AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-30, 10:05   Link #1
BelldandyMai

Serious Romance Anime WITHOUT Comedy

I'm searching for Serious Romance Anime WITHOUT Comedy. I have watched Please Teacher and Ah! My Goddess. I'm searching for related ones. No COMEDY. It should be emotional and would make me cry. Any suggestions?
Old 2011-04-30, 10:58   Link #2
mecharobot

There is almost always some degree of comedy or a more light air going on. However I think the closest you can find are Ef a tale of memories and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. Probably Shinkai Makoto movies as well, Byousoku 5 Centimeter at least. You may also be interested in Saishuuheiki Kanojo, which I think is a bit too excessive, but it certainly wasn't humorous in the veins of Please Teacher and the likes.

If you don't mind historical settings, you could try Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku Hen or Rose of Versailles. All these titles are quite dramatic, I think. Then there is also a bit more light hearted, adventurous romance tale called Allison & Lillia, which wasn't bloated with the usual anime humor.
Old 2011-04-30, 11:02   Link #3
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Seconding 5cm per second

That's the most dramatic one I can think of
Old 2011-04-30, 11:02   Link #4
BelldandyMai

Thanks. I've heard that Ef: A Tale of Memories is great. But I'll be watching first Byousoku 5 Centimeter. If you have more suggestions, please inform me. Thanks for your help.
Old 2011-04-30, 11:03   Link #5
BelldandyMai

Is 5 Centimetes per Second emotional? If I have a soft heart, will it make me cry? Just wondering.
Old 2011-04-30, 11:54   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelldandyMai View Post
Is 5 Centimetes per Second emotional? If I have a soft heart, will it make me cry? Just wondering.
I think that may be the understatement of the century. If you have a heart, I can't imagine you won't find it emotional.

I'd also suggest Bokura ga Ita, which has a little humor but is really focused hard on the romance aspect.
Old 2011-04-30, 12:26   Link #7
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

You can also watch Yosuga no Sora, which contains some comedy moments but the series has a lot of drama and romance. They contains some sex scenes in it, but I find the whole series a little tragic but touching, very good and nice. And you can also watch KEY anime like Kanon, Air, Clannad, which all features some comedy scenes but full of drama and romance.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2011-04-30, 14:04   Link #8
Aqua Knight

White Album

I rarely see this anime as recommendation, despite it being so awesome.
Old 2011-04-30, 14:24   Link #9
JRendell
Manga Addict

Mm, I'll second Murasaki in his White Album suggestion.

You can also try Myself;Yourself
Old 2011-04-30, 14:42   Link #10
Akashin

I could not recommend Ef: A Tale of Memories (can't vouch for the sequel yet) enough, but as that has already been recommended I'll follow the likes of Myself;Yourself with sola and True Tears. Of the two I particularly recommend sola, but that's just because I absolutely loved it personally.
Old 2011-04-30, 16:00   Link #11
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelldandyMai View Post
I found it irritating myself. If I'd cried, it would have been out of annoyance over how lame and useless the main character was.
Old 2011-04-30, 16:44   Link #12
mecharobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
I found it irritating myself. If I'd cried, it would have been out of annoyance over how lame and useless the main character was.
Actually I don't like them either, but it's still a good recommendation. If you happen to like that movie, you'll like the other works of Shinkai Makoto as well. If not, then there is no reason to watch as they're pretty much the same thing.
Old 2011-04-30, 21:47   Link #13
Mr.Garfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
Go read the novel
I think you'll feel more sympathy with the characters (yes, all of them, mainchar included)
Sorry if you've read it already.

Btw i recommend True Tears, i think it's good
and all other works of Makoto Shinkai
Old 2011-05-01, 05:23   Link #14
BelldandyMai

Thanks for your help everyone. I think I'll start with 5 Centimeters per Second.
Old 2011-05-01, 06:00   Link #15
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Yeah. Go watch 5cm per Second first.

Other than that I'll second Ef A Tale of Memories, Saishuu Heiki Kanojo and Sola.
Old 2011-05-01, 06:14   Link #16
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Garfield View Post
and all other works of Makoto Shinkai
As soon as you mentioned Makoto, I thought of.... School Days.
Old 2011-05-01, 12:27   Link #17
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
It's very hard to find a romance that doesn't have some comedy in it, as comedy is a natural fit with romance. The ones you listed as having already seen are more heavily on the comedic side though. I can think of several that have some comedy but are more focused on the romantic side and can make you cry.

Byousoku 5 Centimeter is the only one I can think of that isn't humorous at all.

Cross Game and Touch by Adachi have comedic moments but I'd say they are romances first before comedy, and both certainly can make you cry.

Kimi Ni Todoke is light hearted fluffy romance, it certainly has some comedy, but it is clearly focused on the romance elements. If it makes you cry it will be from happiness.

Honey and Clover has comedy, but to me it seemed more an ode to unrequited love. Made me cry.

Clannad After Story is to my mind a romance story without a lot of comedy, but you'd have to watch season one first to understand it, and season one does emphasize the comedy.

Whisper of the Heart maybe? It's romance is pretty low key, but it is there. It's mainly a coming of age story, but you might like it.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-05-01, 13:16   Link #18
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

For God sake, watch 5 Centimeters Per Second!

I also recommend Bungaku Shoujo and True Tears though there is some comedy in both but not a lot.
Old 2011-05-01, 14:18   Link #19
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I also recommend Bungaku Shoujo and True Tears though there is some comedy in both but not a lot.
I'll second Bungaku Shoujo, it was very good and didn't really have much comedy at all.
MAL
Old 2011-05-01, 15:42   Link #20
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I'll second Bungaku Shoujo, it was very good and didn't really have much comedy at all.
I'll third it,I knew I had one in mind and that was it