AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-04-02, 19:54   Link #401
Pixelation
Dreamcatcher

There's no reason to give up something you enjoy simply because of your age. There's even less reason to cater to what other people think you should be doing based on your age.

Anime is diverse enough to entertain at all ages, just like books and movies. If someone asked 'How old is too old to read books?' you'd probably make a joke about not being able to see the letters. So yeah, I find the question a bit silly.
Pixelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 07:31   Link #402
KimmyChan

You're never too old to watch anime as far as I'm concerned

I know for an absolute fact that I sure as hell won't ever grow out of doing so
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 09:13   Link #403
jerkette
Sore Ga, Ai Deshou! <3

I think, you're never too old to watch anime. There's a child in every one of us. Hihihihihi

"Not everything is as it seems."
jerkette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 19:22   Link #404
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkette View Post
There's a child in every one of us.
True, but my inner child is generally bored when I watch shows like Monster or Bartender. Those shows appeal more to my adult "shell," if you can call it that. My inner child is more interested in shows like Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu.

To suggest that satisfying one's "inner child" is what motivates older people to watch anime rather ignores a lot of material that no child should see. To me, that point of view just buys into the "anime is for kids" meme.

I treasure the anime made for mature viewers and hope to see more as the audience for anime in both Japan and around the world ages over the next decade.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-04-05 at 21:00.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 20:03   Link #405
Justin Kim
*Artist

Ditto with Sola, age does not matter at all. Whatever interests you, you yourself are free to watch. Anime does indeed get harder and harder to find as you keep watching the genre that intrests you. Because eventually you'll exhaust your anime collection. It's pretty much the more you watch, the less likely you are going to find a new anime series. <Personal experience of watching anime like every single day.
Justin Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 20:16   Link #406
animeboy12

Quote:
I think, you're never too old to watch anime. There's a child in every one of us. Hihihihihi
the seconds like something Micheal Jackson would say.

But yea, If anything anime is a storytelling medium and no one can deny that story have the capability be mature or intellectual.
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 21:53   Link #407
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Except that a great deal of anime is not designed for children..... but for adults.

Next I'll be swatting "Futurama, Simpsons, Southpark is for kids" mythology.
Old 2009-04-05, 22:40   Link #408
Craymel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Except that a great deal of anime is not designed for children..... but for adults.

Next I'll be swatting "Futurama, Simpsons, Southpark is for kids" mythology.
I LOVE FUTURAMA!!!

Now to answer the question. None. If any one tells you otherwise they're lying. End of story. You can watch and enjoy/hate anything at any age. What people enjoy may vary. this topic is really old
Old 2009-04-06, 02:52   Link #409
jerkette
Sore Ga, Ai Deshou! <3

Of course. Of course. The inner child in us, I think, very much appreciates how anime is created: the animation, the story, the characters. Not that we have this immaturity that never matures. Hihhihi

"Not everything is as it seems."
jerkette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 03:20   Link #410
Ermes Marana

My inner child loved Monster and Master Keaton.

He didn't understand what was happening, but he loved seeing colors move around. He tried reaching for them, but then he kind of gurgled and fell asleep.

I had to watch the rest alone. It was very sad.

Actual answer: You can't be too old, but you can look too old.

Why do you think you never hear these kind of questions about vampires? People don't mind if a 300 year old vampire who looks 17 watches anime and dates a 17 year old.

It isn't about "being too old". It is only about "looking too old." As long as you take care of yourself, eat right, exercise, you can look young enough to watch anime well into your thirties.

Last edited by Ermes Marana; 2009-04-06 at 03:31.
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 10:14   Link #411
tflops
Is Moé-ish

Send a message via Yahoo to tflops
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I hate to say it, but the people making comments about over 25s shouldn't be into moe just come across as being really ignorant of what over 25s who are into such things are like.
That was a part of my mishap, Look, I'm already on my 20+'s and still looking forward of liking moe and stuffs, and yeah, there's nothing wrong with that, it doesn't bug me honestly, but I'm in a society that kills me. I can't even find people IRL which is about my age and talk about this stuffs, (just disregard virtual society) like "Too bad, aren't you childish enough to like this stuffs?". And I have to explain these things are normal, with this age and time, you wouldn't guess society is already changing.
tflops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 10:42   Link #412
chicachiyo4

i think everybody has the right to watch Anime no matter how old everybody gets something different out of watching anime
chicachiyo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 16:42   Link #413
Zira

Send a message via AIM to Zira
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
how old do you have to be when watching anime goes from socially acceptable to not so acceptable?

i cannot think of any anime show that is targeted to audiences over 60. is there an anime show like the golden girls that i have missed out on?

LOL the golden girls was the perfect example for that.
Zira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 16:47   Link #414
Zira

Send a message via AIM to Zira
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Regarding the comments from the last few pages about people being pathetic/creepy if they're over 25/30/whatever and into moe... I have to say that I just don't understand that viewpoint.

Personally, I think 32 year old guys who have PhDs in astrophysics, speak three languages, write linux utilities, do solo backpacking trips and yet still buy the occassional catgirl figure or erogame are awesome. And I actually know a guy who is like that. It's people like him and some of our older guys here at animesuki (Vexx in particular) who make me thinking that growing older isn't going to be such a gut wrenching experience after all.

I hate to say it, but the people making comments about over 25s shouldn't be into moe just come across as being really ignorant of what over 25s who are into such things are like.
I agree with that. I have noticed the majority of the anime watchers are in there 20's.
Zira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 17:34   Link #415
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just to keep pounding it in --- What is this mental deficiency some people have that the age of the characters in a series dictates the age range of the viewing audience?

Older people happen to *remember* being younger - watching a series like Honey&Clover or Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora invokes feelings of nostalgia. Watching Ichigo Masimaro or Azumanga Daioh is just funny at any age. Comedy, drama, and romance is not restricted by age lines. I do believe Tom Sawyer, Lord of the Flies, and Little Women are read by adults.... :P

Some of the comments in this thread from the younger people sound more rigid than any Old Crochety Righteous busybody...
Old 2009-04-07, 17:54   Link #416
klowny
OH NO

Your never too old to watch anime... although i can't imagine old people (around 60's) still watching anime
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 19:10   Link #417
LeoXiao
思想工作

I'd say that when you are old enough that you have a very time-consuming job and/or children to take care of, you should let your anime obsession (if you truly are the kind of person who watches tons of it) subside. It's okay to watch it every once in a while if you have time, but most likely not much. Most adults don't spend so much time on hobbies anyway.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 19:13   Link #418
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I'd say that when you are old enough that you have a very time-consuming job and/or children to take care of, you should let your anime obsession (if you truly are the kind of person who watches tons of it) subside. It's okay to watch it every once in a while if you have time, but most likely not much. Most adults don't spend so much time on hobbies anyway.
True. But you're offtopic That was not the OP's question
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 19:53   Link #419
Justin Kim
*Artist

Lol, I just don't understand why people these days in society have the tendency to stereotype certain viewing materials by age groups. I mean anime for one, is usually viewed upon by other people differently. I just think it's a matter of respectability for the person, a view of understanding, and whatever interests the person that watches anime, just leave them alone. In my opinion, I think anime is so much far better than the cartoons we have today in America. Not to be categorizing or anything, but usually the cartoons of America have turned into a more comical sense, hence, Family Guy, Futurama, and Robot Chicken. On the other hand, Anime can portray all these characteristics while inputting another genre at the same time. Thus, the product being Romance/Ecchi/Comedy or something more like Romance/Tragedy/Comedy. There are many combinations of these genres that exist within Anime in today's society. That's why I think Anime is artistically beautiful, not just by the drawings, but by the intrinsic story plot lines they develop.
Justin Kim is offline   Reply With Quote