AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-09-12, 23:49   Link #26981
Tabasco

Glad to hear it! I like the random lost in space bits, but I'll admit what I'm on board for is the grand finale. There is simply no way this can end except in fire.
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 00:20   Link #26982
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
So I have more Daemon Kaiser almost ready to go, but I was wondering what people prefer: one chapter of 5,550 words, or two chapters of 2,775 words.
Old 2010-09-13, 00:43   Link #26983
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
So I have more Daemon Kaiser almost ready to go, but I was wondering what people prefer: one chapter of 5,550 words, or two chapters of 2,775 words.
You know me.

I always prefer longer chapters.

Course, I don't like the chapter unless it's at least 6000 words when I write.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 02:03   Link #26984
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
I dug this out of my archives and finished it. Its stupid, but its at least better than my earlier stupid fics as far as crack goes :3 I'm pretty sure the first half was inspired by goings on on this forum and the latter half is me filling in the blanks having forgotten what I was trying to convey, but ah well, I'm sure someone will get a laugh out of it. Laughs are good.

Spoiler for The Late Late Show with Acous:

Alright, I dug up another draft and finished it. Not crack so much, but I had fun with it.

Spoiler for Don't drink and Fly:

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.

Last edited by itanshi1; 2010-09-13 at 03:49.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 05:09   Link #26985
vic-vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasanagi View Post
Spoiler for MD Again!:

Sorry for taking so long to update. Real life really cuts down on writing time.
Yuuno get an idea how to go back to home. But he didn`t know what a recaption he get when he return to Mid-Childa... especially after prison incident. Seikou so cute and i can`t not to feel sorry for her, because in her most intimate monent her partner think about other person.

Can`t wait for continuation.
vic-vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 06:28   Link #26986
Megaolix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasanagi View Post
Spoiler for MD Again!:

Sorry for taking so long to update. Real life really cuts down on writing time.
Wow, I can see how fast his good mood will go down the drain after he know about the prison attack.
Old 2010-09-13, 06:29   Link #26987
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
I dug this out of my archives and finished it. Its stupid, but its at least better than my earlier stupid fics as far as crack goes :3 I'm pretty sure the first half was inspired by goings on on this forum and the latter half is me filling in the blanks having forgotten what I was trying to convey, but ah well, I'm sure someone will get a laugh out of it. Laughs are good.

Well that was interesting I like the line "If they knew how boring our loves lives actually were, our names would never be household at all!" So true XD

... Why was I hearing Verossa's laugh as Tommy Wiseau's...
Old 2010-09-13, 09:24   Link #26988
orbit

Quote:
I prefer 2 chapters
orbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 09:42   Link #26989
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:
Unfortunately, it's hard to say without actually reading it...

So I'll be useless, and say "Whichever makes it flow better"!
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 09:55   Link #26990
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Alright, I dug up another draft and finished it. Not crack so much, but I had fun with it.

To be honest, I liked the 2nd one better.

Had me chuckling and laughing throughout the whole thing.

Yeah, it's probably a good thing that Erio and Caro didn't work together...

Though, now I gotta wonder what a drunk Caro or a drunk Erio are like.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 10:00   Link #26991
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Well, when I do chapters, I aim for a general length(10-12 pages via Open Office format). Too short, and they don't feel satisfied; too long, and people can lose interest. So you kinda have to experiment and ask people if what you wrote is too long or too short. I don't really keep track of the number of words, but I think I go somewhere between 4,000 and 7,000.

What's more important to me is that I get enough scenes out, and advance all the plot I need to in the chapter. Make sure the main plot and scenes are in there, and then flesh it out with some "meanwhile, over here, this is what these people are up to" type scenes just to break up the main plot.

I also plan the last scene to kind of give a cliffhanger feel. Or reveal some surprising info that makes the audience go, "...I want to read the next chapter now!" Leave the audience wanting more.

So, that's all I can offer. Just take a look at where you would split it, and decide if it makes a good chapter ending.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 10:00   Link #26992
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
I'm gonna second Moczo's vote of "whatever way flows best for you", please. Though if I had to choose between the two absolutely, I'd say one chapter.
Old 2010-09-13, 11:32   Link #26993
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Well the way I work is that I know beforehand what events to cover in the chapter, and I know what point I want to end at. It's just that sometimes when I actually write it, it becomes much longer than I thought it would be and could be broken in two.

Well I guess I'll just post the whole thing and see what you guys think.

Rise of the Daemon Kaiser chapter 7

Spoiler for RotDK7:

Spoiler for notes:
Old 2010-09-13, 12:47   Link #26994
vic-vic

Quote:
Well the way I work is that I know beforehand what events to cover in the chapter, and I know what point I want to end at. It's just that sometimes when I actually write it, it becomes much longer than I thought it would be and could be broken in two.

Spoiler for RotDK7:

Spoiler for notes:
Spoiler for My thought about RotDK:
vic-vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 14:52   Link #26995
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:

I don't quite get the circumstances around Fate and Yuuno's disagreement, as it didn't quite explain exactly what happened in a way that lets me image the sequence of events and their reactions. But that might be part of the crack humour (the idea that it's all over a small, insignificant issue) .

I loved Nanoha's line after the commercial break!

Quote:

Quote:
"I'll handle it, just be better next time." She shot her a look as if to say 'or invite me'. Nanoha nodded.
LOL, yeah, Hayate! Love how she seems so responsible, then sneaks a hint that she really isn't that responsible at all .

Quote:
"Hey! Why did you do that!?"

"Protection."

"From what?"

"My master."

"FAAATE! SINCE WHEN DID RAISING HEART HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR?"
*Cannot stop laughing*.................
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 16:51   Link #26996
SNobleJr
\m/,

Quote:

Still quite cracky, I'd say. :P The morning scene with Teana and Subaru is pretty funny - especially because it feels like Teana is actually used to such hassle. XD

And seconding deathcurse, snarky Raging Heart is great. I like it when the Devices get some personality.
Old 2010-09-13, 17:22   Link #26997
SilentOutlaw
Shhh.....

Quote:

Spoiler for RotDK7:

Spoiler for notes:
Nice, nice. I'm a bit disappointed we still didn't find out what's happening with Vivio, but I guess I can wait a little while.
SilentOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 17:27   Link #26998
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:

Spoiler for RotDK7:

Spoiler for notes:
Spoiler for My Thoughts:
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 17:29   Link #26999
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Thanks ^^ Yeah the first fic is a craig fergussen reference. I dunno, its what it is x_x;

Actually, i wanted that to be making light of the shipping conflict at the time. i wonder if posting it now is bad timing :3

--

The latter was pretty much what I wanted it to be when I started it. ^^;

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-13, 19:14   Link #27000
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
In a twisted kind of way, I think Lutecia would actually approve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
... I'm not sure what's worse, that I actually came up with the idea or that you think Cia would approve of it. Can't say anything good about our mindsets, at the very least...
Well, we know what Lutecia's mindset is from the stories. This is not necessarily something you want to be agreeing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
I'm pretty sure I needed to write this. It's very rough.

Spoiler:

Spoiler for Author's Note:
I can't speak to its effect on your emotions, but I help that it served as some kind of catharsis for you.

As for the fic itself as a story, though, I liked it quite a lot. Having Yuuno give the take on the idea of having a single father-figure was quite touching (given the Scrya clan's generalized approach to parenting). I enjoyed Vivio's self-searching as she attempts to explore her own feelings, her own sense of loss by looking at and comparing to the rest of the family and their reactions (I also liked the bit in the first paragraph about her not being looked at for the same reasons, which helps to immediately give that sense of place and person that's good--it makes the narration "feel" like Vivio because it anchors it in something we know about her right from the start).

I also like how it ends on a hopeful note of sorts, as Vivio realizes that even though Shiro is gone, that the impact that he made on people's lives and the meaning he held for them never goes away. It's not a happy ending, but it's an ending that shows her moving into the acceptance stage of grief, rather than being immersed in sadness, which is more typical for death-centric fics (and those that aren't tend to be of the "at the grave some time later," after the mental adjustment has already taken place--this, in contrast, shows the process), and it's something that I find elevates this story above the norm.

Yes, there are a couple of rough points, such as "a cousin that I could never remember the name of" and the interpolation about Nanoha being useless at dating advice, which kind of throw the flow off. But all in all, an excellent and moving story.

Edit: Pageclaim for a shipping choice which actually goes to further the themes and message of the story!
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha