AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2010-08-29, 13:02   Link #281
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Arguably you shouldn't be doing it by hand now either. I can make a tool to help you with counting, but why aren't you using NightWish's voting counter thing? Didn't he finish it?

They can stick to the current simple system. Using points can be optional.
  • you vote 3 sigs then they all get 1pt each
  • you vote for 2 sigs they get 1.5pt each
  • you vote for one 1.5pt for it

The problem I see with the current system is actually the hole "pick 3" thing. Can you answer me why exactly it's "pick 3"? Looking at the general voting pattern if you had people pick 2 or pick 4, you would get completely different results. Picking anything more then 1 should be weighted. Speaking of which, why not pick 1 anyway? would certainly make your life easier.

Please, no changes for the sake of changes.

The current system works and I can't seem to find any flaws in it. In short, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Another point being, picking three best entries is hard enough as it is, don't complicate it even more by adding the weight element to our votes. Then I'd have to wonder "Does this entry deserve 0.3 points more? Or how about I take 0.1 from this one and add 0.4 to that one?! Oh, the possibilities!! Let me just spend the whole afternoon with this problem."

As to why it's "pick 3", well...all the competitions use this as the universal rule. Why be different? I guess that's our case as well.
Old 2010-08-29, 15:11   Link #282
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
Please, no changes for the sake of changes.
What is this some kind of cheap personal attack, or bait? If you are such a guru go ahead and explain to me the great merits of the current system, rather then just act like you're smarter then everyone. I'm not going to debate with such shallow and subjective circular nonsense.

Quote:
The current system works and I can't seem to find any flaws in it. In short, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Like I said it's very plausible, given past results, that in our current system if we had 4 picks the result would be different, and if we had 2 picks it would be different still; and nothing to suggest that since we have 3 we are getting a accurate result. Basically the 3-pick is like a fancy coin toss with some truth to it. Are we picking the best? or the one that falls the most on peoples multi-sided dice; since there is no such thing as 3 "the best". Assuming we're not trolled just 1 of the votes go to the entry that people want to win and the other 2 can be just about anything, they might not even necessarily be in the top 3, given the entire meta properties of having 3 for vote.

Quote:
Another point being, picking three best entries is hard enough as it is, don't complicate it even more by adding the weight element to our votes. Then I'd have to wonder "Does this entry deserve 0.3 points more? Or how about I take 0.1 from this one and add 0.4 to that one?! Oh, the possibilities!! Let me just spend the whole afternoon with this problem."
As I explained you can just keep voting as you have. Adding weight to votes is perfectly compatible with the current system. Also, I don't think laziness when voting should be a factor. Almost every other forum either uses the 1-pick-poll or some form of weighted system. Typically the post your votes in order (first = best) method of assigning weight works better since it's easier to use but it wouldn't be compatible with how voting currently works, so would be harder transition.

Quote:
As to why it's "pick 3", well...all the competitions use this as the universal rule. Why be different? I guess that's our case as well.
"self-fulfilling prophecy" When you vote, you vote for the ONE, not the 3. We don't have 3 winners. Do you have 3 presidents? No, you don't.

Also, you didn't answer why 1-pick is so bad. It should still be easier to count, assuming you don't want to use a poll. And people are more enthusiastic when they have just one person to root for. 3 is just a mood-killer. I wonder if people can even remember the 3 they voted for...
Old 2010-08-30, 10:37   Link #283
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
What is this some kind of cheap personal attack, or bait? If you are such a guru go ahead and explain to me the great merits of the current system, rather then just act like you're smarter then everyone. I'm not going to debate with such shallow and subjective circular nonsense.
What? No...I didn't try to...bah. What I meant is; I just don't see the motivating factor for a change. I'd completely understand if SOTM was in the testing phase, or if people were not content with the current system, thus brainstorming innovative ways to improve it. Let's just say I have difficulties finding out why you propose this. But then again, it might just be your love for the community, seeing how often you try to improve several aspects of AniSuki. No irony there, it's admirable.

Quote:
Like I said it's very plausible, given past results, that in our current system if we had 4 picks the result would be different, and if we had 2 picks it would be different still; and nothing to suggest that since we have 3 we are getting a accurate result. Basically the 3-pick is like a fancy coin toss with some truth to it.
For some people, 1 might not be enough. Sometimes, there's more than one amazing entry and you, as a voter, might get stuck thinking which one to choose. And it's not like we can't vote just one or two entries. I myself have used the right to vote for less than 3 entries, if I felt the theme's quality was not met.

Quote:
Are we picking the best? or the one that falls the most on peoples multi-sided dice; since there is no such thing as 3 "the best". Assuming we're not trolled just 1 of the votes go to the entry that people want to win and the other 2 can be just about anything, they might not even necessarily be in the top 3, given the entire meta properties of having 3 for vote..
Well, how can we define the best, really? It's as subjective as it can get. Some people get votes for visual quality, some for the idea, some gather votes just for being popular within the community (Just like people admire Picasso's work. Well, I don't, I see no value in it, seems horrible to me. Know what I mean?). If people vote for all three just for the heck of it, not actually caring that much, then it's a problem with them, not with the system. But since people even add honorable mentions, you can see that even three almost isn't enough for some. Or they're just indecisive, but I'm not the one to judge that.

Quote:
As I explained you can just keep voting as you have. Adding weight to votes is perfectly compatible with the current system. Also, I don't think laziness when voting should be a factor. Almost every other forum either uses the 1-pick-poll or some form of weighted system. Typically the post your votes in order (first = best) method of assigning weight works better since it's easier to use but it wouldn't be compatible with how voting currently works, so would be harder transition.
Well then, try some research. Doesn't seem like most participants are even interested enough to join this discussion so far (though it's still early). We can talk here all we want, but that won't help much. How about poking a few SOTM regulars' profiles, asking for their opinion? You know, if you're that serious about it. =)

Quote:
"self-fulfilling prophecy" When you vote, you vote for the ONE, not the 3. We don't have 3 winners. Do you have 3 presidents? No, you don't.

Also, you didn't answer why 1-pick is so bad. It should still be easier to count, assuming you don't want to use a poll. And people are more enthusiastic when they have just one person to root for. 3 is just a mood-killer. I wonder if people can even remember the 3 they voted for...
I didn't answer why 1-pick is bad, since I don't think it is. I only doubted vote weighting. Well, I may not remember the people behind their entries, but I do remember those entries I voted for. As it should be, imho...rating the art, not the artist.
Old 2010-08-30, 12:22   Link #284
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Careful there, youre almost sounding like youre baiting just to bait. Sounds like you wanted to argue either way on the subject no matter who replied.

I agree with Larthak, changes made for the sake of changing arent normally viewed as a good thing. Again if its not broke dont fix it and like Solace pointed out itll probably be more complicated for the counters.

If we had tons of ties every month, I might suggest we change the current format but we dont and why after over a year and half (maybe even more since I dont remember when SOTM started) bring this up now?

Quote:
When you vote, you vote for the ONE, not the 3. We don't have 3 winners. Do you have 3 presidents? No, you don't.
Are you really comparing SOTM to the Electoral College? I think that actually has more flaws then SOTM voting.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 13:54   Link #285
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Careful there, youre almost sounding like youre baiting just to bait. Sounds like you wanted to argue either way on the subject no matter who replied.

I agree with Larthak, changes made for the sake of changing arent normally viewed as a good thing.
I didn't say anything about making the change for the sake of change! Can you and Larthak please stop trying to poke me with this. I even asked if there was any other discussion on the subject, and also brought arguments of why it is bad and doesn't work. I also asked what the reasoning behind it was, and I've yet to hear anyone do anything more then avoid the question.

Quote:
Again if its not broke dont fix it and like Solace pointed out itll probably be more complicated for the counters.
A broken clock is right 2 times a day, so why fix it right?

Well, "is harder for the counters" the only problem you all have? (not sarcasm)

Quote:
If we had tons of ties every month, I might suggest we change the current format
Hint 1: there's almost always 3 people competing for 1st.
Hint 2: we have so-called "ninja voting"

Quote:
but we dont and why after over a year and half (maybe even more since I dont remember when SOTM started) bring this up now?
What do you mean? What's wrong with "the now"? For all we know the contest will run for many more years; no reason not to fix it. This entire phase takes a good chunk of the schedule too and is arguably just as important as everything else. If there's a pothole in the road do you think there's some time frame after which it's illegal to fix it? I don't understand.

Quote:
Are you really comparing SOTM to the Electoral College? I think that actually has more flaws then SOTM voting.
Electoral what? But anyway, name those flaws (and how the current system in SotM doesn't have them). I've yet to hear any good non-subjective reason behind choosing 3; given that's really the only difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak
Well then, try some research. Doesn't seem like most participants are even interested enough to join this discussion so far (though it's still early). We can talk here all we want, but that won't help much. How about poking a few SOTM regulars' profiles, asking for their opinion? You know, if you're that serious about it. =)
There's a reason why some people here are called "contest organizers".
Old 2010-09-05, 21:46   Link #286
Suomi
Kaiba

Anyone want to collaborate w/me for this month's contest?

(I believe this goes here...)
Old 2010-10-11, 15:54   Link #287
Raildex
*Graphic Designer

so am i allowed to enter? I just registered today.

Last edited by Raildex; 2010-10-11 at 16:14.
Raildex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 16:53   Link #288
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGC Railgun View Post
so am i allowed to enter? I just registered today.
Yes.

But I believe not allowed to Vote, yet.
Old 2010-10-11, 21:48   Link #289
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Yes.

But I believe not allowed to Vote, yet.
No, if he has an entry in the competition he can also vote.

Quote:
6. To cut down on any potential cheating, any accounts registered a week before, and up through, the voting period are not eligible to vote. The exception to this rule is any account with an entry in the contest.
Old 2010-10-17, 07:36   Link #290
Sifr

Sifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 15:36   Link #291
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifr View Post
Is that your entry for this month's edition of SOTM?

If so, then this is not the place to post it. You are also waaaaay above the allowed limits for sigs here.
Old 2010-10-18, 01:58   Link #292
Sifr

Alright then, perhaps next month.
Sifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 06:34   Link #293
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
^Huh ?

All you have to do is post it in the right thread, and reduce the file size to 50kb or under.
Old 2010-10-19, 06:11   Link #294
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
All you have to do is post it in the right thread, and reduce the file size to 50kb or under save it as jpeg.
fixed
Old 2010-10-19, 11:03   Link #295
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Well now he did save it as jpeg, but for some reason also made it smaller and posted it on the right thread... Now the question is, how does that actually even fit the current theme for this month ?
Old 2010-10-24, 12:04   Link #296
Suomi
Kaiba

Can I authorize someone else to cast my votes for SOTM for me? I intend to take a two-week hiatus as of today/tomorrow, but would like to vote...could I have someone do that for me?
Old 2010-10-24, 22:05   Link #297
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sworn to Believe View Post
Can I authorize someone else to cast my votes for SOTM for me? I intend to take a two-week hiatus as of today/tomorrow, but would like to vote...could I have someone do that for me?
Send your votes to Marina (and make sure you are specific in who you are voting for) before you go.
Old 2010-10-24, 22:47   Link #298
Suomi
Kaiba

Thanks. I ended up not having left yet so I voted before I leave.
Old 2010-10-26, 23:13   Link #299
Reonikki
女人最大~~

I am new and am planning to enter the Nov'10 contest, and I have some Q's.

- Must our entries be saved in JPEG format only?
- Who is the contest organiser, who I must PM my entry to? (Solace?)
- Are text allowed in our entries?

Thanks a lot. BTW, 50,000 bytes is kinda restrictive >.<
Reonikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 23:49   Link #300
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reonikki View Post
Must our entries be saved in JPEG format only?
No. GIF, PNG, PNG-8, or some other image format is fine too.
Quote:
Who is the contest organiser, who I must PM my entry to? (Solace?)
Yes, he's our friendly neighborhood overlord.
Quote:
Are text allowed in our entries?
Yes.
Quote:
BTW, 50,000 bytes is kinda restrictive >.<
No.

Tags
contest, signature, sotm