AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-05-26, 01:06   Link #1
night_sentinel

PSP vita or 3DS?

My aging psp just breathed its last. No amount of repairs could revive it. So I am currently looking for a good handheld to replace it.

So which is better? The Vita or the 3ds?
And should I buy one now? I'm hearing price cuts are just around the corner....

Thanks in advance for the help guys.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 01:17   Link #2
jedinat

Get the 3DS XL... Vita's game selection really has nothing on it.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 02:48   Link #3
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Persona and Soul Sacrifice aren't 'nothing'.

Seeing as how you got the PSP you might want to get the Vita as they would probably have similar game types.

But if you prefer Nintendo games now, then obviously go for the 3DS.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 04:14   Link #4
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Persona and Soul Sacrifice aren't 'nothing'.
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning
Kid Icarus: Uprising
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 2
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Mario Golf: World Tour
Mario Kart 7
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Pokémon X and Y
Project X Zone
Rune Factory 4
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Super Mario 3D Land

Yeah, it kinda is 'nothing' in comparison (edit: maybe you misread my phrasing). And I omitted a lot of highly rated games I just am not interested in (RE/KH, etc.)

Last edited by jedinat; 2013-05-26 at 04:32.
Old 2013-05-26, 04:46   Link #5
night_sentinel

Hmmm.... normally, I will just get the Vita but a lot of bad reviews in net is keeping from it. They say that Sony is going to pull the plug on it since there aren't a lot of games and I really want a nice game library. I don't know if the rumors are true or not but its gotten me a teensy bit wary. To those who have a Vita, have they gotten more games that I can check out beside the mentioned Persona and Soul sacrifice?

On the other camp, I know absolutely nothing about Nintendo exclusive games. Though, judging from jedinat list. I think I'm gonna like it. Still, the 3d bit is off putting. My only foray on 3d is 3d cinemas which didn't exactly leave me impressed. Is it possible to actually turn the 3d off the 3ds?

Beside that, I really want to know if the price cuts I keep hearing about actually real? Something about the 3ds' and the vita's sale price going down due to a new product unveiling at e3? Seeing that is only a few weeks away, do you guys think I should hold a bit before purchase?

Thanks again for replying. ^^
Old 2013-05-26, 04:51   Link #6
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post

Yeah, it kinda is 'nothing' in comparison (edit: maybe you misread my phrasing). And I omitted a lot of highly rated games I just am not interested in (RE/KH, etc.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ion_Vita_games

You were saying?

And it doesn't matter how many games each of them have- What matters is which type of games the buyer wants to play.

I for one aren't interested in most of the games you have listed and my 3DS is currently collecting dust. That's just my personal taste of course but that's why I suggest the TC to get the Vita because he had a PSP and so there's a good chance he would prefer the type of games that the Vita would have as they are similar to PSP games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Hmmm.... normally, I will just get the Vita but a lot of bad reviews in net is keeping from it. They say that Sony is going to pull the plug on it since there aren't a lot of games and I really want a nice game library. I don't know if the rumors are true or not but its gotten me a teensy bit wary. To those who have a Vita, have they gotten more games that I can check out beside the mentioned Persona and Soul sacrifice?
Read the link I've posted on the list of Vita games both currently out and coming out.

Quote:
On the other camp, I know absolutely nothing about Nintendo exclusive games. Though, judging from jedinat list. I think I'm gonna like it. Still, the 3d bit is off putting. My only foray on 3d is 3d cinemas which didn't exactly leave me impressed. Is it possible to actually turn the 3d off the 3ds?
Yes you can turn it off.

Quote:
Beside that, I really want to know if the price cuts I keep hearing about actually real? Something about the 3ds' and the vita's sale price going down due to a new product unveiling at e3? Seeing that is only a few weeks away, do you guys think I should hold a bit before purchase?

Thanks again for replying. ^^
Japan already have a price cut.

People are expecting Sony to announce a price cut at E3 for the rest of us so I would recommend holding off until then.
Old 2013-05-26, 05:09   Link #7
Sides

Well one thing is the PSV is region free, which could be a big advantage for some people, as you can just set up a japanese account and buy game of PSN/SEN, and bypass import markups.
If you already own PSP games purchased on PSN/SEN you can just redownload it on the psv.
But generally you should get the console/handheld which has game you want to play on it. However as for purchasing a system in advance for a games that hasn't been released yet, don't do it, wait until they are out, since you will just be wasting money and time. Sitting on a system that doesn't get used for 6months is stupid, because of the hardware warranty and the price will come down over time.
So get it for games you want to play now, you can be hit by a bus tomorrow.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 05:09   Link #8
night_sentinel

Tsk. I wished I am in Japan.

I think I'll hold buying until E3 then. If the price cuts are high enough, I could just get both.
Looking at the list. Ps vita has nice rpgs which are the games that I like to play. On the other hand, 3ds has fire emblem and shin megami tensei. This is a tough choice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Well one thing is the PSV is region free, which could be a big advantage for some people, as you can just set up a japanese account and buy game of PSN/SEN, and bypass import markups.
If you already own PSP games purchased on PSN/SEN you can just redownload it on the psv.
But generally you should get the console/handheld which has game you want to play on it. However as for purchasing a system in advance for a games that hasn't been released yet, don't do it, wait until they are out, since you will just be wasting money and time. Sitting on a system that doesn't get used for 6months is stupid, because of the hardware warranty and the price will come down over time.
So get it for games you want to play now, you can be hit by a bus tomorrow.

About that. I usually buy the games in retail (as in boxed). Will the PSP game CD work for PSP vita? Are they backward compatible?
Old 2013-05-26, 06:12   Link #9
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Vita doesn't use UMD.

But yeah. Buy the platform based on what games you want to play. Platform is just some shit to run games on after all.

PSP is still more popular by far in Japan, but the way things are, it seems the game makers are shifting towards PSV for some reason....
Old 2013-05-26, 11:30   Link #10
majestix1988

if you are not focused on handheld gaming i would guess Vita would do it(i used my PSP as my portable watching Anime console but stilll need games....but its worth it)

but still 3ds is good for gaming choice
Old 2013-05-26, 12:04   Link #11
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ion_Vita_games

You were saying?

And it doesn't matter how many games each of them have- What matters is which type of games the buyer wants to play.

I for one aren't interested in most of the games you have listed and my 3DS is currently collecting dust. That's just my personal taste of course but that's why I suggest the TC to get the Vita because he had a PSP and so there's a good chance he would prefer the type of games that the Vita would have as they are similar to PSP games.
I could have linked a much longer wiki list too, lol. That wasn't my point. I have had and loved my PSP for years, that's why the vita is so disappointing. Then again I suppose the Go was proof enough they have no idea what they're doing.
Old 2013-05-26, 18:09   Link #12
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I could have linked a much longer wiki list too, lol. That wasn't my point. I have had and loved my PSP for years, that's why the vita is so disappointing. Then again I suppose the Go was proof enough they have no idea what they're doing.
It's still a far cry from the 'nothing' selection that you have claimed.
Old 2013-05-26, 18:54   Link #13
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Vita doesn't use UMD.

But yeah. Buy the platform based on what games you want to play. Platform is just some shit to run games on after all.

PSP is still more popular by far in Japan, but the way things are, it seems the game makers are shifting towards PSV for some reason....
I heard the different news.
The news claim that Sony/Ninento sees smartphones as their new rivals. So, they add a lot of social network feature in their products. More Japanese game companies are developing games for smartphones.

I chooses system by the available games. I found out the mistake in a hard way. The only game I wanted to play is New Love Plus(3DS exclusive). So, I purchased 3DS(US edition). Later, I found out that the game is region locked. orz

I don't make same mistake previously. I purchased DS for playing Claymore. I purchased PSP for Amagami. Unlike 3DS, I had games that I I wanted to try out.

However, I have spent more time with Android phone nowadays. Other system are there for gathering the dust.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 15:50   Link #14
night_sentinel

Thanks for the info guys.

Anyway, after reading these posts and finding out I absolutely know next to nothing about the two platforms. I went to a store to have a live demonstration.

Overall, I found out that I'm a pretty vain person. Despite, liking the selection of 3DS games more. I aesthetically find the Vita more pleasing and it feels good in my hands. Probably because it feels just like the psp just with analog stick. That and I easily get wowed by the pretty graphics. Soul sacrifice pretty much sealed the deal as well. I think I'll buy the vita just for this game.

Anyway, to all those who know how much price this thing cost. Is it worth it to buy the psp vita wifi edition + 4gb memory card + soul sacrifice game for 270 bucks.

They also have a pretty neat promo with a ps3 and vita bundle and a free game of my choice.
Its only going to cost me about 400 bucks.
Note: The ps3 is the super slim model 500 gb and the vita is the wifi edition.

I'm a bit torn about which promo I should go for....
Old 2013-05-29, 16:39   Link #15
jedinat

Quote:
Despite, liking the selection of 3DS games more....
Whelp, I hope you realize the "wow" factor of a sleek design and snazzy graphics really only lasts a couple weeks... my bro's vita sat in the house literally unused for months before he sold it (I had access to it and could never be bothered to play it)... In the end the system is entirely about the games.
Old 2013-05-29, 17:24   Link #16
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys.

Anyway, after reading these posts and finding out I absolutely know next to nothing about the two platforms. I went to a store to have a live demonstration.

Overall, I found out that I'm a pretty vain person. Despite, liking the selection of 3DS games more. I aesthetically find the Vita more pleasing and it feels good in my hands. Probably because it feels just like the psp just with analog stick. That and I easily get wowed by the pretty graphics. Soul sacrifice pretty much sealed the deal as well. I think I'll buy the vita just for this game.

Anyway, to all those who know how much price this thing cost. Is it worth it to buy the psp vita wifi edition + 4gb memory card + soul sacrifice game for 270 bucks.

They also have a pretty neat promo with a ps3 and vita bundle and a free game of my choice.
Its only going to cost me about 400 bucks.
Note: The ps3 is the super slim model 500 gb and the vita is the wifi edition.

I'm a bit torn about which promo I should go for....

I was lucky in a way.

I wanted to wait for the E3 price cut, but I ended up getting the Soul Sacrifice Premium Edition Vita bundle.

For US$355, I got a limited edition SS red Vita + 16gb card + SS game + limited SS Vita poach and other accessories.

Had I buy all of that individually it would had cost another US$120 extra... Plus I got limited edition swag

Personally, I still think you should wait for E3 to see if they would announce a price drop. I assume you already have a PS3? Plus the PS4 is just around the corner...
Old 2013-05-29, 18:18   Link #17
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

I got vita because it was region-free.
Old 2013-05-29, 22:02   Link #18
The-Silver-Knight
Rear-Admiral

PSP Vita.
I chose that myself, personally.
Unless you want that new Pokemon game that's coming out soon.
Old 2013-05-31, 00:51   Link #19
night_sentinel

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I just can't wait for E3 so I got Vita + ps3 bundle. I got sold when the store manager said that he'll give me 2 more free game. Yey!

From the selection of games, I chose persona 4 golden and FF 13 and FF 13-2 with all the DLC. After some checking 400 dollars is a steal for this bundle. ^^

I think I saved more than a 100 dollars. Now, if E3 just brings down 3ds price lower... I'll be set for another half a decade of gaming,
Old 2013-05-31, 03:52   Link #20
Silverwyrm

If your ever getting a ps4 after it launches, it will have plenty of nifty interaction with the vita including remote play. Just to toss that out there.

I personally have both as games I want come out for both, but nintendo's been a bit awry lately so I am wary of them right now, though I am perfectly happy with the 3ds for its games...(not that silly 3d nonsense)
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote