AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-17, 16:48   Link #1
Alen

Anime with incredible music

Where the music really enhances the emotion and weight of the anime, or helps enhance the atmosphere. Really, the only two I can remember that did this for me were Eva and Elfen Lied. Perhaps Ergo Proxy and Phantom: RftP too, but I can't quite recall.

Not really interested in 'realistic' anime, slice of life, etc. Here are some I liked but keep in mind not all of them necessarily impressed me with the music but just to give you an idea of the genres I like:

Elfen Lied
Evangelion
Ergo Proxy
Berserk
Black Lagoon
RahXephon
Samurai X
Hellsing
Witch Hunter Robin
Gantz
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

Tried but didn't like:

Gilgamesh
Texhnolyze
Paranoia Agent (not really into crime/detective)
Planetes (like I said, not enough 'fantasy' elements for my tastes)

Edit: When I say fantasy I simply mean fictitious elements. Not necessarily elves and magic.
Old 2011-06-17, 17:06   Link #2
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

OK, here goes...

This is an oldie, but Super Dimension Fortress Macross and especially the movie version of that series Macross: Do You Remember Love? has great music and it figures into the plot as well.

Ghost In The Shell is a thought-provoking cyberpunk movie with a great soundtrack and there is a great scene where there's no dialogue and this incredible music for two minutes in the middle of the film.

Anything Yoko Kanno has ever done has great music: Cowboy Bebop, Macross Plus, Vision of Escaflowne, Ghost In The Shell:Stand Alone Complex

.hack//SIGN has incredible music, but the story doesn't match the quality of the music even though I love the Subaru character in that.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (both seasons) and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya have BGM that I love as much as I love the first season's opening and ending themes. The Image CDs also have incredibly good songs too. The ending theme to Disappearance will break your heart.
Old 2011-06-17, 17:31   Link #3
kitten320

Lol you stole my idea for a thread
Well so far the best soundtracks had shows such as:
Angel Beats
Sword of a stranger
Mai HiME
Madoka Magica

Sengoku Otome: Momoiro Paradox - might not be exactly of your taste but I still would recommend to give it a try, it has some great soundtracks, especially later in the series. Though I warn you now, it is not Action/Comedy series but Comedy/Action series

Those animes have my fave soundtracks.
You could also check Shiki and Ghost of Hunt.
Old 2011-06-17, 18:55   Link #4
Primary Consult

To Aru Majutsu no Index, the best example being episode 12 (first series). There's a well chosen insert song and epic bgm at exactly the right moments, to the point where the BGM still invoke the feelings of this ep whenever I hear them reused.

Clannad (and AS) music was great throughout. Specific things that come to mind (even after not watching any of it for years) are end of Fuko arc, Well timed "Dango Daikazoku" instrumentals, and the notable music of AS 22 ("The Girl's Fantasy" and "Chiisana Te").

Death Note music was excellent throughout. Esp. the character themes.

Elfen Lied, the music made it pretty darned creepy.

Honorable mention: Bleach music felt weird at first (and the new soundtrack albums are bleh) but the core serious tracks invoke some good feeling.
Old 2011-06-17, 19:05   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'll give you an old - FLCL - and a new, Shiki. FLCL is only 6 eps and one of the all-time greats, featuring songs by The Pillows. Shiki is an excellent horror series, featuring great BGM that totally enhances the show. Can't go wrong with either.
Old 2011-06-17, 20:02   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Madoka Magica has an amazing soundtrack. Amazing enough that fans got impatient waiting for the official soundtrack release and created their own. Mami's Battle Theme in particular was an amazing piece of music.

Definitely fits the genre you like. (Several people have called it the "Eva of Magical Girls")

Some other notable music in anime:

Haruhi Suzumiya

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
(You'll appreciate the Eva shout out in the climactic ending).

The World God Only Knows (Only a link to the OP, but the whole soundtrack is good). Different from the genre you usually watch, but plenty of "fantasy" elements.

Angel Beats (Funnier if you watch Haruhi first).

Soul Eater

Full Metal Panic
(Can only find the OST mixed in with Final Fantasy ost)

Ah My Goddess
(Also mixed in with other songs, but what can you do) Again outside the genre you generally watch, but has some pretty good music.

Also, if you exclude "slice of life" type shows you'll be excluding some of the best soundtracks.

Like Maison Ikkoku.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2011-06-17 at 20:12.
Old 2011-06-17, 20:03   Link #7
ArrowSmith

Jigoku Shoujo has incredible soundtracks.
Old 2011-06-17, 20:05   Link #8
Westlo
Lets be reality

Ao no Exorcist is looking like the soundtrack of the year.
Old 2011-06-17, 20:29   Link #9
Alen

Hm, I'm leaning towards watching Death Note simply because its so popular/recommended and yet I still haven't watched it. Or perhaps FMA:B since I've seen FMA already (and thought it was decent). Or maybe Suzumiya even though it really, really doesn't look like something that would interest me. Sigh, I'm always so picky when it comes to anime.
Old 2011-06-17, 21:14   Link #10
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
If you have to pick only one, pick Madoka Magica.

The others are good, but I truly think Madoka Magica will best fill your desire for epic music in an epic fantasy anime.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-06-17, 22:50   Link #11
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Anything Yuki Kajiura did the music for.

Madoka has already been mentioned. I'll recommend Kara no Kyoukai. The soundtrack is mind-bogglingly awesome.
Old 2011-06-17, 23:00   Link #12
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Last Exile - Gorgeous mix of symphony, Spanish guitar and the odd bit of electro.

Samurai Champloo - Very stylish, soulful hip-hop. Proof you don't have to be violent or crude to do well in that genre.

Kimagure Orange Road - Very representative of what was actually good in the 80s.

Galaxy Express 999 - Very stirring space opera music. In-episode music quality is damn high.

Kaiji - Very intense and manly darkness.
Old 2011-06-17, 23:40   Link #13
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Anything Yuki Kajiura did the music for.
+1. As for incredible music done by her and a decent to awesome anime apart from the music I would recommend Noir, Madlax and Mai HiME. The first two are the spiritual predecessors of Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom which I see mentioned in your list of favs, the same director and studio and the guy certainly knows how to get the most impact out of Kajiura's music. I mean, Phantom's music is pretty darned good but IMO not as good as it could have been if they had had Kajiura do the job instead.

Also, anything by Yoko Kanno too. Highlights include Cowboy Bebop, Macross Frontier, and Ghost in The Shell:SAC.

Other suggestions - Gundam SEED, Gunslinger Girl, Haibane Renmei, Simoun.

Old 2011-06-18, 02:19   Link #14
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
If you have to pick only one, pick Madoka Magica.

The others are good, but I truly think Madoka Magica will best fill your desire for epic music in an epic fantasy anime.
So how does one go about legally watching that show?
Old 2011-06-18, 08:13   Link #15
kitten320

^And what is wrong with it? 0_o
Characters are teenagers like in all other animes and no one gets raped, I see no problem.

Or do you mean the source of where to watch it? Just don't tell me that all animes you saw were legally bought.
Old 2011-06-19, 15:22   Link #16
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Beck has some excellent music
Reading: None at the moment
Old 2011-06-20, 15:08   Link #17
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I'll second Madoka, Clannad, Angel Beats, and Haruhi Suzumiya. And to lesser Extent .hack//SIGN.
MAL
Old 2011-06-20, 18:05   Link #18
Alen

Madoka seems a little obscure but I'll try to dig it up. In the mean time I'm watching Gungrave, anyway.

Should also mention I've seen Gungslinger Girl and I did enjoy the music but I forgot to mention it. Samurai Champloo, Kaiji, and Cowboy Bebop too, but not to the same degree.
Old 2011-06-20, 18:57   Link #19
FireChick

Madoka Magica. Enough said.
Old 2011-06-21, 21:13   Link #20
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen View Post
Madoka seems a little obscure but I'll try to dig it up. In the mean time I'm watching Gungrave, anyway.

Should also mention I've seen Gungslinger Girl and I did enjoy the music but I forgot to mention it. Samurai Champloo, Kaiji, and Cowboy Bebop too, but not to the same degree.
Madoka Magica is the biggest hit of 2011.

So it hasn't been released in the US yet. I'm sure it will be though.

Closed Thread