AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-12-17, 04:57   Link #281
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Here here Lightly Toasted. (That's how I like my bread by the way ^_^)

A couple quick things...

1) I checked the kadokawa site...Lawrence? KRAFT Lawrence? KRAFT? As in like, KRAFT MACARONI & CHEESE? Oh well...it is the USA version of the same company...does that mean the Japanese agreed to using the L's? /sigh
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 17:34   Link #282
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They're spelling it German/Celt-Kelt style.... which is fine by me because (drumroll) that actually makes a bit of sense.

On the other hand ... No(l)a?(Nora). I believe we're watching an acting out of "someone made a mistake up front but we're not going to embarrass them by changing it even when its clear to beginning language students"
Old 2008-12-17, 20:51   Link #283
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
On the other hand ... No(l)a?(Nora). I believe we're watching an acting out of "someone made a mistake up front but we're not going to embarrass them by changing it even when its clear to beginning language students"
Well, I'd wait and see. Kadokawa USA probably is just posting the current official romanizations (the arguable errors of that initial decision someone made notwithstanding), but that doesn't mean they'll be opposed to having licensees change it. There've certainly been cases in the past where licensors have stubbornly refused to allow licensees to change romanizations or pronunciations, but I'm sure there must also be a lot of cases where these changes were permitted. We just normally would have never noticed the "good changes", because it all happened behind closed doors and the product came out in the way we expected.

I'm assuming that people are just sort of preparing themselves for the worst so they can be surprised if it does get fixed, but I guess I'm not so fatalistic. When it does get licensed (next week...?), people who feel strongly about the issue should be sure to write to the licensee to make their feelings known. Even licensors have been known to bow to public pressure.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 20:56   Link #284
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Hopefully it never gets licensed. Ever.

So I can buy the license myself when I'm rich.
Old 2008-12-17, 23:25   Link #285
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I won't buy the licensed release if they use Holo, don't really care about Nora. but Holo is just... no.

But I intend to buy the Japanese BD box anyway, so whatever I guess.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-18, 11:03   Link #286
xizro345
King's Justice

I'm one of the few that thinks that Kadokawa's announcement back then had nothing to do with the intention of importing the series, but was aimed at stopping competition for their own JP-only (as of now) streaming service. You'd better stick with R2 DVDs for now.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-18, 23:58   Link #287
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
I'm one of the few that thinks that Kadokawa's announcement back then had nothing to do with the intention of importing the series, but was aimed at stopping competition for their own JP-only (as of now) streaming service. You'd better stick with R2 DVDs for now.
I tend think you're right ... they seem terror-struck by the idea of "reverse importation" (though that rarely happens) as well.

There's not a lot of "action" in this series, its dialog intensive ... I could see it getting a "subtitle-only" release in R1 -- I'd almost prefer no one try to dub it unless they're willing to spend a LOT more money on acting talent and an excellent translation. And that is not likely to happen.
Old 2008-12-19, 01:27   Link #288
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Quote:
I tend think you're right ... they seem terror-struck by the idea of "reverse importation" (though that rarely happens) as well.

There's not a lot of "action" in this series, its dialog intensive ... I could see it getting a "subtitle-only" release in R1 -- I'd almost prefer no one try to dub it unless they're willing to spend a LOT more money on acting talent and an excellent translation. And that is not likely to happen.
Although it'd certainly be interesting to see who they'd pick as English VAs. Not that anyone fitting comes to mind... And excellent translation would be pretty important in Spice and Wolf, so I can't imagine they'd be sloppy about it.
Old 2008-12-19, 04:00   Link #289
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
I'm not really sure what the connection would be, unless you're referring to a different announcement. Kadokawa Pictures USA's availability announcement was only to say that they were looking to find a North American licensee/distributor for the show. How does that affect their Japanese streaming service at all? Kadokawa USA's reason for being is to represent their works in North America. So, there must be some other announcement that you're referring to...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 08:58   Link #290
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:

Its a shame no company goes scowwering for untapped voice talents(at least I don't think they do). Companies seem to always go for the same Voice actors that have the expierence and while that is good in some respect you start getting the feeling that every character from every series starts sounding similar. I'm pondering on some ideas of who I think would do a good Horo dub.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2008-12-20 at 20:39.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 17:50   Link #291
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I How does that affect their Japanese streaming service at all? Kadokawa USA's reason for being is to represent their works in North America. So, there must be some other announcement that you're referring to...
Their constant fear of reverse import, that's all. I've worked in the anime industry several years ago, and stuff like this isn't that uncommon. Their own streaming service started before they sent C&D for Spice and Wolf. It's a pretty reasonable assumption that for now they didn't want subs of any kind interfere with their own service.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-20, 18:50   Link #292
typhonsentra

http://www.spicy-wolf.com/DVD/dvd.html

Does this... does this really say the Blu-Ray box set is 34k yen!?! That's... that's nearly $400!
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 00:34   Link #293
Blank-Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post

Does this... does this really say the Blu-Ray box set is 34k yen!?! That's... that's nearly $400!
*spews Dr. Pepper onto monitor and keyboard* Say what?! I'm a fan and all, but I am but one man!
Old 2008-12-21, 16:18   Link #294
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post

Holy crap! That cost more than getting my motorcycle fixed!
RampagingEvangelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 06:45   Link #295
ZingFreelancer
A horrible person

By the way, there already exists a "fan dub" for spice and wolf and I would say it is very interesting and not horrible at all. Even if you still can feel the amateur touch to it, its still pretty good.
You can find it at youtube.
ZingFreelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 11:32   Link #296
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
*spews Dr. Pepper onto monitor and keyboard* Say what?! I'm a fan and all, but I am but one man!
If I had Dr. Pepper I would have done the same thing...

How are they getting away with it??

1) Fans are willing to pay for it anyway...?

Most likely it's how they marketed it on that page. I couldn't read everything, but it seems it's got all 13 episodes, spread over 4 discs, and it's obviously the Blu-ray High Definition Disks, but it specifically says it can be best used with a 16:9 aspect ratio, and a 1080p HD image quality. This means that on that mega huge TV that takes up your entire living room wall space, (flat screen, you know it), you can watch Spice and Wolf (the pictures should be about your size, that's how large you're watching Spice and Wolf at), in UBER LEET Quality...

$400???

No way can I afford that....I'm the guy who if he wants to "support" by buying stuff, would go to Tetsuya(DVD/CD Rental Chain), and for 300Yen rent the dang things at that quality. Then burn them Hopefully that would help encourage video rental chains to get that film, spurring more spending...maybe....O_o

400???
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 19:42   Link #297
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's rather interesting... I'd figure they'd be more likely to sell it piecemeal, so people can space it out amongst their paychecks.
Old 2008-12-22, 20:01   Link #298
Blank-Mage

Methinks they don't really understand their target audience...
Old 2008-12-22, 23:01   Link #299
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
Methinks they don't really understand their target audience...
Me thinks you be right.
RampagingEvangelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 08:01   Link #300
Starburst
Horo♥

Their target audience already received a lesson in getting deals...
Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote