Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2003-12-02, 20:55   Link #1
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Evangelion inspired murder??

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=4400

Apparently watching Evangelion inspired some Japanese guy to kill his mother. Personally I think it's bs, just an attack by some prosecutor who hates anime. Either that or the guy was really fucked up. Anyone here have any opinions on it? Could this be the start of an attack on violent anime, similar to the controversy about violent video games in the US?
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 21:27   Link #2
Yami Edge
Sinónimo de Grandeza

Send a message via MSN to Yami Edge Send a message via Yahoo to Yami Edge
dude ! the same happend here in Chile... but with the Yu - Gi - Oh! cards... that 2 boyz die in a suicide, and all the people think was for a stupid card...
Yami Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 21:29   Link #3
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

If a person is f*cked up in the head...then he's f*cked up...nothing more nothign less...a lot of people watched evangelion...but did they go out and beat their family members to death?
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 21:35   Link #4
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

yeah im with Superchop! Evangelion was a masterpiece of an anime and ppl like him blaming it on evangelion annoy me. Yes i admit evangelion was a little weird in some parts and stuff but in the end it was just an anime. ^_^ Anyway im not to sure what im talking about so im gonna finish off with; Evangelion, YOU ROK! ^_^woot woot
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 21:43   Link #5
Esperchld
Photographer

Yes, yes, please ban Evangelion and Yu-gi-oh. Finally a misappropriation of blame that I wouldn't mind seeing. This is better than the blame the videogame companies or movie companies, or Def Lepard and Judas Priest being blamed for murders and attempted murders.

The only people to blame for these things is the people who commit the act and the people around them. (ie. parents, classmates, teachers, ect....). When will the world learn this.
Esperchld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 21:49   Link #6
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

Quote:
Yes, yes, please ban Evangelion and Yu-gi-oh.
Wat!!?? omg hes crazy!!?? *Spirit Mushrooms with whom i have a packed i summon you blah blah...GET HIM! nah j/k if ya want evangelion banned i guess thats ok ^_^ Anyway that man chose to do wat he did so now he will pay.

*wat anime do they say summin along those lines?....ermm free....ermm malteaser for anyone who guesses rite! ^_^*
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 00:30   Link #7
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

A person's behaviour is a result mostly of his enviroment, yes?

A lot of people watched Eva without killing anybody, Eva even if partially responsible is not the main contribution to this incident if isuch incident is true.

Unless the person does little else but watch Eva and is obsessed with it, then who or what then is respondsible for such a situation?
Don Eunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 03:38   Link #8
corp20
Internet God

Why don't people just get up. Turn off the TV. And hitting their kids once in a while. -Bender.
corp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 04:14   Link #9
Animaniac
On leave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Eunuch
A person's behaviour is a result mostly of his enviroment, yes?

A lot of people watched Eva without killing anybody, Eva even if partially responsible is not the main contribution to this incident if isuch incident is true.

Unless the person does little else but watch Eva and is obsessed with it, then who or what then is respondsible for such a situation?
That's all true, but nearly always video games and television are used as cop-outs by people who don't want to accept responsiblity of their own actions, either a parent who has no control over their children or someone who has broken the law and needs to shift blame away from himself.
Animaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 09:52   Link #10
Esperchld
Photographer

The problem as I see it here is most likely a fault with the parents. When ever I see one of these things happen, it almost always involves a parent NOT doing their job. Their job is to raise their child as best they can. This comes before their paying job. However, it is becoming more and more common to let the TV babysit the kids. 9 out of 10 times that something bad like this happens the parent wasn't paying attention to what the kid was doing with their time.
Esperchld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 10:16   Link #11
Cassandra
Ultimate Catwoman

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra Send a message via Yahoo to Cassandra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=4400

Apparently watching Evangelion inspired some Japanese guy to kill his mother. Personally I think it's bs, just an attack by some prosecutor who hates anime. Either that or the guy was really fucked up. Anyone here have any opinions on it? Could this be the start of an attack on violent anime, similar to the controversy about violent video games in the US?

Just a note...it's not the guy's defense saying this. It's the prosecution.
Cassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 10:33   Link #12
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
thats plain stupid even if he didnt watch eva or whatever it is he watched (personally i havent watched evangelion neo genesis) he would of comitted the crime due to some other thing he watched heard or saw in real life these things r just stimulants they r not the main cause of the act it must have been some major events that made him deep down messed up to commit such act or he is just geneticly prone to psychological problems
Old 2003-12-03, 11:18   Link #13
NinjaServ

Heh, since he beat her with a baseball bat FLCL would have been a better defense. Yeah, I'm talking about that scene where the guy hits his dad with the baseball bat!
NinjaServ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-04, 01:23   Link #14
orahteak
(>).(<)

i guess if you compare it to the case in the US a lil back about the soprano episode inspiring two sons to murder their mom- cut off her head hands and feet- dumped the body to be found- and kept the mom's head in their freezer in their apartment. TV is bad for you It would be good for sesame street to be on every channel for 24/7
orahteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-04, 03:19   Link #15
Oneesama
本當に愛してるなら, "鰻食べる?”ってきかないで

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperchld
The problem as I see it here is most likely a fault with the parents. When ever I see one of these things happen, it almost always involves a parent NOT doing their job. Their job is to raise their child as best they can. This comes before their paying job. However, it is becoming more and more common to let the TV babysit the kids. 9 out of 10 times that something bad like this happens the parent wasn't paying attention to what the kid was doing with their time.
Is that how you think this is? Indeed, their job is to raise their child as best they can( i am sure every parent has the same thought).....Yet, think about if you are a single parent with a limited budget, trying to make a living and can't tag your kid to work -VS- stay home babysit and starve your kid . I mean... sometimes what choices does parents have to leave their kids at home by themselves? parent NOT doing their job? I don't know what your call for all responsibilities parents have to take into account... ...

oh well, just my op~
Oneesama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-04, 04:36   Link #16
Seifer_us
A Hunter of Peace

Heh... I did a little digging, and it looks like even Trigun, even with all it's good moral lessons, was brought up in a bad light by the media. Oddly, it happened almost around this same time 3 years ago. It's also interesting that just like this incident, the media focused on something from the show that the perpetrator had quoted. Check out the story here: http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Ginza...-shinjuku.html
Seifer_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-04, 11:15   Link #17
RavenChild
エリック

Send a message via AIM to RavenChild Send a message via MSN to RavenChild
i'll be the first to admit that eva was screwy but killing someone other than yourself for watching it is plain stupidity. he should have blamed perfect blue or something like that.
Old 2003-12-04, 12:12   Link #18
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneesama
Is that how you think this is? Indeed, their job is to raise their child as best they can( i am sure every parent has the same thought).....Yet, think about if you are a single parent with a limited budget, trying to make a living and can't tag your kid to work -VS- stay home babysit and starve your kid . I mean... sometimes what choices does parents have to leave their kids at home by themselves? parent NOT doing their job? I don't know what your call for all responsibilities parents have to take into account... ...

oh well, just my op~
I seriously doubt many parents work 24/7, hence they do have time to spend with their kids AFTER work. I mean, since most kids go to school, and school usually ends only a few hours before parents get home, there's only a few hours in which they have to find someone to care for their kid. After that it's the parent's responsibility. Besides, you have to really instill "morals" into them really young, because once kids grow up, their personality becomes inertia ridden and hard to change. I mean, even an hour a day with their kids would be beneficial if you start when they're young. Besides, wouldn't the kid who killed someone intentionally show signs BEFORE they commit a murder? If your kids aren't willing to talk to you about feelings like that, then you probably didn't show kids enough support that they could talk to you about anything. Granted, there are exceptions when parents don't realize something is happening, but that really should be the exception, and for extreme things like murder, unless the kids had a medical mental illness that was undetected, parents should be able to notice.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-04, 22:39   Link #19
Mad Cat
You only live once!

Send a message via ICQ to Mad Cat
That is bull...Point a finger at the shitz the guy liket and lets throw some dirt to.
Its just like the school shotings in the US, some kids lissten to Marilyn Manson so let him take all the crap for it BUT if it was Backstreet Boys it would be like "oh so they lissten to Backstreet Boys? didnt know" and thats all.

Fücken bull
Mad Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-04, 22:43   Link #20
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
A lot of parents are overprotective of their children. I don't know if this story is true or not, but I've heard a lot of other stories like that about not only anime but kids movies and cartoons.. Back when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were popular, there was a rumor that a little kid pushed his friend underground telling him he was going to meet the Ninja Turtles. x.o There was another similar rumor about a little kid killing his friend when they were playing "Batman". There's tons of rumors like that..

Personally, I'm not sure if it's true or not. But my intuition tells me that parents who hate the shows have invented them just to worry other parents about the show. Any cartoon that's not always perfectly happy happy will have a negative response from parents. Specially anime, because not only it sometimes has a bit of violence but sometimes it has nudity and it brings up "taboo" topics at times. But I really don't think watching a violent cartoon or a violent anime can make a kid go crazy.

I think that if that kid really did that, he was already messed up before watching Eva.. and you can never be sure if he actually did that because of Eva. We don't know all the details, maybe they just made some parallels between Eva and what he did..

It's really stupid to blame the media for something like that in my opinion. If the parents has taught them that killing and hurting others is wrong, which is pretty basic.. A situation like this wouldn't happen. Also, if the kid was just messed up in the begining, the show was only the trigger. ..
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote