AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-04-17, 10:32   Link #41
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I've always presumed that Macross never payed much attention to elementary genetics.

My only explanation is that Zentraedi have 2 y chromosomes, and that Meltlandi eggs only accept x chromosomal Sperm. Which would make Zentraedi and Meltlandi incompatible, This effect would probably dissapear by the second generation, particularly with Zentraedi, Zentraedi offspring would have 1 x and y, making them normal humans gender wise. Meltrandi might have a defective gene or something, so their daughters would have a half chance of carrying it.

So it would be possible for Ranka to have a Zentraedi grandfather.

That said, all this does fly in the face of conventional biology (could someone survive with 2 y chromosomes?) though this is a series with "song energy" so perhaps it's not THAT out there
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 12:22   Link #42
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
In humans or other Earth’s higher life forms, YX chromosome enables male form assembling, while XX chromosome enables female form assembling.

DNA is just a four letter alphabet computer like program. The cell hardware executes molecular resequence program(aka genes, DNA) for molecular level disassembling/assembling.

Refer to
http://www.sigevo.org/foga-2007/talk...ormatics-1.pdf

"It is, therefore, a great irony that molecular analysis has led biology
into the informatic realm of complexity, redundancy, signaling,
networks, and decision making"

"A basic lesson from five decades of molecular biology is that
cells are immensely sophisticated cognitive and computational
entities."

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
I've always presumed that Macross never payed much attention to elementary genetics.

My only explanation is that Zentraedi have 2 y chromosomes, and that Meltlandi eggs only accept x chromosomal Sperm. Which would make Zentraedi and Meltlandi incompatible, This effect would probably dissapear by the second generation, particularly with Zentraedi, Zentraedi offspring would have 1 x and y, making them normal humans gender wise. Meltrandi might have a defective gene or something, so their daughters would have a half chance of carrying it.

So it would be possible for Ranka to have a Zentraedi grandfather.

That said, all this does fly in the face of conventional biology (could someone survive with 2 y chromosomes?) though this is a series with "song energy" so perhaps it's not THAT out there
Thank you encia & donquigleone for those enlightening information.

I do not pretend to have study or have any specific knowledge about genetic biology science.

I guess you learn something new everyday.
Old 2008-04-17, 19:32   Link #43
Sun-Ku

Why was there a "rundown" (you know the damaged buildings where basara lived) district in Macross 7? Former Attack?
Old 2008-04-17, 21:19   Link #44
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
are the 13 episodies confimed ?
Cadorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 22:02   Link #45
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadorna View Post
No. And we do not know how many will there be.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 22:11   Link #46
Cadorna

thanks, that good news
Old 2008-04-18, 00:21   Link #47
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadorna View Post
Macross Frontier is set to be released in 9 volumes. The first volume is a 32-minute version of episode 1, and there should be three episodes for each of the rest of the volumes, giving us 25 episodes in total. It's possible that it'll be even longer than that, but I wouldn't count on that.
Old 2008-04-18, 05:18   Link #48
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
Thank you encia & donquigleone for those enlightening information.

I do not pretend to have study or have any specific knowledge about genetic biology science.

I guess you learn something new everyday.
I'd love to know what the "official" explanation is, while the Zentraedi explanation might work, the Meltlandi one is on thin ice. I don't think it's really possible for sperm to be selected by an egg depending on whether it has a y chromosome...
Old 2008-04-18, 07:20   Link #49
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun-Ku View Post
Why was there a "rundown" (you know the damaged buildings where basara lived) district in Macross 7? Former Attack?
The setting of Macross 7 takes place in 2045, which is just shy of 8yrs since it's maiden voyage from Earth.

Many things could of taken place, all we know is that the emigration before the Varuta War was relatively quiet.

As in any new city, you can build new buildings, new areas, have a city ready for colonist. But when the initial excitement wears off the organic structure of a city inhabitants will gradually flow towards the more active sectors, thus creating abandon settlements as property prices sway depending on more successful areas.

While my memory is a bit rusty, i do remember them saying the area that Basara lived in, was the "abandon" sector.

While personally i don't think they would go with the pre-fabricated route, it's not impossible in the Macross Universe.

I think they would leave some areas clear for future expansion, thus they build when it's need rather then create an entire town from scratch.

If that ids the case then once again you just have to look around your own city, in mind we have some new office buildings, main a structures already erected, concrete slabs laid in. But the problem is that it has been like that for the past 5yrs. Apparently funding for it was dropped.

Other places properties have been abandon even though they have been built less then 10yrs.

The dynamics of economy determines the ebbs & flow of a city expansion.

I'll expect the same to happen in a macross colony city, after all it's sheer size is about 3 - 4 times the size of the City-state of Singapore. (not counting the countless "Island" Class ships trailing behind that act as the "countryside" for agriculture, natural reservation parks for plants, animal and the odd lot who likes a village lifestyle)
Old 2008-04-18, 10:39   Link #50
Deckker

Quickly Singapore is still bigger than the Macross colony ship. Assuming its still the same from M7

The Colony ship is 5km long

http://www.steelfalcon.com/Macross/macross7.shtml

While Singapore is much much larger, at least 40km.

If you watch the opening, this particular colony ship is being launched from earth with its islands attached. So I expect it to hold the rest of the supposed 10 million people.
Deckker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 16:12   Link #51
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckker View Post
Quickly Singapore is still bigger than the Macross colony ship. Assuming its still the same from M7

The Colony ship is 5km long

http://www.steelfalcon.com/Macross/macross7.shtml

While Singapore is much much larger, at least 40km.

If you watch the opening, this particular colony ship is being launched from earth with its islands attached. So I expect it to hold the rest of the supposed 10 million people.

....yeeeaaah.....i knew that....just...erm...testing you.

*kick self for not checking*

Why did i think of singapore?...

oh yeah.

the new macross frontier city colony (Island One) holds at leased 5 million colonist, and is at leased 3 times bigger then City 7 (15km) which is the equivalent to the current population of Singapore.

so that's almost half the land mass. but on the other hand the macross city ship has more area. Big improvement i say.
Old 2008-04-18, 20:54   Link #52
Deckker

5 million in a city, well if everyone lived in bunk beds and small rooms much like how current people in Japan live. Then I believe that 5 million becomes a reasonable number. Though I admit thats too tight for my liking. However to ever get anywhere close to that population limit would require Tall buildings, and I means lots of it. The Esp opening attack showed that the majority of the environment was smallish buildings.

Then again this is fiction.....
Deckker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 07:26   Link #53
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Don't forget that the city isn't neccesarily built purely horizontally, people could live "undeground". I'm pretty sure that many of the military installations are like this, so there'd be more room than meets the eye
Old 2008-04-20, 12:04   Link #54
Cadorna

eyah and they have added little ship, and we dind't count the others ship(3 star Fabric, cementery, SunFlower, etc)
Old 2008-04-20, 16:12   Link #55
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

total population of Macross Frontier is officially stated at 10 million, half of them are on Island One, the City Ship.

Like i mentioned in my previous post, Island one might be half the size of Singapore at a 15km diameter, but it has more AREA.

I suspect that is you wish to calculate the habitable area space of Island one, you have to count the number of floors on the ship.

Remember the height of these floor are big enough to allow a valkyrie in batteloid mode, or a full size zentradi to stand, so maximum ceiling height is theorized at around 1500+ metres.

so you could say Island one has a habitable area of excess of 60Km which is more then enough for 5million colonist, it also allows for population growth.

also if you watch Episode three, you notice that all dead colonist or bio-waste for that matter are sent back into a biomass reactor for recycling either for food or fuel.

They certainly have enough space to allocate land to military use for memorial headstones to military dead.
Old 2008-04-20, 20:48   Link #56
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

Alright guys, I hear a lot about Macross Frontier, but I am hesitant to watch. I look at the timeline for this series and there a lot of Macross series' before this. Can anyone tell me (based on the eps released so far) if I would be completely lost, or is it watchable standalone? Does Macross Frontier use references to previous series a lot? Or is everything self evident/explanatory?

Thanks.
Old 2008-04-20, 20:53   Link #57
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Well this my first Macross and i'm not confused one bit
Old 2008-04-20, 20:57   Link #58
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Realitically i dont think most humans can handle that type of g-force during those intese dogfights. But then again they are crusing in outer space with some type of device that simulates gravity and some type of shielding to block off cosmic radiation.
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 21:58   Link #59
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synria_ View Post
Alright guys, I hear a lot about Macross Frontier, but I am hesitant to watch. I look at the timeline for this series and there a lot of Macross series' before this. Can anyone tell me (based on the eps released so far) if I would be completely lost, or is it watchable standalone? Does Macross Frontier use references to previous series a lot? Or is everything self evident/explanatory?
From the FAQ:
Quote:
I've never watched a Macross show before, I need to have see them before watching Macross Frontier?
Probably not. So far, most Macross shows have been relatively separate from every other work so that no prior knowledge has been necessary to get into the story. There may be story elements that aren't fully explained initially, but they will probably be covered in enough detail in the show itself. As for the rest, that's pretty much the reason for this FAQ.
As it happens, there are quite a few nods to the previous Macross shows, but all the relevant details are described in Macross Frontier itself. Catching those nods leads to a richer viewing experience, but it's not a big deal if you don't. Also note that most of the viewers of Frontier probably haven't watch all of those previous works either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbduece View Post
Realitically i dont think most humans can handle that type of g-force during those intese dogfights. But then again they are crusing in outer space with some type of device that simulates gravity and some type of shielding to block off cosmic radiation.
Not only is artificial gravity technology implemented in UN Spacy ships, but it's also in effect in Valkyries as well (probably in the form of inertial dampeners). From the Macross Mecha Manual: the listed specs for the YF-19 are g limit: +31.0/- 18.5g. In modern fighter craft, these limits are generally set to +9.5/-3.5g because that's the maximum a human being can handle without suffering from blackout and redout. The only way to go beyond this would be to either artificially reduce the force exerted on the pilot or to reengineer human beings.
Old 2008-04-21, 00:47   Link #60
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Ah inertial dampeners, every Scifi shows staple for explaining anything.

Note that they never explain how they work

Tags
q&a