AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-11-24, 21:07   Link #2641
miketyson

DemiSoda: I see where you're coming from 100%, believe me.

For me, the counter-argument is: this is the episode where I feel like GC stopped trying to be something it isn't, and showed its true colors; it's also the first episode in which I felt it came across like the creative team knew what they were trying to do, and were able to pull it off.

Is what they're trying to do the best thing they could be trying to do? Probably not.

But it's just so much better to see them doing a good job at something, instead of the muddled feeling the first six episodes have had.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 21:07   Link #2642
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

next episode looks boring
Old 2011-11-24, 21:17   Link #2643
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
I'm gonna be bluntly honest: episode 7 was atrociously bad and cheesy which may mean it's so bad it's good for some people - ymmv.

2. How many Haruka (Shu's mother) the milf pantyshots did we get? I lost count because there was too many.

6. Arisa shower scene.

8. Arisa acting tsundere to Gai's "fabulousness".

This episode just made me rage. Complete and total tonal shift that is comparable to Hanasaku Iroha ep 1-2 vs ep 3. It's like if I was watching a completely different series and or if Seiji Kishi got his hands on the script . The only redeeming parts was the revealing of Haruka working for GHQ's geronome department (which in itself was bit of an asspull imo) and at the very end when she revealed a wallet photo of her, Shu and that Inori look-a-like girl.

3/10 for the episode and by far the worst episode for me.
I partially agree. Partially because this isn't the first time tonal shift has happened to a show such like GC.

Or have we all forgotten about Cheese-kun or how "Pizzahut supports the rebellion..."

7/10....

Besides... on #2: This isn't the only show that has presented us with a hot mother this week: Yuuki's mom has nice ass...
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 21:28   Link #2644
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Spoiler for To save space:
Well you summed up my thoughts better by using humour .

And yes, I won't be amused if this is the direction GC is going to take from now on, though my optimism tells me it won't be. Or at least to this level.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 21:31   Link #2645
Brimstone
Banned

Shu being awkward/panicky when his mom catch him with Inori was kind of awkward to watch- And I've seen ALOT of awkward deer-in-headlights moment in romcom, some of them were hilarious and some of them were just ".....hm.". And Personally the return to school part felt abit forced but I assume they wanted Shu to have some connection to normal life, God knows why.

Oh, I'm not a milf person to begin with, but after all these years I just numb to older women looking criminally younger than they should (especially since there's so many of them) Even assuming Haruka isn't his biological mother, they're still tapping into the same vein >.>

#3 awkward scene, Shu freaking the hell out in the middle of a classy party- I can't believe his mother never noticed -_- Not to mention yelling Gai's name out in public... Makes me wonder why they even bothered...

#4 awkward scene, wow they're not even trying anymore with the stereotypes. Dan Eagleman is no Iskanda or Gunha I can tell you that -_-

The only cliche scene that I didn't found awkward was Gai putting the moves on Arisa I just have a soft spot for these kinds of thing I was kinda hoping there's more from this angle, but I'm not holding my breath- we all know how manipulating guys treat their women =_=

But I suppose 'awkward' is a step up from 'annoying' and I didn't rage-palm... Oh pretty fireworks...!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 21:41   Link #2646
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Inori's little mirror moment in the OP always had a flash just before transitioning of the left Inori changing into the girl who looked like her, but I swear this week the transformation occurs earlier in the brief sequence. Anyone able to confirm? Just a change to make it easier to spot, or plot significance?
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 21:51   Link #2647
lightbringer
M9000

This is the first Guilty Crown episode that did not make me throw my hands up in disgust. I rather enjoyed this one. Makes the journey so far worth it, glad I didn't give up on it after all . I'm not really buying that he can go back to school so easily just because GHQ erased some files on him but without this development we won't have a school angle, and it did feel more or less natural, so let's just roll with it for now. Upstanding citizen Gai even deceives his friends in order to win, I like it. And Nutcracker was a strangely fitting theme for the attack, on more than one level lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
So why does Shu call his mom by her name?
Look at the photo, if that's really Shu then there's no way she's really his mother, more like childhood friend older sister stereotype. Probably married his dad just a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Overall a very "In Gai we trust" episode this week. The one person who distrusts Gai now also like him. And all is right with the world.
I know where you're coming from but it's nevertheless a huge improvement over Shu's normal modus operandi. He's actually taking initiative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
If this was planned by Gai to get some kind of alliance started with a powerfull group, how did he know beforehand that someone on that ship had an usefull void against missiles? I am not sure if Gai met Arisa before he was on the ship, but i doubt it. This seems a little too convenient for the plot.
Since Gai is kind of being set up as near-omnipotent, he probably knew about Arisa too. But even if not, there were many people there - someone on board would've had a useful void. It's still risky but Gai's never been averse to risk so far.

Last edited by lightbringer; 2011-11-24 at 22:07.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 21:55   Link #2648
miketyson

ThereminVox: you're not nuts, that actually seems to be new in the OP.

I specifically remember this b/c I remembered noticing around ep1 or ep2 that it wasn't actually a mirror: the background is asymmetric, and the mirror-Inori's aren't mirror images (one had a hair tie, the other didn't, something minor).
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 22:27   Link #2649
maplehurry

Quote:
if that's really Shu then there's no way she's really his mother
BUT they have same hair color !
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 22:34   Link #2650
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
BUT they have same hair color !
Having the same hair color doesn't define if a woman is one's mother y'know

Dunno what's up about her though: Maybe she got pregnant of Shu as some teen. Maybe she married Shu's dad and is his step-mom. Maybe Shu's adopted.....

Or maybe Shu's some GHQ project and that she's the one assigned to watch him.
Old 2011-11-24, 22:38   Link #2651
U<3Anime
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
I'm gonna be bluntly honest: episode 7 was atrociously bad and cheesy which may mean it's so bad it's good for some people - ymmv. This is coming from a person who has been genuinely enjoying Guilty Crown on a weekly basis and somewhat defending it in the past despite all the harsh criticisms about plot, Shu's character etc. However, this was in a different league of bad even in comparison to episode 3, which had a lot of school life shenanigans in itself. I think I counted more "fanservice" and "anime comedy" scenes than the all of the the other GC eps combined. These are merely some off the top of my head but I'm sure there is lots more:

1. Shu's whole class getting excited and jumping on him due to his involvement with Undertakers.

2. How many Haruka (Shu's mother) the milf pantyshots did we get? I lost count because there was too many.

3. Funnell picking up and folding Inori's undergarments.

4. Shu falling on top Inori causing Haruka to misunderstand.

5. Inori acting like a moeblob eating that riceball.

6. Arisa shower scene.

7. Blond psycho number 2 (Dan) being all gung-ho and enthusiastic about missile firing.

8. Arisa acting tsundere to Gai's "fabulousness".

9. A somewhat serious plot of missles being fired at a ship turning into a comedic firework display with Shu dancing about using Arisa's void to deflect the missile attack synchronized to Tschaoivsky's Waltz of the Flowers being played in the background (WTF!).

This episode just made me rage. Complete and total tonal shift that is comparable to Hanasaku Iroha ep 1-2 vs ep 3. It's like if I was watching a completely different series and or if Seiji Kishi got his hands on the script . The only redeeming parts was the revealing of Haruka working for GHQ's geronome department (which in itself was bit of an asspull imo) and at the very end when she revealed a wallet photo of her, Shu and that Inori look-a-like girl.

3/10 for the episode and by far the worst episode for me.
It was just weird how no one seem at that party seem to recognize Gai when his face was broadcasted on TV. *Scratches head*
Old 2011-11-24, 23:01   Link #2652
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Temptation

I can see in this seventh episode that Gai and Shu, for the time being, are working in a sort of partnership. Though Shu still has its reservations about the sorts of things he must do for or accompany to do with Gai, those two might be able to work out solutions that may not involve incurring in more sacrifices.

As expected of Gai, infiltrating the party served multiple purposes. First of all, Funeral Parlor needed financial support, and from the dialogue it looked like Gai and Funeral tried unsuccessful attempts in the past to obtain a deal from the head of the Kihouin Group.

Definitely, it wasn't planned, but Gai likely took advantage of GHQ's attempt to blow the cruiser to oblivion, in order to have a display for the Kihoun Group Head.

Spoiler:

Second, of all things, this is the second show during the year where the mother of the protagonist is depicted as somewhat to very liberal of a mother.

Haruka's funny, and to note that she works at Sephirah Genomics which in turn works for GHQ.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 23:03   Link #2653
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Shu's milf of a mom some side boob and a robot the folds clothes not to bad of an episode
Old 2011-11-24, 23:23   Link #2654
Johnny
Working the bags...

Not a bad episode, but yet nothing to brag about. Just too many things that should have been addressed, but school I guess is more important...

Ties in with the picture at the end. I doubt it's Shu's sister because the picture we see before she opens her wallet is the just the two. Probably a childhood friend as there seems to be others at whatever was going on when the pic was taken.

Which also makes you think that Shu would confront Gai or at least ask about the mystery girl and what the hell is actually going on already...?

As for Inori , meh she seems like a newborn or someone that's been living in a bubble most of her life. Can't really warm up to her character as much I would like to. Also from the looks of the preview. Poor Shu might be going all angsty over her yet again...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 00:40   Link #2655
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep7:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 01:03   Link #2656
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Welp, this was just a little bit better episode than last week's episode. Unfortunately that's still pretty damn awful considering how bad last week's episode.

Frankly, I don't know how much more stupid this show's plot can get. It really is like a terrible, terrible B movie you just watch to laugh at it.

I mean first Shu and Inori start going back to school just cuz. You know terrorists like to keep their identities and presence hidden, but not this terrorist organization! We gotta do things with flare and style, and try everything in our power to make it seem like we don't give a fuck! Gai's logic for this was positively insane... Apparently it's OK to do this because Shu and Inori can act as a decoy! Yay!!! Wait, void genome is a dispensable asset? Shit, for all those flashy things Shu did in previous episodes, apparently he and his powers weren't worth mcuh to this terrorist organization!

I would like to call the Undertakers a terrorist organization, but there's absolutely no organization about it in question it seems.

So we are back in school and what do we need to do as soon as possible? Our favorite cliche things in the world, school life antics and fanservice! Yippe! Ironically it makes this show better because the rest of it is so terrible this type of mediocrity looks good by comparison. Honestly it could work better as a fanservice show this Guilty Crown. It doesn't care about telling a coherent plot after all.

You know, I thought Shu's typical douchebaggery and chauvinism wouldn't be present in this episode, but the fact that he calls his mother by her name and doesn't refer to her as his mother is a bit insulting. In fact, he probably treats his mother like he treats all his other women, like objects. No respect for women, even if they are his mother apparently. What a freaking jackass protagonist.

Inori as usual stood around and looked pretty and faded into the background since she has no character at all. Not even a badass super flying sex doll poses. This week she was but a mere sex doll. How disappointing.

Gai once again showing that dodging a nuclear-like explosion while standing still was no fluke as he shows off just how awesome of a human being he is. What a charmer he was on that boat! And not only that, he timed the king's power extract PERFECTLY with Shu to make sure they had like one second to react before the missle hit. What a badass! Putting his terrorist organization on the line once again with a dangerous stunt that relies on precise timing of mere seconds! Wow. That sort of professionalism is honestly astonishing. Yep, only a badass like Gai can pull this kind of shit off .

Ah yes, can't forget good ol Yoshino's additions to the cast this week. Of course we got the class president girl and the old man, but they were quite forgettable. What was really captivating was the nice display of racism in this show. Oh Yoshino, of course we couldn't get through this anime without displaying some evil gaijin that reeks of xenophobia. This guy is foreign and apparently shoots a lot of missiles, I think he was supposed to be American. Ah yes, his name was Dan, lets not forget!. He's going to show those Japs just exactly why a big stupid evil Gaijin like him should be occupying their lands with GHQ. He's good for them!

I'm not even sure what really happened this episode in the end really. All I got is they teamed up with some rich old man and whatever organization he's from for whatever reason.

So far this anime is not only sexist, but it's racist too! What else does Yoshino have in store for us in this show?

I have no idea, but I do find it quite captivating as always the lengths he'll go to for this show. 4/10, and that's being generous. This show is starting to scare me .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 01:15   Link #2657
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well not unexpected from Gai to set up that situation so he could break the deal. Though he was gambling that they'd have the right void available. Although not impossible that he was spying on everyone who might attend checking out what their voids were and knew that Arisa would be perfect.

Speaking of which guess this kills the "is that Gai dressed up as a girl" joke that was flying around . A pretty good person though in Arisa helping squash some of the issues facing Shu in coming back. Perhaps a bigger surprise was that Shu managed not to fall into his habit of saying the worst possible thing that gets everyone angry at him.

Do wonder what's up with Shu's relationship with his mother. Of course the fact that she didn't talk about him getting arrested/questioned by the GHQ points out that the relationship is odd to begin with.

Curious though about Haruka being on that ship. Can only guess she's talking about her own role in that Lost Christmas incident. Only so many "tragic accidents' going on in the series. And really could see her joining a group that's trying to deal with the after effects of that disease.

If anyone wasn't paying attention they definitely hit home that girl's connection to Shu. Assume the barely in the image blonde kid is Gai.
Old 2011-11-25, 01:37   Link #2658
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
If anyone wasn't paying attention they definitely hit home that girl's connection to Shu. Assume the barely in the image blonde kid is Gai.
:?

Isn't that kid looks a wee too small to be Gai. I expect Gai to be somewhat as old as the pink-girl in the picture since Gai is older than Shu(right?).
Old 2011-11-25, 02:00   Link #2659
JediNight
キズランダム

Once again everyone "drops the show" for how bad it is. See you next week ;P

The only part that really made me roll my eyes was how they were back at school. That's just asking to be arrested once more whenever they feel like it in the future.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 02:20   Link #2660
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm with those who think that Shu is the adopted son of Haruka.

This is for two reasons:

1. It would help to explain why Shu addresses his mother by her first name instead of by her relation to him.

2. Presuming a Shu/Inori romance development, this would allow for "Incest that's not actually incest!", which I find the anime world tends to love. What I mean is that there was a bit of a hint at the end of Episode 7 that Inori might be related to Shu and/or Shu's mother (the hint is in the family photo that Haruka looked at). The pink-haired girl in that photo could be Inori at a younger age, or it could be the girl that Inori was cloned from or something akin to that. Either way, making Inori Shu's childhood sister (but only by adoption, not by blood! ) would pave the way for that old anime standby of "Incest that isn't incest!".

Anyway, I personally found Guilty Crown Episode 7 to be a very fun and enjoyable watch. That being said, I do have some mixed feelings about it.

With Episode 7, Guilty Crown is fully embracing "Camp". It's been campy all-along, I would argue, but with a heavy mix of serious atmosphere/setting and brooding characterization that kept it all grounded.

But in Episode 7, this was largely gone.

Now, I do see some positives arising from this.

Shu actually smiling and being happy/content for a change! That was good to see. I think this anime needed to lighten the mood a bit when it comes to Shu's character specifically. I think that part of his character growth will entail him learning to be happy/content with himself, and also with his friends and allies.

I think this somewhat subtle change in Shu is something that Hare keenly picked up on in this episode. I really liked that brief moment of interaction between Shu and Hare. It was pretty cute how moved Hare was by Shu calling her "a lifesaver", and by him showing real thanks and consideration towards her.

Shu also took the time to thank Arisa for standing up for him and bailing him out there. He also showed consideration for the passengers upon the cruise vessel.

Keep in mind that Shu could have simply said to Tsumugi, "Ok, Gai and I will high-tail it out of here, but let us grab Haruka and my classmate Arisa first." He could have simply shown concern for the people at this party that he knew personally. But he didn't do that. Instead he showed concern for the entire crew and guest list, and I think that was a very good moment for his character. Shu may now be starting to round out into a good hero of sorts.

Other positives included Gai being entertainingly cool, vaguely James Bond-esque in a way. Arisa makes a good addition to the cast, and I felt her character enjoyed an excellent introduction in this episode. Haruka's appearance helps to shed some much-needed light on the broader situation surrounding Shu. Finally, Segai was highly amusing as the antagonist who presents the impression of not giving a damn because he knows his immediate superiors and most of his allies are screwballs.

Now, though, that seques into a key weakness here...

By going entirely camp, the antagonists are no longer simply very "black", but also come across as very easy to defeat.

If Guilty Crown intends to eventually have a serious and truly intense/suspenseful conflict, the antagonists will need to improve considerably simply when it comes to being a credible threat to the protagonists. At the moment, the antagonists in this show seem hopelessly ineffectual. Highly amusing, but pretty incompetent overall.

I personally don't have a major problem with GHQ being presented in a largely negative light, but with or without that negative light, I'd still like them to eventually become serious credible threats to the protagonists.

The anime comedy moments in this were hit-and-miss for me. Some I enjoyed, others I rolled my eyes at a bit.

On the whole, this was an entertaining and smile-raising watch for me, but I hope that Guilty Crown doesn't go "complete camp" for the rest of the show. However, for this episode alone, I think it served a few beneficial purposes, albeit at a slight cost.

I give 8/10 for Episode 7.

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig