AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-16, 19:29   Link #1201
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
You have two waves: The spread-out, few episodes at a time with a few bonuses, stringing along the Got-To-Have-It-All-More-Money-Than-Patience people, and then followed up later with box sets for more casual fans.

It's called "maximizing profit". I'm not sure if it's unethical or not.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 20:09   Link #1202
Nergol

Quote:
Hmmm, perhaps the DVDs are going to be packed with bonus material or blooper reels....
My old college roommate is the son of someone high up at Pixar. As he tells it, computer animation technology changes so fast that before each new movie, the animators like to do what's called a "ramp-up project"; a short film done to get the animators really fluent in using the new equipment and software.

So when Pixar was getting ready to do Toy Story II, the animators came up with the idea that as a ramp-up project, they'd animate the voice blooper reel from the original Toy Story.

The full ramp-up project that animated the entire blooper reel will, however, never see the light of day, as some of Tim Allen's bloopers, while hilarious, are very very much not family material...
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 20:09   Link #1203
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Like rg4619 said, the 2 episode/disk format itself is not uncommon, but that's generally limited to short 1-cours series (like Haruhi). For a 24 episode series, 3 episode/disk is the more common scheme.

Having to buy 12 DVDs (especially if the price remains "normal" in the 5,000-6,000 yen range) to collect the whole series is quite a hard task even for the most devoted otakus.

One thing to realize is that many Japanese otakus watch their animes recorded (for many of them, it's impossible to stay up until the wee hours just to catch their show), so for a lot of them, buying the DVDs is simply another act of collection, as well as a way of supporting the makers. So for some, it doesn't really matter how many episodes there are on a disk. The more important question would be "how many people out there are willing to pony up their money to collect this?"

Simply put, it's milking. But hey, without it we wouldn't have animes.

Just think of it as an investment towards making CLANNAD better or something.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 20:24   Link #1204
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
11 Volumes for Shuffle equates to an 11.5:2 or roughly 6:1 ratio which is just as bad as FLCL. It's quite common I would imagine and each DVD is often way more expensive than the U.S counterpart. That magic 6:1 number keeps popping up so its probably an industry standard to organize it that way.
I'm 99% sure Shuffle was actually 12 volumes, so it was still 6:1.
Old 2007-04-16, 22:56   Link #1205
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
I'm 99% sure Shuffle was actually 12 volumes, so it was still 6:1.
Yup, exactly. And that's the key -- it's published by Kadokawa. Lucky Star has the same release structure as Shuffle, Karin, Canvas 2, and Mamoru-kun, among other Kadokawa-published 24-episode shows in recent memory. Kadokawa's last two Kyoto Animation projects (Haruhi and FMP:TSR) were also spread over a lot of discs.

So, Toua, it's simply because Kanon was published by Pony Canyon, who chose to release it on 8 DVDs. Kadokawa paid for Lucky Star, and they decided to use their 12-disc pattern. Kyoto Animation doesn't really have anything to do with it, so probably no sense in being disappointed in them.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 23:03   Link #1206
krln99

Getting back to the anime itself, who's your favorite character so far? I like Kona the best, because she essentially drives each scene with her bizarre behavior. However, I have a soft spot for Tsukasa, who is easily the cutest.
krln99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 23:04   Link #1207
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Yup, exactly. And that's the key -- it's published by Kadokawa. Lucky Star has the same release structure as Shuffle, Karin, Canvas 2, and Mamoru-kun, among other Kadokawa-published 24-episode shows in recent memory. Kadokawa's last two Kyoto Animation projects (Haruhi and FMP:TSR) were also spread over a lot of discs.

So, Toua, it's simply because Kanon was published by Pony Canyon, who chose to release it on 8 DVDs. Kadokawa paid for Lucky Star, and they decided to use their 12-disc pattern. Kyoto Animation doesn't really have anything to do with it, so probably no sense in being disappointed in them.
And no offense, but why do we care? Does anyone actually plan on buying the R2s in this thread? Actually, I'd be curious... Who is planning on buying the R2 dvds, or, for that matter, would even consider it at this point?
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 23:19   Link #1208
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
And no offense, but why do we care? Does anyone actually plan on buying the R2s in this thread? Actually, I'd be curious... Who is planning on buying the R2 dvds, or, for that matter, would even consider it at this point?
Is this a general question about purchasing R2 titles? Or are you asking about Lucky Star DVD's in particular? There are people actively posting in this thread who collect R2 DVD's. Many live in Region 2. There are people here who like what they've seen to date from Lucky Star. I wouldn't do it, as I don't have a compatible player, but I imagine several people here would.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 23:27   Link #1209
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post
Is this a general question about purchasing R2 titles? Or are you asking about Lucky Star DVD's in particular? There are people actively posting in this thread who collect R2 DVD's. Many live in Region 2. There are people here who like what they've seen to date from Lucky Star. I wouldn't do it, as I don't have a compatible player, but I imagine several people here would.
Yup, actually -- I might. I bought 5 out of the 6 other Kadokawa shows I mentioned in the last post on R2 DVD. But the fact that Kadokawa is now actively working on bringing their titles in R1 is a sway in the other direction. If I think it's a sure bet to be licensed/released in R1, then I'm less likely to buy the R2s, of course. We'll see...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 23:29   Link #1210
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
I meant the lucky star DVDs in particular. I'd only consider buying them if I lived in japan, which I don't. Although, actually, I WILL be moving there in the fall, so I might have to rethink my stance on the subject. Well, who am I kidding, I don't have that kind of money .
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 23:29   Link #1211
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by krln99 View Post
Getting back to the anime itself, who's your favorite character so far? I like Kona the best, because she essentially drives each scene with her bizarre behavior. However, I have a soft spot for Tsukasa, who is easily the cutest.
I've noticed a fair amount of Kagami fan art. I think she's shaping up to be the series' sex symbol. I'm sure she and Konata will get plenty of unhealthy attention when C72 roles around.

Last edited by Maids! Maids! Maids!; 2007-04-16 at 23:32. Reason: Replace missing word. :)
Old 2007-04-16, 23:42   Link #1212
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I meant the lucky star DVDs in particular. I'd only consider buying them if I lived in japan, which I don't. Although, actually, I WILL be moving there in the fall, so I might have to rethink my stance on the subject. Well, who am I kidding, I don't have that kind of money .
Once you're local, check the used shops a few weeks/months after the full set is out. Buyer's remorse, or lack of funds inducing a resell hits a lot of otaku just like it does any one else, so good deals can be found if you're willing to wait and then search a bit.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 23:50   Link #1213
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Wow, this show is so pointless, yet I am hypnotized and watch the entire episode with a yearning for more..
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 23:53   Link #1214
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
In the online game that Konata plays, is it true that Konata . . .
Spoiler:

Just who is the missing guy in the game that the people who play it can't find? Konata says that he is always online and never logged off, from ep. 01?
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 23:55   Link #1215
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
I've noticed a fair amount of Kagami fan art. I think she's shaping up to be the series' sex symbol. I'm sure she and Konata will get plenty of unhealthy attention when C72 roles around.
Tsundere-like behavior and pigtails is a killer combo.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 00:42   Link #1216
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
Wow, this show is so pointless, yet I am hypnotized and watch the entire episode with a yearning for more..
There's an old Hollywood formula that involves placing ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. I often prefer seeing extraordinary or eccentric, funny people in ordinary circumstances. And there is a point to it. You focus on character, dialog, and form instead of plot, and that can be a lot of fun.

When I watched the first episode of Lucky Star, I was reminded of a notorious scene from Haruhi. I liked it a lot, although it didn't go over well with 4chan's anonymous (which just made me like it more). It was the scene with Yuki sitting by herself, just reading and listening to the radio. Absolutely nothing happened. I can't recall if Yuki even moved. But we got a pretty good idea of what Yuki's life was like when the gang wasn't around and a ton of in-jokes from the radio -- most of which went over my head.

Kyoto Animation seems to have a perverse, healthy fascination with the banal, and I really, really like it. Although I doubt Lucky Star will ever get quite as extreme as the Yuki scene, we'll probably get a lot of nothing and a lot of in-jokes -- many of which will go over my head.

Last edited by Maids! Maids! Maids!; 2007-04-17 at 00:54.
Old 2007-04-17, 01:16   Link #1217
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@maids: bingo --- nice summation of the sort of stuff that I find fascinating.

@princess of hell ---
Spoiler:

Konata is "teh w1n" ... and Kagami is a wonderful complement.
Old 2007-04-17, 02:00   Link #1218
Question
Crossdresser

Old 2007-04-17, 02:21   Link #1219
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
I've noticed a fair amount of Kagami fan art.
I'll try to bring a bit of Miyuki love a bit later.

Like, a bit more than a week later probably.
Old 2007-04-17, 02:43   Link #1220
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
That's the kind of question that will start a riot. We're trying to come together, not divide each other like Republicans there Sousuke.

That's the theme of 2007, bridging the gap between fanbases and demographics with catch-all series and I think right now just about every series is doing a fairly good job. I'd be hard pressed to think of anything I didn't want to watch just as much as the next series.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen