AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-05-28, 17:38   Link #1
Mentar
Banned

Phantom of Inferno DVD

It's too sad that most of the really great japanese games like F/sn, Tsukihime, Air and the likes will probably never be translated and released in English.

But then, some of them do. Phantom of Inferno is a great classic, and it did get translated to English in a very good version.

I've written a full review for it here.

I hope that this will get 1-2 people to try it and enjoy it as much as I did. Noir meets Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien.

Enjoy!
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 20:51   Link #2
firstian

I just discovered this game after watching that crappy OVA. I also read your review, and you did a great job of describing it without giving away the many spoilers. I haven't played any other game of this type before, so I don't have a baseline to compare to. I think the most interesting part of the game is the large number of internal dialogues of the characters. The script for the main characters are pretty good in bringing out their inner struggle. On the other hand, I find the villains to be pretty one dimensional and typical. The only gripe I have is that it doesn't let you fast forward the scenes, and the password system sometimes gets stuck after you enter the password. I ended up ripping the DVD to the hard drive and use VLC to play the whole thing. All in all, highly recommended.
firstian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 22:07   Link #3
p997tt
= Porsche 997 Twin Turbo

I played the game with my PS2 (SCPH-70006) and I don't have problems with fast forward.

I also tried to play it with WinDVD7 on the computer and fast forward on there worked fine too.

I finished getting all the endings not long ago, the story was great. I am planning to play it again after I'm done with FSN:RN since there was quite a bit I missed in chapter 1 and 2 (chose Claudia's path and missed heaps of stuff on Ein and Cal).
p997tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 22:21   Link #4
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
It's a game where you repeatedly need to play to get all the endings. It's a good game, overall. As indicated by firstrian, the OVA was done a little poorly. It got the story down, but the important scenes barely or did not match the game's at all. Not to mention the character drawings could have been done better.

Anyways, back to the game. I liked Ein's ending the best. It seemed to end the story just right. The other endings, like Cal and Claudia and another character's that I won't say because they don't get introduced until chapter 3, either have endings that felt like a downer and didn't get anything resolved or it seemed to be too good to be true, though I guess the latter fits the romance endings better.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 04:00   Link #5
Question
Crossdresser

I just got the DVD version and im not sure how to work it.

When im playing, how do i "Save" or "load" a game? What if i want to review the previous text? All the usual visual novel functions dont seem to be there in this DVD o.O.

There also appears to be serious timing issues with the english subs and the voice/images. Right now my english subs are display "..." but the voice is already tallking about something else.

Last edited by Question; 2007-06-04 at 04:12.
Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 11:34   Link #6
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

It is a good game but they took out all the H scene
Old 2007-06-04, 12:21   Link #7
Question
Crossdresser

Apparently the game only works properly on VLC.

Im still trying to figure out how to get the passwords to work. I finish entering the password but all i get is a blank screen.
Old 2007-06-04, 13:48   Link #8
Kusaja

I've seen most of the endings already (8 of 10) and it's indeed an excellent game. Highly recommended.

I'll probably go back and look for the two I missed later on, but overall it was a satisfying experience. Even though many are tragic or bittersweet at best, most of them were quite fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
It is a good game but they took out all the H scene
They did, though it wasn't Hirameki, but rather Digiturbo who did that (even in Japan, the eroscenes only appear in the non-voiced PC versions, not in the voiced adaptation for DVD players).

I think the storyline doesn't really require the eroscenes, but you can easily "add them in" with your own mind, if you want to do so.

Besides, the HCG packs aren't that hard to look up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
I just got the DVD version and im not sure how to work it.

When im playing, how do i "Save" or "load" a game? What if i want to review the previous text? All the usual visual novel functions dont seem to be there in this DVD o.O.
Unfortunately, yes. That is indeed the case and there's little you can do about it. When they adapted the game to the DVD player format they took all those options out, in exchange for a password system.

The closest thing to having "save" or "load" options is to use the "bookmarks" on your DVD playing software (Power DVD, in my case).

Quote:
There also appears to be serious timing issues with the english subs and the voice/images. Right now my english subs are display "..." but the voice is already tallking about something else.
I noticed a couple of such instances when I was playing the game, yeah, but overall the dialogue was timed just fine.

The timing can also vary according to your DVD player/playing software as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
Apparently the game only works properly on VLC.

Im still trying to figure out how to get the passwords to work. I finish entering the password but all i get is a blank screen.
Never tried VLC, so I can't help you with that...managed to complete the game and use the passwords just fine with Power DVD. Might want to try that or an external DVD player connected to your TV, I suppose.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 14:10   Link #9
Question
Crossdresser

Power DVD eh? I will try that.

So far, windows media player, windows media player classic and real player are giving me massive video and subtitle problems.

VLC works, but cant use the password function.
Old 2007-06-04, 15:08   Link #10
rg4619

Quote:
They did, though it wasn't Hirameki, but rather Digiturbo who did that (even in Japan, the eroscenes only appear in the non-voiced PC versions, not in the voiced adaptation for DVD players).
Yep. Digiturbo and Nitroplus (18+ brand/legal entity) are essentially the same company, btw, so the changes were likely worked out by the original developers.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 15:35   Link #11
Question
Crossdresser

Thank god, Power DVD works. I almost gave up. This game is a bitch to get to work properly.
Old 2009-05-07, 16:43   Link #12
Mentar
Banned

Bumped up just because. The new anime version turns out to be excellent.
Old 2009-05-07, 18:37   Link #13
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Hell yeah! Does anyone know a great media player where you can actually skip already read scenes? I feel like playing the not yet seen endings, but I'd like to skip those scenes I've seen few times before. (I truly despised to play that on my TV and DVD player)
izmosmolnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 18:42   Link #14
coren

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
Hell yeah! Does anyone know a great media player where you can actually skip already read scenes? I feel like playing the not yet seen endings, but I'd like to skip those scenes I've seen few times before. (I truly despised to play that on my TV and DVD player)
The only thing I ever got it to work on was WinDVD version 4 (but not later versions), which is probably impossible to find now.
coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 19:43   Link #15
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Too bad it was released in DVDPG format

It's a pain in the ass to play it like that... (is the license cheaper than the normal PC version?)
Old 2009-05-07, 23:01   Link #16
Shadow Kira01

The game is somewhat of a hassle to play..

It isn't possible to save game midway in a chapter meaning that you are either going have to replay the game a few times to get the end of chapter password or sit through each chapter for a few hours. However, the graphics and sound are superb. The story is similar to that of the anime.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 23:35   Link #17
rg4619

Quote:
(is the license cheaper than the normal PC version?)
Hirameki had a special arrangement with NitroPlus (the founders of the companies worked together before. Also, both were newcomers to their respective markets), so I don't think licensing cost was ever a factor.

At any rate, DVD conversions were expensive, so Hirameki eventually gave up on them.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-08, 01:56   Link #18
Mentar
Banned

Well, it is possible to "save". The key is to rip the DVD to the local disc first. Then you use the ancient tool "ifoedit" to remove the all protections from the game. Once you have done that, you can save/restore by simply jumping to the Track/Chapter you were last in (or simply leave your DVD player program - most will store the position and restart exactly there when you open it again). Finally, some DVD player programs will allow you to save "Bookmarks" - they can also be used.

So yes, while the game is a bit unwieldy in the original DVD version, it becomes much more easily playable after the adjustments I listed.
Old 2009-05-08, 14:58   Link #19
Enclavet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Well, it is possible to "save". The key is to rip the DVD to the local disc first. Then you use the ancient tool "ifoedit" to remove the all protections from the game. Once you have done that, you can save/restore by simply jumping to the Track/Chapter you were last in (or simply leave your DVD player program - most will store the position and restart exactly there when you open it again). Finally, some DVD player programs will allow you to save "Bookmarks" - they can also be used.

So yes, while the game is a bit unwieldy in the original DVD version, it becomes much more easily playable after the adjustments I listed.
Any more details on that? Not sure how to remove the protections in the game using IFOedit.

Thanks.
Enclavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-09, 04:54   Link #20
Mentar
Banned

Instead of giving a lengthy explanation, just download this file and unpack it in your ripped directory. It will overwrite two .ifo files, and in result, the DVD playback will be unprotected by then. You can immediately jump to other tracks and chapters (and so, use DVD player bookmarks to "save" freely anytime)