AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-07-07, 13:24   Link #41
nojay
Scanlator

I wonder if the Japanese government is paying anime studios to do all these "ain't the countryside wonderful? Wouldn't you like to leave the big city and go and live and work there?" series like Non Non Biyori and Barakamon and earlier, Kamichu!
Old 2014-07-07, 14:19   Link #42
cyth
Banned

Not live, just visit. Anime industry has proven to be an effective tool for tourism promotion, since otaku tend to have money to spend (waste). But some production committees have become completely shameless in doing so, announcing their plans for tourist exploitation well before there's any anime to speak of.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-07, 14:31   Link #43
ices
Working Hard

Love the first episode. Would follow this series.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-07, 20:06   Link #44
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
There's more of a Yotsuba vibe than Usagi Drop. The little noisy brat will sure keep things entertaining.
Thank you, that answered the nagging doubt in my mind on what exactly I found so familiar about Barakamon's tone, but couldn't quite pin to Usagi Drops entirely. The kid's a shoo-in for Yotsuba, and the show itself feels more like a hybrid of those two.

Really enjoyed the first episode, and not just because this kind of show comes around rarely enough as is.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-08, 01:26   Link #45
sorryforlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
There's more of a Yotsuba vibe than Usagi Drop. The little noisy brat will sure keep things entertaining.
Yeah it's Yotsuba with an island setting, though the kids are a little rowdier in Barakamon. Loving the show so far.
Old 2014-07-08, 09:45   Link #46
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
I loved every minute of it. Naru was beyond adorable, and her interactions with Handa was really cute.
Cloudedmind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-08, 10:18   Link #47
whitecloud

comparison between anime and reality...

Spoiler for picture:

Spoiler for picture:

Spoiler for picture:

Spoiler for picture:

its not as desolated as it looks in anime....
Old 2014-07-08, 10:38   Link #48
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 1

This was a extremely charming premiere from start to finish. It's really nice to watch something this relaxing every now and then,
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-08, 19:13   Link #49
XLNC

With many of the currently airing anime having gore, violence, and death (Tokyo Ghoul, Akame ga Kill, Aldnoah.Zero, etc), it's really nice for this season to have that balancing factor of soul-healing anime. Barakamon does the trick so well in spite of the backdrop of currently airing edgy anime.
XLNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-10, 06:59   Link #50
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

That was better than I expected. I really enjoyed the first episode. It somehow has an atmosphere a lot of anime, including slice of life ones, are lacking. Maybe because it feels somehow more realistic than idealistic.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-11, 19:27   Link #51
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

I put the blame fully on a certain white Bun and her tweet about how hot Handa is, for the reason of me being here and watching this show.

But I totally am glad I did. I was going to skip this series entirely since I didn't think it would be interesting based on the summary. I think what really got me hooked was Naru's absolutely adorableness!!! She totally stole the show in the first episode for me, and I'm going to continue with this series because of her! (...and Handa's hotness...shhhh).

Very enjoyable first episode...and that ending with the soup was hilarious!

[/TH][/TR][/table]

Last edited by PreSage; 2014-07-11 at 22:59.
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-11, 20:47   Link #52
jdennis007

Definitely one of the better shows this season, like the mix of comedy and cuteness.
Old 2014-07-12, 04:36   Link #53
mistress_kisara

Ono Daisuke and Hara Suzuko in Barakamon radio

mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 09:06   Link #54
sikvod00

^Too adorable....
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 13:18   Link #55
Itlandm
Porcupine

Pretty cute. And yeah, life in the countryside sure is different. He still has a lot to discover!

Of course, now that the village elder knows he is insane, things may turn out a little different. That was quite a cliffhanger.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 15:06   Link #56
sikvod00

To be perfectly honest episode 2 just wasn't nearly as enjoyable as the premiere.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 15:39   Link #57
Jehuty

Can't believe I kept on putting this series off.

I haven't so thoroughly enjoyed a series that didn't involve action or suspense in a long, long time.

This is like Usagi Drop and Moyashimon (country side experiences) mixed in together. Maybe a bit of Silver Spoon?

hmm... Still! I am committing to this series. Looking forward to ep 3!
Old 2014-07-12, 16:20   Link #58
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
To be perfectly honest episode 2 just wasn't nearly as enjoyable as the premiere.
Perhaps not nearly as enjoyable, but still extremely good in my opinion. For me the main difference was the pace and the more "fluid-like" animation that both contributed to getting across the harried, tense feeling Handa was going through in response to Naru and the girls visits.

It is interesting how it seems as if the default sensory pace Handa is used to is fast and frantic, and so he has to consciously exercise effort to focus and slow down when trying to create things artistically. But the pace of the islanders (especially shown in ep 1) is much slower.

Handa is also used to a default expectation of people respecting boundaries at a certain level, but the islanders have far smaller parameters, and not only does Handa actually does not know how to interact with it, but the islanders have a difficult time understanding what he is going through because they are so used to being open and straightforward (even to what many of us would call downright rudeness).

Someone mentioned how this reminded them of some other series. I think general theme wise Silver Spoon would be closer. The dynamic between Handa and Naru thus far is a bit like Usagi Drop, though there are huge differences, and Naru herself is kinda like Yotsuba of manga fame. But the last two are just broad generalized references in my opinion (though not necessarily wrong).

By the way, for any who have actually met people like Handa (and I have) the character sketch of him is picture perfect spot on. Very well done!
Old 2014-07-12, 21:37   Link #59
MCAL

This show is quite hilarious indeed. I'm trying to figure out what was the best part.

I heard they rushed here, but to be honest it was so well executed, it wasn't that much of a loss. Rushing doesn't necessarily make something bad.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 21:43   Link #60
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Naru's actress is adorable!

It's really sweet that OnoD took her under his belt.

As for this episode...I like Hiroshi but if those girls were in the States basically crashing at some house that someone lived in, they'd get the cops called on them faster than Naru crashing thru Handa's pad.

It wasn't as good as the first episode, but this has me sold for the rest of the season. Of course, I love the manga too so I'm a wee bit prejudiced.

Tags
slice of life