AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-09, 10:31   Link #1521
Gin
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In your mom's pants
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
This discussion is getting downright terrifying.
I am clearly a bad influence on all of you respectable members
__________________
I hate most of you.
Gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 10:35   Link #1522
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
I am clearly a bad influence on all of you respectable members
That you are. Shame on you.

Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 10:44   Link #1523
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The possibility that the 13 year old boy wasn't the father shouldn't be taken as a sigh of relief because now you have to ask who the real father is and how old he is. Statutory rape anyone? If I had to choose between teenagers willingly getting in on at a younger age and teenagers willingly getting it on at a younger age with much, much older men, I'd probably prefer the first one as a lesser of two evils.
Sorry if I wasn't exactly clear, but I meant to say that there was still the possibility that he was the father, meaning he had done it with her even at his age. He was 13 when the baby was born, so he might even have been 12 when the baby was concieved.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 16:55   Link #1524
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 31
On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are still people who will call you a "cradle robber" for mentioning you're thinking of asking out an 18 year old. And don't mean it as a joke.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 21:33   Link #1525
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The land of tempura
Well, for those that are concerned about the age of consent being 18 and thinking it might be too late or something let me add this: at least in my country (Portugal) the law states that for it to be considered a crime the age difference between both (boy and girl) has to be over 3 years if I'm not mistaken. So that means a 19 year old can date a 17 year old without fear of legal issues.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what the law says 'round here.
__________________
Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 21:57   Link #1526
Splitpersonality
Amateur Psychomocologist
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I've read this small discussion, and I have to say what I would've posted would just be along the lines of what Kusa-San said.

I think society, from my American point of view, is pressing for sex, and casual sex at that, and marketing it to younger people. I think that there's a very bad thing going on where people think it's okay to just go around having sex with everyone. I'm not saying that that's not fun, I wouldn't know but I'm sure some people think it is, but I guess I just miss the more traditional values :/

Just my opinion of course.

And yeah, the weird acting 12 year olds... My sister's 12 and she wears almost full on make-up, what the hell is that about?!
Splitpersonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 22:28   Link #1527
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rio View Post
Why, Of course? o.O
Partly because it's to be expected that there would be people who did not date in high school, but more so because this is an anime discussion forum. In America (そして日本でも、だと思う) anime fans tend to be social outcasts, somewhat ostracized for their unusual interests and possibly for social awkwardness. Anime fans are in stark contrast to the types of people who would date early and date heavily, who by comparison tend to be very social and well-connected.

It's just a stereotype, but in many ways there is a certain truth to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitpersonality View Post
I think society, from my American point of view, is pressing for sex, and casual sex at that, and marketing it to younger people. I think that there's a very bad thing going on where people think it's okay to just go around having sex with everyone. I'm not saying that that's not fun, I wouldn't know but I'm sure some people think it is, but I guess I just miss the more traditional values :/
It's hard to say whether society has been more sexualized or not. Pop culture seems to tend toward it.

However, I've spoken with people who grew up in the 1960's and the view is rather different. To (some of) them, society now is very restrictive and up-tight. According to them, back then you could sleep with anyone and have a good time; these days, everyone is worrying about HIV and other sexually-transmitted diseases. So perhaps it's all relative.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 00:15   Link #1528
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where magic is real
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Veen reading the discussion for the last few pages... and things have gotten quite interesting. And here;s two more scary things for y'all: In the UK, I've heard you can have sex at 16, but can't actually see it until 17... and also, anyone familiar with the term "old enough to bleed, old enough to breed"? It was a very long while ago, but apparently a girl got pregnant at 13 (and had the child as well)

Some more recent stuff: as Legdem just brought up, since we're all anime fans, I doubt many of us would've dated in high school (sad fact incoming: I not only never dated during high school for reasons I'll explain in a second, but have also been single for the past seven years)... though it wasn't due to anime, but because I was a total bookworm back in those days (heck, give me a good book to read, and it still hasn't changed)... every time I asked a girl out, I had a tendency to get shot down

And finally: I'm guessing the majority of us had our ideas and behaviors influenced by the late 90's/early 2000's? Unfortunately, people these days are in a society that is all about getting as many things done as possible in a very short amount of time, a bit different from when I'm sure many of us were in our childhood. It's a sad fact, but I've grown to accept it (not saying I like it)... as I note all the time, kids these days are growing up far too fast; but hey, that's the changing times for ya...
__________________
Gifted...or Cursed?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 00:37   Link #1529
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 31
I seem to remember a recent study on students in my own province of British Columbia (westernmost province of Canada for those not in the know) found that current high schoolers are less likely to have had sex or tried drugs then high schoolers ten years ago. That suggests to me that there's more than a little sensationalistic journalism going on regarding the topic.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 01:27   Link #1530
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Veen reading the discussion for the last few pages... and things have gotten quite interesting. And here;s two more scary things for y'all: In the UK, I've heard you can have sex at 16, but can't actually see it until 17... and also, anyone familiar with the term "old enough to bleed, old enough to breed"? It was a very long while ago, but apparently a girl got pregnant at 13 (and had the child as well)

Some more recent stuff: as Legdem just brought up, since we're all anime fans, I doubt many of us would've dated in high school (sad fact incoming: I not only never dated during high school for reasons I'll explain in a second, but have also been single for the past seven years)... though it wasn't due to anime, but because I was a total bookworm back in those days (heck, give me a good book to read, and it still hasn't changed)... every time I asked a girl out, I had a tendency to get shot down
I couldn't say the same for myself tbh, but I know where you're coming from. Some things are just not "in" these days. People always refer to certain things about people that "turn them on" like it's sexual. I think the problem is that a lot of girls, at least the ones I see around me, like the bad boys who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves, who act like they're on top of the world and they can get anything they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
And finally: I'm guessing the majority of us had our ideas and behaviors influenced by the late 90's/early 2000's? Unfortunately, people these days are in a society that is all about getting as many things done as possible in a very short amount of time, a bit different from when I'm sure many of us were in our childhood. It's a sad fact, but I've grown to accept it (not saying I like it)... as I note all the time, kids these days are growing up far too fast; but hey, that's the changing times for ya...
Skip the whole idea of building a relationship and jump straight to bed. That's how people often thing these days.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 02:36   Link #1531
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
It's hard to say whether society has been more sexualized or not. Pop culture seems to tend toward it.

However, I've spoken with people who grew up in the 1960's and the view is rather different. To (some of) them, society now is very restrictive and up-tight. According to them, back then you could sleep with anyone and have a good time; these days, everyone is worrying about HIV and other sexually-transmitted diseases. So perhaps it's all relative.
The 60s is the time of free love and get stoned. I believe each new generation tends to rebel against the previous generation's culture. The 50s were a highly conservative and materialistic time, the next generation was a radical counter to it with people seeking a more liberal and spiritual existance.

Like others around my age, people are seeking to start a family earlier which is very different compare to those older than me that prioritized personal education, career and leisure over the family life.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Some more recent stuff: as Legdem just brought up, since we're all anime fans, I doubt many of us would've dated in high school (sad fact incoming: I not only never dated during high school for reasons I'll explain in a second, but have also been single for the past seven years)... though it wasn't due to anime, but because I was a total bookworm back in those days (heck, give me a good book to read, and it still hasn't changed)... every time I asked a girl out, I had a tendency to get shot down

And finally: I'm guessing the majority of us had our ideas and behaviors influenced by the late 90's/early 2000's? Unfortunately, people these days are in a society that is all about getting as many things done as possible in a very short amount of time, a bit different from when I'm sure many of us were in our childhood. It's a sad fact, but I've grown to accept it (not saying I like it)... as I note all the time, kids these days are growing up far too fast; but hey, that's the changing times for ya...
I think it's due to your introvert nature than anime hobby, nothing sad about it. I knew many who did not club/drink/have a r/s until they finished their university. They went on with their life just fine.

Kids are always picking up things faster than us . I had my first mobile phone at 18 compare to my younger siblings that's been totting a mobile since he's 12.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I seem to remember a recent study on students in my own province of British Columbia (westernmost province of Canada for those not in the know) found that current high schoolers are less likely to have had sex or tried drugs then high schoolers ten years ago. That suggests to me that there's more than a little sensationalistic journalism going on regarding the topic.
The advent of internet is a factor with this issue as well. Any interesting news can be easily published and broadcasted to the world with just a few clicks of a mouse button these days. When there's a bigger audience, the media tends to play it up for their profit. 20 years back, a 13 year kid being a father would probably only made it to the local newspaper. This made seem like the society is getting worse but personally i think it's just that we are more aware of what's going on around the world than before.
__________________
Jazzrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 06:40   Link #1532
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are still people who will call you a "cradle robber" for mentioning you're thinking of asking out an 18 year old. And don't mean it as a joke.
18? Really? O_o

Now that's weird.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
And finally: I'm guessing the majority of us had our ideas and behaviors influenced by the late 90's/early 2000's? Unfortunately, people these days are in a society that is all about getting as many things done as possible in a very short amount of time, a bit different from when I'm sure many of us were in our childhood. It's a sad fact, but I've grown to accept it (not saying I like it)... as I note all the time, kids these days are growing up far too fast; but hey, that's the changing times for ya...
Here, it was already like that when I was in middle/high school (it worsen over the years though), but that doesn't mean that all the kids were like that. I was not

That's not something I will give up on, as if I was accepting things because of the majority (loss of childhood etc.). As my parents did, I'll try to educate my kids differently when I'll be a mother.

Maybe i'll fail, but at least i'd have tried.

Quote:
Some more recent stuff: as Legdem just brought up, since we're all anime fans, I doubt many of us would've dated in high school (sad fact incoming: I not only never dated during high school for reasons I'll explain in a second, but have also been single for the past seven years)... though it wasn't due to anime, but because I was a total bookworm back in those days (heck, give me a good book to read, and it still hasn't changed)... every time I asked a girl out, I had a tendency to get shot down
What Ledgem said is certainly true for some people, but not all. I was not an anime fan in high school. In my case, I didn't date because I was not enterested in the kind of relationships the HSchoolers have here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I seem to remember a recent study on students in my own province of British Columbia (westernmost province of Canada for those not in the know) found that current high schoolers are less likely to have had sex or tried drugs then high schoolers ten years ago. That suggests to me that there's more than a little sensationalistic journalism going on regarding the topic.
While it can be true where you live, it's different here. Drugs use raised a lot among the young people these day (starting younger and younger). And sex, same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitpersonality View Post
I think society, from my American point of view, is pressing for sex, and casual sex at that, and marketing it to younger people. I think that there's a very bad thing going on where people think it's okay to just go around having sex with everyone. I'm not saying that that's not fun, I wouldn't know but I'm sure some people think it is, but I guess I just miss the more traditional values :/
Not only in america... You do have sextoys for sales in your supermarket too ? It happened that they even put it at places where the kids can grab them up ~.~
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 06:44   Link #1533
Gin
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In your mom's pants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Drugs use raised a lot among the young people these day (starting younger and younger). And sex, same.
I can vouch for this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Not only in america... You do have sextoys for sales in your supermarket too ? In some supermarket, they even put it at places where the kids can grab them up ~.~
Who goes to the supermarket, and says, "You know what would go great with these eggs? (insert random sextoy)"?

(yes I know I just typed 'insert sextoy', and I am fully aware of how funny/immature it is)
__________________
I hate most of you.
Gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 08:55   Link #1534
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The land of tempura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I seem to remember a recent study on students in my own province of British Columbia (westernmost province of Canada for those not in the know) found that current high schoolers are less likely to have had sex or tried drugs then high schoolers ten years ago. That suggests to me that there's more than a little sensationalistic journalism going on regarding the topic.
Same thing here across the Pound. I seem to recall some studies here in Europe and in my country that reached the same conclusion. I even recall some studies that placed the average age people started having sex in my country to be 18 for the boys and 16 for the girls (yes, you read it right)... Obviously these values change up and down across the EU but they don't stray too far.

There's a clear increase in visibility for the issue, not an increase in the issue itself. In fact, the increased visibility is leading to a larger awareness of it and consequently kids these days are actually growing up faster then before but not in a bad way, they are actually becoming more mature sooner... I won't say this is always good but at least it's not as bad as the media makes it look.
__________________
Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 09:06   Link #1535
Kakashi
カカシ
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
What Ledgem said is certainly true for some people, but not all. I was not an anime fan in high school. In my case, I didn't date because I was not enterested in the kind of relationships the HSchoolers have here.
Another problem with dating in high school is that, sooner or later , you usually have to go seperate ways, particularly if you plan to move on to higher education at different colleges.

Quote:
Not only in america... You do have sextoys for sales in your supermarket too ? It happened that they even put it at places where the kids can grab them up
Sadly a lot of people seem to get a kicks out of setting foot in sex shops.

eg. ZOMG IM INSIDE EHEHEHEEE

Sigh...
I guess it's understandable.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 09:16   Link #1536
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Same thing here across the Pound. I seem to recall some studies here in Europe and in my country that reached the same conclusion. I even recall some studies that placed the average age people started having sex in my country to be 18 for the boys and 16 for the girls (yes, you read it right)... Obviously these values change up and down across the EU but they don't stray too far.

There's a clear increase in visibility for the issue, not an increase in the issue itself. In fact, the increased visibility is leading to a larger awareness of it and consequently kids these days are actually growing up faster then before but not in a bad way, they are actually becoming more mature sooner... I won't say this is always good but at least it's not as bad as the media makes it look.
I don't know which type of studie you have read but I can tell you that's not true for France and I'm pratically sure that's the same for many other European country and world country.

Kid not growing in a bad way ? So for you teeneager who takes drug very often it's not growing in a bad way ? Kids around 11 who already did fellatio, it's not growing in a bad way ? Teenager who are drunk, it's not growing in a bad way ? And finnaly, the fact that rape doing by teenager is increasing, it's not growing in a bad way ?

And sorry but it's not only the media it's what many of us see every day !

And by the way becoming more mature sooner is absolutely not a good thing ! When you're a children be a children not an adult !! There is no childhood anymore and it's not a good thing at all.
__________________
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 10:31   Link #1537
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
One other problem is exposition. These days, especially with the internet and how kids are becoming better and better with it, kids 12 and below are exposed to a lot of things even our generation wasn't exposed to back in the day. Information spreads around too fast and children are naturally curious. After all, curiosity is probably mankind's greatest impulse, and it is stronger in children since they're far more ignorant of the world than adults are. They will ultimately end up seeing something of a more mature nature and their curiosity pushes them into doing it, and the fact that it is mature in nature is all the more reason they want to do it.

Most kids if not all of them want to mimic adults as much as they can. I'm pretty sure all of us at some stage in childhood wished they were grown ups. I don't see a reason why that would be any different for children these days and the scary part is that they have better chances of mimicking adults without understand what's neccessarily good or bad for them. Once again, it all comes down to their parents or whoever tutors or raises them and the kind of things they're exposed to. In the end, parental control is advised and safety is not guaranteed.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 10:42   Link #1538
VVayfarer
Elite Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Europe, Finland, Helsinki
Send a message via ICQ to VVayfarer Send a message via AIM to VVayfarer Send a message via MSN to VVayfarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
I don't know which type of studie you have read but I can tell you that's not true for France and I'm pratically sure that's the same for many other European country and world country.
Here is one source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Kid not growing in a bad way ? So for you teeneager who takes drug very often it's not growing in a bad way ? Kids around 11 who already did fellatio, it's not growing in a bad way ? Teenager who are drunk, it's not growing in a bad way ? And finnaly, the fact that rape doing by teenager is increasing, it's not growing in a bad way ?

And sorry but it's not only the media it's what many of us see every day !
What you think you see every day doesn't matter. There is a high chance that drug use has simply become more visible, while still continuing to decline.

"Kids around 11 who already did fellatio"? Show me your sources.

"Rape by teenagers is increasing"... says the media. Or are you telling me "many of you" see teenagers in the act "every day"? Again, where are your sources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
And by the way becoming more mature sooner is absolutely not a good thing ! When you're a children be a children not an adult !! There is no childhood anymore and it's not a good thing at all.
That depends completely on the definition of "childhood", "mature", "adult" etc.
VVayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 10:50   Link #1539
leoblack9
Your fagottry, I hate it!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hamster Slapping Land
My thought, with an image.

Spoiler for tip:
__________________
leoblack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 13:06   Link #1540
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The land of tempura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
I don't know which type of studie you have read but I can tell you that's not true for France and I'm pratically sure that's the same for many other European country and world country.

Kid not growing in a bad way ? So for you teeneager who takes drug very often it's not growing in a bad way ? Kids around 11 who already did fellatio, it's not growing in a bad way ? Teenager who are drunk, it's not growing in a bad way ? And finnaly, the fact that rape doing by teenager is increasing, it's not growing in a bad way ?

And sorry but it's not only the media it's what many of us see every day !

And by the way becoming more mature sooner is absolutely not a good thing ! When you're a children be a children not an adult !! There is no childhood anymore and it's not a good thing at all.
Many times what we extract from our limited experience to form the big picture isn't exactly what's really happening and like It was said before in this thread the easy access to lots of information that we have today amplifies news of isolated incidents effectively making them seem more recurring than they actually are.
__________________
Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, break-ups, dating, dating after divorce, divorce, happiness, love, pairings, single dad, single mom

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.