AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-15, 17:59   Link #1481
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Oh come on. You make it sound as if a) Mikono was doing it because she wanted to/enjoyed it, b) the whole thing hadn't happened within the course of a few seconds and c) Kagura hadn't appeared out of the blue. Mikono (and Amata too, for that matter) was pretty much shocked at seeing some random guy jumping over ther rail, grabbing her and SNIFFING HER I mean seriously, wtf. And then licking. Show me one person who would've been in the right state of her mind in this situation.

Oh no, sexism has nothing to do with it except what I see here is people blaming a girl for being jealous at all and not being docile and super understanding at seeing her (quasi-)boyfriend flirting around (or so she thinks). Not to mention that Amata is not "led astray by other women", it's his power reacting to strong emotions in him, be that excitement, fear, embarrassment, etc. Now if he had only told Mikono that at the beginning Mikono wouldn't have jumped to conclusions about Zessica making him float (which eventually led to her jumping to even worse conclusions at seeing them together at night). But then of course we wouldn't have had a plot.
TBF even if the reasons were sexual it doesn't mean much. You can't exactly blame a guy for being attracted to another girl it's just unreasonable, as long as there's no hints that he was actually planning to do anything with the girl or is not in love with her and carees for you the most. I'm not really blaming her, but really she should trust the guy or at least here his side of the story before going on a pissy fit, I think most people that actually propely know the dude would know that Amata wasn't the playing sort.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 18:04   Link #1482
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
^Geez, can't I just merely be bored by the way her character and reactions are being written?

It's not like her character is terribly unique at this point. (Note, I didn't say I hated her, just liking her less compared to the first few episodes)
Unacceptable, you're either for the cause or against it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
TBF even if the reasons were sexual it doesn't mean much. You can't exactly blame a guy for being attracted to another girl it's just unreasonable, as long as there's no hints that he was actually planning to do anything with the girl or is not in love with her and carees for you the most. I'm not really blaming her, but really she should trust the guy or at least here his side of the story before going on a pissy fit, I think most people that actually propely know the dude would know that Amata wasn't the playing sort.
I have the feeling neither boys or girls actually understand what the opposite gender is thinking outside of the usual assumptions- They're teenagers after all and for a long time been separated from each other. Well in Amata and Mikono's case, they've been removed from society for sometime.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 18:16   Link #1483
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Unacceptable, you're either for the cause or against it

I have the feeling neither boys or girls actually understand what the opposite gender is thinking outside of the usual assumptions- They're teenagers after all and for a long time been separated from each other. Well in Amata and Mikono's case, they've been removed from society for sometime.
We're they? Didn't Amata and Mikono live normal lives in comparison to the others since they were on the outside. Amata was bullied, so he didn't have many friends and Mikono didn't really have much happen to her aside from an inferiority complex based on her lack of an element ability. Either way they were less segregated than from society than the other people in there.
Old 2012-02-15, 18:28   Link #1484
Akarin

Akarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 18:37   Link #1485
kuromitsu

Quote:
Huuuu if I had a penny for every time I've heard that. And strangely guys who argue like that get strangely upset at the idea of their girlfriends doing the same.

Thing is. Mikono didn't know what exactly made Amata float and it never occurred to Amata to tell her. Hence the misunderstanding. And Mikono being as insecure as she is, it's not a surprise that she immediately jumped to the conclusion that she wasn't special enough. It's awkward but they're two shy, awkward teenagers awkwardly in love, I think awkwardness is inevitable... (I think it's criminally cute.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 18:41   Link #1486
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost My Music View Post
Spoiler for Size:

Wow, love the simplicity of the middle cover...I might just have to get this!
Old 2012-02-15, 19:05   Link #1487
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Huuuu if I had a penny for every time I've heard that. And strangely guys who argue like that get strangely upset at the idea of their girlfriends doing the same.

Thing is. Mikono didn't know what exactly made Amata float and it never occurred to Amata to tell her. Hence the misunderstanding. And Mikono being as insecure as she is, it's not a surprise that she immediately jumped to the conclusion that she wasn't special enough. It's awkward but they're two shy, awkward teenagers awkwardly in love, I think awkwardness is inevitable... (I think it's criminally cute.)
What is this shit, don't go applying your limited experience of men to such a logical concept. I'm pretty sure the majority of people know this to be the case it's basic common sense (your actually being sexist).

Again the issue is that she should actually you know talked to the guy rather than get angry and not listen to what he has to say every single time. It's not the fact that she didn't know he would fly for anyone that's irrelevant really, it wouldn't have changed anything even if he was attracted to her. This shit will happen time and time again if she doesn't talk to him and here him out.

I'm sure even you would find it annoying if she misunderstands and blanks him off again after this incident.
Old 2012-02-15, 19:33   Link #1488
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Eh? I'm not getting that vibe yet though, sure she trusts him with her 'secret' (her terrified moments) but that still falls well within the friendship category.
An anime girl shyly checking up on a guy while he cleans the class, and right after asking him to go for a walk with her, has definite "I have a crush on this guy" vibes to it. Come on, Chaos2Frozen, an anime veteran like yourself should know better than this.

Quote:
Actually it's an even score between Zessica and Cayenne as the second pilot, no scratch that- with this episode Cayenne is now one more than her.
My thinking is that, going forward, whenever you have a guy as the "special pilot of the day", Zessica will usually be there simply to ensure that it's not an all-guy union.

It could be Amata-Cayenne-Girl of the Day in some cases though, yeah.

On the current Mikono debate:

1. Hey, at least she actually apologized to Amata for the misunderstanding she made. That alone puts her ahead of 95% or more of all tsunderes out there.

2. I don't know why Amata doesn't go back to weighing himself down with something while walking around school. It seems like the slightest degree of sexual arousal sends him flying like he was in Zero Gravity, and that's clearly pissing off Mikono (and maybe even Zessica soon).

Mikono seeing Amata go flying for a girl is comparable to a girl noticing her quasi-boyfriend getting a massive boner every time a girl so much as hugs his arm. It is a bit off-putting guys. I can't really blame Mikono here, especially since Amata brings it on himself by not weighing himself down any longer.
Old 2012-02-15, 19:58   Link #1489
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
We're they? Didn't Amata and Mikono live normal lives in comparison to the others since they were on the outside. Amata was bullied, so he didn't have many friends and Mikono didn't really have much happen to her aside from an inferiority complex based on her lack of an element ability. Either way they were less segregated than from society than the other people in there.
To be exact, what I meant is that neither of them have much interaction with people, aka zero friends. It might not seem like much but it does add up over time.

After all, it took me years to mature into this paragon of mature understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
An anime girl shyly checking up on a guy while he cleans the class, and right after asking him to go for a walk with her, has definite "I have a crush on this guy" vibes to it. Come on, Chaos2Frozen, an anime veteran like yourself should know better than this.
Ah hah, but that's only because of the ghost story that had got into her head And because Amata just happens to be on cleaning duty, but also because he's the only guy that she had interacted with since the wall came down.

An Anime vet like myself knows better than to over-read

Quote:
My thinking is that, going forward, whenever you have a guy as the "special pilot of the day", Zessica will usually be there simply to ensure that it's not an all-guy union.

It could be Amata-Cayenne-Girl of the Day in some cases though, yeah.

ep1-2: Amata/Mikono-Cayenne-Zessica
ep4: Amata-Cayenne-Mikono
ep6: Shrade-Amata-Zessica
ep7: Amata-Cayenne-Yunoha

There's only been a few battles but you're probably right, if the third pilot is a girl, Cayenne would be the second pilot, if the third is a guy, Zessica would be the second. I don't think there's anything else to read into it, those two are just the best pilots of their gender that they could afford to send out.

Quote:
Mikono seeing Amata go flying for a girl is comparable to a girl noticing her quasi-boyfriend getting a massive boner every time a girl so much as hugs his arm. It is a bit off-putting guys. I can't really blame Mikono here, especially since Amata brings it on himself by not weighing himself down any longer.
Weighting doesn't seem to do much- he could probably lift a car if he has to.

I won't put too much thought into this though as it's clearly being played just for comic relief. You either like it or you don't but the point is it's not meant to be taken seriously.
Old 2012-02-15, 19:59   Link #1490
Arya

I don't get the problem having mikono all jealous of Amata flying for every girl. They are not a couple (yet ) so their relationship is not set in stone, they are building up and having him flying for every female who smiles to him could be first annoying, second lowering the assumed feelings Amata has toward her. It is not a problem of talking each other. He looks like a sort of unintentional "perv", even if the massive boner analogy is more effective , who gets exited for every girl he sees.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 20:07   Link #1491
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
I don't get the problem having mikono all jealous of Amata flying for every girl. They are not a couple (yet ) so their relationship is not set in stone, they are building up and having him flying for every female who smiles to him could be first annoying, second lowering the assumed feelings Amata has toward her. It is not a problem of talking each other. He looks like a sort of unintentional "perv", even if the massive boner analogy is more effective , who gets exited for every girl he sees.

Hmmm, it's weird to not call them a couple. I mean, no matter how you look at it anyone would call them a couple

You know how people call a harem, 'harem' even though technically the guy is dense enough that he doesn't see the girls has romance interest? But we still call them a harem anyway.

Well it's the same thing, for all intends and purposes, they're a couple. So lets not get technical with the details.

------------------------------------------------

Oh btw, the new term is 'Flying Boner'
Old 2012-02-15, 20:30   Link #1492
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Ah hah, but that's only because of the ghost story that had got into her head
No, that's not the only reason why. Seriously, you're downplaying this way too much, and I don't get why. It's very clear by how Zessica acted around Amata in this episode that she has a crush on him.

Also, do you forget who's writing this anime?
Old 2012-02-15, 20:38   Link #1493
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
No, that's not the only reason why. Seriously, you're downplaying this way too much, and I don't get why. It's very clear by how Zessica acted around Amata in this episode that she has a crush on him.
You know you have a stronger case if you use that scene in the battle where she's concern about Amata and losing confidence in herself while worrying

But I don't know... I'm just not convinced yet... I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just not sure if this episode is the proof.

Quote:
Also, do you forget who's writing this anime?
Why does everybody keep bringing this up to me ?
Old 2012-02-15, 20:42   Link #1494
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
You know you have a stronger case if you use that scene in the battle where she's concern about Amata and losing confidence in herself while worrying
Ok, I'll give you that point.

Also, I love the "Flying Boner" term, so kudos to you for that. I hope that term sticks, lol.

Quote:
Why does everybody keep bringing this up to me ?
Two words: True Tears

I highly recommend it for romance drama alone, but it'll also tell you everything you need to know about Mari Okada (writer of Aquarion EVOL) and how she takes viewers on total roller coaster rides when it comes to romance conflicts.
Old 2012-02-15, 20:46   Link #1495
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Ok, I'll give you that point.

Also, I love the "Flying Boner" term, so kudos to you for that. I hope that term sticks, lol.
Actually I got it from reading RandomC

Quote:

I highly recommend it for romance drama alone, but it'll also tell you everything you need to know about Mari Okada (writer of Aquarion EVOL) and how she takes viewers on total roller coaster rides when it comes to romance conflicts.
Yeah I know about True Tears... I also know about Hanasaku... And I'm certainly not looking forward to those parts when that hits the fans...

Then again, I also know about Angel beats *Points towards Shrade and Cayanne*
Old 2012-02-15, 21:16   Link #1496
Ypocaramel

Quote:
It's awkward but they're two shy, awkward teenagers awkwardly in love, I think awkwardness is inevitable... (I think it's criminally cute.)
Definately +1 here, and speaking as a guy. If there were real girls that cute when jealous it'd be tempted to be a bad guy to make her angry on purpose Just kidding!

I do think it was cuter in episode 5, in episode 7 it was just kinda she just sounded really pissed and involved the whole class, that's on the edge of too much drama. But I find it cute in entertainment and fun to watch, I'm not evaluating Mikono as if she was a real gf or anything.
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 22:30   Link #1497
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:

Oh god.

WORST. TROLL. EVER.

I'd prefer it if that anime were obliterated from existence, or warped somehow by a time ripple or flip in the cosmic balance so that it would end properly.

If Okada pulls that crap in this series too, I will be seriously offended. Don't let her do it, Kawamori.
Old 2012-02-15, 22:35   Link #1498
miketyson

Yeah, I'm with kuromitsu and Ypocaramel on this. I find the Amata and Mikono relationship cute and touching for the moment, precisely because of how awkward and stop-and-go it's been. It's a nice middle ground between smooth-sailing on the one hand and the standard-tsundere romance on the other. It's also not the kind of thing that feels fated to work out, which I like: if it works out it'll be because they both do some growing up, and if it doesn't work out it'll be for believable reasons (they both have clear flaws, and if they don't overcome them I don't see things working out).

So it's at just the right mix of realism and idealism to make for good entertainment, at least to my eyes.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-15, 23:56   Link #1499
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Is there anyone else who is liking Mikono less and less?

I really liked her character in those first 3 episodes, but her jealousy and possessive play in the last few episodes is really wearing on me
I can't really bring myself to hate Mikono. Or at least, she hits a lot of my moe buttons that I don't think she can do anything that will make me hate her. At least, her 'rotten' personality (hypocrisy at its finest; damning Amata about Zessica when she herself can't stop thinking about Kagura) is a nice change of pace from the 'goody-two-shoes' main heroines we usually see

(Which btw is ironic, since Zessica is more 'goody-two-shoes' than her despite being more provocative. XD)

Which really is the main reason why I lean slightly towards Kagura/Mikono, as her 'rotten' personality works IMO more with Kagura, since they share the same possessive traits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
WORST. TROLL. EVER.
f Okada pulls that crap in this series too, I will be seriously offended. Don't let her do it, Kawamori.
Personally, I LOVE Okada's 'trolling', as I said earlier in this thread. At least, way better than Kawamori's version of 'trolling'.

In other words, I'd rather have Okada put us on an emotional roller coaster, leading our noses with red herrings, make us think she's going one way but really goes another, as long as she leads us to a conclusive ending. I'd take that over Kawamori, who before MF movies basically had the romance part of his 2 major original series left hanging in the air. >_>

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 02:25   Link #1500
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Oh god.

WORST. TROLL. EVER.

I'd prefer it if that anime were obliterated from existence, or warped somehow by a time ripple or flip in the cosmic balance so that it would end properly.

If Okada pulls that crap in this series too, I will be seriously offended. Don't let her do it, Kawamori.
It did end properly -_- And you're basically asking a troll to stop another troll. This will not end well for you

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, science fiction