AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-03, 12:49   Link #2121
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Is that France's timeslot or Japanese timeslot? Also, a morning timeslot (a really morning, not like 2 AM or so) doesn't mean it's for mature audience.
It's the Japanese timeslot.
Anyway, Lost Canvas is/was published in a weekly shonen magazine, so saying it was aimed to a "mature audience" would be wrong (and "more mature" doesn't equal "good" or "better", anyway).
It got an ova release because it wasn't popular enough for tv - and even though sales are worse now, it's funny how Teshirogi refuses to let it go..i guess it's because she's such an ordinary mangaka that she knows she can't come up with a 100% original work of her own in the future.

Its focus was obviously different from Omega (LC focusing on old Gold Saints, Omega focusing on new Bronze Saints), so it's hard to compare, though. Of course LC's Gold Saints got to shine more, but on the other hand, i'd say Kouga, Yuna, Eden are far better protagonists than the likes of Tenma, Yato and Yuzuriha.

Another thing i appreciate in Omega is how Seiya's generation finally matured and evolved to a "legendary" status among Saints. It's seriously annoying how Kurumada keeps writing them as "pfff Bronze Saints lol" even after they defeated Gods. They are seriously underpowered (and dumb, especially Shun) in Next Dimension. It's like they can't develop in any way.

Last edited by Goty; 2013-04-03 at 13:12.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 12:58   Link #2122
Miraluka
Banned

It hurts seeing how Shun get ridiculized despite having enough power to whip the floor with a Gold Saint without his bronze cloth.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 14:48   Link #2123
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
It's the Japanese timeslot.
Anyway, Lost Canvas is/was published in a weekly shonen magazine, so saying it was aimed to a "mature audience" would be wrong (and "more mature" doesn't equal "good" or "better", anyway).
It got an ova release because it wasn't popular enough for tv - and even though sales are worse now, it's funny how Teshirogi refuses to let it go..i guess it's because she's such an ordinary mangaka that she knows she can't come up with a 100% original work of her own in the future.

Its focus was obviously different from Omega (LC focusing on old Gold Saints, Omega focusing on new Bronze Saints), so it's hard to compare, though. Of course LC's Gold Saints got to shine more, but on the other hand, i'd say Kouga, Yuna, Eden are far better protagonists than the likes of Tenma, Yato and Yuzuriha.
Really? Shiroi Ryu said 6 AM but I remember the Japanese timeslot is 6.30 AM.

Of course we can argue whether LC anime is targeted at more mature audience than Omega or not till kingdom come, but I’m not that interested in it, given I'm the one who ask Jehuty to stop doing it.

Where in my post I ever said “more mature” equals “good”? I only said that I like LC better.

And I don't want to argue which characters from which series are better because it's up to one's taste and redundant and a bit pointless since I'm not originally the one who said that LC is better than Omega. So yeah, take it somewhere else.
Old 2013-04-03, 15:11   Link #2124
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 15:15   Link #2125
Miraluka
Banned

ROFL at that website's name .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 15:42   Link #2126
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Oddly enough, seeing that pic of Haruto reminds me of when he tried to stop Abzu with his kunai. Yeah, as if that would work. The series go out of their way to make him a smart character, but that one kunai-attack-on-Abzu makes him look like the stupidest out of our six bronze saints .
Old 2013-04-04, 01:52   Link #2127
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
But my point still stands that if someday Bandai ran out of characters from the original series to be made into figures, they’ll eventually looking at other segments of the franchise be it the movies, Omega, LC or god-knows what future series we’ll get. Unlike mechas in Gundam universe, the original characters and toy-lines for SS franchise are quite limited, you know. Besides, there will be a time where fans will get bored with the original characters and Bandai have to provide something new. For example, years ago, nobody ever imagined that we’ll get obscure characters like Black Saints, Steel Saints, Silver Saints, Mermaid Tethys, Cassios, Seiya & Shiryu with casual outfit or even Saori in “Saint Cloth Myth” line. But we got them now partly due to the fans of the toys who got bored with the usual Bronze and Gold Saint figures. They want variety.
And my point is they don't necessarily have to move into the other series if they can reboot the franchise and the old fans still continues to buy. If Gundam has taught us anything is that Bandai will experiment with different scales/sizes and aesthetic alterations first before releasing very niche MS eg shows like Gundam X Victory Gundam and Turn A MS usually gets the cold shoulder due to their failure as merchandise previously. Now that they have the Cloth Legend EX series and with them releasing about 3~4 of them per year, they have another 4~5 years to play with just with the core Saints of the original series. By that time toy technology will improve again and they may make another new figure series (memory metal for example? that would be really nice for cloth toys), rinse and repeat and we will probably never get to series like LC and Omega.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 03:07   Link #2128
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
By that time toy technology will improve again and they may make another new figure series (memory metal for example? that would be really nice for cloth toys), rinse and repeat and we will probably never get to series like LC and Omega.
You know, years ago many people also said the same thing about Black Saints, Silver Saints, and other obscure characters like Chameleon June, Guilty, Cassios, etc, and look what we got today. In short, any segment of a franchise have potential to be milked someday if the main segment already run dry. I simply see that opportunity while you don’t. And look, they already made a Pegasus Kouga S.H. Figuarts like you said. Let’s see how action figures from Omega do in the future together, shall we?
Old 2013-04-04, 07:14   Link #2129
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
You know, years ago many people also said the same thing about Black Saints, Silver Saints, and other obscure characters like Chameleon June, Guilty, Cassios, etc, and look what we got today. In short, any segment of a franchise have potential to be milked someday if the main segment already run dry. I simply see that opportunity while you don’t. And look, they already made a Pegasus Kouga S.H. Figuarts like you said. Let’s see how action figures from Omega do in the future together, shall we?
The thing is they always HAD Black Saints toys/models since like the very beginning of the franchise (since it's really just a re-coloured version of the 5 bronze saints, which means VERY efficient reuse of the model cast, it actually makes less sense if Bandai don't release Black Saints). The release of the more niche figures as limited run Web order only is currently a core business strategy of Bandai now which they perfected with the Kamen Rider SIC series (release niche variations of minor Kamen Riders), and the common point about these toys are that they are targeting old otakus with lots of disposable income fuelled by childhood nostalgia, which is a complete contrast to new series like Omega and LC which has relatively newer and younger aged fans.

Not saying they would never release Omega or LC toys, but my bet is that if the current toys don't do well now, you'll be waiting for a LONG time (maybe up to a full decade) till we get there as Bandai would be targeting the core Saint Seiya fans first and foremost, and then release the less popular ones when they deem there would be enough demand to justify releasing them (very possibly betting on that the fans of Omega/LC had grown older, and again fuelled by nostalgia like the fans of the original). Bandai's current strategy of rebooting Gundam SEED toys is probably what we would be seeing here (10 year anniversary > the teens whom watched SEED are now in their mid twenties working etc) if Omega manages that level of popularity for its intended audience.
Old 2013-04-04, 07:26   Link #2130
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Not saying they would never release Omega or LC toys, but my bet is that if the current toys don't do well now, you'll be waiting for a LONG time (maybe up to a full decade) till we get there as Bandai would be targeting the core Saint Seiya fans first and foremost, and then release the less popular ones when they deem there would be enough demand to justify releasing them (very possibly betting on that the fans of Omega/LC had grown older, and again fuelled by nostalgia like the fans of the original). Bandai's current strategy of rebooting Gundam SEED toys is probably what we would be seeing here (10 year anniversary > the teens whom watched SEED are now in their mid twenties working etc) if Omega manages that level of popularity for its intended audience.
Just to inform you, your post that I quoted is my point all along. So I’m a bit confused about how fired-up you are in arguing with me when you yourself have the same reasoning . I did say to wait for several years (yeah, that can be a decade too) for a notable numbers of figures from LC or Omega to be made, right?
Quote:
So I’d say wait several years until Bandai ran out of characters from the original series to make figures from, and finally they’ll turn their attention to characters from both Omega and Lost Canvas for more armor toys .
Now that we already understand each other, do you still have something more to argue?
Old 2013-04-04, 09:30   Link #2131
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Now that we already understand each other, do you still have something more to argue?
Not fired up at all. What I'm disagreeing is with you though is the target audience. From my impression is that you are assuming that just because everything falls under the "Saint Seiya" franchise and that because the old Cloth Legend series is running out of old characters to turn into figures it would automatically mean the other series like Omega and LC will naturally get folded into that line of toys. What I'm arguing is that this is very unlikely as currently nearly all Saint Seiya toys are being bought by fans of the old series which seems to have little to no interest in buying toys of Omega and LC - this is supported by two pieces of evidences; namely the previous LC figures didn't do well enough for Bandai to keep making characters from LC into the Cloth Legend series and they even let LC toys drop off the radar completely missing out on the marketing opportunity when LC was still being released in OVA form, and two Kouga's figure doesn't belong to Cloth Legend but a lower age group of toy line the SH Figure Arts. I guess what I am saying is that even when the current fans get sick of buying old Saint Seiya toys and after the many attempted reboots they would still not be looking at Omega and LC toys - as from the evidence there actually exists at least two groups of non-overlaping fans, and it seems Bandai is aware of this too. Therefore whether Bandai would actually release toys of Omega and LC wouldn't depend on whether they ran out of figures of the old series to make but rather whether the younger group of fans of LC/Omega are deemed to be worth trying to explore as a market or not.
Old 2013-04-04, 09:56   Link #2132
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Not fired up at all. What I'm disagreeing is with you though is the target audience. From my impression is that you are assuming that just because everything falls under the "Saint Seiya" franchise and that because the old Cloth Legend series is running out of old characters to turn into figures it would automatically mean the other series like Omega and LC will naturally get folded into that line of toys. What I'm arguing is that this is very unlikely as currently nearly all Saint Seiya toys are being bought by fans of the old series which seems to have little to no interest in buying toys of Omega and LC - this is supported by two pieces of evidences; namely the previous LC figures didn't do well enough for Bandai to keep making characters from LC into the Cloth Legend series and they even let LC toys drop off the radar completely missing out on the marketing opportunity when LC was still being released in OVA form, and two Kouga's figure doesn't belong to Cloth Legend but a lower age group of toy line the SH Figure Arts. I guess what I am saying is that even when the current fans get sick of buying old Saint Seiya toys and after the many attempted reboots they would still not be looking at Omega and LC toys - as from the evidence there actually exists at least two groups of non-overlaping fans, and it seems Bandai is aware of this too. Therefore whether Bandai would actually release toys of Omega and LC wouldn't depend on whether they ran out of figures of the old series to make but rather whether the younger group of fans of LC/Omega are deemed to be worth trying to explore as a market or not.
Which brings a question: if the time comes where future generation (read: potential buyers) don’t recognize the original Bronze & Gold Saints (or any of the original characters anymore), will Bandai keep rebooting their toy-lines with those characters? Or will they rather go with characters from the most recent series (like Omega) which said generation recognize? (given there are new SS series at that time in the future)

Saint Seiya as a franchise is not as successful as Gundam (especially UC universe) where even the most recent fans are curious and willing to watch the old original series and thus, recognizing and liking the old mechas. And there are so many of them.
Old 2013-04-04, 13:32   Link #2133
Tetsu Aero

Just a quick side-note, but judging by the reviews of the LC myth cloths, they dind't sell very well because they were poorly made. :/
Tetsu Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 12:15   Link #2134
ShiroiRyu

Erf !
I'm sorry : It's 6:30AM Japanese Time not 6:00.
For us in France, it's was 10:30 PM (now 11:30 PM if i'm not wrong).
For the Yuna & Koga fanart.
Old 2013-04-05, 19:38   Link #2135
belxebu

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
Thanks to this image is that I think that Yuna would be a great Libra Saint
belxebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 20:25   Link #2136
cyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiRyu View Post
Erf !
I'm sorry : It's 6:30AM Japanese Time not 6:00.
For us in France, it's was 10:30 PM (now 11:30 PM if i'm not wrong).
For the Yuna & Koga fanart.
You should know this if you are watching the tv recordings or livestreaming. There is a clock at the top left hand corner.
cyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 20:53   Link #2137
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I wonder how is the Sanctuary going to work now. A new Pope or Saori? Also, what happened with Palestra?
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 21:11   Link #2138
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I wonder how is the Sanctuary going to work now. A new Pope or Saori? Also, what happened with Palestra?
Maybe Seiya will get a raise and made into Pope someday XP.

*imagining Seiya with Pope robe doing Ryuusei-ken*
Old 2013-04-05, 21:19   Link #2139
ChampDream
Alive

Quote:
they probably use the one Mars created or they build a new one with advance technology ( adding a elevator or escalator)
Old 2013-04-05, 22:11   Link #2140
Ozuma

@Ameratsu

Most likely Saori will take charge again. Just like how she did after the whole incident with Saga.
Ozuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen