AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-15, 22:29   Link #21
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei19 View Post
[B][FONT="Century Gothic"]I pity those who hate on Faldio for having more lines than Welkin. Boy do I pity them. The story is more coloful with Faldio involved. But no matter how much of a loser Welkin is, he's a bigger character than Faldio. 1 + 1 = ??

Looking at Alicia's reaction, Faldio has a chance. I swear if Faldio dies seagulls will cry!
The problem is that Welkin really isn't a loser.... at least not in the game. Yeah, he's kinda weird, but a loser he is not.

That's what has so many people up in arms.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-07-15, 22:59   Link #22
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei19 View Post
I pity those who hate on Faldio for having more lines than Welkin. Boy do I pity them. The story is more coloful with Faldio involved. But no matter how much of a loser Welkin is, he's a bigger character than Faldio. 1 + 1 = ??

Looking at Alicia's reaction, Faldio has a chance. I swear if Faldio dies seagulls will cry!

Yep. Valkyria Chronicles is cool like that.
Like I'd ever take the opinion of a 20 year old fan girl on a topic such as this.

The game is more colorful than the anime BECAUSE of Alicia and Welkin not being neutered. Since Welkin had his balls cut in the conversion to anime, they needed a strong male to stand front, and they chose Faldio.

Game Welkin > Anime Faldio any second of any lifetime.

Game players know what I'm talking about when I say there is one scene where Welkin stands out like few male leads ever could...
Old 2009-07-15, 23:09   Link #23
kalbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Game players know what I'm talking about when I say there is one scene where Welkin stands out like few male leads ever could...
You mean actually possessing a brain and approaching love in a mature fashion?
Old 2009-07-16, 01:26   Link #24
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
You mean actually possessing a brain and approaching love in a mature fashion?
You want the short and sweet answer?

Yes.
Old 2009-07-16, 02:53   Link #25
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Good grief are we talking about the episode or are we comparing Game Welkin to Anime Welkin?

For the record Welkin and Alicia were building up their romance.

However, Welkin has since faltered ever since Faldio's come in and cut his manhood down and can't think straight.

Faldio maybe going on the offensive but he'll never have the same type of relationship that she has with Welkin. The guy's literally throwing in a monkey wrentch into their relationship.
What can you expect? Looking at how poor anime Welkin has become, it's not unnatural we'd ask what the heck is that.

I have watched countless anime and this is the first time I've seen something so disgusting on how to portray a protagonist. As someone wrote earlier, I feel the staff shot themselves in the foot by making Welkin so ignorant in almost everything. Since this anime is an adaptation from a game, I don't bother about small changes from the original scenario. However, changing completely a character to be different from the original... you can't do that. It's like violating the main essence of what makes this story as unique.

The problem isn't about Faldio who is getting more "aggressive", but rather on how Welkin's character has been lowered. How in heaven's sake can anybody even think Welkin's character can get better after everything we saw making him a poor protagonist so far? There's a limit in lowering a character and they crossed the line this time.

It should have been better if Welkin was kept to remain mostly his old self while Faldio would try what he does now and create consequently some real friction.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2009-07-16 at 03:04.
Old 2009-07-16, 04:19   Link #26
snarf2691

when i first started watching this series, i thought, "hm. maybe they'll show welkin and alicia to be more like they were in the game after these first few episodes." but in reality, they decided to change welkin's character from a more realistic, dynamic personality to an overly ignorant and touchy-feely character. it doesn't even make sense to see how he can pull off the stuff he does in battle in the anime. he's just so passive, something he wasn't in the game. that's what i think is pissing a lot of fans, and me, off.

as for alicia, they pretty much said "well we went to one extreme with welkin, why dont we just set off a tsun bomb on alicia?"

and faldio? they sure get u into not liking faldio's actions really early in this anime compared to in the game...
Old 2009-07-16, 07:30   Link #27
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
KiraYamatoFan said it best - problem is not in the Faldio being strong, problem is in Welkin being too weak, and it is not just the last couple of episodes that are setting us for the big come-back, no, the problem lies in this whole series, because Welkin feels like underdeveloped, boring and dumb character.

So why the complains about Faldio? It feels as if scriptwriters took the strength from Welkin just to make Faldio look more awesome. And it is not just in the last few episodes but during the whole series. They really went overboard and I doubt that even one major come-back by Welkin will set things right, since they already wasted not one or two but whole half of the series to make Faldio look like better lead than Welkin, and its not something one come-back can instantly reverse.

Sure Welkin will end up with Alicia and will be last minute hero and so on and so on, but again the lead is not the one who has best ending, but the one who drives the whole series, and that is something that Welkin hasn't done, at least to this point where we pass the half mark.
Old 2009-07-17, 01:41   Link #28
Runty

Can I be the first to laugh at this topic's title?

And just to note, I'm not making any complaints so far about how the anime is in comparison to the game. Aside from there not being enough Marina time...
Old 2009-07-17, 01:51   Link #29
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runty View Post
Can I be the first to laugh at this topic's title?
Well, at least we're not trying to hide anything from game players who might be thinking of watching the anime, so in a way I'm doing people a favour! (Although, as you point out, I'm sure that not all game players think the anime "sucks" either.)
Old 2009-07-17, 02:01   Link #30
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
You are just pushing your personal opinion and bias.

Name the thread into something less offensive and then we can treat it as discussion thread. You are just generalizing everyones opinions based on your personal bias, so even if you move them here choose a better tittle, since the current one is not 'not hiding anything from game players who might be thinking of watching the anime', but is rather 'pushing my personal bias, because I am a mod'.

You shot yourself in the leg with this one, relentlessflame.
Old 2009-07-17, 02:04   Link #31
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
You are just pushing your personal opinion and bias.

Name the thread into something less offensive and then we can treat it as discussion thread. You are just generalizing everyones opinions based on your personal bias, so even if you move them here choose a better tittle, since the current one is not not 'hiding anything', but rather is rather 'pushing my personal bias'.
There:

"The Anime Sucks; I Think the Game Is Better"

Better now? For crying out loud...

Edit: Fine, whatever -- "Game/Anime Comparison Spoiler Thread" it is. Boring...
Old 2009-07-17, 04:09   Link #32
Solecs

Darn, I missed out on the original title .

By and large I've given up hope the anime will be comparable to the game in any way, but as just an anime I think it's not all that bad. Take away all the game bias and it turns into a pretty solid affair as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, they're really doing a number on Welkin's character as many have already pointed out. I'm particularly miffed with how they're handling his relationship with Isara, but then I guess they've changed her character a bit as well. I don't think she would have stood down to Rosie in the first place (avoiding the party). She was a much stronger character in the game I recall.
Old 2009-07-17, 04:37   Link #33
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
(Although, as you point out, I'm sure that not all game players think the anime "sucks" either.)
Give them time, they'll come around.... little by little game players are seeing the butchery the anime writters are doing to their favorite game. l suspect more will start coming around after the
Spoiler:

So since game spoilers are allowed here... how about l make my post productive....and ask what others think of the lack of mentioning lsara's dream...

Spoiler:

so whut do you guys think?
Old 2009-07-17, 04:43   Link #34
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
(Although, as you point out, I'm sure that not all game players think the anime "sucks" either.)
I didn't upto now. I was treating it as it's own story, and liking it for what it is, though not episode 15. Hell no. They've basically just **** all over the game. I hate to put it like that, though it's the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
so whut do you guys think?
I've been bringing it up in the spoiler thread. We should wait and see if they keep in the
Spoiler:
Old 2009-07-17, 05:07   Link #35
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I didn't upto now. I was treating it as it's own story, and liking it for what it is, though not episode 15. Hell no. They've basically just **** all over the game. I hate to put it like that, though it's the truth.

I've been bringing it up in the spoiler thread. We should wait and see if they keep in the
Spoiler:

Hmm l'm a bit conflicted....l wouldn't mind if that event would be removed or maybe altered and the that boy who has the crush on her would take her place.
But then again that event brought welkin and alicia real close.... so if it doesn't happen....then whut will bring those closer? god knows the anime version needs it more then the game version ever did so welkinxalicia's relationship can move foward.
Old 2009-07-17, 05:12   Link #36
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Hmm l'm a bit conflicted....l wouldn't mind if that event would be removed or maybe altered and the that boy who has the crush on her would take her place.
But then again that event brought welkin and alicia real close.... so if it doesn't happen....then whut will bring those closer? god knows the anime version needs it more then the game version ever did so welkinxalicia's relationship can move foward.
Spoiler:
Old 2009-07-17, 05:14   Link #37
kalbron

Honestly, even if they do Isara's death, it will seem even more random and out of place than it did in the game.

I'm more wondering how the heck they're going to make Faldio suddenly decide to shoot Alicia given that essentially nothing says that his character to date has the mindset or the willpower to do so. He convinced himself over a period of months in the game... I'm betting if it does happen it will occur with a few moments' thought.
Old 2009-07-17, 05:22   Link #38
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
Honestly, even if they do Isara's death, it will seem even more random and out of place than it did in the game.

I'm more wondering how the heck they're going to make Faldio suddenly decide to shoot Alicia given that essentially nothing says that his character to date has the mindset or the willpower to do so. He convinced himself over a period of months in the game... I'm betting if it does happen it will occur with a few moments' thought.
For the Lulz, l say Faldio can't take well Alicia's rejection goes crazy and shoots her...
Old 2009-07-17, 05:24   Link #39
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
For the Lulz, l say Faldio can't take well Alicia's rejection goes crazy and shoots her...
Oh i hope they do this. It'll be so lol, and back up our theory on the whole high school romance element in the anime adaptation.
Old 2009-07-17, 05:32   Link #40
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Spoiler:
Oh crap that's a major foreshadowing...so it might go down after all....
ah.. damn it all to hell....
Closed Thread