Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-08, 06:47   Link #181
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Goblin Slayer Anime Listed With 12 Episodes

<facepalm>

Hopefully, there won't much rushing in the adaptation...
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 07:24   Link #182
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
Well she isn't your average heal bot. She can AoE blind her foes. Pretty good reason to have her into his group. Will make the whole slaying goblins even more easier than usual.

Plus who doesn't like having a white mage tag along? Even in PvP MoBA game, players prefer a heal bot following them forever.
Another thing I liked about her is she isn't an unlimited heal machine. Being able to use skills only three times a day highlights the fact that she's a rookie, and it adds pressure on decision making during adventures... do we use skills to heal or blinding enemies? Goblin Slayer is a pro, he has potions for healing.. so he just used all the remaining priest skills for temp blinding their enemies.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 07:26   Link #183
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Having read only the first few chapters, episode 1 was...well, exactly the way I remember ch.1: graphic enough to make me consider quitting it. Thankfully, it gets better afterwards, and the plot gets quite interesting. Now, about the first episode...

Team NOOB wasn't underqualified for the job. They had a solid party that could have made short work of any small goblin group. Thing is, there is a series of very, very rational miscalculations:

- It was NOT a small group, there were 23 whole flippin' goblins, plus their kids (GS killed 22 and another six or so that the adventurers took down).
- One of which was a hobgoblin, and another one was a shaman, clearly not noob-friendly. They could have killed them both, if pitted against the magician and monk respectively, but it would have been hard even then. I doubt anyone besides GS would have seen that coming.
- The fighter had no swinging room and no daggers packed.
- The goblins used poison. Even the biggest dick of a DM wouldn't do that for a first encounter. People expect goblins to be stupid, mixing and applying poison is far from it.

Of course, the party did underestimate goblins in general, and had a messed up formation, AND basically split up for no reason. They had no money for potions, so I can't hold that out against them, and this was the most basic job they could get, so they weren't totally in over their heads. GS has obviously had a great deal of experience with goblins before, which is why he could take down 17 goblins solo. After all that, I certainly wouldn't blame the guild for any loss (since that seems to be a hot topic), and following this incident, people could always blame it on the adventure party being stupid and keep sending newbies to their deaths. I do hate the priestess though. She's the most timid person in the party, and after THAT experience, she goes goblin hunting, AGAIN!?

About GS exterminating goblin children: without addressing the plot, only a fool lets a cub grow into a tiger and bite him in the ass. Plus, goblins have a very high reproduction (and probably growth) rate, so it's like letting baby cockroaches survive and then have to face a swarm next week. A swarm that knows you killed its parents, so yeeeah...

About the technical aspects of the episode: it was rather fitting, the animation, the VAs and the score all felt appropriate for this kind of show. I look forward to the rest of it.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 07:56   Link #184
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I think that falls under the category of "Show, Don't Tell". Ideally, you want to explain characters motivations pretty clearly unless there's a good reason not to.

Personally, I was just amazed that she even wanted to still be an Adventurer after what must have been a traumatic experience. Did the episode even explain why she wanted to be an adventurer in the first place? I can't remember. Another potential point for the second episode to cover.
Show, Don't Tell" doesn't apply to your complaint. Your complaint is that you aren't being "told" what happened. In fact, you could say that the anime is doing a "Show, Don't Tell" here.

The Priestess "finished her training and decided to help adventures in need". I imagine it is a pretty standard thing. After all, she isn't a simple priest but someone with the literal power of God. It's a bit silly for her to just sit around and pray all day.

The conversation between the two probably went something like this. Although, I don't think it has never been said.

Priestess: Excuse me!!
Goblin Slayer: ...
Priestess: I'd like to join your party *bows*
Goblin Slayer: I see
Priestess: ...
Goblin Slayer: ...
Priestess: *looks up thinking she has been rejected*
Goblin Slayer: Chainmail
Priestess: Huh?
Goblin Slayer: Buy chainmail for tomorrow morning
Priestess: *surprised look followed by a happy one* Yes!
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 08:52   Link #185
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Another thing I liked about her is she isn't an unlimited heal machine. Being able to use skills only three times a day highlights the fact that she's a rookie, and it adds pressure on decision making during adventures... do we use skills to heal or blinding enemies? Goblin Slayer is a pro, he has potions for healing.. so he just used all the remaining priest skills for temp blinding their enemies.
That and Heal doesn't fix poisoning. It only closes minor wounds. That's why Wizard begged to be put down since the poison had time to spread since they didn't bring an antidote. She's a fresh adventurer but having three casts is a big deal considering most get one or two (Wizard was considered exceptional for her age for being able to cast Firebolt twice), and she wants to do as much good as she can, which means dealing with the biggest problem on the frontier. And that's Goblins.

Last edited by Twi; 2018-10-08 at 09:04.
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 09:03   Link #186
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Team NOOB wasn't underqualified for the job. They had a solid party that could have made short work of any small goblin group. Thing is, there is a series of very, very rational miscalculations:

- It was NOT a small group, there were 23 whole flippin' goblins, plus their kids (GS killed 22 and another six or so that the adventurers took down).
- One of which was a hobgoblin, and another one was a shaman, clearly not noob-friendly. They could have killed them both, if pitted against the magician and monk respectively, but it would have been hard even then. I doubt anyone besides GS would have seen that coming.
- The fighter had no swinging room and no daggers packed.
- The goblins used poison. Even the biggest dick of a DM wouldn't do that for a first encounter. People expect goblins to be stupid, mixing and applying poison is far from it.

Of course, the party did underestimate goblins in general, and had a messed up formation, AND basically split up for no reason.
They possibly could have pulled it off if the fighter would have let the monk fight with him so she could at least take some of the aggro off him. But yeah...basically not paying attention got them killed.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 09:17   Link #187
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
They possibly could have pulled it off if the fighter would have let the monk fight with him so she could at least take some of the aggro off him. But yeah...basically not paying attention got them killed.
They were shell shocked, and demoralized. Another clear noob miscalculation. It was obviously lacking in veterans, if you read the other sources, they also would have had a backstory to each member.

Even if they had the perfect plan, I doubt it would have lasted much longer given the total lack of mental fortitude. Notice it was more or less completely over with deer in headlights after the first goblin death. They were too in awe basking in their temporary glory of killing a single goblin, and got what was coming to them in the form of a counterattack. (goblins don't stop fighting just because you did a killing blow).

The blame on the guild is both adapt and not. The guild is not an institution on even a trade level it seems. There is no instructions, no introduction, no training material.

The guild as portrays is more like a broker aka middle man. Or a brutal form of "Hello Work".

If the guild was institutionalized like a trade group of a more realistic concept. They would have mentorship, and apprenticeship, etc. You would never get a fresh batch of newbies going out alone.
kukuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 09:20   Link #188
Side-streetdog

Wow 10 pages, I can't even read all the comments
Anime looks good, sadly it seem they can't find a time for some background story for noobs party
Which would let us feel more relate with them.
It would be great if just made they look like protagonist group like Ga-rei zero.
But it also fine like for it goes like this

GS voice a little too adult for what I had imagine his voice to be
Since he is childhood friend with farm girl he shouldn't be more than 30

Well, for now I will just wait and see where this anime going
Old 2018-10-08, 09:34   Link #189
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
They'd still have trouble with the hobgoblin, only the mage could possibly take that one down, and that would still leave the goblin shaman free. Considering the amount of goblins around him, he'd have plenty of time to do...whatever a shaman can do.
Old 2018-10-08, 09:50   Link #190
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I think that falls under the category of "Show, Don't Tell". Ideally, you want to explain characters motivations pretty clearly unless there's a good reason not to.

Personally, I was just amazed that she even wanted to still be an Adventurer after what must have been a traumatic experience. Did the episode even explain why she wanted to be an adventurer in the first place? I can't remember. Another potential point for the second episode to cover.
I see, but for me, I actually prefer to see the aftermath of that cave battle instead of having Priestess and GS having a chit-chat.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 10:31   Link #191
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
I do hate the priestess though. She's the most timid person in the party, and after THAT experience, she goes goblin hunting, AGAIN!?
What's wrong with that? She knows the risks now, so this shows she is actually quite strong mentally and dedicated to helping others. She also isn't dumb, since she's teaming up with GS who is an expert. Lastly, it's not like she's dead weight, she was able to be quite useful to GS thanks to his guidance.

And she probably wants to repay GS for saving her life too.
Old 2018-10-08, 10:46   Link #192
Tenzen12

I don't think we need know her reasons know. Why did Priestess decide continue adventuring and especially tag along to goblin slaying should became more clear once she learn more about her as person and given how suspicious and oddball GB is she should get asked lot about it anyway.
Old 2018-10-08, 11:29   Link #193
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
They'd still have trouble with the hobgoblin, only the mage could possibly take that one down, and that would still leave the goblin shaman free. Considering the amount of goblins around him, he'd have plenty of time to do...whatever a shaman can do.
Something we never get to see, but at the very least I would expect heals and combat buffs (I recall goblin shamans in the Torchlight games actually resurrecting their fallen kin, but I doubt that's the case here). Also - the idea of the goblins adapting was covered earlier; we actually see something of it here: the shaman being aware that adventurers will attempt to exploit goblins' photosensitivity could explain the hood. Being unable to see would probably be mitigated by having a pack of his fellows between him and the enemy, and much of his spell portfolio might not require fine aim.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 12:07   Link #194
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
Show, Don't Tell" doesn't apply to your complaint. Your complaint is that you aren't being "told" what happened. In fact, you could say that the anime is doing a "Show, Don't Tell" here.
In hindsight it's actually neither. We were neither shown her motivations nor told them.

Again, a potential point further down the line. I personally think it would be really cool if she actually develops into a strong character. I find her and her potential more interesting than Goblin Slayer. XP
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 12:10   Link #195
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
What's wrong with that? She knows the risks now, so this shows she is actually quite strong mentally and dedicated to helping others. She also isn't dumb, since she's teaming up with GS who is an expert. Lastly, it's not like she's dead weight, she was able to be quite useful to GS thanks to his guidance.

And she probably wants to repay GS for saving her life too.
It's not wrong, but it is out of place. A 15 year-old priestess experiences a near-wipe in one of the worst possible ways during her very first sortie, that's traumatizing shit right there. I'm not judging her character, but smiling as you go goblin hunting the very next day is rather hard to believe.
Old 2018-10-08, 12:45   Link #196
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

Quote:
It's not wrong, but it is out of place. A 15 year-old priestess experiences a near-wipe in one of the worst possible ways during her very first sortie, that's traumatizing shit right there. I'm not judging her character, but smiling as you go goblin hunting the very next day is rather hard to believe.
Smiling is her way of coping. And hunting goblins, the very monsters that hurt her so badly, could be her way of overcoming said trauma.

And who better to do it with then the very man who saved her from said situation?
Old 2018-10-08, 12:54   Link #197
Dark Wing

I ended up reading the manga chapters that had been adapted into this episode and the destruction of the rookies is even more gut wrenching. You are shown the backstories and motivations of these rookies as their party is being decimated.
Old 2018-10-08, 13:00   Link #198
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I ended up reading the manga chapters that had been adapted into this episode and the destruction of the rookies is even more gut wrenching. You are shown the backstories and motivations of these rookies as their party is being decimated.
Meh. Giving us flashbacks right before a character's death is pretty cheap.
Old 2018-10-08, 13:11   Link #199
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Those flashbacks sort of messed with the flow of the entire sequence, not to mention they were too much of a hamfisted attempt to make us feel bad for them.
Old 2018-10-08, 13:31   Link #200
Theo

Goblin Slayer's true revenge only comes if he asserts his dominance over the tribes by raping the goblin leaders.

Get on that, Slayer.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy