AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2016-06-28, 12:11   Link #341
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Now, that's just nasty.
I know, thats what she said.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 00:31   Link #342
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Don't forget "generation".

Keith (to Freyja): I'll cut down you and your trembling rune and bury you in the soil of our fatherland. That's the least I can do for you as someone who was born in the same wind. - from Episode 8

What makes the most sense to me here is that "same wind" = "same generation". I would guess that Keith is at least a few years older than Freyja, but they're probably close enough in age to count as "same generation".
Nope, Keith is referring to the "fold" there.

Best way of thinking about it is that it's similar to "The Force" of the Star Wars universe.

I've updated my 'translation check' post to reflect that. Haven't got the time to check episodes 12 and 13 fully, though.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2016-06-29 at 01:39.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 01:39   Link #343
Mistyclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Nope, Roid is referring to the "fold" there.

Best way of thinking about it is that it's similar to "The Force" of the Star Wars universe.

I've updated my 'translation check' post to reflect that. Haven't got the time to check episodes 12 and 13 fully, though.
Thank you for the translation as always
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 06:32   Link #344
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Nope, Keith is referring to the "fold" there.

That really doesn't make any sense to me. We were born in the same fold? In the same Force? What does that even mean? Is it like being born under the same Zodiac sign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Oh, God... You're gonna have to refund me for the keyboard I just destroyed by barfing up on it, when I LOL'ed reading this whilst drinking coffee. I should have known better...
Sorry about the Keyboard destruction. Hopefully the laugh was worth it.
Old 2016-06-29, 07:39   Link #345
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Sorry about the Keyboard destruction. Hopefully the laugh was worth it.
It was a nice keyboard...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 08:00   Link #346
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
That really doesn't make any sense to me. We were born in the same fold? In the same Force? What does that even mean? Is it like being born under the same Zodiac sign?
As I noted the first time, they use the terms "feeling/reading the wind" as a metaphor for sensing 'emotions/thoughts' through fold space, in the form of "fold waves," which is something that we were introduced to in Frontier.

It's not like The Force in that people can use it to move things around, just in the sense that it's something that exists and that connects everything, but some people (races/organisms) are better able to express or sense fold waves for various reasons. The important thing about it is that it's a medium for communication, for understanding how others feel without words etc.

Spoiler for Comments from Kawamori re: Frontier that are relevant for this topic...:

And that's all I'm going to be saying about this for now...mostly because it hasn't yet been explained. But it seems like we're slowly getting more bits and pieces about how it all works in Delta. And after this most recent episode, I think I'll also need to rewatch Zero, though I won't be able to do that til I get home in a few more weeks...

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2016-06-29 at 08:49.
Old 2016-07-01, 09:20   Link #347
ReddyRedWolf

Going over the Japanese wiki glossary of Macross and I've come over an interesting theory why in-universe it went from the UN Spacy kite to NUNS.

https://translate.googleusercontent....91.BD.E4.BD.93
Quote:
2050 theory
" Macross The Ride There is a battle of" The 2050 Earth supremacist (Lactence) and the decentralization principle who rebel against it and (Vindirance), because Vindirance wins, NUNS from UNSPACY (formerly Joint Force) has been described to have evolved specifically to eliminate (new Joint force) [3] . On the other hand, also some places, such as the planet Kasshubu that it is a civil war split into the old integrated military faction and the new integrated army faction. In addition, the planet this star Defense Force fleet to inherit the spirit of the old Joint Force and the Earth supremacist Lactence "fasces" is using the mark of the old Joint Force.
So in one planet UN Spacy split between old UN Spacy and New UN Spacy in civil war. While the matter has been resolved on Earth in VF-X2 with the pro-NUN Vndirance winning over the Earth supremacist group Lactence.

Interestingly Fasces uses Varauta Army VFs.
https://translate.googleusercontent....fZNAuuhkaPyMiQ
Quote:
Fz-109G Elgerzorene Gustav
Former Joint Force and the global advocate Lactence variable fighter of catamaran purple belonging to the naval vessels Bab yl. With a performance comparable to those in the VF-171. The original is modified machine of VF-14.
Az-130 Panzerzorene
Heavy attack aircraft belonging to the fasces.
Fbz-99 Saubergeran
Heavy bomber belonging to the fasces
Seems Naresuan was present during the Varauta campaign.

https://translate.googleusercontent....fZNAuuhkaPyMiQ
Quote:
Naresuan (Naresuan)
Former commander of the branch fleet of Zentraedi army Bodoru backbone fleet that attacked the earth at the time between the first primary star War. Lynn Minmay song and Britai Kridanik was ally in Macross unmoved to speech. Names once hero was real to Earth Naresuan derived from. Also become captain of the special operations troops Etoile Firan enter the integrated military, troops in that he was betrayed at the time of Barota campaign is devastating. Then, the commander of the Joint Force of Earth supremacist "fasces". It attacked the van quiche race, to capture the Galaxy of the resort ship Revuna.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-14, 22:06   Link #348
ReddyRedWolf

Laramis star system that Messer was supposed to transfer to is where planet Sephira is. First seen in Macross VF-X2 with Hyde city occupied by Black Rainbow Anti-UN Zentradi terrorist group. Home colony of Leon Sakaki in Macross 30. It seems that system has at least two PMC on it with SMS and Kaos. I suppose the local government doesn't just rely on NUNS as it was attacked by a Lost Zentradi fleet once in 2059.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-22, 19:59   Link #349
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
制空権 せいくうけん - Seikuuken - Air Supremacy
制風権 せいふうけん - Seifuuken - Wind Supremacy

Wind Supremacy is right, as that is being used by Japanese sources and posts at this time. This term had been used as early as episode 6. Of course, in their mind, Wind = a lot of things.

- Tak
Quote:
...when Windermere refer to the "wind" (風, 制風権 etc) they're most likely referring to how they sense and make use of fold waves.

So 制風権 could be translated as "Fold Superiority" or "Control over the fold/fold waves," perhaps.
And dropping in now that the term has actually been revealed in the episode summaries (apparently, it might have been in one of the manga as well? Anyways...)

"Seifuuken" is apparently 「制風圏」...

Definitely not "Starwind," but taking a cue from what Imperial Japan had been trying to do in the Pacific War, perhaps something along the lines of "The Greater Wind Sphere." It'll be interesting to see what the translators go with for the official subs...

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2016-07-22, 22:00   Link #350
Tak

Quote:
And dropping in now that the term has actually been revealed in the episode summaries (apparently, it might have been in one of the manga as well? Anyways...)

"Seifuuken" is apparently 「制風圏」...

Definitely not "Starwind," but taking a cue from what Imperial Japan had been trying to do in the Pacific War, perhaps something along the lines of "The Greater Wind Sphere." It'll be interesting to see what the translators go with for the official subs...
Oh boy...

We are both wrong? No way!

I bet subs will start calling it Wind Rolling Donuts or something...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2019-05-04, 12:01   Link #351
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Well, the results from the NHK poll are in... and Frontier wins!

https://twitter.com/gwyncampbell/sta...901363200?s=21
Old 2019-05-04, 20:07   Link #352
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I'm glad that Macross 7 is #3 and both versions of Macross Plus get to be in the Top 10. What I don't get is, why the original SDF Macross only get the #5? It should've been on the Top 3. Heck, I wouldn't mind if it took Macross 7's spot.
Old 2019-05-05, 00:27   Link #353
Tak

What I don't get is, why is Macross 2 even on that list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
What I don't get is, why the original SDF Macross only get the #5? It should've been on the Top 3.
Because Satelight is not diligent with a remake!

- Tak

Old 2019-05-05, 01:42   Link #354
magnuskn

Of course Frontier wins. Sheryl ganbatte!
Old 2019-05-05, 01:50   Link #355
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
- Tak
Macross II is underrated. It has great art design (including the mechas & the characters), it has non-convoluted story (albeit repeating many bits of DYRL) that's still better than Delta, and the handdrawn mecha-battle animation is quite good. The military girl is feisty and I like that the MC is not an aimless teenager. He's a reporter that has ambition even though it can be both his good trait and bad trait. Among other Macross anime, II has good pace and the economical story is at least better-written than Delta & 7.

And yes, I love the Valkyrie design of Macross II by Kazumi Fujita:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2019-05-05, 17:36   Link #356
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Because EVERYTHING is!

Anyway, here's the full list:

https://gubabablog.wordpress.com/201...gigantic-poll/

Last edited by Yot-chan; 2019-05-06 at 21:06.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-21, 22:02   Link #357
Tak

Here is the new Top Gun: Maverick trailer.

I gotta say, it reminds me of Macross Plus, a lot.

Now, if the ultimate villain is a drone...

- Tak

Old 2021-12-15, 23:30   Link #358
Tak

This premiered yesterday and nobody said anything?

- Tak

Old 2021-12-16, 10:11   Link #359
devilo96

Quote:
This premiered yesterday and nobody said anything?

- Tak
oh my...i watched this before...and yeah...man...i feel mixed up...like...how to say...i watched an ntr movie with mecha as the main plot....

i know this one about love triangle between 2 man and 1 girl...but........yeah got a mental breakdown from this one
devilo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-04, 02:45   Link #360
magnuskn

So, I randomly got into thinking about Macross, and a question came up: Who's your favorite Macross mecha pilot? My top three go to:

1.) Maximilian Jenius (because, of course)
2.) Saotome Alto
3.) Klan-Klan

Who are your favorite mecha pilots? I specifically said mecha, so that you can vote in your favorite Zentraedi, too.