AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-03-20, 13:42   Link #21
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

ADV borked up the first volume of the Azumanga Daioh manga...it WAS one of their first forays into something with THAT many cultural references...not to mention one of the first manga they ever did.
they got better at least, the last few pages of the 3rd volume are culture notes
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 13:58   Link #22
Sabin

Send a message via ICQ to Sabin Send a message via AIM to Sabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditKing
I don't know about the sub but I know that in the dvd version there is a 12 page color booklet that talk all about cultural references.So who knows
I haven't had a chance to check out the subs yet but i will definetly do that today some time and write back letting you know what a i think. I will be using the NLA, Ishin & AF subs as a reference.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 15:58   Link #23
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

First I'd like to thank and congratulate Sabin for giving the English an
honest chance and seeing it through to the end of the episode. I know
many people who would have given up on the dub after that one annoying
character. Thank you for an honest and well informed opinion.

Truth be told, I enjoy watching the English dubs. I know some are bad and
make me whince, almost in pain, but there are some that are humorous and
well done. My biggest worry over the Azumanga Daioh dub wasn't over the
quality of the dub itself, I'd watch it anyway, rather I was concerned with
the cultural references. I am throughly gald to hear they weren't changed
or completely removed.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 21:31   Link #24
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Mr_Paper: here here!

Seriously, dubs have been getting better over the past few years, but people are still stuck in a 1990 sort-of mindset. The people working on them arent always just "faceless ingrates wanting their paycheck forced to read lines for a show they dont care about". Most of them like anime, hence want to do their best. Of course though, nothing is perfect.

But hats off sabin, you were willing to go past the first ten minutes. This is a rarity for most internet anime fans
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 20:01   Link #25
Laxe

Any chance I can import that copy into the UK?

I'm looking forward to owning the whole series on DVD (may watch it in JPN if it gets unbarable) so I really would like to at least see the first ep.
Laxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-22, 07:41   Link #26
Sabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxe
Any chance I can import that copy into the UK?

I'm looking forward to owning the whole series on DVD (may watch it in JPN if it gets unbarable) so I really would like to at least see the first ep.
A friend of mine in the UK gets newtype at a bookstore but apparently it doesn't come with the DVD since it would be an NTSC disc.
Old 2004-03-22, 07:59   Link #27
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
A friend of mine in the UK gets newtype at a bookstore but apparently it doesn't come with the DVD since it would be an NTSC disc.
well, you can buy it at a few places here in leeds and they all sell it with the DVD
Kyoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-22, 09:12   Link #28
Laxe

Damn you guys are lucky!

I'll have a look in Brighton when I go back but I doubt Canterbury stocks it...

Could you tell me who the publisher is by any chance?
Laxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-22, 11:32   Link #29
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

The publisher of NewType USA is ADV.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-22, 14:14   Link #30
anthonyxscotland
Highlander

Quote:
I have it on standing order at the local comics shop in Aberdeen, have done now for over 14 months. Got the DVD every time, Region 1 NTSC, works fine on a multi-region player though ^^
anthonyxscotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 19:48   Link #31
Sabin

Azumanga Daioh disc 1

Just picked up disc 1 with the box. Comes with two lapel pins. One of Chiyo and another of the black cat that bites Sakaki alot (kameneko i think). Haven't had a chance to watch any of it yet though you can find my thoughuts on the first ep dub that was included with newtype this month a few pages back. The bad news is that i wasn't looking where i was sitting and sat on the box by accident. Good thing i still had the huge chunk of styrofoam that they put in the box for shipping. If only the disc had stil been in there then there would have been no damage at all.

Also grabbed disc 6 of super gals. Too bad i was already short on cash before i went and spent all this money.
Old 2004-04-08, 19:55   Link #32
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Huh? What store sent you the disc so early? I thought it wasn't supposed to be out until the 27th, or something.
Old 2004-04-08, 21:18   Link #33
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
I have it on order from the Right Stuff, and I see they have it listed as "Reserved for your order", so they must have them in too,.. now if they will just ship it...

I often recive dvds from them a week or two before the release date, so it seems that some shows get shipped out early.

The same for Super Girls #6 & 2, I bought the first disc of that, I wasn't sure if I would like it or not. But I thought it was a very fun and good show, so I ordered the rest of the discs. I now have #'s 3,4, & 5, but no #2.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 20:48   Link #34
Aurora
Just visiting...

Send a message via AIM to Aurora
I preordered it through deepdiscountdvd. They sent Kaze no Yojimbo a month early and Narue no Sakai a week early, so maybe Azumanga Daioh will be shipped early too. I hope so!
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 21:58   Link #35
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
I just got the box set today. (From Ann Arbor's WizzyWigs, if you were wondering.) I was actually hoping to get Kiddy Grade #2, but it looks like they didn't have that yet.

The booklet in the DVD case has plenty of translation notes. I suspect I'm going to be pausing often and checking up on the references. (At least it seems to be done slightly more professionally than the one for Comic Party, which always gives me the impression that the writers really liked the "Where's Wally" books.)
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 22:15   Link #36
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Damn you people who preordered. I'm going to have to wait until the 27th to get my copy. Just out of curiosity, what episode does it go up to? I heard the disks will have a strange episode countsince they're dividing it by school years.
Old 2004-04-09, 23:46   Link #37
BanditKing

if they are following the year it should be

first year=9 ep
second year=10 ep
third year=7 ep

which makes

1st disc = 5 ep
2nd disc = 4 ep
3rd disc = 5 ep
4th disc = 5 ep
5th disc = 4 ep
6th disc = 3 ep

26 ep for 6 disc I say this is pretty good.
BanditKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 00:36   Link #38
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
I'm not sure what the plan for episode count per disc is, but yeah, the first disc had five episodes. (Up to the first trip to the summer house.)

Incidentally, I didn't pre-order. Just walked into the store and picked up the DVD. ^^ WizzyWigs has a weird release schedule that only seems vaguely related to the one on AnimeOnDVD.

I must say that I am very impressed with the quality of translation. I'm a die-hard sub fan, and this is the very first anime that I watched entirely on the dub track. It sounds as though the Japanese seiyuu were speaking English. Even Kimura-sensei sounded suitably... pervy.

One interesting thing I noticed was that they kind of danced around Yukari being an English teacher. Most of the time, she's referred to as a "language teacher", even if they didn't specify what language.

Also, remember the scene where Yukari converses with the Foreign Guy (and Nyamo watches, confused)? In the original Japanese, he was mostly speaking gibberish (meant to represent complicated English), so they changed it to "blah blah" in the dub. Not that I blame them, of course, but I was interested to see how they would take care of it.
Old 2004-04-10, 00:46   Link #39
Sabin

I don't order my anime online so i am able to get it a little faster by actually walking into a store and buying it. Typically the relases listed on animeondvd are just what the publishers tell them though it is never really set in stone. BTW dkellis, you should be bale to get kiddy grade disc 2 by now. I bought it almost three weeks ago already.

Also, if you live in Toronto and are looking for a good place to get anime ahead of schedule you should check out the Game Shack in the atrium on bay at Yonge and Dundas and 1,000,000 comix on Yonge just south of Wellsley. Game Shack is a little cheaper but comix has a much better slection (and a huge selection of manga as well)
Old 2004-04-10, 00:52   Link #40
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Quote:
BTW dkellis, you should be bale to get kiddy grade disc 2 by now. I bought it almost three weeks ago already.
"Should" is relative. ^^; I don't think they even received it from their supplier yet. Normally I would still be able to see a new disc on the New Rentals shelf even if it was sold out, but they're still advertising Kiddy Grade #1. I'll ask them about it next time.

As for Azumanga Daioh, I get the feeling that it's getting the Mega-Hype treatment. Not complaining, but it presents an interesting scenario.

Tags
comedy, seinen, slice of life