AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Steins;Gate

Notices

Old 2011-06-21, 17:37   Link #1781
Crontica

Let me introduce the Shining Middle Finger on the day the Tuturu was silenced.
Old 2011-06-21, 17:39   Link #1782
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Wow... that was quite the "rape the dog" moment. The obvious question is "WTF WHY?!", which makes me really wonder what "for FB" means.

Not going to comment on whether the flags were too obvious because I had accidentally spoiled myself fairly early on, but I was not expecting the event itself to play out as it did or appear so completely senseless.

Edit: Also, loved the Mayuri with lightsaber moment but it kind of got overshadowed.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 17:50   Link #1783
Crontica

We all expected her to get jellified so yeah...

Ok if you guys have rewatched the OP:

Will the various time travelers clash against each other creating a nigh unsolvable puzzle? That would mean the Timelines are reversible or appear to be reversible for now, the liner momentum stays until a better time machine is made.
Old 2011-06-21, 17:51   Link #1784
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki View Post
Please put all episode information under spoilers!
Why? It's subbed already and the rules are once subbed, it's FFA
And how many of you thought that girl was Suzu for about 15 seconds.

And NOW I finally understand how they are 'compressing' a brain into 18 chars....they AREN'T! Hahaha

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 17:53   Link #1785
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
That was an excellent episode, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

That being said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Shit. Got. REAL.

Months ago, a certain poster have opened a thread trying to discuss "expected vs unexpected", basically a story where you could see things coming a mile away vs one filled to the brim with plot twists. The problem is that this poster kept throwing his weight around by telling everyone that the latter will always be better than the former., and that those arguing otherwise are idiots, even if they kept saying that all is in the execution.

This episode is the big middle finger to that guy.
No, it's not.

The events of this episode may not have been plot twists, per se, but I also wouldn't call them plot events that you could "see from a mile away".

I really don't get the attitude of people who are always against plot twists, and who defend plot predictability. Total plot predictability is dull and boring, regardless of execution, imo. Having a few surprises along the way makes things much more interesting, in my opinion, and I truly don't get why people would argue in favor of a narrative with no surprises whatsoever.

Even if what happened to Mayuri here is not terribly surprising, the way it all went down is a bit surprising, imo, and adds greatly to the effectiveness of this episode. So I don't think this episode supports your stance at all.
Old 2011-06-21, 18:02   Link #1786
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
*snip*
I am at loss of words here, those who defends that stance don't do it because they think that this is better than the other. They were keeping telling "him" that it is NOT bad as he made it to be.

Quote:
So I don't think this episode supports your stance at all.
Oh it does. I don"t know why you missed the "execution and delivery" part. A bad predicable plot and a good predicable plot have a difference. It's the diference between sailing from London to New York while the ocean is all calm and the journey have no incident; and sailing from London to New York and still making it to the final destination after six storms, starvation and a sailor mutiny and diseases striking the crew.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 18:06   Link #1787
Crontica

Plot twists ain't bad, but they can only shine when the execution is done right otherwise you get asspulls.
Old 2011-06-21, 18:07   Link #1788
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I am at loss of words here, those who defends that stance don't do it because they think that this is better than the other. They were keeping telling "him" that it is NOT bad as he made it to be.

Oh it does. I don"t know why you missed the "execution and delivery" part.
I didn't "miss" anything, Sheba.

I simply disagree with you.

I think that a complete lack of surprises in an anime narrative of significant length (a cour or longer) is genuinely bad. It's not good, in my view, for everything to be predictable. Regardless of how a story is executed, I don't want to be able to predict everything that happens. That's dull and boring, imo.

That has nothing to do with Steins;Gate.

Steins;Gate has had surprising plot twists already, imo. For example, how Akihabara was de-otakued. A lot of viewers (including myself) seemed surprised by that, and it made for one of the best scenes in this anime so far, imo.
Old 2011-06-21, 18:17   Link #1789
ken_FF
剱冑の理、ここに在り

Send a message via Yahoo to ken_FF
This episode's OkaKuri was great (o^_^o)

From top right to bottom left:
A kiss to hand - Respect
A kiss to temple - Friendship?
A kiss to cheeks - Courtesy
A kiss to eyelid - Admiration
A kiss to palm - plead
A kiss to arms and neck - lust
A kiss to lips - love
And kiss to places other than those - madness ;P

Last edited by ken_FF; 2011-06-21 at 18:52.
ken_FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 18:22   Link #1790
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

You know they are 'glossing over' the most BS item here.

I'm good with a machine that can time travel
I'm good with a LHC generating a black hole.
but a Machine that can READ your 4TB Mind and then echo it BACK? Isn't that basically brainwashing. What the heck is this? PAYBACK the movie?

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 18:26   Link #1791
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

my god, how dare Moeka kill Mayuri, all in the name of facebook. At least we know her true identity now, she always was suspicious. Could Suzuha have been wrong that Kurisu was the spy instead of Moeka because the shift in world lines? Enjoyed the awkwardness of Okarin and Kurisu conversation when she blushed and was flustered. Didn't think he wouldn't go through with the experiment though.
Old 2011-06-21, 18:28   Link #1792
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

FB is the big unknown, is it a SERN sub-division, a group of sympathizers related to SERN, or the initial letter of someone else? I mean, the team looked more like activists a la Twelve Monkeys than paramilitaries going SWAT all over the protagonists.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 18:31   Link #1793
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think that a complete lack of surprises in an anime narrative of significant length (a cour or longer) is genuinely bad. It's not good, in my view, for everything to be predictable. Regardless of how a story is executed, I don't want to be able to predict everything that happens. That's dull and boring, imo.
Well first of all I don't know what each of you guys refer to as surprises or twists, etc.

A twist is something that misleads you into thinking A when really it's B that happens. A surprise can be a twist, but it's more generally anything that's unexpected.

Not all series need twists. Does a series at least need some surprises to keep the audience entertained?

I would actually venture to say not exactly. Most series such as Steins;Gate heavily foreshadow events before they happen, so it is already expected. Mayuri's death in this episode wasn't the least bit surprising, but was the scene enjoyable? Hell yes. That's due to execution, great directing.

However, this is not to say that you can't effectively execute surprises in manners that can really rile up the audience into a frenzy. It's the result of constructing surprises that are both believable, but at the same time draws upon things earlier in the series. Because if things just always come out of nowhere, then it doesn't do much good.

Basically, the most essential element is always execution. Surprises can be nice, but are not necessary for a good or entertaining plot.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 18:31   Link #1794
Elestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
You know they are 'glossing over' the most BS item here.

I'm good with a machine that can time travel
I'm good with a LHC generating a black hole.
but a Machine that can READ your 4TB Mind and then echo it BACK? Isn't that basically brainwashing. What the heck is this? PAYBACK the movie?
Didn't Makise say they were going to the use the power of the LHC to create a mini-blackhole and utilize it to compress the memories infinitesmally smaller?
Elestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 18:35   Link #1795
velderia
Former NEET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
my god, how dare Moeka kill Mayuri, all in the name of facebook.
ROFL

Quote:
At least we know her true identity now, she always was suspicious. Could Suzuha have been wrong that Kurisu was the spy instead of Moeka because the shift in world lines? Enjoyed the awkwardness of Okarin and Kurisu conversation when she blushed and was flustered. Didn't think he wouldn't go through with the experiment though.
My theory is that Moeka was brainwashed. Her face looked different and she looked hesitant to kill Mayuri, and I found it interesting that Suzuha told everyone that Kurisu was going to be a SERN spy, even though it's relatively obvious that she has no intention of betraying all of the other lab members. If Moeka wanted the time machine so bad earlier, I think she would of busted in sooner, but in the beginning she looked pretty paranoid and vunerable.

But yeah, I'm pretty damn upset that Mayuri died. She was just slowly becoming one of my favorite characters. There isn't a lot of nice, social, bubbly female characters that I can really relate to like Mayuri.
Old 2011-06-21, 18:35   Link #1796
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_FF View Post
This episode's OkaKuri was great (o^_^o)

From top right to bottom left:
A kiss to hand - Respect
A kiss to temple - Friendship?
A kiss to cheeks - Courtesy
A kiss to eyelid - Admiration
A kiss to palm - plead
A kiss to arms and neck - lust
And kiss to places other than those - madness ;P
You missed:

If on the lips, love.

Funny picture.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 18:38   Link #1797
ken_FF
剱冑の理、ここに在り

Send a message via Yahoo to ken_FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy.Tear View Post
You missed:

If on the lips, love.

Funny picture.
Thanks! 
Old 2011-06-21, 18:39   Link #1798
Elestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by velderia View Post
ROFL

My theory is that Moeka was brainwashed.(
Oh god. I just had an image of Suzuha mounting Moeka to check for a chip in her eyes, just like she did for Okabe. Darn yuri-goggles!
Elestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 18:41   Link #1799
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Quote:
FB is the big unknown, is it a SERN sub-division, a group of sympathizers related to SERN, or the initial letter of someone else? I mean, the team looked more like activists a la Twelve Monkeys than paramilitaries going SWAT all over the protagonists.
My bet is that FB is probably a higher up of SERN who Moeka serves directly under. FB might be the person's initials, or a codename. Maybe its something different, but either way, I think we'll find out soon enough.
Old 2011-06-21, 18:43   Link #1800
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by velderia View Post
ROFL

*snips*
Former episodes tends to disprove the brainwashing theory. She either willingly worked for them, or she have been threatened into doing it, or she was promised a reward like a new cellhpone! (joking about that one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
My bet is that FB is probably a higher up of SERN who Moeka serves directly under. FB might be the person's initials, or a codename. Maybe its something different, but either way, I think we'll find out soon enough.

You know, the first guy with FB as initial letters that came in my mind was.... Fabien Barthez

Tags
drama, mystery, science fiction, seinen, time travel, trap, visual novel adaptation