AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-09, 04:45   Link #161
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
It'll be stand alone. There's very little relevance, aside from the fact that it focuses on Nagato.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-10-09, 05:01   Link #162
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

I wonder if they'll give out the theme song to Minorin or if they'll bring the whole trio to sing again. Assuming theme songs in Haruhi have never been bad (character songs... not always so) we might quite get something on par with Yuki Muon Madobe nite.
Old 2009-10-09, 05:08   Link #163
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animexcel View Post
Pokemon is still showing a theatrical movie every summer. :P
Well, I didn't know those movies played in cinemas too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
... Speaking of Inital D, I wonder if we're gonna see some Inital D-like cgi when they get around to animating
Spoiler:
YES, they should. They did in in Lucky Star, they'll do it again. Better yet, they HAVE to do it again, because they are KyoAni.
Old 2009-10-09, 05:30   Link #164
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm actually finding myself pleasantly stunned by this news. I guess that my view of Kadokawa/KyoAni had plummeted to such depths that getting Disappearance at all, even in a movie airing later than what I would have thought (if they were to go the movie route), is a very pleasant piece of news to me.
Personally I want to see the results before I'll get excited. It's time to live up to the hype as opposed to just coasting on it and using it as a lead-in.

Quote:
It's like watching my favorite hockey team pull off a startling victory over the top team in the league, and after starting the year 0-8.

Of course, whether or not my favorite hockey team could parlay that into a comeback season remains to be scene... likewise, it remains to be scene if KyoAni/Kadokawa can parlay this into an enjoyable, and a healthy, and revived, and renowned, and surging in popularity Haruhi franchise.

But hey, given that I can be a hopeful Montreal Canadiens fan after the disappointment they've put me through, I can certainly do the same for Haruhi.
Forgive me if I say that I never want to see the whole Haruhism thing rise to the deafening roar that it was in 2006. That was just too stifling for my blood and I would almost want to be a part of that less than I would like to see a subpar Haruhi movie. I think there should be a healthy middle ground.

Also I'm a Canadiens fan too and I'll say a least they aren't as embarassing as the Leafs. I mean they are number two so far as opposed to the Leafs who have yet to actually win a game as far as I know.

Quote:
Truthfully, Disappearance probably doesn't lend itself to a lot of pandering to the core moe otaku fanbase. The story doesn't lend itself to simply "putting these characters on parade", as you would say (and rightly so, as it pertains to E8, I'll admit).
Spoiler for Disappearance plot stuff:

Quote:
Yeah, they have to deliver something good here with this movie.

As long as KyoAni genuinely tries its best, and just does a basic straight-up adaptation with this movie... it'll be very good, if not great or terrific.

The fact that they've dropped the numerology gimmickry by airing this in Spring (instead of in Winter) is a good omen to me, in that regard. It could be a sign that they're taking this project very seriously, and it's going to be about high quality content and not about sacrificing such content on the alter of metacommentary.
Yes again, something just good that allows the franchise to live up to a fraction of the hype and praise it's gotten over the years. Just....something good....without gimmicks and marketing to carry the day. Something equal to the quality of the last episode of this season will even satisy me. I'm not asking for much hear.

Quote:
I pretty much agree. Where I disagree a bit with you, is that I think that this is a good opening teaser trailer for this movie. I hope for a more in-depth "bells and whistles" trailer in two or three months time, but this opening teaser trailer is a good way to wet the appetite of fans for more. And, if nothing else, it shows good artwork quality.
It's a zoom-in of a still image of a character that unfortunately reminds me of how an actual episode of K-On started. Not what I would call appetite wetting.

Quote:
AMEN.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree.

Haruhi, I think, can transcend the otaku subculture... but, obviously, you don't do that by pandering to the otaku subculture itself. You do a straight-up, back to basics approach that just tries to produce something of overall high quality that even your most casual anime fan could look at and say "Hey, that looks cool. I think I'll check it out!"
Doubtful, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but it's something I'd rather just stay comfortable where it is as a subculture. Really I'm perfectly comfortable around the whole Haruhi franchise/fandom right now as opposed to in 2006 where again as I said it was near deafening and if you dared criticize the franchise or it's producers even in the slightest the response wasn't a pretty sight. It wasn't too much fun at all to try and discuss it really. I like the breathing room that exists right now where we can dare suggest that there is room for improvement with this franchise. In that regard let's just stick with the whole back to the basics idea for now.

Quote:
Agreed.

Overall, I'm really glad about this news. I'd prefer an announcement of a true Season 2 next year (one including Disappearance), but this is still good news. The fact that it's a movie pretty much guarantees high production values. At the absolute least, it should have awesome artwork and animation, at least up to the par of the final two episodes of Sighs.
I'd honestly rather they take it slow in order to ensure that the quality get's back up there. Granted they took 3 years to come out with Endless Eight so I'm not sure that's a factor, but I still think taking it slow is the way to go.

Also in life their are no guarantees, only degrees of chance in increasing probablity. It doesn't pay to assume anything about the Haruhi movie until we see a real trailer as opposed to a still image, and even then it could probably wait till the movie itself since Kyoani/Kadokawa have been known to have deliberately misleading and flat out stupid advertising.

So yeah basically "let's take it slow" is the core theme of my approach and the approach I hope to see for the movie. There should honestly be no rush as the second season just ended.
Old 2009-10-09, 06:25   Link #165
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Granted they took 3 years to come out with Endless Eight
They took 3 years to come out with all Endless Eight, Sighs AND the movie.
The movie can't simply be done in half a year.
Old 2009-10-09, 07:03   Link #166
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
This is GREAT news, after all that's been thrown our way really. The thing is, there's a very VERY real fear that the studio will still somehow screw it up in the minds of the viewers (the more casual of which were pretty much mostly killed off by Endless Eight...).

Sorry... My classes have been killing my objectivity a little, as I'm being drilled into looking at EVERYTHING now with a critical eye, not only literature. And there's so much that can go wrong with a movie, given WHO is bankrolling it.

It's going to be a long wait for the DVDs, that's for sure.
Old 2009-10-09, 07:21   Link #167
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Oh who am I kidding? The past two weeks wailing on New Criticism (and how... LIMITING it is) has gotten to me. I'm really trying hard to be cautiously optimistic here, but it's really hard. I'm not apostate, but COME ON. My faith was thrown in the wringer for more than half of a season, with the last few episodes only barely making it a wash instead of a total loss.

It's hard, darn it, to be really happy about this, since I keep on thinking, again and AGAIN AND AGAIN, that Kadokawa Shoten is still bankrolling the franchise. It's like having the Mafia running the Vatican!
Old 2009-10-09, 08:31   Link #168
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
They took 3 years to come out with all Endless Eight, Sighs AND the movie.
The movie can't simply be done in half a year.

Remember that Haruhi is the ULTRA director It can be done xD
Old 2009-10-09, 08:37   Link #169
OkamiNoKaze

I'm looking forward to it, granted a rather long wait but that's fine, in the meantime there'll probably be one or two more english novels, and hopefully the region 1 release of "season 2"
Old 2009-10-09, 08:39   Link #170
Jintor

My soul returns.
Old 2009-10-09, 09:55   Link #171
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

After all this time... I still don't understand why anyone would be pissed about not getting Disappearance this year...

1) If you read the book, you know what happens...
2) If you haven't read the book, you don't know shit about what you're missing...

If you really can't wait... just read the damn book again... I bet the movie will be good, but the book is still probably gonna be the better of the two.
Old 2009-10-09, 10:00   Link #172
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
It'll be stand alone. There's very little relevance, aside from the fact that it focuses on Nagato.
And how about Intrigues Prologue? It is more a epilogue for Disappearance, dispite the name. I hope they don't include it. Then 100-120 minutes would be too few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
My soul returns.
Standard reaction for a Haruhi fan, I guess.
Old 2009-10-09, 10:12   Link #173
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
And how about Intrigues Prologue? It is more a epilogue for Disappearance, dispite the name. I hope they don't include it. Then 100-120 minutes would be too few.
They might incorporate it into the movie itself, leaving out (or changing) the fact that it happened much later than December.
Old 2009-10-09, 10:16   Link #174
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
They might incorporate it into the movie itself, leaving out (or changing) the fact that it happened much later than December.
As I said, I hope not. This prologue is quite big, bigger then most chapter from Disappearance. And the book work somewhat better without it.
Old 2009-10-09, 11:34   Link #175
Peanutbutter

I hope somehow or somewhere, a.f.k can get their hands on it.
Old 2009-10-09, 12:06   Link #176
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
oh lawd yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
I hope somehow or somewhere, a.f.k can get their hands on it.
oh lawd yesss

(but seriously, someone will CamRip it, i wouldn't be surprised if a.f.k. did that)
Old 2009-10-09, 12:22   Link #177
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post

Quote:
Yes again, something just good that allows the franchise to live up to a fraction of the hype and praise it's gotten over the years. Just....something good....without gimmicks and marketing to carry the day. Something equal to the quality of the last episode of this season will even satisfy me. I'm not asking for much hear.
Agreed. If it matches the quality of the last episode of this season, I'll be satisfied as well.

Quote:
Doubtful, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but it's something I'd rather just stay comfortable where it is as a subculture. Really I'm perfectly comfortable around the whole Haruhi franchise/fandom right now as opposed to in 2006 where again as I said it was near deafening and if you dared criticize the franchise or it's producers even in the slightest the response wasn't a pretty sight. It wasn't too much fun at all to try and discuss it really. I like the breathing room that exists right now where we can dare suggest that there is room for improvement with this franchise. In that regard let's just stick with the whole back to the basics idea for now.
I see your point here. That being said, as Gundam Seed Destiny shows, you can be part of a massively popular franchise and still be subpar and get valid criticism for it.

The problem with KyoAni was that it was widely viewed as downright infallible until this year. I think that is over now. Heck, even this thread isn't exactly hype central, reflecting that fact.

The general mood is now cautiously optimistic, which is probably a good thing.

Quote:
I'd honestly rather they take it slow in order to ensure that the quality get's back up there. Granted they took 3 years to come out with Endless Eight so I'm not sure that's a factor, but I still think taking it slow is the way to go.
Well, they probably shouldn't burn through the material. Maybe a movie this coming Spring, and a two year layoff after that until more Haruhi is released?

Quote:

Also in life their are no guarantees, only degrees of chance in increasing probability. It doesn't pay to assume anything about the Haruhi movie until we see a real trailer as opposed to a still image, and even then it could probably wait till the movie itself since Kyoani/Kadokawa have been known to have deliberately misleading and flat out stupid advertising.
You're right. The movie could be "delayed", or anything really. It's best to take a wait and see approach. The idea of a high production Disappearance movie is very appealing to me, though. So, I guess that hope is trumping cynicism for me at the moment.

At some level, I think that even KyoAni realizes that they can't test their fan's patience much longer. If the Disappearance movie is delayed by a year or more, that'll be a critical blow, I think.
Old 2009-10-09, 13:48   Link #178
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

In the meantime, on official Haruhi website

Spoiler for New splash image:

The teaser is also up.

Kyoto Animation's Haruhi page is updated with a promo page as well.
And it wasn't long before some goods with Disapp. artwork appeared (artwork itself is two years old though).
Old 2009-10-09, 14:01   Link #179
haruhi.ism
haruhi and yuki <3

Send a message via AIM to haruhi.ism
yeah, the artwork, well all the artwork from the various disappearance teases in like newtype and stuff, is really amazing, just like first season of haruhi.
i think the movie has been animated and done and locked in some secret vault somewhere for a WHILE. and i think its gonna look and feel like the first season of haruhi. all i can say is...please no K-ON moeblobs...
Old 2009-10-09, 17:19   Link #180
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
[spoiler=Disappearance plot stuff]

I see your point here. That being said, as Gundam Seed Destiny shows, you can be part of a massively popular franchise and still be subpar and get valid criticism for it.

The problem with KyoAni was that it was widely viewed as downright infallible until this year. I think that is over now. Heck, even this thread isn't exactly hype central, reflecting that fact.
I don't know about that. Sure the individual shows have strong fanbases, but I'm not really sure if they were that widely proclaimed as godlike. I mean Haruhi did get a lot of praise, opinion on other shows, such as Lucky Star, tend to be more mixed from what I saw.
Quote:
The general mood is now cautiously optimistic, which is probably a good thing.
Yep, no need to go off into the extremes. Season 2 to me wasn't the end of the world even if I didn't like some of it. But then again, I just watch it as it comes; I don't care about hype. Otherwise it's too easy to not see something for what it is.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen