AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-04-30, 11:37   Link #1
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Banksy

Banksy is an English graffiti artist. His street art, which combines graffiti writing with a distinctive stencilling technique. His art has appeared in cities around the world. Banksy does not sell photos of street graffiti or mount exhibitions of screenprints in commercial galleries.

Banksy's real name is unknown.

many people regard his art as vandalism.

he is not very well known and i would like to hear openions on what everyone else thinks of his art.

his website has all of his work.
www.banksy.co.uk
Old 2008-04-30, 13:40   Link #2
Mon Cheri
nope
*Graphic Designer

His/HER? art is kinda cool, especially this one

Spoiler for Savin' space:
Mon Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 13:49   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
i read an article about him, it was in the national geographic magazine fo this month (well the dutch issiue it was)
his work is amazing, hilarious even
i printed out several photographs and even pasted them on my wall =3
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 15:50   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I don't condone graffiti, but I have mixed feelings about this stuff. It looks artistic (similar to government-sponsored wall murals, in some cases), it's amusing, and in many cases it reflects social commentary. The CCTV cameras, the police searching people (I particularly liked the reverse, where a little girl is patting down a soldier) - those are important expressions of society. All the same, there are some areas and types of graffiti that he did that seem inappropriate.

I wouldn't mind it if more graffiti looked like this type... but I think I'd still prefer not having graffiti at all, unless it were in a designated graffiti area (I've seen a few).
Old 2008-04-30, 16:37   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd probably be much less antagonistic to graffitti (especially when it decorates run-down crap to make it prettier) if it were artistic like this and not just the functional equivalent of dogs peeing on things to mark territory.

I know some cities that might actually *commission* him to go around and beautify things The guy does some really smile-making stuff.
Old 2008-05-01, 02:55   Link #6
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

i guess he is pushing the boundries of what can be called graffitti and what can be called art. i love the 'Elephent in the room'. for me that is probly one of my favourites.
Old 2008-05-02, 19:57   Link #7
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Dang, the Daisy one was genius. I agree with Vexx, if all graffiti artists are like this, I'd say, let Anarchy reign in the U.K.!

It is so, so... sublime. That painting has everything: a working-class man, someone whose life is no doubt harsh and cold, forsaken, like the heroes of Dickens' tales, someone whose heart shouldn't have any flowers left in it, and yet he's painting a simplistic, yet beautiful orange daisy in diversion from his dull roadwork -- and in defiance, no doubt, of his superiors, be it social or in the job. This is social satire at its best, pseudo-Marxist, but hopeful and unpretentious. Just...perfect.

Must...resist...artistic...commentary.

I also like the one where a very sophisticated-looking artist was painting a dick (which is probably the work of some other, less awesome "artiste"). Anti-graffiti graffiti satire.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 22:36   Link #8
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
That cowboy one was quite funny ^^ like Vexx said it gives you a laugh.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote