AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-10-16, 13:00   Link #1
xxxplizit
triple-echhi

Send a message via AIM to xxxplizit Send a message via MSN to xxxplizit Send a message via Yahoo to xxxplizit
Jack Thompson Vs. videogame issues. Do u guys think it'll impact Japanese Games too?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yREGBKZggwA

It appears that Jack Thompson still won't give up on stating about Video Game Violence. Though this is concentrated more on American games like Doom and now Bully, do you guys think in the futute he may target japanese (anime-related) games as well to so-called "strengthen his argument"?

Last edited by xxxplizit; 2006-10-16 at 13:13. Reason: to make it anime-related gaming
xxxplizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 13:12   Link #2
Dark`
The Terror of Death

I think it's gotten beyond the point of sad by this point. It's been proven that Bully is not a school-GTA game...there's no killing or whatever. Furthermore, despite the name, the players don't actually control a bully character...a lot of times they're helping out people who are getting bullied. I mean, it's not like bullying never existed before the game was conceived...maybe good ol' Jack should take a look into that before blaming this video game for kid's getting their "heads knocked in" or whatever. The guy's an attention whore...too bad a lot of the media and government back him up because they're completely clueless about the gaming industry in the first place.

(Haven't watched the link posted as of this post).

Clicked on the link afterwards, turns out I've watched that already. I really hate the fact that he basically puts none of the responsibility on the parents for buying games inappropriate for the age of their kids. I mean, places like EBgames can refuse to sell it to the child, but if the parent/grandparent/guardian comes up to them and insists on purchasing the game, they can warn the adult all they warn, but if they [parent/grandparent/guardian] don't listen, it accomplishes nothing. Then, when they actually see the content of the games their kids are playing, they get their knickers in a twist and complain about video game violence and how it's "ruining" society.

I don't think the more anime-related (re: games localized from overseas) will take as much heat for a while, simply because the violence quotient in games more favoured by North American gamers (FPS, GTA and clones) are on average higher and more "realistic" than in games favoured by Asian gamers (RPG, dating sims, etc). That's not to say NA gamers don't like what Asian gamers like and vice-versa, but with the exception of some huge franchises like Final Fantasy, the average FPS and GTA-clone does better than the average RPG for the most part in NA. So unless FPS games start turning into carnival games (ie - shooting water into the face of a clown to make the balloon above his head explode), I really don't see them going after Japanese/anime-related games much, if at all.

Oh boy...probably gonna get some flak for the above paragraph... ._.;

Last edited by Dark`; 2006-10-16 at 14:14. Reason: expanding on original post
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 14:37   Link #3
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Someone please lock this thread immediately. As has been stated, the man is an attention-whore, and they way to deal with that is to not give him any attention.
Quote:
kid's getting their "heads knocked in" or whatever
Don't abuse the apostrophe!
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 14:43   Link #4
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

The guy has a point though...I saw a numb3rs episode not too long ago in which the kids were using a modded doom or some shit and went and pulled a columbine...

But on the other hand, in terms of ANIME games? Big lawl there...JRPGs are some of the best sellers in America...I don't think exports will be hurt before things like GTA and DooM bite the dust.
Old 2006-10-16, 15:03   Link #5
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
The guy has a point though...I saw a numb3rs episode not too long ago in which the kids were using a modded doom or some shit and went and pulled a columbine...
Yeah....because TV is always an accurate depiction of real life...
Old 2006-10-16, 16:13   Link #6
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Someone please lock this thread immediately. As has been stated, the man is an attention-whore, and they way to deal with that is to not give him any attention.

Well, that's what I get for changing my original line of kid's heads getting knocked in to kid's getting their "heads knocked in" or whatever. Thanks for pointing that out Mr. they way.

But yeah....attention whore to the fullest. No publicity is bad publicity, right? >_>
Old 2006-10-16, 16:16   Link #7
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Wow! It's been too long since our old friend Jack Thompson entertained us with his personal brand of wacky humor! I always have a great laugh when he pulls one of these amusingly outrageous stunts.

I hope he's back to stay because this world really needs something to laugh at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post

While he certainly is an attention-whore there are two reasons to allow the thread to exist.

1. He really does bring up points that are relevant in today's society. The arguments he makes are being voiced by others. Ignoring these arguments won't make them go away.

2. His antics are so over the top that he makes me laugh.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 17:15   Link #8
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Just for anyone who hadn't heard yet- the Bully thing has now been resolved. A judge asked to see a copy of the game to see if Thompson's claims about it being a "columbine simulator" were anywhere close to correct. He concluded that while he wouldn't let his kids play the game, it contained nothing that couldn't easily be found on tv. Once again, Thompson finds his mouth inextricably crammed down his throat. At this rate, Thompson must be the world's most notorious foot fetishist
Old 2006-10-16, 17:25   Link #9
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit View Post
Just for anyone who hadn't heard yet- the Bully thing has now been resolved. A judge asked to see a copy of the game to see if Thompson's claims about it being a "columbine simulator" were anywhere close to correct. He concluded that while he wouldn't let his kids play the game, it contained nothing that couldn't easily be found on tv. Once again, Thompson finds his mouth inextricably crammed down his throat. At this rate, Thompson must be the world's most notorious foot fetishist
Well, he certainly didn't take it sitting down that's for sure...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159812.html

Quote:
"What you conducted in your chambers, Judge, was the equivalent of Iran leading UN weapons inspectors around the country taking them to places where the illegal activity was not occurring."
Quote:
"Now that you have consigned innumerable children to skull fractures, eye injuries from slingshots, and beatings with baseball bats, without a hearing as to the danger, let me tell you a few things, with all respect for your office and with no respect for the arbitrary way in which you handled this matter," he wrote. "The way you conducted yourself today helps explain why a great Dade County Judge, the late Rhea Pincus Grossman, could not abide you."
Quote:
"How dare you, Judge, promise a hearing today and then prevent that hearing from occurring. How dare you, Judge, petulantly order the production of the game after it is released on Tuesday morning. I didn't even ask for that. You did that out of spite, and you were smiling when you did that. You really enjoyed that one, didn't you, Judge? Next time you promise a 'hearing,' I'll bring a parent with me whose kid is in the ground because of a kid who trained to kill him or her on a violent video game. Try mocking that person, I dare you."
Ah, it's good to have you back Jack.
Old 2006-10-16, 17:36   Link #10
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well, this is G4 we're talking about. Were you really expecting a rational debate? As usual, they loaded the side that makes them look good with speakers to slug it out with the other side (Jack Thompson).

It could all be solved by Rockstar Games letting him and 2 respectable psych people associated with the studies play the game before release. That's probably what Rockstar Games doesn't want to do. If the player is standing up to teachers as what the website for the game indicates, then there may be something to what he's saying imo.

But you also need to remember what the judge is ruling on and what Thompson is complaining about aren't the same. It would require a court hearing to resolve which was what he was denied. Here's my take on their views.

Judge: Game meets all the requirements of a teen rating therefore can ship.
Thompson: Violence in the game may result in increased violence by children who played the game, therefore game shouldn't ship. (Judge can't resolve this behind close doors. It requires a lengthy hearing with experts on each side slugging it out. Game release would have been delayed prob if it went to trial.)

Now, if there is one violent incident linked to that video game, that judge will be in deep trouble.

Last edited by orion; 2006-10-16 at 17:56.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 17:54   Link #11
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Okay, seeing that game, I can see what the guy was whining about. It's definitely a disgusting looking game, that's for sure...but I hate GTA as well, so...
Old 2006-10-16, 19:06   Link #12
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I don't like Jack Thompson; he has wild misconceptions about the industry on the whole, however, even though he thinks badly of it, his main motivation for his 'crusade' and the main company he attacks is Rockstar. I don't like Rockstar, myself. I don't like GTA. Not only do I not like GTA for what it is, I think a large part of its success is because of its controversial nature. It may be a series of solid games, but I don't think it sells so well because it's a freaking great series. Many copies have been bought because of "cool" (heavy sarcasm) things like drive-bys, beating prostitues, and other forms of wonton, glorified violence. Anywho, Jacks biggest vendetta is against Rockstar, so as much as I don't like him, his main adversary is Rockstar, and that I don't really care about all that much.

Someone said that people support Jack, but he has lost, and continues to lose, support. A lot of organizations led by parents and politicians and so forth who speak out on violence and unwholesome things in the media have found Jack Thompson to be too eccentric, off-base, and doing more harm than good. Also, unlike him, they speak about raising awareness for parents and keeping things orderly (like prohibiting sales to minors and enforcing the rating system and so forth) and encouraging parents to know what their kids are watching/listening to/playing, etc. Jack, on the other hand, is hell bent on damaging the idustry, and his criticism is formed as a blanket generalization; it is like he wants to have all M rated games put down or something. He makes it seem like the whole industry is rotten, all companies and developers and programmers are rotten, crap like that. Many people who have supported him have seen he has highly unreasonable about all this. Where many of those who once supported him would like to voice concern about similar things, raise awareness to parents, and ensure the sale of T and M rated games are not sold to those who fall under the minimum age, Jack is, on the other hand...well, bat-shit insane, unreasonable, and unrealistic.
Old 2006-10-16, 19:25   Link #13
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I swear I remember reading somewhere about him calling out the Japanese for pushing their smut and violent games on America, people and for him calling to boycott the Japanese with tariffs on their video games or something that didn't make a whole lot of sense. He's basically an Envangelical Christian Republican, you cannot stop them as they're belief system has been driven into them since birth essentially. The only thing that is going to stop him is death. Okay found it http://www.daytoncitypaper.com/modul...ticle&sid=2399 "Pearl Harbour 2" (Directed by Michael Bay possibly)
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 19:28   Link #14
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Someone said that people support Jack, but he has lost, and continues to lose, support. A lot of organizations led by parents and politicians and so forth who speak out on violence and unwholesome things in the media have found Jack Thompson to be too eccentric, off-base, and doing more harm than good. Also, unlike him, they speak about raising awareness for parents and keeping things orderly (like prohibiting sales to minors and enforcing the rating system and so forth) and encouraging parents to know what their kids are watching/listening to/playing, etc. Jack, on the other hand, is hell bent on damaging the idustry, and his criticism is formed as a blanket generalization; it is like he wants to have all M rated games put down or something. He makes it seem like the whole industry is rotten, all companies and developers and programmers are rotten, crap like that. Many people who have supported him have seen he has highly unreasonable about all this. Where many of those who once supported him would like to voice concern about similar things, raise awareness to parents, and ensure the sale of T and M rated games are not sold to those who fall under the minimum age, Jack is, on the other hand...well, bat-shit insane, unreasonable, and unrealistic.
That would be me. While I did not know about his backing being weakened (I really don't follow Jack that much, though his antics are somewhat amusing to me....probably less so than to NSW), he still does have some support (obviously! ), otherwise I doubt he would continue on this "crusade" (re: tirade) of his...well, knowing Jack, he probably would. The thing that stands out in my mind are people like Hillary Clinton supporting Jack...anyone know if she still does?

I'm not a fan of the GTA series myself. My friend lent me GTA Vice City....but it did not keep my interest at all. I don't know...guess it's not my cup of tea. But in all honesty, I just don't see what the big deal with Bully is...it's not GTA: School Edition, nor a "Columbine Simulator". But whatever, to each their own. Keep "fighting the good fight" Jack!
Old 2006-10-16, 19:42   Link #15
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Hehe, Dark, I don't really read up on him, I only know most of what I know about him through reading posts in other forum discussions about him on gaming boards (where there is a lot more insults thrown at him there, I've noticed ).
Old 2006-10-16, 20:00   Link #16
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
I remember when he first started attacking it when all that was really known about the game was the name. Do you haters really know anything about this game? Real high school is much more offensive than anything I have read or seen about this game.

Dear Jack, I was rather displeased to hear nothing from you when Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis was released. How dare you ignore a game that trains children to hit small projectiles with paddles at one another!? The game totally rewards violence with more violence as the projectile hurtles back and forth toward our defenseless children. Unfortunately, the game has already been released and children all across America have improved their hand eye coordination resulting in increased lethality with small plastic projectiles. Im sorry Jack, but you have dropped the ball on this one.

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 20:02   Link #17
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
It could all be solved by Rockstar Games letting him and 2 respectable psych people associated with the studies play the game before release. That's probably what Rockstar Games doesn't want to do. If the player is standing up to teachers as what the website for the game indicates, then there may be something to what he's saying imo.
Well, for one thing, unlike the judge, Jack could not and would not be considered anything close to an unbiased source... he has a nice history of twisting and misinterperting facts... Also, there's a big difference between "standing up" to teachers and fighting them... if i recall correctly, fighting with teachers in the game results in very swift punishment... same goes for fighting with kids and girls... The game seems to be much more about standing up for yourself and others aswell as fighting with Bully's than being a Bully yourself... There's no guns, knives, blood, or death in the game

Jack is kinda like a conspiricy nut... Every since GTA and the whole "hot coffeee" fiasco last year, jack is convinced that Rockstar is trying to hide something in Bully; with clamis that they are hiding all the bad stuff from the media, the ESRB and the judge... Ofcourse he ignores that fact that rockstar has NOTHING to gain from hiding such content... Rockstar's ended up suffering terribly from the hot coffee fiasco last year and were even threatened to be fined if they do it again... really, hiding stuff from the public is really against Rockstar's own intrests; they'd got to be nuts to actually try something like hiding content... Sure controversy does sell well, but only when you throw it out there in the open (like with GTA), not when you hide it away...

Quote:
Now, if there is one violent incident linked to that video game, that judge will be in deep trouble.
yes, because Bulling DIDN'T exist until after this game was made

Consideriong how common it is for male teens to play video games, and the fact that violent poeple tend to be attracted to violent media... Finding out that a violent teen also happens to enjoy violent video games is VERY easy coincidence... The first time we hear that "Bully was the cause of a teen using a slingshot against someone", I'd be willing to bet that the teen involved owned and used a slingshot long before Bully came out...

This is what Jack Thompson does, he ingores all root causes to a youth becoming violent, and tries to pin it all on video games like GTA...

Quote:
Someone said that people support Jack, but he has lost, and continues to lose, support. A lot of organizations led by parents and politicians and so forth who speak out on violence and unwholesome things in the media have found Jack Thompson to be too eccentric, off-base, and doing more harm than good.
Jack is to protecting children from violent video games, as PETA is to protecting animals

Last edited by Slayerx; 2006-10-16 at 20:46.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 21:48   Link #18
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post

Dear Jack, I was rather displeased to hear nothing from you when Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis was released. How dare you ignore a game that trains children to hit small projectiles with paddles at one another!? The game totally rewards violence with more violence as the projectile hurtles back and forth toward our defenseless children. Unfortunately, the game has already been released and children all across America have improved their hand eye coordination resulting in increased lethality with small plastic projectiles. Im sorry Jack, but you have dropped the ball on this one.

No, seriously though, what I don't understand is that he didn't say a damn thing when Rockstar's worse game (by far, I hate this game personally) Manhunt was released. That one released with no problems, but people are making a fuss over the hot coffee mod and Bully. Yeah, those things are far worse than Manhunt.
Old 2006-10-17, 10:16   Link #19
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
He's basically an Envangelical Christian Republican, you cannot stop them as they're belief system has been driven into them since birth essentially.
Hey wait a second...don't correlate ALL Evangelical Christians with Thompson's level of idiocy. Not all Evangelicals are as closed minded and irrational as Thompson.
Old 2006-10-17, 13:55   Link #20
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
He really does bring up points that are relevant in today's society. The arguments he makes are being voiced by others. Ignoring these arguments won't make them go away.
Oh yeah?
Quote:
A lot of organizations led by parents and politicians and so forth who speak out on violence and unwholesome things in the media have found Jack Thompson to be too eccentric, off-base, and doing more harm than good. Also, unlike him, they speak about raising awareness for parents and keeping things orderly (like prohibiting sales to minors and enforcing the rating system and so forth) and encouraging parents to know what their kids are watching/listening to/playing, etc. Jack, on the other hand, is hell bent on damaging the idustry, and his criticism is formed as a blanket generalization; it is like he wants to have all M rated games put down or something.
In a nutshell: he makes a bad argument, and giving it attention won't achieve anything. Especially if you direct your attention to him, which is what this is about.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote