AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 13
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 69 46.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 48 32.21%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 20 13.42%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 4.70%
6 out of 10 : Average... 1 0.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 2 1.34%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 1 0.67%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-29, 21:51   Link #81
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

So rushed.... Soooo rushed. Good lord.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 21:59   Link #82
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
I note how people are happily eating the fish while the head stares at them.
Fish heads fish heads
Roly-poly fish heads
Fish heads fish heads
Eat them up yum

Sorry, sorry, I HAD TO.

Yes, this is probably due to the Japanese way of preparing fish. When I stayed in a traditional hotel in Hakone, they gave us fish and shrimp, (heads and eyes intact), to cook ourselves over this tiny fire built into the table. It was really cool but
"I CAN'T EAT THIS THING!! IT'S STARING AT ME!!"
I just had rice that night.... I wasn't the only one who chose so. XD

Quote:
If you truly love someone romantically, you'll frequently be happy just to be in each other's presence, and taking comfort in each other's arms.

The fact that Kirito and Asuna are comfortable just lying in each other's arms like that speaks volumes, imo. That's what a happily married couple looks like, imo.

Sure, the sex can still be there, but it's not the whole basis for the relationship. So there's simply no need to read sex into a scene where the two are just relaxing on a bed together. It's a beautifully romantic scene because it shows the physical comfort they have with each other even when there's no sex.
Yup. This is the exact point I wanted to make. People, please don't assume every scene with KiriAsu cuddling closely together means "they just did it". It's rather....sophomoric, guys.
If the animators drew one of them naked each time, that's one thing....but Asuna has her nightgown on in all the bed scenes after episode 10. So no, I don't think they're doing it every night.

Quote:
Loved how Kirito was all bored and not giving a fuck at Nishida's fishing (hardcore vs casual gamer lol) until the Sword Skill (Fishing Pole Skill? ) activated and flipped his gamer switch.
Kirito's bored face for the win. XD

Spoiler for Lol dat disgusted face!:

Last edited by Chiibi; 2012-09-29 at 22:19.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 22:35   Link #83
zRichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So there's simply no need to read sex into a scene where the two are just relaxing on a bed together. It's a beautifully romantic scene because it shows the physical comfort they have with each other even when there's no sex.
Yeah, I agree. Sorry, I interpreted that you were making a point on the lack of sex being a "better" way to handle a purely romantic moment.

My idea is that if sex is irrelevant, so will be its presence. A non-issue. Like in Nisemonogatari.

Last edited by zRichard; 2012-09-29 at 22:51. Reason: gramática
zRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 22:44   Link #84
woodearth
Ramen Hunter

I have never seen so much domestic bliss in an anime.
Old 2012-09-29, 22:54   Link #85
Somnus
Eh?

After a so-so episode 12 (and I say this as someone who loves Yui to bits), this episode is nothing less than stellar.

The pacing was great, and nothing felt cut or rushed. Even more so, I was surprised that they managed to keep the fishing bit in! As usual, I loved every second of the Kirito x Asuna. Bias aside though, the scenes themselves were truly well done, and depicted the emotions the characters wanted to convery perfectly (also, kudos to the VAs here).

The boss fight, what can I say? Great stuff. I especially liked the tension before it appeared. Classic horror movie lead-in, pulled off perfectly. As an LN reader I knew what to expect, but that didn't hold a candle to how much more I actually enjoyed seeing it all in motion. So good.

Lastly, I really liked how the tone of the episode went from "happy, happy, joy, joy" to dead serious. I truly enjoyed the best of two worlds. The first half had me laughing out loud and all smiles (best lighthearted bit of SAO in my opinion, by far), whereas the second half provided the best tension/action/emotional scenes I've seen in SAO thus far.

To sum it up in a few words....I need more of this.
Old 2012-09-29, 23:20   Link #86
Dark Wing

So the old fisherman dude was one of the heads of security for the game?...nice going there gramps...
Old 2012-09-29, 23:23   Link #87
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
So the old fisherman dude was one of the heads of security for the game?...nice going there gramps...
Well, considering they're all trapped in the game still -- meaning that no one has been able to break in to free them -- I guess he did too good of a job. If only he knew then what he found out soon after, of course...
Old 2012-09-29, 23:39   Link #88
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
It's not like he knew how the game was going to be used, Kayaba pulled the wool over the eyes of everyone that was involved in the game. It's not fair to get mad at a guy that was just doing his job.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 23:45   Link #89
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
The show is of course always more interesting when it's not stuck in side story land and this was something of a mid season climax where everything that's come before culminates in a pretty emotionally charged battle to the death with a ridiculously overpowered boss. It's sort of the same chapter layout as usual, it just feels more like things are finally moving forward again that makes it a little more involving than usual. Marriage sort of changes the dynamic for our two heroes and now they're afraid of moving forward for fear of losing each other either in victory and defeat. They clearly don't want to clear the game any more at this point or even try really and we're seeing more and more people that feel the same way. The only reason they're even going to the front line anymore seems to be for the sake of the people that want to get out and seeing it through to the end.

Anyway most of the regular cast is back like Klein and his posse, but it was Heathcliff that kind of stole the show with his speeches and taking point which earns him some major gar points, but what are they going to do against a boss that's this overly strong. I guess the same thing they always do against each overpowered boss (meaning all bosses in the show really), team work and crazy sword cross ups.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 23:57   Link #90
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

This Boss; would be pretty much my worst nightmare come true for being stuck in this situation. The surprise One-hit-KO you didnt see coming. I think almost everyone who's played an online game has had this happen to you; You're fighting an enemy, usually a boss, yes he seems stronger then usual, but nothing you shouldnt be able to handle.....then WHAM. You're dead and you're left thinking

"Wtf just Hit me?!"

One-hit kills must be pretty rare, or up until this point non-existant considering Klein's reaction to it. Heathcliff, being the badass tank (still dont trust him), doing his job like a boss. That's what we need to see more of in Online games with tanks, go in, take the aggro, protect ur team, dont give a f***.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodearth View Post
I have never seen so much domestic bliss in an anime.
I think it's wonderful, I love it in anime when they bring a couple together without all the tsun-tsun crap for the girl, and the thickheadedness for guy. I'm glad their relationship progressed this fast (on-screen, probably took a lot longer considering they've known each other for almost 2 years now.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 00:07   Link #91
Dr. Casey

I'm not sure; was the attack the Skull Reaper used an instant death technique, or was it just such a strong attack that they didn't have enough hit points to survive it?
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 00:09   Link #92
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
It's not like he knew how the game was going to be used, Kayaba pulled the wool over the eyes of everyone that was involved in the game. It's not fair to get mad at a guy that was just doing his job.
True enough, but instead of actually taking responsibility and doing something to help clear the game he's chilling out while fishing...I'm not exactly going to give the guy a thumbs up for that. Obviously not the only one who got fooled, but I just have an odd feeling about those who are just going on permanent vacation during this. Even if being on the front lines would be impossible for him could have taken up a skill/profession that would help people out. Don't really want to lay into him since it is true he was just as fooled as anyone. But still left with that uncomfortable feeling about this guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I'm not sure; was the attack the Skull Reaper used an instant death technique, or was it just such a strong attack that they didn't have enough hit points to survive it?
I'd bet on the latter. Think he's just a whole lot stronger than they'd expect considering he can one-shot a front liner. Makes the situation all the more dire. The only one who can seriously block that kind of attack is Heathcliff. Makes the situation all the more insane since the majority of the players in this battle are left just praying that Kirito/Asuna/Heathcliff can keep that thing focused on them. This is going to turn into one of those massacres of a fight and could make the morale of the front-liners dip even further.
Old 2012-09-30, 00:10   Link #93
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Don't know for sure either, but it looks like if you take a direct hit, it's powerful enough to drain (at least some people's) entire HP reserve. If you take an indirect hit, it doesn't kill you. So it seems to me that it's not a technique, just related to how critical the hit is.
Old 2012-09-30, 00:18   Link #94
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
I dont think it was an instant death technique, that wouldnt exactly be "fair." When it showed the boss' HP after a few attacks, it showed that it barely moved meaning not only is it fast & strong, it's got a pretty high defensive score.

What I mean by fair is, I think when Kayaba made this game, he intended for it to be beaten/cleared. Having a boss that's Fast, Tough, with a "Touch of Death" attack would completely throw off the game's balance. Not only that, the amount of people needed to defeat such a boss, and the losses the player's side would incur would cripple them on clearing the rest of the game. This boss is set up so that you cant prepare for it. When you and your party go in there, 1 of 2 things will happen, you will walk out victorious or you will all die without being able to send info on the boss to everyone on the outside.
Old 2012-09-30, 00:22   Link #95
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
This boss is set up so that you cant prepare for it. When you and your party go in there, 1 of 2 things will happen, you will walk out victorious or you will all die without being able to send info on the boss to everyone on the outside.
Well, which would be perfectly fine (certainly in the game design phase), if not for the new "condition" imposed post-launch. As it stands, you can't really call that "fair" -- the creator may have "intended for it to be beaten/cleared", but without the possibility of information getting out, it's basically rolling the dice to see if the next group that tries is smart and strong enough to win, and if not you've just lot a whole ton of your best players. One might hope that "Cardinal" would adjust the game balance at some point (as it was implied to be doing in the last episode) if it sees that it's just too unreasonable (because too much attrition now makes it harder to clear the rest of the game).

Edit: As an unrelated reminder to all novel readers. The structure of the anime and the contents of all future episodes are not to be discussed, hinted at, or revealed in any way shape or form. Any such related hint will be deleted without prejudice.
Old 2012-09-30, 00:37   Link #96
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
True enough, but instead of actually taking responsibility and doing something to help clear the game he's chilling out while fishing...I'm not exactly going to give the guy a thumbs up for that. Obviously not the only one who got fooled, but I just have an odd feeling about those who are just going on permanent vacation during this. Even if being on the front lines would be impossible for him could have taken up a skill/profession that would help people out. Don't really want to lay into him since it is true he was just as fooled as anyone. But still left with that uncomfortable feeling about this guy.
Well to be fair Nishida looked a bit up there when it comes to age. He's an old white collar worker in charge of system security. Bet he didn't really expect to play a game of death or even an ordinary MMO anyway. He may have work regarding system security but that doesn't automatically make him hardcore MMO gamer material. Sides fishing can be used to fill the virtual bellies of the players. He mentioned that he could catch but not actually cook them so what does he do w/ them? Throw them back into the wild? I'm guessing he sells them for profit to buy better lures and rods or something. Food can still be a valuable commodity and he could actually do something he likes. At least he's doing something unlike the ones in the starting city who only waited in their rooms chattering their teeth.

Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:
Old 2012-09-30, 00:53   Link #97
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, which would be perfectly fine (certainly in the game design phase), if not for the new "condition" imposed post-launch. As it stands, you can't really call that "fair" -- the creator may have "intended for it to be beaten/cleared", but without the possibility of information getting out, it's basically rolling the dice to see if the next group that tries is smart and strong enough to win, and if not you've just lot a whole ton of your best players. One might hope that "Cardinal" would adjust the game balance at some point (as it was implied to be doing in the last episode) if it sees that it's just too unreasonable (because too much attrition now makes it harder to clear the rest of the game).
For me atleast, the "condition" imposed post-launch I would consider already "unreasonable," so for me, I would adjust what I consider to be reasonable and unreasonable to the situation I'm in. To me in this situation, what would be "unreasonable" would be a boss that hits everyone with a wide AoE attack that reduces everyone to 1 HP and paralyzes (wait I think I've fought that before in a game.)

I would think this boss would have some major/minor weakness, some flaw, even if it's a little one, that would allow you to over come it. Someone said before that every 25th floor boss was horridly stronger then all the ones before it (and probably the first few after it.) From the sounds of it (Dont know what happend during each fight,) it seems like each of those bosses would be a Threshold boss, a boss that requires a lot more then just throwing man power at it. It would seem Kayaba designed this boss so that only those with the ability to think quickly, very quickly, and adapt would be able to defeat it, therefore, would probably be able to reach floor 100. I dont know, maybe I'm being unreasonable with my expectations.

Speaking of weaknesses, thinking back to episode three, where Kirito was with the Black Cats of the Full Moon, didnt he cut off a giant mantis' scythe arm? Looking at his boss, he only seems to have 1 offensive, but very dangerous ability, his 2 frontal Scythes. The rest of his body just looks like bone and legs, not only that it doesnt seem like he attacks with his legs either. If they were to cut off those arms, I think this boss would be well, easy.
Old 2012-09-30, 01:39   Link #98
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:

I think it's wonderful, I love it in anime when they bring a couple together without all the tsun-tsun crap for the girl, and the thickheadedness for guy. I'm glad their relationship progressed this fast (on-screen, probably took a lot longer considering they've known each other for almost 2 years now.
It is BEAUTIFUL!

I mean look at them....they just took over my sig...not just ANY couple can do that....
Old 2012-09-30, 01:45   Link #99
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
For me atleast, the "condition" imposed post-launch I would consider already "unreasonable," so for me, I would adjust what I consider to be reasonable and unreasonable to the situation I'm in. To me in this situation, what would be "unreasonable" would be a boss that hits everyone with a wide AoE attack that reduces everyone to 1 HP and paralyzes (wait I think I've fought that before in a game.)

I would think this boss would have some major/minor weakness, some flaw, even if it's a little one, that would allow you to over come it. Someone said before that every 25th floor boss was horridly stronger then all the ones before it (and probably the first few after it.) From the sounds of it (Dont know what happend during each fight,) it seems like each of those bosses would be a Threshold boss, a boss that requires a lot more then just throwing man power at it. It would seem Kayaba designed this boss so that only those with the ability to think quickly, very quickly, and adapt would be able to defeat it, therefore, would probably be able to reach floor 100. I dont know, maybe I'm being unreasonable with my expectations.

Speaking of weaknesses, thinking back to episode three, where Kirito was with the Black Cats of the Full Moon, didnt he cut off a giant mantis' scythe arm? Looking at his boss, he only seems to have 1 offensive, but very dangerous ability, his 2 frontal Scythes. The rest of his body just looks like bone and legs, not only that it doesnt seem like he attacks with his legs either. If they were to cut off those arms, I think this boss would be well, easy.
The real main problem with the Skull Reaper is that:
Spoiler for Vol 1 -- Cut out Black and White Swords Dance -- NPC Anatomy and Mechanics:
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 01:55   Link #100
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Oh man, then they'd need Lisbeth for that. :P
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote