AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-08-03, 23:02   Link #341
monster

Different people have different use for the internet. For my use, Internet Explorer has been a good browser on Windows and Firefox has been a good browser on various Linux distributions that I've used in the past.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 17:08   Link #342
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've used Firefox on Linux for over a decade now. I don't care about being cross-platform as I only use Windows under duress. Even then, I've never been unhappy with Firefox on Windows either. That posting above seems a bit whiny to me. The entire judgement about Firefox's performance consists of a posting from one "Google+ homie" about his or her problems.

I do occasionally see complaints from people who want to have twenty or more simultaneous open tabs. This seems like a "corner" problem that affects very few ordinary users who probably use at most only half-a-dozen tabs. Many people I encounter don't even know tabs exist.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 13:01   Link #343
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I've used Firefox on Linux for over a decade now. I don't care about being cross-platform as I only use Windows under duress. Even then, I've never been unhappy with Firefox on Windows either. That posting above seems a bit whiny to me. The entire judgement about Firefox's performance consists of a posting from one "Google+ homie" about his or her problems.

I do occasionally see complaints from people who want to have twenty or more simultaneous open tabs. This seems like a "corner" problem that affects very few ordinary users who probably use at most only half-a-dozen tabs. Many people I encounter don't even know tabs exist.
I'm using Firefox on Linux (Fedora 18) with more than 60 open tabs (thanks to Tree Style Tab) and at work I'm also using Firefox (Windows 7) where from time to time I have also more than 50 tabs open and I don't remember the last time I have had a problem with it. And I can say more or less the same for Chrome even if I am using it less than Firefox.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 11:13   Link #344
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've been Firefoxing for years with lots of extensions ... but the behavior is feeling listless and bloated lately (even with uninstalling, burning all evidence, and re-installing) ... for my "amusement" I'm seeing how closely I can match functionality with Chrome and extensions.

Also, I'm losing my iGoogle portal page in November (carefully tailored for newsfeeds, stocks, weather, etc and trying different ways to duplicate the convenience of one homepage dashboard. I've had several recommendations but haven't really spent a lot of energy on them yet.
Old 2013-08-17, 14:29   Link #345
sa547
*Author

I wouldn't use Chrome while playing games simultaneously. Instead, for the netbook I'm using (Atom processor, 2gb of memory, shared Intel graphics) while on the go I have to take Opera, as I heard that it has a very low memory footprint compared to Firefox and Chrome.
Old 2013-08-25, 04:37   Link #346
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
I'm using Firefox on Linux (Fedora 18)
Hi, we seem alike.
In any way, it is quite interesting to see such a thread get such a long discussion.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 14:38   Link #347
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I use Chrome for my desktop (Windows), mainly for the spell checker and Boat browser for my Android phone mainly because it can play flash and has handy sidebar use.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 17:43   Link #348
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

One reason apparently to stick with Firefox partially. Chrome plugins are not allowed to capture Youtube streams (Google Playstore policy). My Firefox "video downloadhelper" is wondrous for that capability - which lets me manage my monthly transfer totals, thanks).

As it might be said, "fuck that".
Old 2013-09-02, 20:14   Link #349
sa547
*Author

I should've mentioned about Youtube Options (YTO, https://spoi.com/software/yto/) installed in Chrome (on my main rig), which allows me to download any size/type video from YT. Of course if that fails, Firefox and a trio of plugins also do the work.
Old 2013-09-02, 22:23   Link #350
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
I should've mentioned about Youtube Options (YTO, https://spoi.com/software/yto/) installed in Chrome (on my main rig), which allows me to download any size/type video from YT. Of course if that fails, Firefox and a trio of plugins also do the work.
Ah, this is brilliant - thanks! Soooo many knobs and buttons!
Old 2013-09-07, 05:19   Link #351
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

did Opera removed Opera Turbo? just downloaded Opera 16 but I can't find it anywhere.
Old 2013-09-07, 05:28   Link #352
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Yeah, they removed a cr**load of features since they ditched Presto and turned to Chromium/Blink, most likely because they needed to rebuild all these parts from the ground up in order to make them compatible with the new engine. So either Opera ASA turned the removed stuff into standalone programs (Opera Mail, for one), they revamped it (Turbo --> Off-Road) or they completely dumped it. They're slowly but surely putting some features back in, but only after tailoring it for Blink/Chromium, if possible...and if it is present on their development roadmap.

End result? Opera is now a bloated, over-minimalistic browser with little of its erstwhile potential for extensive UI/settings customization.

EDIT: Opera Turbo is now called "Off-Road mode".
Old 2013-09-08, 09:49   Link #353
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
End result? Opera is now a bloated, over-minimalistic browser with little of its erstwhile potential for extensive UI/settings customization
I still remember the day when I saw Opera 15. Customization was the reason I went with Opera to begin with and stuck with it for so long, even through the abyssmal 12.x releases. The built-in mail client was just gravy. I was even originally for the switch to WebKit because I thought it would let Opera shift the Presto deveopers over to other teams so they could tweak the UI and customization capabilities, and maybe even do something about the horrible memory bloat that kept bogging the 12.x series down. The last thing I wanted was another Chrome clone.
Old 2017-11-15, 02:33   Link #354
AnimeFan188

Firefox thinks Quantum can beat Chrome with ethics… and speed:

"Now Mozilla, the company behind Firefox, is hoping that the latest version of its
browser can begin the fight back against Chrome. “This is by far the biggest reboot
we’ve ever done,” says Mark Mayo, senior vice president of Firefox at Mozilla. The latest
version, the firm claims, Firefox Quantum, is twice as fast as Firefox was six months ago
and uses 30 per cent less memory than Chrome. That should mean fewer crashes and
less time spent gazing at the spinning wheel of death."

See:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/mozi...-google-chrome

So, how does Firefox Quantum compare to the other browsers?
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-16, 20:15   Link #355
Tiberium Wolf

It's faster and eating less memory. Thou I lost a few extensions because they aren't supported in the new version.
Old 2017-11-30, 05:56   Link #356
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

FQ is indeed faster, but it seems to have trouble closing tabs, because 35-50% of the time, whenever I open the browser, I get a message telling me either a window or a tab was not properly closed, and proposing me to restore the "lost" session.

I don't have any extensions or add-ons installed and this bug occurs with just about any possible website, from Yahoo! to Youtube.

Bah. Anyway, I mostly use Edge, Chrome and Vivaldi, so FQ will easily be relegated to the status of "last resort", to be used only when I hit the odd website that is optimized for Firefox alone and cannot be properly rendered by the aforementioned other browsers. No big loss here.

Tags
chrome, excited, firefox, internet explorer, opera, reviews