AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-02-01, 20:43   Link #2781
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Why's it only Japan where uneven teeth are natural? No wait does that even sound correct...rather why are people focusing only on Japan when in comes to uneven teeth...It can't be an Asian genetic thing no...braces are not ultra common where I am for one..
I've heard that uneven teeth is a genetic thing among some Asians. But genes for crooked teeth are everywhere of course, so that statement may well be a "correlation does not imply causation".

Why some don't make them straight is a cultural thing, though.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 22:31   Link #2782
Ridwan

I think this article belongs here :

Quote:
Shinto trying to stay relevant in global, green era
Priests becoming more proactive in explaining cultural nuances of native religion to foreigners
BY TAKESHI NISHIDE
KYODO
JAN 15, 2013 PRINT SHARE
One morning last fall, a group of around a dozen people of various nationalities and religious faiths visited Kanda Myojin Shrine in central Tokyo.

The diplomats and their families from various countries in Europe, Latin America and Africa, including Luxembourg, Romania and Costa Rica, were participating in an Oct. 26-27 Shinto seminar for foreign envoys stationed in Japan.

The seminar, the first of its kind, was organized by the Association of Shinto Shrines, the umbrella organization for the 80,000 or so shrines scattered across Japan.
Old 2013-02-01, 22:59   Link #2783
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
I think this article belongs here :
Shinto is still relevant. Everyone needs mikos some form of solace right?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 00:11   Link #2784
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Why's it only Japan where uneven teeth are natural? No wait does that even sound correct...rather why are people focusing only on Japan when in comes to uneven teeth...It can't be an Asian genetic thing no...braces are not ultra common where I am for one..
I get the feeling that having uneven (or simply bad!) teeth has more to do with eating and nutrition in general rather than genetics. Not in the medical field though so don't have much to back that up.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 00:52   Link #2785
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
It is a moe trait dumbass.

That is because uneven teeth is a sign of pre-pubescent cuteness, being immature, cuddly and adorable. Since it is girls that are more often prone for this I think they are just trying to be lolicious - which I approve.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-02-02, 00:59   Link #2786
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Why's it only Japan where uneven teeth are natural?
Every teeth is natural from West to East. Whether its perfect or imperfect, it's still natural. Everyone knows that.

Unnatural teeth comes when non-genetic factors affects your teeth before, during and after it grew.

Example:

> the type of food you eat e.g "rock candies"
> your eating habits e.g grinding your teeth too much
> accidental or intentional mechanical manipulation eg. getting hit by a bat in the mouth (holy!) and tooth extraction respectively...

^just my guess....

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-02-02 at 01:26.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 01:25   Link #2787
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Every teeth is natural from West to East. Whether its perfect of imperfect, it's still natural. Everyone knows that.

Unnatural teeth comes when non-genetic factors affects your teeth before, during and after it grew.

Example:

> the type of food you eat e.g "rock candies"
> your eating habits e.g grinding your teeth too much
> accidental or intentional mechanical manipulation eg. getting hit by a bat in the mouth (holy!) and tooth extraction respectively...

^just my guess....
Perfect answer imo.

I would attribute crooked teeth to lower usage/pressure of cosmetic and correctional dentistry or other external unnatural factors like what Genji said. To say Japanese naturally have worse teeth than others (at such high rates, at least) would be a textbook example of "correlation does not imply causation".
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 01:27   Link #2788
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It is a moe trait dumbass.

That is because uneven teeth is a sign of pre-pubescent cuteness, being immature, cuddly and adorable. Since it is girls that are more often prone for this I think they are just trying to be lolicious - which I approve.
I also get the feeling that feet-binding was another such attempt at neotenization, revealing the underlying barbarity of the lolicon culture.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 01:31   Link #2789
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Shinto is still relevant.
"....in Japan", says the Japanese

"....in Anime", says the non-Japanese
Old 2013-02-02, 01:31   Link #2790
Sumeragi
Banned

I HATE yaeba. They're only good for 2D.

Quote:
....in Japan.

....in Anime says the non-Japanese
I practice Shinto.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 01:34   Link #2791
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I practice Shinto.
Sumimasen! *bows again and again, Sumeragi-ojou-sama!
Old 2013-02-02, 01:53   Link #2792
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I also get the feeling that feet-binding was another such attempt at neotenization, revealing the underlying barbarity of the lolicon culture.
Feet binding is an extremity that is not only disgusting, but it is hardly elegant because it leads to deformity. Lolis are girls that look or are naturally small - quite a normal trait for Asian girls though Aki Toyosaki is an exception.

The 3 VAs of Symphogear heroines are pretty much the best examples - Aoi Yuki, Nana Mizuki and Ayahi Takagaki are all less than 155cm with Aoi Yuki being the total miniature loli squirrel* at 145cm.

Kana Hanazawa and Ayana Taketatsu are the short and chubby ones, but they are still ridiculously cute to fall into the semi-loli region.

* - She is a total real squirrel! Her buckteeth, small size, ridiculous level of cuteness......*grabs and takes her home*

Old 2013-02-02, 02:00   Link #2793
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Uneven teeth is genetic. I had crowding in my lower incisors in a manner identical to my father. I got braces to correct it, more because the teeth were also poorly aligned (in that they were also clashing with the top teeth).

Most other dental problems are not.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 03:47   Link #2794
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Japanese Snaggletooth Craze Spawns Dental Procedures, Girl Group:

"Americans regularly fork over $5,000 to fix a crooked smile with braces. But in
Japan, women are spending about $400 for just the opposite. On the other side of
the planet, imperfect teeth are becoming a thing of beauty.

Japan's beauty trend, dubbed "tseuke-yaeba," has reached a fever pitch, with
young women paying hundreds for snaggleteeth."

See:

http://shine.yahoo.com/beauty/japane...194500258.html
Beauty thing? It's utter crap, I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
I would attribute crooked teeth to lower usage/pressure of cosmetic and correctional dentistry or other external unnatural factors like what Genji said. To say Japanese naturally have worse teeth than others (at such high rates, at least) would be a textbook example of "correlation does not imply causation".
Even I, as someone with Asian roots, can't understand how and why they don't take correctional dentistry or anything else to correct the issue. When I look at how correctional techniques are now refined (many of my friends are dentists, mind you) and how diet for good-looking/healthy teeth is vastly documented, I just don't get the wankfest in Japan over this thing.

As you mentioned in another post, movie stars may be the only ones filing to get their teeth worked out by a professional. However, that is no excuse for people to go the opposite way with something ridiculous such as the Tsuke-Yaeba trend. Hell! I'd love to have the full sexy looks of some of the Japanese or Korean male singers.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 03:51   Link #2795
Ridwan

Reminds me of something : braces don't seem to appear a lot in anime.
Old 2013-02-02, 03:58   Link #2796
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
Reminds me of something : braces don't seem to appear a lot in anime.
Well, most animated features in the West as well as in Japan will show as if their characters have healthy teeth and no braces. That sure doesn't mean anything.

However, to make this thing a cultural thing in Japan is the point I have issues with.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2013-02-02 at 05:02.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 04:43   Link #2797
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I don't know, I've seen a fair number of western cartoon characters with braces(in fact...). Never seen an anime character with braces though...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 05:01   Link #2798
Hitenma
Behold! We are the Nine!

Well, I don't know about other countries, but in my country having one single canine snaggletooth is considered cute/attractive. It's applied to both men and women.
At least that's what my and older generation thinks, the younger ones may have different opinions.
Even so, having a snaggletooth is usually natural. I don't know anyone going out of the way in order to make a snaggletooth.
Hitenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 06:49   Link #2799
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I don't know, I've seen a fair number of western cartoon characters with braces(in fact...). Never seen an anime character with braces though...
Even in real life, I find a girl having braces unattractive.... Having a cute girl wear, a brace in anime will kill the MOE factor... like adding mayo in fried rice..
Old 2013-02-02, 07:00   Link #2800
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
like adding mayo in fried rice..
But but..... What about donkatsu, kimchi fired rice, and macaroni and mayo salad!
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture