AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody - episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 157 46.87%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 88 26.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 57 17.01%
7 out of 10 : Good 21 6.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 1.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.30%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.30%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.19%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-24, 15:36   Link #441
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Either they already knew, or they had a few setup for each high school in the area, since they have at least three at North High (or at least two at a time anyway).
Perhaps that was one of the reason's for Mikuru Big taking Mikuru Little's TPDD. Not just because it happened the first time, but to let the Data Entity know where Haruhi was going to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Asakura was modelled as a perfect interactive human interface while Yuki isn't and by normal conventions labelled an introvert girl.
Even at that, they made Yuki a little too human. She has human emotions and is attracted to Kyon. Hence the 'I want you to return" added to the message she sent him when he was in the enclosed space with Haruhi.
Old 2009-05-24, 16:07   Link #442
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
But, if the Haruhi universe has time in a linear fashion, how does one resolve the classic time paradox of going back in time to kill your father?
Simple! No-one in Haruhi tries to kill their father.

OTOH none of them seem to have parents at all, so maybe the world we are seeing is one in which mass retrospective patricide has already occurred. I think the answer ultimately is that the culprits would have to become their own parents to mend the loose ends. Which leads to the question, is Haruhi Kyon's mother, or is she his daughter? Or both?

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2009-05-24, 17:07   Link #443
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Yuki said synch. For all intents and purposes she is Yuki from the future. Unlike the frames explaination of Mikuru in season 1 Data Integration Entity are not frames in the space-time continuum. I'm going to compare them to Star Trek DS9's Wormhole aliens that do not have a concept of linear time. All time is the same for them.
I see it somewhat differently. Bearing in mind the aliens are not corporeal, they are pure information. ISTM that what Yuki is saying is you don't have to transport a physical entity across time, you only have to transfer information. If the physical Yuki in the past contains identical information to the Yuki in the future, then she is by definition the same Yuki, so transferring her actual atoms would be totally superfluous and indeed an unnecessary complication.

Whilst on the subject of Yuki's pontifications, here is some background reading for the axiomatic set theory antinomies that she was talking about (you may recognise one of the mathematicians' mugshots on that page... ):

Full article is in this blog entry

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2009-05-24, 17:25   Link #444
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
Simple! No-one in Haruhi tries to kill their father.

OTOH none of them seem to have parents at all, so maybe the world we are seeing is one in which mass retrospective patricide has already occurred. I think the answer ultimately is that the culprits would have to become their own parents to mend the loose ends. Which leads to the question, is Haruhi Kyon's mother, or is she his daughter? Or both?
I think that question warrants one of these.

Of course my follow up question to the latter of yours would be whether that means their blood is blue or their necks are red.

Quote:
Yuki said synch. For all intents and purposes she is Yuki from the future. Unlike the frames explaination of Mikuru in season 1 Data Integration Entity are not frames in the space-time continuum. I'm going to compare them to Star Trek DS9's Wormhole aliens that do not have a concept of linear time. All time is the same for them.
If the Data Overmind is the prophets then does that make Haruhi it's Emissary or would that be Yuki?
Old 2009-05-24, 18:02   Link #445
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
Regarding the Yuki being in a North High uniform, it's my view she arrived (and indeed everything happened) as a result of the message Haruhi got Kyon to draw on the playing field. Prior to that act I don't think she would have been there (arguably, depending on your world view, aliens and time travellers might not even have existed before that moment).
No. Since Mikuru can time travel to before that point, the actual THREE YEARS AGO event happened earlier, probably sometime in early April.

(When are the playoffs at Koushien again?)

So Nagato has been there, waiting. They probably stuck in a North High uniform because they were still gathering data and wanted to wait until she was in high school before making actual contact.

And, you know, placement in time means little to nonphysical aliens.
Old 2009-05-24, 18:14   Link #446
Scarlett_Rain55

It sure is nice to see everyone again.
Old 2009-05-24, 20:24   Link #447
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Their subs of season one were absolutely top notch, so I would love to follow their releases as well for season two now... but what's with the tiny non-HD .avi file? This isn't 2006 anymore. >_>
I for one, love .avi files. mkv's just don't run well on my computer.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2009-05-24, 20:56   Link #448
Vicious108

Well maybe you just need to get a better media player or codecs. And I wouldn't have minded the .avi as much if they were using the upscaled raw that other releases seemed to utilize.
Old 2009-05-24, 21:10   Link #449
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
I for one, love .avi files. mkv's just don't run well on my computer.
Do you mean MKV's or gg's MKV's, because I think it's the encoding on the latter.
Old 2009-05-24, 23:17   Link #450
FateAnomaly

The new season is fine i think. The only part that bothers me is the starting part where haruhi talks to Kyon. She seems somewhat too excited.

Anyway, i was thinking about Mikuru(small) and Mikuru(big). If Mikuru(big) is Mikuru(small) superior then wouldn't it make Mikuru presence a paradox in itself in the first place.
Old 2009-05-24, 23:20   Link #451
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Given the significance of Tanabata to her, I'd say being overly excited about it is only natural.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-05-24, 23:39   Link #452
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Whoa. a.f.k. have released a sub. Thought they'd 'retired' after four episodes of Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Good to see them back with the best of the subs I've seen for this episode.

(I always like it when people sub the credits as well.)
That sub is real? I thought it was a troll.
Old 2009-05-24, 23:51   Link #453
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
That sub is real? I thought it was a troll.
Yes, it's real as it gets. They even use the same font as season one, I think.
Old 2009-05-24, 23:59   Link #454
Skullator
Ism

Judging by this weeks episode

Speedsub - Dattebayo
Best quality - Coalgirls (Upscale)
Best translation - A.F.K

Archiving coalgirls, untill it gets a Bluray'd which I'm sure it will.
Old 2009-05-25, 00:14   Link #455
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
If the Data Overmind is the prophets then does that make Haruhi it's Emissary or would that be Yuki?
Haruhi is a Q.
Old 2009-05-25, 00:20   Link #456
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

a.f.k. released their subs. I'm convinced that a.f.k.'s is my favorite subber of KyoAni shows, in particular the Haruhi series.

I had no problem at all resuming this series. While the 3 year gap is something I'm well aware of, that awareness has no bearing at all upon my anticipation and enjoyment of the episode. That's just the way it is I suppose with the things you love. The 3 years in-between might just as well have been one month, because I watch this series over and over again anyway that I feel as though there had been no gap or loss of momentum.

In one sense, I kinda envy you fans who haven't read the novels and are watching this ep and coming upon its story for the first time. I've read up to vol 8, and I just know well in advance what's going on, so my appreciation for the new episode isn't necessarily diminished but instead grounds itself on seeing how faithful the adaptation is to the novel chapter. Of course, no printed page or cute illustration can ever satisfactorily substitute KyoAni's gorgeous visuals and exciting sounds, and the VA casts' distinctive voices that bring the characters to life and to our own familiarity. Now, let's hear them use some more classical music. Give me Stravinsky's Firebird, or Tchaikovsky's Pathetique Symphony, or Rachmaninov's #3, or Hindemith's Die Harmonie der Welt.
Old 2009-05-25, 00:23   Link #457
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Haruhi is a Q.
One that doesn't realize her Q-ness, I take it? Or maybe she does and is just pretending to not know.

I love that theory. Brings Haruhi in line with the rest of the cast of blatant liars
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-05-25, 00:50   Link #458
Peanutbutter

Watching the a.f.k subs, I finally understood the awkwardness while watching BLR raw and BLR by DB-LE.

Haruhi is a.f.k and a.f.k is Haruhi.

It just doesn't feel the same when watching Haruhi subbed by others. After watching a.f.k's subs for this, I think I'm really convinced that Haruhi "second season" has started.

Really, a.f.k just seems to have that extra edge in subbing and everything else compared to others. I'm very, very glad that they're back and prompt as well, similar to how Haruhi has been "in exile" for three years.

Strato, if you're reading this, I love you dude.
Old 2009-05-25, 01:15   Link #459
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

maybe someone should rip afk's subs and put it on one of them high quality 720p RAWs
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2009-05-25, 01:50   Link #460
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Really, a.f.k just seems to have that extra edge in subbing and everything else compared to others. I'm very, very glad that they're back and prompt as well, similar to how Haruhi has been "in exile" for three years.
I felt Mazui had the superior sub this time, and provided it's not a one-time deal I'd stick with them.

a.f.k. had the best subs the first time around and they're still superior to most of the groups, but in the three years since Haruhi I haven't really seen much improvement.

Other subbers are making their mark on the scene as well.
Closed Thread