AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-05-15, 15:59   Link #941
tarajis
El Psy Congroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I also enjoyed Achiga-Hen ch. 10 ... hmm. I am also curious to see how they will animate this ep.

Teru continues to show that she is not ranked #1 in the HS division of mahjong players for no reason.

Spoiler for Musings on Teru:

I think what would be amusing to see when FINALS comes is hearing Teru saying something around like....

Teru: Hmm... I'm glad I'm in Vanguard position and Saki is in Captain's... I don't want to be facing a monster like that...
Everyone: WHAT THE HELL!!!!!
tarajis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 16:21   Link #942
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
2. Developed in response to Teru's ability, as evidenced in her being able to "fly underneath Koromo's control/radar" at the end of the Prefectural championship game.
The reason she flew under Koromo's radar is because of all her kan's and the new dora's that ensued from that. Adding new dora's increase the value of her hand, so for someone like Koromo who measured their opponents from feeling their hand's value this completely dominates her. I dunno if the same would fly for Teru though.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 00:10   Link #943
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
I still think that the key to defeating Teru is not just being able to endure (though of course that is extraordinarily helpful! ), rather the key is to somehow make her unable to see you with her mirror ability, or if she is able to see you initially, to be able to function in ways the mirror cannot see. And I am of the opinion that Saki's playing style could have either:

1. Been the catalyst for Teru to develop this ability to begin with; or

2. Developed in response to Teru's ability, as evidenced in her being able to "fly underneath Koromo's control/radar" at the end of the Prefectural championship game.
You know the idea that Saki's and Teru's playstyle are developed in response to one another is totally possible.

Possible evidence:
Evidence 1
> Teru doesn't bother with the first hand because she surveys her opponents with her ability.
> Saki almost always attacks in the first hand or at least has a higher chance of doing something in the first hand.

Evidence 2
> Teru's playstyle needs a nice brake especially if she has a higher possibility of being the last dealer.
> Saki always win when it is the last hand - Always even when she was playing +/- zero. Although you can say that Saki needs to win at the last hand if she is playing +/- zero to control the points.

Evidence 3
> Saki playstyle has a higher chance to pon something or change the drawing order easily with her rinshan kaihou.
> Teru's playstyle isn't affected by changing the drawing order.

Evidence 4
> Teru is overpowered.
> Saki has a habit of overestimating people. Look at when Yumi did a robbing a kong with her. She assumed that Yumi can rob her kong automatically but then thinks Yumi can't because her kong is concealed. This is followed by the thought process that Yumi can actually rob her kong using thirteen orphans.

I would like to note that most sane people wouldn't think this, its not like anyone can set their hand to make a chankan or actually have a thirteen orphan hand so early in the hand. Unless Saki habitually played a player like that which she uses as a meter stick to measure strong people.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 01:58   Link #944
Valky
Radioactive

You know, for Saki's supposed debut in the nationals I was hoping for her to dominating her opponent.

Btw, for Achiga's 10th chapter .. Teru is too damn strong! I wonder if she will be the vanguard when facing Kiyosumi. If so then Yuuki is screwed.
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 02:22   Link #945
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valky View Post
Btw, for Achiga's 10th chapter .. Teru is too damn strong! I wonder if she will be the vanguard when facing Kiyosumi. If so then Yuuki is screwed.
Rewatch the last episode of the first season. There's a very brief bit at the end with Yuuki getting hit by Teru's mirror attack. So yeah, Yuuki will face Teru (and likely Kuro) at the end.
Old 2012-05-16, 02:33   Link #946
Valky
Radioactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Rewatch the last episode of the first season. There's a very brief bit at the end with Yuuki getting hit by Teru's mirror attack. So yeah, Yuuki will face Teru (and likely Kuro) at the end.
Ah, I forgot about the epilogue. Last time I watched it was a long time ago. Don't remember about Kuro being there though, in fact I didn't think I saw any Achiga's player.
Old 2012-05-16, 03:02   Link #947
raruku

Question: Can Teru switch her position to Captain at the final match so that she can face Saki ?
raruku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 05:14   Link #948
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valky View Post
Ah, I forgot about the epilogue. Last time I watched it was a long time ago. Don't remember about Kuro being there though, in fact I didn't think I saw any Achiga's player.
That's because it's likely that Achiga was even conceptualized then. The Training Camp, if I recall, was Chapters 55-61 (which marks the end of the first series). The first time the Achiga girls were even mentioned was Chapter 76, and even then they didn't even have a named attached to them (they were just called "Akado's school" by Fujita).
Old 2012-05-16, 05:23   Link #949
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raruku View Post
Question: Can Teru switch her position to Captain at the final match so that she can face Saki ?
No, and she's facing Yuuki in the Vanguard match

yeah.. I'm not sure how is this going to work

maybe if Saki can achieve a draw during the last Captain round, they'll have to redo the match?
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 05:31   Link #950
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

It depends. For all we know, Saki will be able to battle her sister in the Individual Tourney instead.
Old 2012-05-16, 06:07   Link #951
Sol Falling

Does Saki even need to play Teru for a resolution to their plotline/relationship. I'm sure they already know each other's strength-level/playstyle well enough. It seems to me that breaking Miyanaga Teru's three year dominance over the interhighs could be significant enough in itself. After all, Saki's former mindset as far as Teru remembers her (probably) was Plus-Minus Zero.

I highly question whether there will be any significance to the Miyanaga story in the individual tournament. The main plotlines have been built up far too much around the team tournament. There will almost certainly be some sort of resolution in the finals.

As far as the individuals, having rewatched the first season recently, I actually think they might end up serving as a great stage for some tension between Saki and Nodoka. The drama would be effective precisely because they would no longer be bound by a team mentality.

Incidentally, Achiga ch. 10 was really quite interesting. Particularly I took note of Shindouji's description of "traditional" team lineups placing their ace in the Center, with some banking on the Captain's battle but the majority of "modern" schools instead issuing their aces as the Vanguard.

Also, I feel really bad for Toki. Just, really bad and admiring of her. I want her to come out okay.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 06:13   Link #952
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
It depends. For all we know, Saki will be able to battle her sister in the Individual Tourney instead.
she could, but that would be terribly anti climatic considering all the build up has been on the Team bracket so far
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 06:26   Link #953
Valky
Radioactive

I think it makes more sense if Teru and Saki face off in the individuals though.

Different from Achiga's wish to fight against Nodoka because almost all Achiga's player more or less know Nodoka, but since all of them can't play against her in individual tournament together, it makes more sense to fight in team tournament instead.

On the other hand, Teru is Saki's goal. Other Kiyosumi player barely know her. And it makes more sense if Saki wants to "talk" with Teru on person, instead of "talking" with Teru's teammates.
Old 2012-05-16, 08:54   Link #954
Xacual

I just want to see Yuuki in the east round actually scoring off Teru, I'm sure she'll pay dearly for it outside east round but I want to see it.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 11:24   Link #955
Proto

Quote:
On the other hand, Teru is Saki's goal. Other Kiyosumi player barely know her. And it makes more sense if Saki wants to "talk" with Teru on person, instead of "talking" with Teru's teammates.
Dunno. For all we know Teru may be using Awai Oohoshi as a substitute goldfish for her sister so it's Saki mission to show that she doesn't stand up to her.
Old 2012-05-16, 12:37   Link #956
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I just want to see Yuuki in the east round actually scoring off Teru, I'm sure she'll pay dearly for it outside east round but I want to see it.
Well, that's probably what's going to happen, unless Teru uses her mirror attack to block Yuuki's power, like she's pretty much doing with Toki right now, and unlike Toki's future sight, I don't remember Yuuki's east boost to be something she can control and push even further beyond at will, so... yeah... No Taco will save her this time.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 12:39   Link #957
Proto

Well, she can try to get something really big during the very first game so that she can offset all the future point loses.
Old 2012-05-16, 13:02   Link #958
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well, she can try to get something really big during the very first game so that she can offset all the future point loses.
Re-read the last two chapters of achiga-hen. Unless she gets 30000 points from everyone, Teru will take it all back before Yuuki can finish munching a fun size taco. And god knows what all the other girls can do. Hell, what if one has the power to not get points taken at all, like an improved version of Kirame's endure, doesn't get anything, but doesn't lose anything. It would make some kind of sense to have someone like that seeing how much of an ungodly lead Shiraitodai seems to get from the beginning.
Old 2012-05-16, 13:05   Link #959
Proto

Quote:
Re-read the last two chapters of achiga-hen. Unless she gets 30000 points from everyone,
Partially offset then. I didn't mean it literally -_-

Quote:
doesn't get anything, but doesn't lose anything
No one would be able to get even a Tsumo then. That's kind of broken o_o Well not that the rest of the abilities in this series aren't.
Old 2012-05-16, 13:10   Link #960
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Partially offset then. I didn't mean it literally -_-

No one would be able to get even a Tsumo then. That's kind of broken o_o Well not that the rest of the abilities in this series aren't.
Sorry man. But still, look how far the girl who can see into the future got. I just can't see Yuuki leaving that table with her sanity intact.

And yeah, broken, but as you say, not unseen. Just think about it: full moon power up, having divine energy in your very breasts, whatever the hell makes Touka awaken. I don't think it's impossible to have something like that, or at least something similar.

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri