AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-02-11, 00:41   Link #61
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindialai View Post
Konjiki no Gash Bell to Zatch Bell.... why oh why do you freakin change the names.
GASH:
1. a long, deep wound or cut; slash.

oh common can't we handle that... do we need change all the characters name to English names too because it's too hard for North Americans to pronounce.... instead of Gash lets just leave it to Peter and Paul and Bob... Bob Bell...
Gash is also slang for a certain part of the female anatomy. (UD)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 13:50   Link #62
-Breakthrough-

Quote:
Gash is also slang for a certain part of the female anatomy. (UD)
They could have at least named it something else than Gash XD Anything is better than Zatch in my opinion. Plus why mamono/demon to mamodo?

CN has shown Yu Yu Hakasho in old Toonami which associated a lot with demons so why?
-Breakthrough- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 18:37   Link #63
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I'm adding Nymphet to this list now.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 19:34   Link #64
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I'm adding Nymphet to this list now.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...563#post827563

lol.

Don't worry, I've done that a few times myself.
Old 2007-02-13, 23:30   Link #65
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Ill go to war over that one and when i find the guinness who thought that changing the name to Rumbling Hearts was a good idea im going beat him with a large stick.
A beer as good as Guinness should never be beaten with a large stick.
Old 2009-08-08, 05:21   Link #66
Oppius
Banned

Alternative manga titles - it's dumb

I really don't know why some mangas in my country(Malaysia) are changed completely. Maybe they were licensed by that names instead of the real ones. I found some alternate titles are funny and dumb at same time. They are too many to be listed here but I can show some of it.

PS: My English isn't very good.

1. One Piece - Budak Getah(Rubber Boy)
2. Dragon Ball - Mutiara Naga(Dragon Pearl)
3. Rurouni Kenshin - Satria Pedang(Knight with Sword)
4. Dragon Quest - Misteri Naga(Dragon Mystery)
5. Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - Penjelajah Jojo(Jojo the Explorer)
6. Kotaro Makaritoru - Pakar Judo(Judo Expert)

Spoiler for Photographic evidence:

Which one I should blame? The distributor or government?
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 07:53   Link #67
brocko

Hm... It's been over two years before the thread got revived. Can anyone come up with anymore to add to the list or have the companies finally gotten the message now?

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 08:10   Link #68
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Actually, it seems a mod merge a new topic by Oppius with the relevant old one. Don't worry, I regularly make that mistake too.

As for the topic itself, I don't recall any English renames that make people went RAAAGE lately.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 08:15   Link #69
brocko

I'm not 100% exactly sure but it seems like the Busou Renkin rename didn't quite exactly go through. I remember seeing it on the shelves of my local anime retailer with the Japanese title as is.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 08:57   Link #70
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Firstly, with regards to the earlier Funi comment. Yes they are VERY nasty when it comes to protecting their interests. And while they may only publicly mention a few times their C&D's (such as with Phantom and Slayers), they are the most aggresive when it comes to protecting their interests. Several groups i know have recieved C&D's for shows: Kaze no Stigma, Heroic Age, HSDK and FMA to name a few. If they hear of a group doing one of their shows they send a C&D. They're also the only company i know to actively follow through on a C&D and begin legal proceedings against a group.

The thing with naming is that a lot of the time the company may not have a say in the matter. One of the terms of their contract for the license may be the name. Chibi Vampire for example was apparently named as a term in the contract for TP. As was renaming Kodomo no Jikan to Nymphet and a slew of others i could name.

Also up until recently publishers tended towards doing a direct translation for titles, and names of characters (TP's Chobits anyone??)

As for O-Part Hunter, what did you expect? Any series that was released in the US/UK with a title of Satan 666 would never have been stocked by retailers. And would have been confronted by all hell let loose by the various church groups. As it is, the series has faced heavy criticism and censoring in several places due to the main character being satan.

Calling it O-Part's Hunter i think was a good choice, there isn't really any other name they could have gone with.

As for some of the others, as far as i know only the OVA and Movie were billed as Samurai X. I've the DVD's of Kenshin and they have Ruroni Kenshin on them, not Samurai X.
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 10:01   Link #71
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
This is becoming an ugly trend as of late. Names being changed for US releases for God knows whatever reasons, usually for stupid reasons. Yes, on rare occasion, the name changes are actually good, and even rarer, actually cool (I actually thought changing God Gundam to Burning Gundam was pretty cool and fitting: Shining upgrades to Burning, makes more sense)

But anyway:

Karin -> Chibi Vampire (*rips out hair*)
That one's really bad because the only people who are going to know what "Chibi" means are fairly serious anime fans... and those same anime fans don't need to be told that Karin is kawaii, or moe, or chibi (the last two of these three even being debatable).

It also sounds rather embarrassing in many crowds, I'd imagine.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 11:10   Link #72
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
Karin -> Chibi Vampire (*rips out hair*)
In Germany i think it is called "Cheeky vampire" lol (never touched that one but my friends love it)
Old 2009-08-08, 16:19   Link #73
einhorn303

Personally, I think "Rumbling Hearts" is a nice-sounding title. And furthermore, there are a lot of English renames that sound good.

One thing that kind of annoys me is how Bandai Entertainment is releasing their series with the title of "Kurokami,"instead of the English name "Black God" already established by the manga. Technically, this isn't a rename at all..."Black God" is just a direct translation. But it seems silly because:
1. It seems odd to have different incarnations of the same series carry different names. It'd be better for marketing and discussion if there was just one single title.
2. "Kurokami"is just random foreign syllables. "Black God," on the other hand, sounds rather cool.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 02:12   Link #74
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppius View Post
3. Rurouni Kenshin - Satria Pedang(Knight with Sword)
Haha, that's awesome.

They should've called Dragonball "Fire from my Hands" then.
Old 2009-08-09, 02:26   Link #75
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
I don't know if it is mentioned but the main Gundams in G-Gundam were altered because calling them GOD and DEVIL in the Western world was kinda...

In Greek, One Piece was renamed Drake and the Treasure Pirate Hunt... Where Drake was Luffy's name from the Italian dub I think.

Card Captor Sakura was renamed The Adventures of Nikki... Where Nikki was Sakura's new name.

Rurouni Kenshin was renamed The Little Samurai... Because they thought Kenshin was a 15 year old.

In general, most anime in Greek were butchered in translation. But this problem is now corrected. They simply stopped dubbing anime in Greece... or airing them for the same reason.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 07:45   Link #76
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

On Rumbling Hearts, I accept it as it's the name of one of the songs in the OST.
Old 2009-08-10, 00:23   Link #77
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

Not exactly a title, but I know alot of people were ticked off at Funimation using "Holo" instead of "Horo" in Spice and Wolf, Holo sounds odd to me personally, like those Rolo candies o__o;
Old 2009-08-10, 01:20   Link #78
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistypearl View Post
Not exactly a title, but I know alot of people were ticked off at Funimation using "Holo" instead of "Horo" in Spice and Wolf, Holo sounds odd to me personally, like those Rolo candies o__o;
But her name IS Holo; behold, this screencap from the anime:

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/w...rn303/holo.jpg
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 01:47   Link #79
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The Japanese animators decided to use "lo" instead of "ro" to represent the last part of her name ”ロ”. It isn't advanced Hepburn, but so it goes. If her name was European (like Lawrence, Kraft, or Chloe) there might be some more clarity but whatever. It probably says more about the age of whomever made the call on it (and when they went to school).

Japanese and non-Japanese who learned under modern systems would mostl likely have chosen "ro" for ”ロ” but someone in the japanese production system went with "lo". We're stuck with it.

So in this case you have to blame the Japanese production company if you're unhappy with that choice. Funimation had no choice in the matter.
Old 2009-08-10, 19:18   Link #80
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Well, at least Yen Press is doing the right thing!
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote