AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-15, 19:42   Link #421
Hmm....

I can see that many think he's already dead ^^"

Like I did when I first read volumn 1. I was like that guy must die for sure. That's why Kirito feel so guilty.
But when we reach lvl74 boss. What?? He's alive and dandy with no casualty in his guild. What are you so emo about Kirito-kun ??
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 19:55   Link #422
DurararaFTW

I like Klein, the contrast with him if where most of Kirito flaws is laid bare, but the Black Cats need as much screentime as they can to make sure their impact on Kirito is made clear.
DurararaFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 20:51   Link #423
Edgardes

Was giving a look at RnR and my opinion about the ep 2 improved a bit, I still think they cut the wrong shares with Asuna, but the moments KiriAsu cut makes more sense, since it does not create a depth in their relationship, and lack of Asuna in RnR makes more sense, but to really make sense that they would have to change some in Murder Case.
Edgardes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 21:08   Link #424
DurararaFTW

I dread what they'll do to Murdercase.
DurararaFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 21:49   Link #425
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I liked ep2.

Sure, as an adaption of 'Aria', it wasn't very good. But as an episode-onto-its-own? I thought that it ultimately managed to convey what needed to be there, and did it well.

Regarding Asuna's characterisation, it's true that a lot of nuances was lost. The way I saw it, I felt that the story was purposely ignoring those aspects of her characterisation early-on, both in consideration of the minor story friction (retcon, if you will ) regarding Kirito's impressions of Asuna. In many ways, it actually made sense to downplay the weight of their first meeting together.

Whether or not downplaying it was the right choice or not, I don't want to get into that discussion. As a romance-buff, more KiriAsu moments will make me a happy bugger and I'm biased that way. Say what you will.

As for other parts of her character, there's a degree of consistency maintainability that I felt should be taken into consideration. Asuna felt a lot less guarded as a character? That's reasonable, since they've trimmed down many of her focus scenes anyway, trying to extrapolate that aspect of her character just for the sake of it would be awkward. Likewise with the bread scene. It lost some depth compared to the light novels, but it made sense because it had become a discussion that was possible between 2 real strangers altogether already.

As for Diabel, it's kind of a lose-lose situation.

The anime painted him in a far nicer light ( still keeping part of his underlying motives ), and because his sacrifice was seen as an inspiration and a point of regret for Kirito in the episode, it was very easy for non-light novel reader to see and understand why Kirito did what he did and pulled the Dark Knight "Beater" card.

And that's the important point. The changes were clearly made both in consideration of the single-episode limit, but also to make the transformation of 'Beater' Kirito very obviously driven by an sense of altruism to protect the other Beta Testers that can be seen from a glance.

Just few seconds of him reminscing of Diabel and the split-second where he swallowed his saliva to prepare for his 'act.' Those were good imo, because of 'show, not tell.'

Keeping all of the deeper stuff, would had required a more in-depth explanation of why Kirito did what he did, and that would not be possible in one episode. Even if it was, the sequence and pacing would all be horribly messed up.

As for other parts of Aria that didn't make the cut... they hardly mattered.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 03:30   Link #426
Flere821
Lurker

As for RNR... I think it might be possible to fit it in 10 minutes after all... but it'll cut off a lot of stuff, like ep2.
Spoiler for What I want to see:

Spoiler for What I expect to see:
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 04:12   Link #427
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Spoiler for What I want to see:
You are a genius, ever thought about applying as a script/scenario writer?
Japan needs more people with good ideas.
Old 2012-07-16, 04:29   Link #428
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
You are a genius, ever thought about applying as a script/scenario writer?
Japan needs more people with good ideas.
True. And if he is right on the "What I expect to see" , if it goes like this then I will be pissed. I mean all the emotion will be gone.
Old 2012-07-16, 06:41   Link #429
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
As for RNR... I think it might be possible to fit it in 10 minutes after all... but it'll cut off a lot of stuff, like ep2.
This is... pretty good. I like it.

I'm going to be a little pessimistic and say it doesn't necessarily make me feel that it's a good transition from ep2 to what you had described, but it definitely sounds like one of the best ways RDR could be adapted in a single episode.

As for the fight being favored over emotions... even A-1 can't have that much budget... right?

(gotta be one of those rare times I wish they had less money/time for battle sakuga )

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 06:48   Link #430
Ray
Garnet

A-1 need to hire Flere.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 07:00   Link #431
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Everybody's got no budget. It's a fact of life.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 08:21   Link #432
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I liked ep2.

Spoiler for length:
This is pretty much how I feel about ep2 regarding my problem with Asuna. I'd say it's more of a pity than "no it sucks now" sort. Would have been nice, but since I just don't see how they can split the episode without the first part being "boring and dragging" for the generic audience, I'm satisfied with how the episode turned out. On a side note, I quite like how they cut the KiriAsu chat scene at the end. The way Kirito responds to Asuna's question by silently leaving the party adds quite a bit of depth in him.

Regarding Diabel, I don't mind the "white knight" change in the anime. I don't think it would make much of a difference in terms of development: Kirito is gonna take the blame for the beta-testers whether Diabel is genuine or not. In fact, I find the anime portrayal effectively cuts a lot of long explanation work and still easy to understand for first time viewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
I dread what they'll do to Murdercase.
I wonder if they will animate the Laughing Coffin incident. Sure we got a glimpse of it in the GGO arc as a flashback but wouldn't it be odd if you skip out such an important "dark and troubled past" in Kirito's character during SAO arc?

Last edited by Lantern; 2012-07-16 at 08:26. Reason: spelling fixes
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 11:49   Link #433
Deltaray

I have terrible feeling if they cram murder case in one episode, I don't mind rnr in one episode, but murder case is like twice as big, so making that in one episode uughh...

Hopefully i'm wrong, and there is these 3 weeks before that episode anyway.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 06:44   Link #434
Hmm....

After Aria, I keep my expectation about RNR low, very low, as low as I can. I tried not to predict anything so that anime studion will prove me all wrong.

After I watch preview for Episode 3, [b]ONLY ONE[b] thing I want to say is
ARGO THE RATTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look like the anime studio can still prove me wrong ^^"
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 06:46   Link #435
Ray
Garnet

Really?? Mind linking us?
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 06:54   Link #436
Rovert10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
After Aria, I keep my expectation about RNR low, very low, as low as I can. I tried not to predict anything so that anime studion will prove me all wrong.

After I watch preview for Episode 3, [b]ONLY ONE[b] thing I want to say is
ARGO THE RATTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look like the anime studio can still prove me wrong ^^"
Where is this PV?
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 07:06   Link #437
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Really?? Mind linking us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovert10 View Post
Where is this PV?
Episode previews are located on the main site.
http://www.swordart-online.net/story/index03.html
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 07:07   Link #438
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Oooooh. So that's what she looks like... Probably a nod to the fans who kept crying foul when they didn't include her in ep. 2 LOL.
Old 2012-07-18, 07:09   Link #439
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
Oooooh. So that's what she looks like... Probably a nod to the fans who kept crying foul when they didn't include her in ep. 2 LOL.
Lol, I'd imagine that they plan these episodes well in advance.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 07:13   Link #440
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Lol, I'd imagine that they plan these episodes well in advance.
Nah. I'm just messing around LOL But seriously why did they include her when she's just going to appear for a few minutes in the entire show after they retconned her role in ep. 2 Confused much LOL Ah what the heck! It's ARGO THE RAT!!! BOOOYAH!!! And I imagine non LN readers are already discussing the "bed scene" LOL