AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-02-09, 03:42   Link #81
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Really, at the moment I do think this is visually the most esthetically pleasing anime I've ever seen. The visual invention is like being in an art school -- with only the best students. They only repeat the most interesting conceits, and they don't repeat them too much.
Spoiler for ep5:
Every week, the way the art, sound, characters, and story interweave leaves me feeling better about people, and about life.

Seeing ep1 subbed also added to the Hidamari enjoyment. Thanks, Shintani.

And I hesitate to say it now, but Gotou Yuuko's voice was mesmerizingly beautiful in both episodes. Not that any of the other four main voices aren't a joy to listen to, too.

Note: If anyone thinks I should put more of this in spoilers, please let me know.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-02-09 at 04:09.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 05:22   Link #82
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just finished episode 1 (up past my crashtime) .... yay.. I actually had understood most of it when watching the raws (though the dialog around the kotatsu got a bit tense ). Looking forward to wide-screen later.

The fansub was pretty decent --- dialog fonts were easy to read... the OP/ED cursive font fits with the art but was a bit more difficult for me to read <shrug> not a real problem.

Hard to get more slice-o-life gentle humor than this....

@Kaoru: looks a-ok to me....

I'd love to keep watching the raws but at 300MB each, its seriously painful on the download budget...
Old 2007-02-09, 08:19   Link #83
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Really, at the moment I do think this is visually the most esthetically pleasing anime I've ever seen. The visual invention is like being in an art school -- with only the best students. They only repeat the most interesting conceits, and they don't repeat them too much.
Spoiler for ep5:
Every week, the way the art, sound, characters, and story interweave leaves me feeling better about people, and about life.

And I hesitate to say it now, but Gotou Yuuko's voice was mesmerizingly beautiful in both episodes. Not that any of the other four main voices aren't a joy to listen to, too.

Note: If anyone thinks I should put more of this in spoilers, please let me know.
Hmmm, I don't think it's really required to put everything in spoilers since there is nothing really spoiler-like in what you say . That said, I am anticipating to watch episode 5 soon enough once I can get a hold of it.

I was taking a look at your seiyuu list and I must say that all of them have done a wonderful job but I personally enjoyed Mizuhashi Kaori (Miyako)'s voice quite a bit since it has this distinctive tone in her voice that makes it good. This series is really a low tone comedy series with that slant just like PPD. Good stuff and I can't wait to blog the next episode when it comes out
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 11:50   Link #84
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Spoiler for ep5:

Yeah, Kaoru an art detail is not really a spoiler, those spoiler tags are mostly for plot detail and character revelations or in my case I also use them to hide large picture posts. Also with your choice of words in paragraph one I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Perhaps you should revise it and clarify the terms "visual invention" and "Interesting Conceits". Perhaps you mean visual innovation, which is unfortunately not the case for me since I've seen Pani Poni Dash as also done by Shaft, and it has the same bizarre switches to chibi and surrealism as well. That doesn't mean it isn't funny as hell to look at and watch though.

Oh and please please please don't plant expectations of life altering viewing here, as I'm just going to have to ignore that, as I can tell dead on that this isn't what its about, this is about a girl wanting to make an impression in the world of art and the bizzareness and friendships with the other classmates that seem to follow, simply slice of life with a side dish of light comedy and enough character to keep it going along. Unreasonable expectations are so not cool. Though if a slice of life comedy can leave you feeling better about life after a viewing you are the single happiest and satisfied person on the place of the earth and I envy that.

On another topic to everybody, if Yuko Goto is the pink haired girl, she is very tolerable in that role. I still think she'll never make big waves, but at least I don't have to hit the mute button here.

After seeing episode 1, I have to say that my current favourite is the whimiscal and clueless Miyako with a follow-up by the tough but sweet cosplaying art teacher who makes squeaking noises whenever she walks. The other characters are strange and interesting as well with the diet happy Hiro and the insecure Sae. Yuno also has much to learn it would seem and thus the most room to grow throughout her time at the art school. This is a good, nice, and subtle way to introduce the cast without overstepping or forcing anything to early on. Sometimes I wish real life could be like this, but thats just never going to happen as I said earlier, its just a show and nothing it can do can have any impact on the real world or the people in it for better or worse. Here's to them keeping everything subtle and restrained as we see Yuno's year at the academy. This is such a humble series that its impossible to hate it like I do the self-indulging, overly ambitious and ultimately pointless Manabi Straight, which started of humble, but quickly devolved into a vehicle for the voice actors and animators to work their craft at the expense of plot and character. I also think I crossed the two shows together and it was really Hidamari Sketch I wanted to watch in the first place and I attributed aspects of Hidamari to Manabi Straight. Oh well, too late now as I've made the final decision that Hidamari will be my all girl slice of life story for 2007.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-02-09 at 13:04.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 19:15   Link #85
Kilgamayan
Ow! My nutbladder!
*Fansubber

Good news! We decided today that we're sufficiently far behind the actual TV airings that we're just going to use widescreen raws from here on out (here being Episode 2). I don't know when we'll get to re-timing Episode 1 for the widescreen version but it'll happen eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
On another topic to everybody, if Yuko Goto is the pink haired girl, she is very tolerable in that role. I still think she'll never make big waves, but at least I don't have to hit the mute button here.
Yep, that is indeed her. I rather like her in that role, it's definitely a change of pace from the previous roles she's done.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 20:05   Link #86
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A bucket of Pangya cookies for the team ..... I think ya'll will be much happier with the results much less the murky crowd of leeches who worship you
Old 2007-02-10, 05:38   Link #87
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
yes the subs are nice looking at all the things ive missed means that i still have a long long way to go ~

and seeing the cosplay goddess is just heart warming (question...why are they wearing slippers? )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 06:41   Link #88
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Ah, what to say.. after so much time, finally able to enjoy Hidamari Sketch subbed. Endless thanks to Shintani.
It's also nice to hear from episode 2 we'll have ws, in episode 1 sometimes I had the impression that the huge face of Miyako would eventually came out of the screen and eat me ^^;;

Now, as for the show, it is nothing less than I expected (I had already seen the raw for episode 1, but even if I understood something, with the sub it's all another matter), humor, soft feeling of friendship between 4 girls. I love situations where friendship is depicted, and where persons are shown close and caring between each other. Hidamari Sketch makes no exception. The Hidamari apartments, whereas each door has a different color, are wonderful for the sight. They really gives the idea of art, and it's an excellent touch for one, like me, who loves either the art either the concept of different colors.

I like the main character Yuno and her seiyuu (Kana Asumi) a lot, she's a bit awkward but in the good sense, she's the shy type, but never holding back when it comes to put effort into things. My favourite character though, is Miyako , that girl makes me laugh so much. She's the bold type, a bit greedy ("why do I have do buy a cellphone when outside there might be someone buying it for me? I mean, the world is so big, there must be someone willing to buy a cellphone to me!" Her logic is flawless ). Clumsy (Love and PIECE) but with a big heart as well. At the beginning, for her joking attitude, I could think of her as Miu in Ichigo Mashimaro, but Miu was a meanie .. Miya-chan seems to be a good girl and that's why I like her the most. Kudos to her voice (Mizuhashi Kaori), capable to catch the glimpses of her character.

As for the other two, we've seen less, Hiro has shown a generous side, and Yuko Gutou is doing well (far away from the high pitched performance as Asahina Mikuru in SHnY). The first time I watched the show, I knew one of the seiyuus was her, but I needed a bit to recognize her. Lastly, Sae (whom character design slightly resembles that of Ayuki in Kashimashi, and adult Nanaka is Nanaka 6/17), after 1 episode she' s the character we learnt of the least. From the first hints, the smart and wise type, always valid for suggestions. Her voice actress is Shintani Ryoko, Hinata from Amaenaideyo, and the two characters looks a bit alike (as for hair colours, for sure. But also as introverse personality).

Finally I'd like to spend two words about the Opening Theme, which is simply *spectacular*, both aestethically both musically. The song makes me want to dance, the lyrics are surprisingly brilliant (I love the color associations) and the visuals are priceless. Three higlights: 1) when Yuno picks one of the tempera after they scrolled in front of her. 2)Full screen Miyako laughing out loud 3)The girls running, and running, and running.. with the background moving, and moving, and moving.
All in all, one of the best Opening Themes I remember

So my final opinion can't be anything different than highly positive, I'm looking forward to next episodes. ^^

P.S. And it's also nice to finally have a signature up-to-date with fansubbed shows
Old 2007-02-10, 14:31   Link #89
Kilgamayan
Ow! My nutbladder!
*Fansubber

I am somewhat surprised you picked Hinata Sugai as your Ryoko Shintani representative. >_>

Admittedly, Sae is not a character style common to Ryoko roles, but still, I would compare her more to Mai Otome's Aoi Senoh.
Old 2007-02-10, 14:58   Link #90
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgamayan View Post
I am somewhat surprised you picked Hinata Sugai as your Ryoko Shintani representative. >_>

Admittedly, Sae is not a character style common to Ryoko roles, but still, I would compare her more to Mai Otome's Aoi Senoh.
Really, no harm meant. I have limited knowledge of the seiyuus of this show (except Yuko Gotou) since checking them all I was seeing were secondary parts (concerning shows I've seen).
Scrolling Ryoko's list though, (I haven't watched Mai Otome), I've noticed she dubbed Hinata. Amaenaideyo is one of the most recent shows I've seen, and if there's a really good thing in it, especially on second season, it's Hinata and her voice acting. So, I was totally complimenting her.

I noticed that Shintani, other than her last name, is also the fansub group name. I was wondering if it there was a correlation, or if it was a coincidence. Your "defence" of the seiyuu now makes me actually think of the first option
Old 2007-02-10, 17:17   Link #91
Pantsgoblin
ANN Encyclopedia Editor

Send a message via MSN to Pantsgoblin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I noticed that Shintani, other than her last name, is also the fansub group name. I was wondering if it there was a correlation, or if it was a coincidence. Your "defence" of the seiyuu now makes me actually think of the first option
Yes, we named the fansub group after Ryoko Shintani.
Pantsgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 18:04   Link #92
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Yes, I'm also impressed with Shintani Ryouko's character, Saya. She and Gotou Yuuko are both playing their "onee-san" characters in interesting ways.

I was looking at my characters and seiyuus page for this show (which has pics of the seiyuus and links to more info about them) and can't help posting the link again, for people who have just come to this show since the fansub came out.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 00:20   Link #93
Kilgamayan
Ow! My nutbladder!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Really, no harm meant. I have limited knowledge of the seiyuus of this show (except Yuko Gotou) since checking them all I was seeing were secondary parts (concerning shows I've seen).
Scrolling Ryoko's list though, (I haven't watched Mai Otome), I've noticed she dubbed Hinata. Amaenaideyo is one of the most recent shows I've seen, and if there's a really good thing in it, especially on second season, it's Hinata and her voice acting. So, I was totally complimenting her.

I'm not offended or anything, I was just surprised that Hinata would be the first character that came to someone's mind when they heard Ryoko's name. My first and foremost will always be Milfeulle Sakuraba, but even after that Hinata is fairly far down the list.

I suppose that if Hinata was the only role of hers you'd heard recently, then it would be first you'd think of when you heard her again.
Old 2007-02-11, 10:15   Link #94
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

hahaha, i am keeping up slowly with the episode summaries.

For now, episode 5 summary + thoughts is up.

Cheers!

Spoiler for episode5:
Old 2007-02-11, 12:11   Link #95
masama
use the fōrks ~

ep5
Spoiler:
masama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 12:30   Link #96
fignae
floofer. floof.

Spoiler for Episode 5:

Surprised to hear that some of you don't like Gotou Yuuko's Hiro voice.

And kudos to Shintani-Subs, for your cool name. Oh, and the fansub release, too.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 13:02   Link #97
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think the voices fit the characters pretty well (including Gotou). It is nice when she reaches for voices she doesn't usually do but then the industry tends to typecast VAs rather than want them to be versatile.
Old 2007-02-12, 05:12   Link #98
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 1.

This is a very cute show. It feels like Shinbo has sort of restrained himself in a sense for this show, since his signature (in the anime I have seen) are generally flashy scene transitions and lots of weird camera angles that he seems to have an incredible knack for controlling perfectly. Not present here, and that makes sense given the mood of the show. There really isn't that much to comment on. The comedy is cute and simple without being fall-over-laughing funny. It doesn't look to be terribly ambitious in any sort of way (except the way it used superdeformity, which so far it's handling incredibly well), but it knows what it's doing as far as slice-of-life comedy is concerned. Very solid first ep for its genre, and rather enjoyable.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 07:48   Link #99
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Ep 1.

This is a very cute show. It feels like Shinbo has sort of restrained himself in a sense for this show,
which is a good thing sometimes ~ take a look at negima!? and its been totally screwed over so putting time and effort into this is a good sign ~ im hopeful :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 07:58   Link #100
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Ep 1.

This is a very cute show. It feels like Shinbo has sort of restrained himself in a sense for this show, since his signature (in the anime I have seen) are generally flashy scene transitions and lots of weird camera angles that he seems to have an incredible knack for controlling perfectly. Not present here, and that makes sense given the mood of the show. There really isn't that much to comment on. The comedy is cute and simple without being fall-over-laughing funny. It doesn't look to be terribly ambitious in any sort of way (except the way it used superdeformity, which so far it's handling incredibly well), but it knows what it's doing as far as slice-of-life comedy is concerned. Very solid first ep for its genre, and rather enjoyable.
If you think episode 1 is good, you will be happy when you move on forward.

I am not going to say anymore :P

Tags
comedy, school life, seinen, shaft, slice of life