AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: How annoying?
After a few minutes of that sort of thing I want to NUKE THEM TO HELL. 167 30.31%
It's only annoying when it's really excessive. 247 44.83%
It's interesting, like a sort of anime slang, but I wouldn't say it myself. 44 7.99%
Using Nihongo in my sentences is cooool ^____^ You are a chibi baka! 42 7.62%
おばけアメリカンのだ、日本語わかれない 51 9.26%
Voters: 551. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-03-11, 14:47   Link #61
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Heh.. One thing I've been accused of is imitating an anime girl voice. I speak in a really low voice. I don't know if I have a high-pitch voice, but my voice is very small.. And a lot of people think I'm doing this on purpose and I'm forcing my voice to sound like this. I really dislike being misjudged that way. And I'm not saying this to justify myself, this is my real voice. T_T

I agree with Mockingbird's pilot. I think it's mainly annoying when the person is using a word they don't know the meaning of, but I still take it with humor when someone I know does this. I personally don't see the use of complaining about it. ^^;; I honestly don't see why it's so annoying, either. Maybe it might seem a lot more annoying when you talk to someone who does this online than when you hear someone actually say it IRL..

One thing I forgot to mention is one of my friends. He's a language freak and he's currently learning Japanese, so he often blurts out Japanese words or sentences. I've heard him shout "Baka!" or "Nani!?" many times.

Before I met him, I used to think I would be weirded out if I heard someone say this IRL, but I really wasn't to be honest. I just don't think people should be judged that way; I mean.. A lot of people have judged me because I use Japanese words on my screen names, or because I use anime faces. That's the second thing that "isn't cool" with anime elitists. :P Anime faces. I've been picked on a lot because I use anime faces, but I think it's a stupid thing to judge someone on. It's just my opinion though.. ^_^;; I'm not trying to sound all holier-than-thou either. Just saying how I feel about the whole issue.

And like I said earlier, it's not "cool" anymore to use Japanese in sentences or shout out Japanese. If you go in a chat and do it, there will always be some older [?] person who will start picking on you about it and subtlely saying you're stupid. It's probably the same thing in real life, but I wouldn't know since I don't know a lot of big anime fans IRL.
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 14:51   Link #62
SirJeannot
AT Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
LAWL! Omae wa too funny!
i'm glad i made you reply this useless post

*grins* ^inf

anyway, in the same way, my father used to *poke* me when as i used english words while speaking french. now that i do that effort (i used to forget these words, so i used the english ones), i really hate that too.
Old 2004-03-11, 15:05   Link #63
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJeannot

anyway, in the same way, my father used to *poke* me when as i used english words while speaking french. now that i do that effort (i used to forget these words, so i used the english ones), i really hate that too.
You too?

My mother screams at me every time I use an english word while speaking french. It doesn't happen often, but when it happens, it's annoying. It might be because she's a litterature teacher and a writer. ¬_¬
Old 2004-03-11, 17:13   Link #64
Space_Shinobi
Elite_Shinobi

Send a message via AIM to Space_Shinobi Send a message via MSN to Space_Shinobi Send a message via Yahoo to Space_Shinobi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
Why did you get offended? He didn't say everyone that watches Naruto is a fanboy...

IMO the only people that actually should get offended by that are the true Naruto fanboys...
l am a true naruto fan... so that is why l got offended by that post on the side note dont you mean a naruto fan-person
Space_Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 17:25   Link #65
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
My views on this... why not go the whole and say a whole japanese sentence then mock the japanese people themselves
AkihaTohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 17:26   Link #66
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

...And we go on topic again

personally I find it irritating enough in a post...say it in RL = be afraid, be very afraid.

Me, I use an english word once in a while when I'm talking, that's completely normal cuz I only use it when I can't find the right dutch word in my own language for a sec.

Once last year though I was day dreaming, something funny happened and I was about to say 'lol' in RL !! I said "l.." that scared the crap outta me.

but I joined this forums yesterday, Ill get used to these japanese stuff.
Thyrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 17:50   Link #67
nak
Squishy

Send a message via AIM to nak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrz
...And we go on topic again

personally I find it irritating enough in a post...say it in RL = be afraid, be very afraid.

Me, I use an english word once in a while when I'm talking, that's completely normal cuz I only use it when I can't find the right dutch word in my own language for a sec.

Once last year though I was day dreaming, something funny happened and I was about to say 'lol' in RL !! I said "l.." that scared the crap outta me.

but I joined this forums yesterday, Ill get used to these japanese stuff.
Ugh....i said lol today...i hit myself hard for that.

THere are these anime-gurls at our school, read nothing but yaoi and have a theory that EVERYONE in the anime world is gay..cant be helped considering what all she reads and talks to me and every other word is a japanese word deperately crammed into her sentence. When i pointed it out to her today she went psycho and started calling me an anime-wannabe and stupid and ran away imitating a high pitched anime voice.....yea..
nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 18:08   Link #68
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak

THere are these anime-gurls at our school, read nothing but yaoi and have a theory that EVERYONE in the anime world is gay..cant be helped considering what all she reads and talks to me and every other word is a japanese word deperately crammed into her sentence. When i pointed it out to her today she went psycho and started calling me an anime-wannabe and stupid and ran away imitating a high pitched anime voice.....yea..
Heh.. I know the type you're talking about. ^^;; I find them annoying too, I have to admit.. But it's mainly because a lot of people assume I'm that type of girl. Since I'm a big anime fangirl, most people assume that I read yaoi and that I'm obsessed with bishonen but actually it's the complete opposite. I never ever read yaoi, I've never written a yaoi fanfic, and I don't even like the bishounen type. The guys I like are the opposite of that..

What annoys me about them is that they are the type of people who are prone to becoming elitists.. I mean, a lot of people who bash people who use Japanese or anime faces used to do it themselves. It's just that, to make themselves look smarter, they changed. I guess this is why I tend to avoid anime or cosplay crowds. In every subculture [ if you can call anime or cosplay a subculture.. ] there's a lot of elitist people. x.x

But I admit.. I don't like the reputation I have as an anime fangirl. ._.; I won't change or try to make myself look smarter or watch less anime because of this, but it still makes me kinda sad that I'm categorized this way.
Old 2004-03-11, 18:08   Link #69
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak

Heh, y'ouch!
Man that's a weird experience Me I ignore the fact that I watch anime in RL. Not that I'm embarassed, but no one watches.
There's no anime club around here in a 50 km radius

PS. what does 'yaoi' mean?
Old 2004-03-11, 18:22   Link #70
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Is there some anime slang dictionary or something out there? ; )
Cause I didn't catch half you just said.
Anyways, if that 'yaoi and bishounen' stuff isn't true, let people know right ; )
Old 2004-03-11, 18:39   Link #71
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

hmm...by reading these posts, it seems a lot of anime viewers in the States speak nonsensical Japanese...

I wonder if I should go to one of those "anime conventions" in the States that I've been hearing about and see them for myself...
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 18:50   Link #72
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak

*raises hand*
Im a yaoi fangirl -_- I wont try and defend it either

I rarely use japanese in my speech though..just because I know I'll sound stupid and also because I dont really know anyone around where I live who watches anime... so it would not only be horribly out of context but I would just confuse them. Ill be a geek at the japanese resturaunt and order Hamachi instead of Yellow tail..but thats the extent of my abilities

As for other people using it, it doesnt really annoy me..or more accurately, I havent really met anyone who uses it annoyingly.
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 18:54   Link #73
Briareos

Just like the English that's used in animes tends to be fairly grammatically poor. (Not that I'm insulted because of it or anything.)

As far as coming to an American anime convention: Come on over! The more the merrier.
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 19:25   Link #74
nak
Squishy

Send a message via AIM to nak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzurial
*raises hand*
Im a yaoi fangirl -_- I wont try and defend it either

I rarely use japanese in my speech though..just because I know I'll sound stupid and also because I dont really know anyone around where I live who watches anime... so it would not only be horribly out of context but I would just confuse them. Ill be a geek at the japanese resturaunt and order Hamachi instead of Yellow tail..but thats the extent of my abilities

As for other people using it, it doesnt really annoy me..or more accurately, I havent really met anyone who uses it annoyingly.
im sorry, i wasnt saying it as a bad thing or stereotyping/generalyzing ppl who read yaoi to act a certain way-- its just that i was just saying she read it alot to try and get ppl to understand her philosophy on anime
nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 19:31   Link #75
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
hmm...by reading these posts, it seems a lot of anime viewers in the States speak nonsensical Japanese...

I wonder if I should go to one of those "anime conventions" in the States that I've been hearing about and see them for myself...
Pffft. Has anyone ever told you the Japanese do just as many stupid things as the Americans? Except maybe us English. We do everything badly. Except walkers crisps. I've traveled round the world and sampled crisps (US= "chips") for across the world, and walkers is clearly the best. English Snacks > *
Atleast America invented Bill Gates....

Damn, that was random. Come to a con set in England. If might hear some "London slang" -_-
Which is even worse/more funny.
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 20:37   Link #76
Dark Zero

Send a message via AIM to Dark Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Shinobi
l do like naruto and l kind of find it offencing to call all naruto fans naruto groupies but all in all l dont really find it annoying when people insert japanese words into thier sentences

Whoa, guess they figured theres another forum other then the naruto one. And I said *most*, but it seems you don't know what I was refering too. Maybe if you took such offense to my statement, you fall into what I said, eh? Wow, careful I hurt your feelings by something that means nothing in life, are you that easily offended? Ps2 fanboys suck, as do Xbox ones and gamecube ones, they ruin whats good about all those things, but should they take it to heart? Grow up kid.

heres some definitions of 'fanboy' for you, and trust me, its not something good. Its not a 'true fan' of something, read on.....

DEF:
1.One who is obsessed with something and thinks people who don't like it are inferior.

2.somebody who devotes more than a 40th of their life to something and regards it as gods gift. They will be so devoted that even when u do finally convince them that its bad or horribly wrong, they will still keep their dedication. ignorance is bliss

3. Incredibly insecure and pathetic as the only thing he has to stand up for is what video game system he prefers (replace game system with anything you want to refer too)

and a simple def:

4. Person with no sense of kickass and sucking, or right and wrong, because to him, his favorite thing is always the best.

Okay, now, if you fall into any of those, by all means, my comment was towards you and I hope its burned into your mind and you rot the rest of your life watching your precious naruto.....now IF IT DOESN'T apply you, don't think anything of it, it was towards the people the def 'fanboy' applies to, Hope you don't take offense from that.

BTW, I LIKE Naruto......how you like them apples eh?! Harsh words coming from a fellow 'fan' eh? (note: not 'fanboy')

*jumps into that spanky new flamesuit*
Dark Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 20:43   Link #77
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Zero
BTW, I LIKE Naruto......how you like them apples eh?! Harsh words coming from a fellow 'fan' eh? (note: not 'fanboy')
I watch Naruto too and I think I just might be a "fanboy", as you call it. Is there some way of seeing whether or not I'm a fanboy? I seem to match your definitions...

1) I think everybody is inferior, regardless of their likes and dislikes.

2) I am very ignorant.

3) I am both insecure and pathetic, though not as much as anyone else for they are inferior to me.

4) My favorite thing is the best thing for me.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 20:46   Link #78
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Boneyjellyfish - well...you don't go around saying something is the best thing ever then try to claim it with arguments that really have no meaning cause it's all been proven wrong do you that's what the definition of a "fanboy" really is
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 20:50   Link #79
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
Boneyjellyfish - well...you don't go around saying something is the best thing ever then try to claim it with arguments that really have no meaning cause it's all been proven wrong do you that's what the definition of a "fanboy" really is
Oh... that makes sense.

LAWL OMG! INUYASHA IS THE BEST THING EVAR!
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-11, 20:51   Link #80
mono no aware

What about all the bad katakana English (e.g., kurabu = club, wandafuru raifu = wonderful life) Japanese people inject into their speech?

Last edited by mono no aware; 2004-03-11 at 21:04.
mono no aware is offline   Reply With Quote