AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

Old 2010-10-04, 09:52   Link #261
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
Unrelated to that, I do find myself wondering how many moe-otaku are going to be put off by Kirino because she hits too close to home.
Close to home in what way? Because she acts a bit spoiled and started off having a cold, distant relation from her brother? I personally think any of the "close to home" factor gets pretty much cancelled by the revelation of her secret...

(Edit: If you mean because she's a fan of the same sort of stuff that many of the fans enjoy... I think the fact that she's a "cute imouto" also cancels that out and would only endear her to her audience. I think many in the audience would love to have a family member who shared (or at least didn't despise/resent/misunderstand) their interests, and not even in any sort of icky way.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
Kirino plays R-18 eroge about cute girls
- She hides her true self in a closet
- She thinks her feelings are weird
- She has a job as model and probably meets other models there
- Kirino feels disgusted when Kyou implies she might feel for him that way
- Manami seems to admire Kirino

So there is only one possible explanation: Kirino must be hard gay!
You know, I'm rather certain they won't go this way due to the controversy that would ensue, but that actually almost makes more sense to me as far as explanations go.
Old 2010-10-04, 09:53   Link #262
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Loli tsundere catgirl otaku!

Unrelated to that, I do find myself wondering how many moe-otaku are going to be put off by Kirino because she hits too close to home.
Konata was apparently no problem. If anything, it will make it better for some people.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 09:55   Link #263
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Loli tsundere catgirl otaku!

Incidentally, despite Kirino being all adorable, I find Taketatsu almost being typecasted as the loli moe etc. girl, much like Kugimiya gets for Tsunderes.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 09:56   Link #264
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Have high hope for this one. Haven't watched anime for a while now so was afraid the slow pace would hurt from my perspective, but the first ep had a nice pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
So there is only one possible explanation: Kirino must be hard gay!

In a better place your theory would be true. The question is Ore no Imouto a better place? Though I'm fine either way.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 09:58   Link #265
CWW
Lurker

Hilarious show is hilarious.

The deadpan reaction of Kyousuke in particular. I know I wouldn't be able to hold my derisive laughter. Not only them, the supporting characters are more than just distractions. The mom and dad combo was unintentionally funny. That must have hurt Kirino's inner otaku and snowballed her "life counseling" reaction.

I can't see any other show beating this in the comedy department this season and this is coming from someone who has never played an eroge. The premise is just ridiculous, while simultaneously grounded in reality. Her eroge obsession is borderline zealous though, which I guess is part of her charm.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 10:02   Link #266
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Close to home in what way? Because she acts a bit spoiled and started off having a cold, distant relation from her brother? I personally think any of the "close to home" factor gets pretty much cancelled by the revelation of her secret...
Actually, because of her behavior and feeling of a need for secrecy when paired with her moe-otaku hobby. It's not that I think this should be off-putting to anyone or that it's a bad way to go. I am quite liking this whole set-up so far. It's more that I always bank on moe-otaku at large interpreting things poorly.
Old 2010-10-04, 10:03   Link #267
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Actually, per the credits, it's "Imouto Please!" sung by Ayana Taketatsu (Kirino's VA).
Well, it depends on what the original question defines as "end of the episode". The song played during the ending credits is "Irony" sung by ClariS and composed by kz (of vocaloid fame), which is listed as "theme song", but this episode has no actual OP. The song listed as "ending theme" is "Imouto Please" sung by Taketatsu Ayana, but this is most likely only played during the 10 second eyecatch at the very, very end.
Old 2010-10-04, 10:10   Link #268
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I find ANN getting it rather amusing.
Old 2010-10-04, 10:16   Link #269
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Well.......

Absolutely.

P.S The "Alice-Plus" game logo is actually a reference to Aquaplus? The studio that made White Album and White Album 2?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 10:28   Link #270
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Note to self: check the thread before making freebies, especially when you're a slowpoke.

That was a very solid start. A little sister with a little sister fetish, that's genius! (of course, she's also most likely a closet brocon). I loved the way they animated Kirino, she seemed so "alive". I've heard bad things about her but so far she's a likeable character despite acting a bit harsh sometimes.
Old 2010-10-04, 10:37   Link #271
BlueDo

Can you really keep the fact that you're a model from your family?
Sure, no one else reads those kinds of magazines, but still.

You have someone that does well academically and in sports, while juggling with a career and a consuming hobby. ~_~
BlueDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 10:38   Link #272
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Actually, because of her behavior and feeling of a need for secrecy when paired with her moe-otaku hobby. It's not that I think this should be off-putting to anyone or that it's a bad way to go. I am quite liking this whole set-up so far. It's more that I always bank on moe-otaku at large interpreting things poorly.
Hmm... maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure that I see what's there to misinterpret. While there are some who are outgoing and flamboyant about their hobbies, I tend to think that the vast majority keep it to themselves. (Because, if you think about it, like Kirino, most of these people have jobs in order to pay for all the expensive merchandise they collect.) I don't think people would be offended at the insinuation that someone would keep the hobby a secret (especially from your parents), even if some of them may feel it unnecessary. Besides, the franchise is already quite popular among the core audience even before the arrival of this anime, so I imagine it won't be an issue for most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Well, it depends on what the original question defines as "end of the episode". The song played during the ending credits is "Irony" sung by ClariS and composed by kz (of vocaloid fame), which is listed as "theme song", but this episode has no actual OP. The song listed as "ending theme" is "Imouto Please" sung by Taketatsu Ayana, but this is most likely only played during the 10 second eyecatch at the very, very end.
Ahh... I see. That's a bit weird for them to list that in the credits, though, since those clips aren't usually even included on the BDs/DVDs.
Old 2010-10-04, 10:41   Link #273
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

love the manga and love the anime even more right now

though i might as well say this the art work seems a bit to laxed or it does not feel right

hmm maybe it is just me
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 10:46   Link #274
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

re: OreImo ep1

been looking forward to this! first ep was as good as expected. love the choice of clannad-man as main char, and azusa as kirino.
Seravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 10:52   Link #275
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Hmm... maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure that I see what's there to misinterpret. While there are some who are outgoing and flamboyant about their hobbies, I tend to think that the vast majority keep it to themselves. (Because, if you think about it, like Kirino, most of these people have jobs in order to pay for all the expensive merchandise they collect.) I don't think people would be offended at the insinuation that someone would keep the hobby a secret (especially from your parents), even if some of them may feel it unnecessary. Besides, the franchise is already quite popular among the core audience even before the arrival of this anime, so I imagine it won't be an issue for most.
If it's already succeeding, then what I was saying is moot anyway, but I was mainly driving at the tendency of a large portion of anime viewers--and really, TV viewers in general--to judge not by the craftsmanship of the characters and story, but by how much they themselves would like this or that in their lives. I was wondering if Kirino's brusque and forceful demeanor, despite being an interesting point of her character concept, would strike moe otaku as a negative characterization of themselves. The secrecy of her hobby was actually something I was expecting to be resonant.

But I'm probably just having a knee-jerk reaction here. I've seen good stories get a roasting because people refused to judge characters as characters, and instead judge them as people.
Old 2010-10-04, 11:07   Link #276
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I just rewatched the episode and only now did I realize the insane amount of actual real life eroge and video games she has lol.

I still wonder as to why Kirino still needs her brother's help in playing and getting "perspective" on the eroge she plays. Does she need a guy's perspective or something? I'm assuming she's still trying to get over her embarrassment of being a girl who plays eroge and galge, but this personally doesn't surprise me much like her brother, mostly because I know a lot of girls who are into anime and at least one into galge and eroge.

Also props to AIC. Very nice animation for a show that you wouldn't think requires colorful designs and animation to present itself.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2010-10-04 at 11:28.
Old 2010-10-04, 11:19   Link #277
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I was wondering if Kirino's brusque and forceful demeanor, despite being an interesting point of her character concept, would strike moe otaku as a negative characterization of themselves.
Ah... it actually never occurred to me that someone might see that aspect of her personality that way. I guess it is a reflection of her personality type -- she's extremely image-conscious and rarely shows her "true self" to anyone -- but I'm not sure how much this has to do with her hobby. I tend to think her personality probably predates her hobby, and has more to do with Kirino herself. I think anyone who has put up heavy walls around themselves (to make everyone think they're perfect) will come across as either awkward or forceful (or some combination of the two) as they carefully let people into their inner sanctum. I think the secretive nature of this hobby can cause people to build these sort of walls and develop these sorts of attitudes... but I'm not sure that people will see this sort of characterization as an attack on them. If anything, Kirino's "cute sister" nature shields her a bit, as people can just excuse her behaviour as her being "tsundere" towards her brother.

It is an interesting point, though... I guess we'll see how the show develops things.
Old 2010-10-04, 11:27   Link #278
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
I tend to think her personality probably predates her hobby, and has more to do with Kirino herself.
That's certainly a possibility, and it'd be an interesting one. Given my feeling that the story is more about the family situation--which is less than great--and how Kirino and Kyousuke find some sort of fulfillment in spite of it, that her self-confinement is caused by her family life seems like a good route to explore. Further, I also put forth the idea that her Imouto-con hobby is not actually a misplaced brother complex, but a cry for any sort of affection as an Imouto herself. It's less about specifically wanting a brother-sister romance and more that such eroge are the only route she has found to really see the concept of a beloved little sister played out in the consistency she'd like.

Of course, this is all just wild speculation.
Old 2010-10-04, 11:38   Link #279
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Personally I have a different take on Kirino's character in this series, that rather than a negative presentation of otaku or whatever, that I find Kirino more of a case of how otaku aren't, and shouldn't, easily be pigeonholed into a bunch if pimply introverted geeks who spend more time on their PCs and TVs memorizing airing dates than giving a damn about the rest of the world.

That is to say that with her, people who enjoy anime and related games and thus can be classified as otaku in a broader sense encompasses a bigger group of people than what the stereotype implies. More so that I agree with relentless' theory that her personality predates her hobby, again reflecting that otaku-dom isn't as much a personality-shaping and creating hobby as some might suggest, and that being an otaku doesn't automatically transform you into the stereotype. If that is indeed the case, it's really very easy for many different people to really enjoy the hobby itself and still maintain your own core personality outside the usual otaku connotations everyone else assigns. Kirino to me would show that really, anyone can love it if they gave it the chance, and not everyone falls into the stereotype the permeates in (Japanese) society.

It's much like what Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu started out as before I began to hate everything after the first half and dropped the show.

Of course the subsets of the entire industry that you enjoy can reveal things about you, and it's easy to speculate that Kirino's love for Imouto stuff might be an indication of something deeper. I'm willing to entertain the the possibility wincest because the possibility is awesome.

I was expecting Kana ~Little Sister~ in that pile but I didn't see it...
Old 2010-10-04, 11:43   Link #280
Francismeunier
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I wonder if I shouldn't be a bit scared by the fact I recognized 80% of the eroge there
And as expected, she does have Sister Princess, although for odd reason she isn't showing it as her favourite game considering her fetish
Oh shit! She has that! I saw the anime of it and it's harem sister crazy with one male lead.
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen