AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Steins;Gate

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-06-19, 18:25   Link #1721
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Neo-Venezia, Planet Aqua (Mars)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
That's a good point, and ideally he would be.

Moreover, though, he is a scientist. As a practitioner of science, he should be happy to be corrected. That's how science works. Of course, his ego just the better of him.
Somewhat off topic:

As someone that is involved with research, I can tell you things do not work the same as it should ideally. I think that is true for other professional fields apart from science.

Ego and jealously is one problem, but often being professional means you are very career oriented. Bad blood happens just because of career advancement and fights over funding. It has nothing to do with good science, and it is all about politics and money.
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 18:40   Link #1722
maplehurry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Kurisu was also depressed for a while when she's proven wrong regarding time travel, but at least she gets over it quickly.
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 18:46   Link #1723
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Where you live... the question is, do you see me?
Age: 24
I get the impression Kurisu's father suffers from an inferiority complex to his own daughter. Given the fact they work in separate fields of science, competition for jobs or money doesn't appear to be the main issue here.

On the subject I'm very unimpressed with the backstory behind the Kurisu family breakup, simply because there are always better and smarter people out there. Kurisu's father should realize how lucky he is to have his own daughter outsmart him, instead of some competing scientist who could actually do some economic damage to his family. Usually people of affluence are happy to be building a legacy, passing down the torch to descendants of greater skill.

However I'm going to also argue scientists hate to be corrected. Scientists put a lot of faith and work into their calculations and predictions, so telling them their effort all went to waste is pretty heartbreaking. Sometimes I wonder if scientists even believe in the concept of "love" - given the scientific articles I read on hormones, stating how emotions can be explained through chemical imbalances. Perhaps Kurisu's father doesn't love his own daughter. Even though Kurisu recalled her father sharing scientific papers with her, there was not a word about her father ever showing any signs of parental affection.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 19:36   Link #1724
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 26
Excuse me for being blunt, but I despise the "scientists are unromantic and emotionless" crap. It's bullshit.

... I could write a paragraph explaining why, but instead I'll just put this here:

__________________
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 19:43   Link #1725
karuroso
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Apparently on 16/6 was released another version of the VN for the 360 "Steins;Gate Hiyoku Renri no Darling"



the description where i found:
"The Steins Gate series is made of 99% science and 1% fantasy. But in this installment, this proportion no longer holds true. The players can have 100% of what they want. The tone becomes lighter, more like a love comedy, see what the characters are up to when they are not doing experiments and creating chaos.

The game has more events and CGs, so discover new sides of characters that are usually hidden by their tough or cheerful exteriors. Get closer to the girls by sending them random emails. The interface becomes even easier to use, so just slide into your white lab coat to start your adventure."


haha AWESOME! just looking at the description + video we can already see some good events that i wish would be animated like all the girls wearing the maid uniform or Kurisu and Okabe sharing the same bed =D
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 20:04   Link #1726
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Where you live... the question is, do you see me?
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Excuse me for being blunt, but I despise the "scientists are unromantic and emotionless" crap. It's bullshit.
I'm not saying you have to enjoy or even agree with the stereotype, but you should be tolerant of the idea as Kurisu's father may very well turn out to be an emotionless, cold-blooded scientist. Personally I know of some people (scientists and others alike) who repress their emotions because they get in the way of objective analysis. They have feelings, but would have preferred if human feelings never existed in the first place.

If the visual novel writer chooses to give Kurisu a bastard of a father, it's not my place as a viewer to immediately despise his character and dismiss the writing as garbage. (At least, I don't believe so...) I understand why you'd be offended, and yet your irateness may be exactly what the writers are trying to extract with such a character. There could be a perfectly sympathetic reason as to why Kurisu's father disowned his own daughter.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 20:28   Link #1727
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 26
T__T

I wasn't taking issue with the story, which hasn't even shown us Kurisu's father yet. I was taking issue with something you mentioned in your speculation; namely the part where you moved beyond discussing a single character in a single work of fiction and decided to characterize scientists as a whole as having a doubtful grasp of the concept of love.
__________________
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 20:53   Link #1728
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
In defense of Kurisu's father, he seems like he was a rather decent guy towards her, aside from all of his study of time travel. It looks as though the problem didn't really start between them until she got to a point in her studies where she saw the flaws in his theories consistently and shot him down because of them. We have no reason to think before that point that he wasn't a good, caring father to her.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 00:17   Link #1729
ken_FF
剱冑の理、ここに在り
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saitama, prefecture, Japan
Send a message via Yahoo to ken_FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karuroso View Post
Apparently on 16/6 was released another version of the VN for the 360 "Steins;Gate Hiyoku Renri no Darling"



the description where i found:
"The Steins Gate series is made of 99% science and 1% fantasy. But in this installment, this proportion no longer holds true. The players can have 100% of what they want. The tone becomes lighter, more like a love comedy, see what the characters are up to when they are not doing experiments and creating chaos.

The game has more events and CGs, so discover new sides of characters that are usually hidden by their tough or cheerful exteriors. Get closer to the girls by sending them random emails. The interface becomes even easier to use, so just slide into your white lab coat to start your adventure."


haha AWESOME! just looking at the description + video we can already see some good events that i wish would be animated like all the girls wearing the maid uniform or Kurisu and Okabe sharing the same bed =D
Its actually a Fan Disk, much like Chaos;haed love chuchu. It was fun playing it, and it could have been better if it had more volume. I'd just say the staff put much power on Mayuri's route and its a must-play for Mayushi fans.
__________________
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee294/harimakenji_scramble/sig_fear.jpg
ken_FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 09:52   Link #1730
Jao
panchi~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
However I'm going to also argue scientists hate to be corrected
You uh

You do know what the scientific method is right?

It's about constantly refining results and theories to better them. 'We stand on the shoulders of giants' etc.

Any scientist who finds offense in scientific criticisms of their work is at heart not a scientist.
__________________
In my world far removed from the actual
Safe in my small amorality capsule
I cruise far aloof of the other world's flaws
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Jao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 11:50   Link #1731
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jao View Post
You uh

You do know what the scientific method is right?

It's about constantly refining results and theories to better them. 'We stand on the shoulders of giants' etc.

Any scientist who finds offense in scientific criticisms of their work is at heart not a scientist.
Lol, Scientists are people not machines, so I call BS on your argument. People are jealous, they have been (according to the Bible) as long as recorded time.

Scientific method is wonderful, until your neighbor invents the ipod and you have the opportunity to steal it
__________________
My Favorite Anime Quotes Courtesy of Answerman of ANN:

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 15:33   Link #1732
Jao
panchi~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
Lol, Scientists are people not machines, so I call BS on your argument.
Excuse me? Scientists are jealous heartless gloryhounding bastards is the stereotype and it's very very Wrong. Kurisu's father is a bad scientist for not being able to accept criticism from his closest intellectual peer.
__________________
In my world far removed from the actual
Safe in my small amorality capsule
I cruise far aloof of the other world's flaws
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Jao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 18:00   Link #1733
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
No my arguement is that you said that they ''We stand on the shoulders of giants' .

Scientists are people, give them something IMPORTANT, they then revert to the humans that they are.

All scientists work for a goal, but when that goal is about to be achieved, then we see some interesting stuff happening. Contact is a good example of that. The young girl discovers it, the older man takes credit. They are both scientists working toward a common goal, but who ends up on top is the clincher. Does anyone remember who Bill Gates bought DOS from? How about the company that he stole the idea of the MOUSE?

Though calling Gates a Scientist is a bit of a stretch..hehe. Just when someone one ups you, jealousy rears it's ugly head in all walks of life and scientists are not immune.
__________________
My Favorite Anime Quotes Courtesy of Answerman of ANN:

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.

Last edited by Forbin; 2011-06-20 at 18:17.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 18:23   Link #1734
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Uhh... I don't think Kurisu's father is there for you to think scientists are cold and insensitive, but simply that Kurisu's father is cold and insensitive, not to mention really, really butthurt. Also, if he's constantly losing debates to an 18-year old, he's probably a shitty scientist.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 01:49   Link #1735
Zodiamaster
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Child prodigy, scientist, tsundere, otaku, and sort of a /b/tard.

Kurisu is da bomb.
__________________
The signature you entered contains possibly offensive language. Please change it.

Last edited by Zodiamaster; 2011-06-21 at 02:22.
Zodiamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 04:18   Link #1736
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
I forgot why does he call her Christina? Because she is half american?
__________________
My Favorite Anime Quotes Courtesy of Answerman of ANN:

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 04:41   Link #1737
ken_FF
剱冑の理、ここに在り
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saitama, prefecture, Japan
Send a message via Yahoo to ken_FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
I forgot why does he call her Christina? Because she is half american?
Okarin just likes to call people by names that came to his mind. And, Kurisu is pure Japanese
__________________
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee294/harimakenji_scramble/sig_fear.jpg
ken_FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 06:50   Link #1738
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 346Pro
Age: 32
Argh. The BD better fix that scene up proper! Or somebody shall face the wrath of STEINS;GATE!!
__________________
白露型駆逐艦の4番艦、夕立です。第三次ソロモン海戦では、けっこう頑張ったっぽい★?
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 11:27   Link #1739
Elestia
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Spoiler for Speaking of Quality:


Can you spot the difference? わけわかめ!!!
Elestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 11:41   Link #1740
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
Spoiler for Speaking of Quality:


Can you spot the difference? わけわかめ!!!
Omelette on the platter is in a different position and so is the cutlery.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, mystery, science fiction, seinen, time travel, trap, visual novel adaptation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.