AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-07-29, 20:16   Link #1
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I hate flying! Arg!

As of today, I’m going on vacation to China mainly in Hong Kong for 2 weeks. I despise flying not because I'm afraid but because it has to be the most uncomfortable transportation I have ever used. I can handle being on a plane for 5 hours but if it goes beyond that, I'll start losing my mind. My trip is supposed to take 10-13 hrs so it's going to be hell. The crampness, constant engine noise and pressure changes drives me mad. I can't sleep while flying and the constant exposure to pressure changes and the engine noise makes me want to rip my ears off plus there's really nothing to keep me busy for 10 hrs. The good thing is that we're going to be in the business section so hopefully it'll be better. I still so don't want to go...wah! Who here feels the same about flying? Anways, see guys around after 2 weeks!
Old 2004-07-29, 20:18   Link #2
Necrodeath

I've never been on an airplane before, so I couldn't know. I do hate pressure changes and constant noises, so I probably won't like flying

Anyway, good luck @ the flight and have a nice vacation
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 20:25   Link #3
Harogenki
Victim of Zeta Reticulins

Send a message via AIM to Harogenki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth
As of today, I’m going on vacation to China mainly in Hong Kong for 2 weeks. I despise flying not because I'm afraid but because it has to be the most uncomfortable transportation I have ever used. I can handle being on a plane for 5 hours but if it goes beyond that, I'll start losing my mind. My trip is supposed to take 10-13 hrs so it's going to be hell. The crampness, constant engine noise and pressure changes drives me mad. I can't sleep while flying and the constant exposure to pressure changes and the engine noise makes me want to rip my ears off plus there's really nothing to keep me busy for 10 hrs. The good thing is that we're going to be in the business section so hopefully it'll be better. I still so don't want to go...wah! Who here feels the same about flying? Anways, see guys around after 2 weeks!
Last time I flew I was like 8. Anyways you forgot to mention the screaming kids and the people who complain to the stuardesses constantly. Oh and don't forget the drunks who get angry when their liquor level is limited.
Harogenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 20:31   Link #4
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Dude, I fly any chance I can get and absolutely love it!!!

It's kinda scary if you're not used to it, but once you've done it a couple of times it's a total blast. I am one myself for extreme high performance flying. You'd probubly loose your lunch though if you went out with me during one of those type flights. ^_^;;
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 20:37   Link #5
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

I love flying! It is soooo awesome =P
I like the view and the idea of flying is cool!
I wish I could fly!

VwwWOOoooaooshsshhh!
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 21:06   Link #6
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

I'm kinda scared of plane crashing-people sceaming-being torn apart-drowning-burning or visiting another WTC for Bush's sake. It won't stop me from taking off though theres too many nice things to see out there and walking to it could get years but life is short and the world is uge ^^ so I'd say its worth it.
Old 2004-07-29, 21:16   Link #7
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

Wandering_Youth, i was on a 15 hour flight from toronto to hongkong about a month and half back.. and i feel the same about flying.

At first, you're really eager to get on the plane, but then the pressurized/recycled air smell hits you..
The takeoff is *always* delayed for one reason or another.
The guy behind you is always jiggling his leg on the foot rest ><
I too can't sleep on planes,.. and when i do manage to fall asleep, they're short 30 minute naps.
"Whats the deal with airplane food?" Jerry Seinfeld was on to something there.. what IS the deal with airplane food? The smell of airplane food never fails to turn my stomach, so I usually have a tube of pringles with me

Though, my last flight to hongkong was memorable. It was an evening flight, and we were flying above a lightning storm.. all the while, my minidisc was playing Ahead On Our Way from the final fantasy VII piano collections.. it was the perfect moment. about 2 hours before arrival, we were blessed with the most spectacular sunrise. A shy orange blush rose from below the cloud-line. The sky was a mix of lavander, navy blue, orange, pink, green, purple.. it was very pretty

To make your flight infinitely more bearable, I suggest to pack lots of fobby snacks, such as Pocky, yoduly, and those delightful koala bear cookies filled with chocolate cream (pack two of these). Also, a healthy amount of manga would help pass those long hours.

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 21:51   Link #8
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

13 and 15 hour flights aren't that bad... I mean, it's only 13/15 hours. My longest flight to date was to Cape Town, Africa, a 32 hour flight with 12 hours spent in lay-over.

18 hour flight from Calgary to Frankfurt...
12 hour lay-over in Frankfurt...
14 hour flight from Frankfurt to Cape Town.

Forget that I was in ultra-coach or that the captian seemed to like listening to himself talk over the intercomm system, I can even forget the absolute lack of movie selection (only 2 movies on the first flight and none on the second) it's the 12 hour lay-over was the worst part. It's 12 hours spent in the international terminal with absolutely nothing to do. You're not allowed to leave the terminal, the food in the terminal costs an arm and a leg and tasted like cardboard. >.>; It's one of those flights I never intend on taking again...

Traveling as a courier is fun. ^^;
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 21:53   Link #9
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolistic
The guy behind you is always jiggling his leg on the foot rest ><
I had the worst 8ish hours of my life flying from Honolulu to LAX. There was this old man in the seat behind me and he seriously jiggled his leg the WHOLE WAY. But wait, it gets better! Another old man has the seat next to me. He has terrible body oder and bad breathe. Imagine hell, only 50,000 feet in the air traveling at 600 MPH with bags of crappy peanuts.

My friend has the right (I use the term right loosely) idea: take an Ambien and drink about 3 beers right before the flight. You'll not remember a thing, or so he says. And judging from the drug warnings, Id tend to take his word on it.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 22:02   Link #10
junko
model bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolistic
"Whats the deal with airplane food?" Jerry Seinfeld was on to something there.. what IS the deal with airplane food? The smell of airplane food never fails to turn my stomach, so I usually have a tube of pringles with me
I wouldn't worry about this anymore. Most, if not all airlines have stopped serving food. Though, if the flight is exceptionally long, they may toss you a bag of stale peanuts to be humane.
junko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 22:03   Link #11
ShadowX114
is my nickname

Flying is so not fun. Just came back to Canada 2 days ago. The trip took 9-10 hours. SOOO boring and uncomfortable. At least those movies can keep us busy for a while. They put Hidalgo and Paycheck
ShadowX114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 22:04   Link #12
Harogenki

Quote:
Originally Posted by junko
I wouldn't worry about this anymore. Most, if not all airlines have stopped serving food. Though, if the flight is exceptionally long, they may toss you a bag of stale peanuts to be humane.
They've stopped serving meals? Ouch to people going on long trips. But if they do that then shouldn't they allow you to bring your own bigger-than-a-snack type of food? I bet they don't allow foods that are bigger than just a snack.
Old 2004-07-29, 22:10   Link #13
ShadowX114
is my nickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harogenki
They've stopped serving meals? Ouch to people going on long trips. But if they do that then shouldn't they allow you to bring your own bigger-than-a-snack type of food? I bet they don't allow foods that are bigger than just a snack.
They can't stop serving meals. and they didn't. They served me. Whoever said this should be joking.
ShadowX114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 22:14   Link #14
aahhsin

They always serve you. You probably just missed dinner time.

You people whine too much. Flying isn't all that bad. All you need is a game boy and a really long game.

then sleep for 8 hours. Watch like 6-9 movies. Especially if it's a trip to Hong Kong.

Watch watch watch watch. Sleep. Wake up, watch watch watch. Step outside Hong Kong.

Then you'll be glad you were in the plane. Humid humid humid. hot hot hot. Then JET LAG!!!

you'll stay up for a day, then Sleep sleep sleep untill 5 P.M.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 22:15   Link #15
Harogenki

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
They always serve you. You probably just missed dinner time.

You people whine too much. Flying isn't all that bad. All you need is a game boy and a really long game.

then sleep for 8 hours. Watch like 6-9 movies. Especially if it's a trip to Hong Kong.

Watch watch watch watch. Sleep. Wake up, watch watch watch. Step outside Hong Kong.

Then you'll be glad you were in the plane. Humid humid humid. hot hot hot. Then JET LAG!!!

you'll stay up for a day, then Sleep sleep sleep untill 5 P.M.
Your story scares me. I am never taking a trip to Hong Kong.
Old 2004-07-29, 22:16   Link #16
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I haven't been on a flight longer than 6 hours where they didn't serve a meal...

Short flights, the 4-5 hour ones, no longer serve meals though.
Old 2004-07-29, 22:17   Link #17
aahhsin

Quote:
You really should. It's fun there. Especially if you're from America. You're bigger and better looking then most of them.

And if there's a pretty girl next to you. Bam!

O wait.... I'm a girl according to a thread..... there's a pretty boy next to you then BAM!
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 22:17   Link #18
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Flights to Hong Kong aren't bad, if you're lucky you'll get a lay-over in Hawaii. ^^
Old 2004-07-29, 22:18   Link #19
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Flying doesn't really bother me, better than being on a bus sitting three to a seat that barely has room for two while a bunch of kids in the front puke their guts out and then it rolls to where your feet are causing a puking chain reaction. Last time I was on a long flight they had tv's built in the back of each seat which made it more enjoyable. Also its nice to catch up on reading. Like when people go to mexico and people say not to drink the water, the same goes toward airplane food. As diabolistic said bring snacks and manga, magazines, books. I suggest your bring chewing gum to pop your ears. Also some chloroform for annoying kids and people who wont shut up.

Quote:
those delightful koala bear cookies filled with chocolate cream (pack two of these).
Oh man I forgot about those things, I use to eat those all the time or rather I think I ate them. All I remember is chopping their heads off or smashing them.

By the way, does airport security check for liquids? Its a given that metals are checked but do they allow you to walk on with a thermos or something? Could'nt I just fill it up with some hydrochloric acid and start splashing it on people once aboard? Not that I would do that of course .*Remembers how sodium + water = boom* Hmm I just freaked myself out about flying then again I didn't do so well in chemistry so i'll pretend its an impossibility.......Flying rules! Its safer than driving!!

Shun me, for I am frumious!

Last edited by Bandersnatch; 2004-07-29 at 22:28.
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-29, 22:21   Link #20
Cz
Needs more sleep~

Fyling back home from the U.S. where I study is exhausting. It's usually one (or two) internal U.S. flight(s), plus one flight over the Pacific with one stop. Total travel time is about 30 hours. When I went home last year, the trip back to the U.S. was close to 40 hours I think because of the extra waiting time in between, plus the longer wait time during U.S. immigration. I usually can sleep for an hour or two before waking up and then going to sleep again, so the long 14-15-hour flight over the Pacific is bearable, other than leg cramps unless I walk and stand a bit.

I've only gone home twice in 4 years, which is quite enough. My roommate goes back twice or three times a year. Then again, his girlfriend is back home, so I suppose that nullifies the suffering of the plane trip.
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote