. [...] unlock the FINAL ending
Question: Is considered normal, as in standard design feature, for visual novels to make the player replay the game that many times to be able to reach all possible options? From what I understand in that project after the first three routes you are essentially forced to play in the order provided by the game designer.

The only remotely similar game I completed is Phoenix Wright, which didn't really include the idea of routes.
Magnificate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 15:48   Link #22133
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnificate View Post
The only remotely similar game I completed is Phoenix Wright, which didn't really include the idea of routes.
Though it wasn't to this degree, in Fate/Stay Night you had to play the Fate route first, and then you had to play Unlimited Blade Works (unless you wanted to repeat Fate for some reason). I forget if you needed both Normal and True for UBW before unlocking Heaven's Feel, but you couldn't get that one until the prior two were done.

That is quite a lot of routes, though.
Old 2010-01-31, 18:56   Link #22134
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Edit: Okay, just read those changes you made to Interlude 9. Great additions, especially the (Jamaican?) merchant.
I have no idea how you'd render it in Japanese, but yeah, he's Jamaican, mon.

Quote:
The player starts out with access to only three routes: Alien, Time Traveler, and Esper. Each of these routes must be played through twice (once for the main route, and once for its subroute) before it is considered cleared by the game.
You don't have to beat the subroutes to get access to Divine, but you do have to beat the main route to unlock the subroutes.

Otherwise, yeah, that's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnificate View Post
Question: Is considered normal, as in standard design feature, for visual novels to make the player replay the game that many times to be able to reach all possible options? From what I understand in that project after the first three routes you are essentially forced to play in the order provided by the game designer.
We're kind of unique in that regard, I believe. But the game's structure makes sense once you understand the plot, trust me.

Quote:
That is quite a lot of routes, though.
Clannad has 11, counting the Baseball Route and After Story, and 12 if you count Koumura even though he really isn't anything other than a mandatory bad end.

Moving on... I have this.

Spoiler for September the Sixth, Day 5, Memories: Flashes in Space (Melancholy's End):

Please Enjoy~.

TWO. SCENES. LEFT.
Old 2010-01-31, 19:18   Link #22135
GDB

Quote:
It's a secret to everybody.
Absolutely love it.

Oh yeah, forgot to ask something. Is this part one of Haruki's exaggerations again, or was this a change made for the Seitenkan version of Melancholy?

Quote:
Spoiler for September the Sixth, Day 5, Memories: Flashes in Space (Melancholy's End):

Last edited by GDB; 2010-01-31 at 19:42.
Old 2010-01-31, 19:30   Link #22136
luap1138

Quote:
You don't have to beat the subroutes to get access to Divine, but you do have to beat the main route to unlock the subroutes.

Otherwise, yeah, that's correct.
Ah, okay. Does that mean that the subroutes are not required to beat the game?

Quote:
Kyonko having Haruhi moments! Haruki having Kyon moments!

The square indeed.

Also, it was nice to see the end of Melancholy for the Seitenkan universe (I haven't gotten around to reading the Seitenkan version of Melancholy, so I enjoyed seeing the differences).

Quote:
TWO. SCENES. LEFT.
Yessssss.
Old 2010-01-31, 20:12   Link #22137
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Oh yeah, forgot to ask something. Is this part one of Haruki's exaggerations again, or was this a change made for the Seitenkan version of Melancholy?
Both, sorta. She does agree in the original rewrite, but only to try and stop him from finding that last image.

Quote:
Ah, okay. Does that mean that the subroutes are not required to beat the game?
They are not, no. They only offer either a) Shipping or b) A happier ending, usually. Nothing in the way of plot development.

Spoiler for September the Sixth, Day 5, Interlude 11 (II)- I Love You:

ONE. SCENE. LEFT.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2010-01-31 at 20:25.
Old 2010-01-31, 20:19   Link #22138
GDB

Man, you're on fire!

Quote:
Both, sorta. She does agree in the original rewrite, but only to try and stop him from finding that last image.
Good to know, thanks.

Quote:
the throne of Haruhi Suzumiya.
This is supposed to be Haruki, I presume?
Old 2010-01-31, 20:25   Link #22139
s07195
However,

o_o That last scene was epic. Though you kinda forgot to put in Interlude 11A Slipstream to its title.

Let us now take that final dash to the finish line. The roads may be dangerous and full of crack, but we will take it anyways, for this is the power of seitenkan!

Man I'm going crazy.

Good luck with the final one!
Old 2010-01-31, 21:04   Link #22140
luap1138

Quote:
They are not, no. They only offer either a) Shipping or b) A happier ending, usually. Nothing in the way of plot development.
I see. Basically, they're just extra fun for those who replay the earlier routes. Cool.

Quote:
Spoiler for September the Sixth, Day 5, Interlude 11 (II)- I Love You:
Epic. Haruki has finally broken out of his universe, destroying it in the process (I think).

Awesome.

Quote:
ONE. SCENE. LEFT.

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan