Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-17, 18:41   Link #27601
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta666 View Post
I would argue the biggest problems will be faced with the nations with the increasing populations. In this sense - like many things - Japan is ahead of the curve on what should be done.
This is just plain ridiculous. Japan needs a change of social views which would rather help increasing birthrates in order to ensure some future in that population.
Old 2013-04-17, 18:47   Link #27602
TheDoctor
Timelord Victorious

“White privilege is knowing that if this bomber turns out to be white, the US government will not bomb whatever corn field or mountain town or stale suburb from which said bomber came, just to ensure that others like him or her don’t get any ideas.”

-Salon.com article on the Boston Marathon Bombing
Old 2013-04-17, 18:57   Link #27603
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
“White privilege is knowing that if this bomber turns out to be white, the US government will not bomb whatever corn field or mountain town or stale suburb from which said bomber came, just to ensure that others like him or her don’t get any ideas.”

-Salon.com article on the Boston Marathon Bombing
Brilliant reasoning. So if he's black, they'll bomb his home city? If he's East Asian, they'll bomb his home country? If he's Indian, we're going to war with India?

I don't fully support the American wars in the Middle East. But I can certainly understand the idea of going to war against a terrorist organization that has de facto control of an entire country (Afghanistan). A lone operative who happens to not be white? Completely ridiculous to assume his home country will then be targeted.

There's no doubt that lots of ignorant people immediately assume the man to be of Middle Eastern origin without any facts. But that statement about white privilege is just going so far overboard they're drowning in the sea.
Old 2013-04-17, 19:25   Link #27604
TheDoctor
Timelord Victorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Brilliant reasoning. So if he's black, they'll bomb his home city? If he's East Asian, they'll bomb his home country? If he's Indian, we're going to war with India?

I don't fully support the American wars in the Middle East. But I can certainly understand the idea of going to war against a terrorist organization that has de facto control of an entire country (Afghanistan). A lone operative who happens to not be white? Completely ridiculous to assume his home country will then be targeted.

There's no doubt that lots of ignorant people immediately assume the man to be of Middle Eastern origin without any facts. But that statement about white privilege is just going so far overboard they're drowning in the sea.
I honestly don't support the war in the Middle East. The United State is not fighting what's right for anymore ( were they at some point? ). In addition, if the bomber is a white person ( could be more than one) and they defend the attacker that's totally racist and uncalled for I don't even know why I'm living in this shitty government.

Another thing that bothers me about this whole mess is how the media's sciolism of taking attention only to the bomb in Boston instead also recognizing the other horrific events in the Middle East because of the U.S.A . So much for the value of human's worth no matter what.
Old 2013-04-17, 19:27   Link #27605
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

The white privilege thing isn't all THAT outrageous of an argument to bring up in this context. At least when it comes up domestically. After it was revealed that the Oklahoma city bombing was the work of a white supremacist member of the Christian identity movement, the average white Christian church goer didn't have to worry about being victimized for their alleged connection with terrorism.

After 9/11, the number of hate crimes directed against Muslims rose by 1,600 percent.

So no. You can't just dismiss the idea that being part of the white majority is a privilege during tragedies like this.
Old 2013-04-17, 19:42   Link #27606
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
So no. You can't just dismiss the idea that being part of the white majority is a privilege during tragedies like this.
You can dismiss the idea that any minority's country would be carpet bombed because of the actions of a lone wolf, though.
Old 2013-04-17, 20:01   Link #27607
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I might remind people of the Branch Davidian and Waco.
Old 2013-04-17, 20:12   Link #27608
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I might remind people of the Branch Davidian and Waco.
That was another category of idiots who enjoy shitting on existing laws.

And I didn't count the fact that their guru was a sick freak.
Old 2013-04-17, 20:41   Link #27609
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
After 9/11, the number of hate crimes directed against Muslims rose by 1,600 percent.

It's outrageous to bring it up, and then use examples that are so drastically different. The Christian Identity Movement is hardly a large-scale organization with political ties and international underground presence. It's not a massive "terrorist organization." It's very important that people understand that massive difference.

You're right in that the hate crimes are unjustified, though. Again though, it's about identity. The media gave a generalized identity in that of a racial group, instead of what it really was.
Old 2013-04-17, 20:47   Link #27610
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
It's outrageous to bring it up, and then use examples that are so drastically different. The Christian Identity Movement is hardly a large-scale organization with political ties and international underground presence. It's not a massive "terrorist organization." It's very important that people understand that massive difference.
Why would they need to be underground when they can dictate national policies in this country?
Old 2013-04-17, 20:48   Link #27611
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Why would they need to be underground when they can dictate national policies in this country?
I'm not talking about the Christians, I'm referring to the AlQ and what have you, since that's what he was mentioning. I was illustrating the far reach that that organization had. I think for many people it's easy to overlook the true scale.
Old 2013-04-17, 21:00   Link #27612
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Another thing that bothers me about this whole mess is how the media's sciolism of taking attention only to the bomb in Boston instead also recognizing the other horrific events in the Middle East because of the U.S.A . So much for the value of human's worth no matter what.
I'm still at a loss as to how people can be surprised at this. What else did you expect? people in the US (or any country) is going to care more about what happens in their country than somewhere else. And what the media reports is a reflection of what people want to see.

Sure, it's nice to say that every human life is worth the same, but ask yourself this, are you going to care as much for the death of someone on the other side of the planet whom you don't know, have never met or talked to, as opposed to, say, the death of your parents, siblings, or children? or even just a friend?

Yea, didn't think so. Try as we might, humans just aren't wired that way.

Last edited by kyp275; 2013-04-17 at 21:16.
Old 2013-04-17, 21:18   Link #27613
willx
Nyaaan~~

So here in Toronto I just got ushered out of a subway station because of an anonymous tip to police that there was a large box in the station like those in Boston.

I'm 99% sure it's just a hoax and is completely ridiculous.. maybe that's my conceit as a Canadian and nothing ever happens here? I did my good deed, tapping an older woman on the shoulder and informing her of what was happening, since she had her headphones on and missed the announcements..
Old 2013-04-17, 21:21   Link #27614
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
So here in Toronto I just got ushered out of a subway station because of an anonymous tip to police that there was a large box in the station like those in Boston.

I'm 99% sure it's just a hoax and is completely ridiculous.. maybe that's my conceit as a Canadian and nothing ever happens here? I did my good deed, tapping an older woman on the shoulder and informing her of what was happening, since she had her headphones on and missed the announcements..
everyone loves Canadians for some reason :3
Old 2013-04-17, 21:32   Link #27615
TheDoctor
Timelord Victorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I'm still at a loss as to how people can be surprised at this. What else did you expect? people in the US (or any country) is going to care more about what happens in their country than somewhere else. And what the media reports is a reflection of what people want to see.

Sure, it's nice to say that every human life is worth the same, but ask yourself this, are you going to care as much for the death of someone on the other side of the planet whom you don't know, have never met or talked to, as opposed to, say, the death of your parents, siblings, or children? or even just a friend?

Yea, didn't think so.
I’m so enchanted by you, i love you, let me tell you a story: Don't question my compassion in humanity without knowing if I have lost people in death (which I have by the cause of another human.) The media is only good delivering this kind of information but when it they're taking charge on WHO/WHY is when they're uncultured swine. I, for started, don't depend on the media and actually research my shit. Handle it gracefully. We don't have to be low budget about it just because the media does not cover it.

And, I don't know if you guys saw this from 4chan.
Old 2013-04-17, 21:32   Link #27616
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Earlier this morning, one subway station in Montreal was evacuated because of a suspicious package. They took around 3 hours to make sure everything was safe again.

Of course that package was nothing, but this tells me how some people using this kind of tactics either to get some attention or because they think it's fun deserve plenty of slaps behind their heads. Stupidity at its best.
Old 2013-04-17, 21:32   Link #27617
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
The white privilege thing isn't all THAT outrageous of an argument to bring up in this context. At least when it comes up domestically. After it was revealed that the Oklahoma city bombing was the work of a white supremacist member of the Christian identity movement, the average white Christian church goer didn't have to worry about being victimized for their alleged connection with terrorism.

Reread the Salon quote. It was phrased in such a way as to suggest that the perpetrator, should he not be white, would be destined to touch off targeted bombings on the country of his ethnic origin, by the US as a nation. My contention is that tying such a ludicrous statement into the concept of 'white privilege' makes no sense. I fully agree and am sadly aware of the reality you pointed out, but they're two different things entirely.

Quote:
I honestly don't support the war in the Middle East. The United State is not fighting what's right for anymore ( were they at some point? ).
Neither do I and I do believe the 9/11 attacks were the result of blowback from US meddling in Middle Eastern affairs for the past 60 years. That isn't what we were discussing, though. The 9/11 attacks were engineered by Bin Laden, whose organization served as the de facto government of Afghanistan. That's why war was declared after 9/11. It was an organized effort by a foreign group. A lone operative, regardless of race, would not be the start of a war with his home country.

It also seems to indirectly imply that the US is only interested in targeting non-white nations in warfare, when that's obviously a hilariously false way of thinking, historically.

Don't misconstrue what I'm saying as support of US foreign policy. They've done plenty of wrong and like I said above, I feel 9/11 was a situation of blowback. Nonetheless, that Salon quote was damn stupid.

Quote:
In addition, if the bomber is a white person ( could be more than one) and they defend the attacker that's totally racist and uncalled for I don't even know why I'm living in this shitty government.
Where do you get this incredibly bizarre line of thinking from? You believe that if the bomber is white, the media will defend him??? Did you watch any media coverage on any of those white mass shooters, like Lanza from Newtown, or Holmes from Aurora? There sure wasn't any sympathy, more like rage and condemnation.

Quote:
We discussed this in the previous page. I think that is undeniably true, but to use a tragedy that people are showing grief for to launch into this complaint is a little ridiculous.
Old 2013-04-17, 21:36   Link #27618
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
I don't know about other Canadians .. but I'm awesome, so there's that.

Also, after I helped that older lady, a rather attractive brunette wearing a plenty revealing low-cut top smiled at me quite meaningfully and gushed: "Well, that was very kind of you .. how nice.."

I simply smiled a bit gave a head tilt and walked away -- I am already engaged after all.. (Being dressed in one of my nicer suits and having gotten my hair freshly cut probably helped )
Old 2013-04-17, 21:39   Link #27619
TheDoctor
Timelord Victorious

Quote:

"Being a Canadian is confusing because you sound like an American, write like a Brit and throw in just enough French words to freak everyone out."
Old 2013-04-17, 21:43   Link #27620
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Also, after I helped that older lady, a rather attractive brunette wearing a plenty revealing low-cut top smiled at me quite meaningfully and gushed: "Well, that was very kind of you .. how nice.."
It would seem I need to move to Canada, where kindness is rewarded with the ladies!
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international