AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-16, 13:16   Link #3261
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Even Sendo...I mean Senda had a bigger presence than what's his name? Mizuki You would think that there wouldn't be one useless character in this series considering the amount of great characters, but I guess this is one of the few flaws in this series.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 14:20   Link #3262
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

I agree with the theory that Adachi cancelled his original intentions with Mizuki because he was not convinced about the character's potential anymore. It's even more telling in the anime because the transition from threat to loser came by pretty quickly with a new episode each week. Another reason for the cousin to be even more useless in the anime adaptation is that, because of time constraints, the writers took out one plot element from the manga which involves Mizuki and happens during the last game.

I won't go into details in case you find the premise interesting but want to find more by yourself by reading the manga:

Spoiler for a small extra piece involving Mizuki in the manga:
The Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 14:51   Link #3263
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Just finished my 2nd run of this anime, took me 1 week (can't finish in 3 or 4 days sit through, have job and stuff to do ;D) well glad i pick up the anime, i wasn't exactly sure whether to follow the anime or not because i have been following the manga and it gets quite far before the anime even started.

But boy am i wrong, seeing adachi's character animated like cross game is just pure bliss, all of those emotions that was not seen in manga, the pause after kou talk about something important to aoba or anyone else, and the ost accompanying it, its perfect.

All of you who likes cross game, try to read adachi's manga, almost all of them are great, don't get turned off by the simple character design (which sadly most of my friend were), when you read it you know why it is great. The only adachi's manga that doesn't suit me is itsumo misora, no its not bad, but i just can't bring myself to follow that one.

Anyway i will surely vote cross game for one of the best anime in character development and story telling and also sports anime if there is ever be a contest about it.
Old 2010-04-21, 20:36   Link #3264
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Found a R1 listing on Amazon for the manga..

http://www.amazon.com/Cross-Game-Vol...1899397&sr=8-3

576 pages? What the... did VIZ mash the "Seasons of Wakaba" and the beginning of "Part Two" together? Well, I guess if that's the case $20 isn't that bad a price for a single volume.

EDIT:
Oh, I hate super thick books... they fall apart/bindings break pretty quickly and the middle chapters suffer due to the overall bulkiness of the book...
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 22:14   Link #3265
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Just reminds me of how overdue the English version of the manga really is. Didn't know that a French version has been available ever since 2007 lol.

In any case, I'd probably pre-order it unless I'm going to a convention during that time. 17 bucks CAN is way too good a deal, considering that's even cheaper than the US price. Now if only I can find another 22 dollars or so for an item going to be released october, so I can get free shipping as well...

It's the least I can do for what I consider is the best mangaka in the business. Such a shame he isn't very popular here in the west lol.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 13:55   Link #3266
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
Lol, if they were, it wouldn't be cheap. Importing mugs is crazy expensive shipping from Japan.
http://natalie.mu/comic/news/24286

Got 'em! Thank you, E-Bay!
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 14:22   Link #3267
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Finally got around to it...

Cross Game Review – (94/100 – Classic)

Story: 9/10

Cross Game is my first Adachi anime, and I was thoroughly impressed by its storytelling. The whole series is slow paced and filled with tension. Despite being somewhat predictable, Cross Game is well executed. There is only 1 filler episode out of 50, and even that episode tied pretty well into the main story. My only criticism is Adachi could have fleshed it out a little more, adding some more episodes. Yes this show already has 50 episodes, but it feels shorter than that.

Animation: 8/10

I really liked the art from this show. It feels like an old school anime, and the nostalgic atmosphere it creates serves it well. There were a few points in the show where the animation quality dipped. However, the no non-sense/frills animation was pretty consistent throughout its entirety.

Characters: 10/10

Cross Game’s cast is one of the most memorable in all of anime (that I have watched at least). Each character is developed so well that there isn’t really a character that you won’t like. In fact, you will really sympathize with the main cast’s struggles, hardships, and triumphs.

Sound: 10/10

I loved the OP and the first ED. The next few ED’s are great, but not as powerfully moving as the first one. The first ED “Koi Kogarete Mita Yume” is a beautiful song in its own right, but coupled with this anime, it really could not be more perfect. The OP “Summer Rain” is another song that really speaks volumes about the show and instantly feels like a classic. Finally the soundtrack is wonderfully arranged and really adds to the tension/excitement of the show.

Enjoyment: 10/10

I’m not really a big fan of baseball and when I started this show I was a little hesitant, but I had heard great things about it. From the start, the show hooked me in and never dropped the ball. Easily one of the best slice of life shows I’ve seen (one of the best anime’s I’ve seen for that matter), so I highly recommend this show to others. If you can get past its animation (for some, that’s the weakest part of the show), you will be rewarded with a classic.

Average Series Rating: 9.4 - Classic
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 22:48   Link #3268
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So here's the read after 11 eps of the second viewing.

It's surprising how much more of a baseball series this is for the first arc. It seems to me that this was probably necessary to establish some very important elements of Kou's character - his determination, his stubbornness, as well as the depth of his talent. And indeed, the baseball stuff was really good all the way up the end - it was good enough to be at the center of any series that didn't have an exponentially greater character drama to overshadow it.

We've seen hints of that, of course - not least the New Year's episode - that told us something special was coming that didn't involve baseball. And this is Adachi, after all. But while everything the series was to become was present in these first 11 episodes, the depth of it was fairly well-hidden.
Old 2010-05-04, 00:24   Link #3269
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

It actually proceeds from primarily focused on baseball to its characters with the appearance of Akane. She's the one who put Kou, Aoba, and everyone else's perspective together. This is, honestly, one of the best anime series I've seen. I think I'll have to re-write my top five once more, because this show is just that - the best.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 00:36   Link #3270
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I would argue that the transition was already well underway quite a bit before that. But she was a powerful catalyst, no doubt.
Old 2010-05-04, 00:53   Link #3271
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
It actually proceeds from primarily focused on baseball to its characters with the appearance of Akane. She's the one who put Kou, Aoba, and everyone else's perspective together. This is, honestly, one of the best anime series I've seen. I think I'll have to re-write my top five once more, because this show is just that - the best.
Should I consider you late to the party?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 01:49   Link #3272
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Should I consider you late to the party?
You should read my blog more often - I don't visit forums much during classes, but I still keep on writing about the series that have impressed me. I've already written about it there about two months ago. I wasn't late to the party, I just didn't post here. :P

I am pretty right about our tastes - they pretty much correspond, although I'm not as fond of moe stuff as you are.
Old 2010-05-04, 02:07   Link #3273
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
You should read my blog more often - I don't visit forums much during classes, but I still keep on writing about the series that have impressed me. I've already written about it there about two months ago. I wasn't late to the party, I just didn't post here. :P

I am pretty right about our tastes - they pretty much correspond, although I'm not as fond of moe stuff as you are.
So I can count on your support for the Komrades of Kitamura Kou for the 2010 Animesuki awards?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 05:28   Link #3274
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

So far, I think that the best anime ending in 2010 is Cross Game. Challengers to it would be The Tatami Galaxy and House of Five Leaves. They'll have to be really, really good though to topple CG down.
Old 2010-05-07, 15:39   Link #3275
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
So this thread has finally moved to the older series.

Does anyone think Cross Game might be licensed some day?

Or is my hope of having it on DVD just a pipe dream?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 16:03   Link #3276
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I guess seeing how well the manga sells over in the US before we talk about the show being licensed.
Old 2010-05-07, 18:48   Link #3277
Theowne
耳をすませば

After the failure of Oofuri I have my doubts that the companies want to even come near another seemingly-baseball series.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 22:51   Link #3278
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I was a bit surprised Cross Game didn't appear on Crunchyroll given its ties to TV Tokyo. We could read that to mean the production committee expects to find an R1 licensor down the line, or we could interpret that to mean that no one expects a sports anime will earn its keep in R1 regardless of the method of distribution.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-10, 13:05   Link #3279
Miles Teg

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...l-anime-in-may

Viz will start streaming Cross Game anime starting this month.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-10, 13:19   Link #3280
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Wow. Now there's something.

Guess it's a good reason to rewatch.

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports