AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2005-12-25, 22:59   Link #1
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

A quick request to typesetters

I've noticed this recently becoming a bigger issue then ever and it needs to stop. Please stop using fonts and FX that make it damn near impossible to read the translations or karaoke of an anime. It is going too far. Yeah there is a "wow this is cool" amount to anything but when it defeats the purposs for which it is originally there for then it is pointless ego flexing. Yes we all know you are good at coding in textsub or in AFX, thats nice, wonderful even, congrats to you. Bottom line, it looks like crap. The honeymoon is over, grow up already.

Why do you think the guy you thought had such cool fx years ago are still using sorta the same type of fx. It's not cause thats all they know how to do. It's cause it works. If you wanna do cool fx and get props, then make demos. But if you are going to sub something for people to read, then make it READABLE! Select fonts that are easy to read. Dont just think about if you can read it, think of can EVERYONE read this. Don't go using fx that totally remove the point of karaoke. Making fx where the words appear as they are said is _RETARDED_, how do viewers know what the next syllable is. FX that completely cover a syllable or make it totally unreadable are silly too.

All I hope you all get from this is a since of thinking a little bit deeper into your work then just "wow this looks cool". If thats all you think about then you don't deserve to call yourself a typesetter.

you are all now free to flame away ;p
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 23:03   Link #2
Kanna
The Triad
*Fansubber

WHEER!

With that aside, I totally agree. So much in fact that we already stopped using karaoke altogether.
Kanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 23:06   Link #3
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

I concurr (with the original post, not Kanna's :P)
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 23:07   Link #4
Asura Zanmaden
A-E Timer/Slacker

Send a message via AIM to Asura Zanmaden Send a message via Yahoo to Asura Zanmaden
Shut up, you hippy! :O
Asura Zanmaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 23:07   Link #5
Quixzlizx
Banned

Exploding karaoke ftw.
Quixzlizx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 23:08   Link #6
Kanna
The Triad
*Fansubber

Pantsu karaoke > you!

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=19302OJBJH&i=743811
Kanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 23:10   Link #7
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

>.< screw you assera!

I'm not a f'n hippy!!!1111
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 23:11   Link #8
Quixzlizx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanna
Pantsu karaoke > you!
As long as you don't use it in any Nanoha or Key show.
Quixzlizx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 23:12   Link #9
jongu
To Ride On Little Lolis

rawr

geyfresh is gonna r0x0r ur asses narutardz and bleacherz
--------------------------------------------

oh something to add:
here is an example of what geyfresh might mean, even tho I don't think its that accurate but it does express (maybe even exaggerate) what geyfresh means
http://s30.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...N1GCB3YTUNLVI6
have fun watching!
Original source from KKDM,
Secondary source from Maceart & Ladholyman

Last edited by jongu; 2005-12-25 at 23:52.
jongu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 23:13   Link #10
Ruisu
勇気ある者

Send a message via AIM to Ruisu
Bullet karaoke > ALL

kthxbye
Ruisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 23:17   Link #11
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
getfresh is mad ! watchout

i would like to see hooks and more explosions?

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 23:25   Link #12
Tommy Feb6
Lonely in Gorgeous, Yeah~

People read those subtitles?
Tommy Feb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 23:53   Link #13
DryFire
Panda Herder

Seeing as I usually skip the op and ed or when I when I do I don't read the karaoke I think it's quite a waste of time, and if it is done I see no reason to do make it overly complex.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 03:00   Link #14
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

While you're ranting about that, I'd like to add that having both romaji and kanji karaoke is pointless. I could see a point to having one or the other, but not both (feel free to discuss this point too). Too bad I'm not a trendsetter though, I follow the masses like a sheep and put both in
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 03:09   Link #15
naka

so you prefer full hiragana/katakana/kanji/furigana karaoke?

romanji looks ugly imo... and only serve a point for people who can't read hiragana/katakana/furigana (uh....95+% of the sub watchers?)

screw karaoke effects, just put the lyric on one line, translation on the other, and be done with it, less work, less fuss, both sides happy
naka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 06:04   Link #16
LytHka
Banned

I guess I'm one of those people who started appreciating karaoke right when I started watching fansubs. I want karaoke to stay in, kanji + romaji + translation. Actually, I think the translation is the most wasteful part of the karaoke, since I almost never read it. My first anime series episode watch is usually looking at the OP ED animation and listening to the songs, while on later episodes I focus on learning the lyrics. I like music, I like singing. I like good, readable karaoke with simple on-sylabble effects. If it has a nice transition effect I don't mind as long as it is done so that I get to see the words earlier than they're sung.

One karaoke I truly enjoy these days is Doremi's Mai Otome OP karaoke. It has a simple glow effect, nice enough colours and lines appear fast enough to be read. I like it so much that I download their subs exclusively for that reason (while they could possibly do better at translation/editing ) while Static-Subs' "superior" (quoted) version doesn't have the decency to show any sylabbles beforehand in their OP. They *appear* on-sylabble. I mean... screw that.

Karaoke should be simple, yes, but they should include all forms of text (translation, romaji, kanji) because there is a variety of people's tastes out there. I read both romaji and kanji.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 06:25   Link #17
DaFool
Resident devil

If I am not mistaken the very first karaoke fansub was Anime-Otaku's Mahoromatic Season 1, around ep 3 or 5. If I'm not mistaken Anime-Otakus was one of the 3 founding subgroups that became The Triad.

For the record I really liked Miyuki Fansubs' karaoke of Yamibou. Big Bold Letters that zip across the screen just like the credits, one of which was the Big Bold 'Getfresh' in its full typesetting glory.

I also don't bother to read the words in the karaoke at all, I just watch the boingy boingy and zipping and boom and sparkle and shiet.

BTW, what show is that pantsu karaoke from? Petopeto-san? Ichigo Mashimaro? I need to catch up on some backlog. Pantsu = good motivation
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 06:53   Link #18
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I think I've tried hard to make all the karaoke I've ever done perfectly easy to read. My effects are always simple, mainly because I don't like to spend TOO much time on it .
And I know some people appreciate it, because I've actually gotten comments like "your karaoke was beautiful", which really made my day...

Actually, I'd be curious to get people's honest opinions on the various karaokes I've made, as it's very hard to get unbiased opinions in a group where only you know how to karaoke... so if anyone's seen arienai-conclave's ginban kaleidoscope release, the opening to arienai's tide-line blue, or, say, the insert karaoke for pretty cure episode 49 (or the prince of tennis musical, for that matter...) did anyone find those hard to read or too distracting?
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 09:06   Link #19
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Joined up, curly writing really gets me. It's like trying to read the notes my teacher wrote on that essay all over again :/

Don't do it! ^^
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 10:22   Link #20
Asura Zanmaden
A-E Timer/Slacker

Send a message via AIM to Asura Zanmaden Send a message via Yahoo to Asura Zanmaden
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
If I am not mistaken the very first karaoke fansub was Anime-Otaku's Mahoromatic Season 1, around ep 3 or 5. If I'm not mistaken Anime-Otakus was one of the 3 founding subgroups that became The Triad.

For the record I really liked Miyuki Fansubs' karaoke of Yamibou. Big Bold Letters that zip across the screen just like the credits, one of which was the Big Bold 'Getfresh' in its full typesetting glory.

I also don't bother to read the words in the karaoke at all, I just watch the boingy boingy and zipping and boom and sparkle and shiet.

BTW, what show is that pantsu karaoke from? Petopeto-san? Ichigo Mashimaro? I need to catch up on some backlog. Pantsu = good motivation
Wrong.

Anime-Otakus was NOT one of the founding subgroups of Triad. It was NewLifeAnime, Anime-Fansubs, and Ishin-(insert whatever dumb name).

I believe it was both NewLifeAnime and Anime-Fansubs that started the karaoke craze. Anime-Fansubs being the first to karaoke anything and NewLifeAnime was the first to karaoke kanji or romanji.

Some shit like that.
Asura Zanmaden is offline   Reply With Quote