Notices

Old 2020-10-23, 05:48   Link #141
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
After onidamashi arc, my assumptions are the following:
Spoiler:

It is worth noting that Keiichi was unconscious/in a coma for weeks considering his parents and Mion's reactions. The "two days" thing was a referrence to Mion complaining Keiichi was out of Hinamizawa for "ages" even if it only lasted 2 days. That's why he was like "huh, I guess it isn't 2 days this time".

As for my general opinion, I'd rather wait for the second and third arcs to have a proper take on Gou in general. It could be either some filler similar to PS2/DS arcs, or it could give a new spin. From my perspective, it seems Gou is giving a new kind of "enemy/rule" to Rika and how things can go extremely south.
As for the production values, I must admit that Gou had a weak execution when it comes to creepy stuff and the likes. Most scenes involving horror and thrills are pretty tame or badly timed/presented. I was pretty disappointed how Keiichi and Ooishi discussions were "talking heads" with little weight to the atmosphere, while Rena's usoda scene lacked a lot of punch because it couldn't let the mood sink (no transition from unsettling BGM to silence + crows flying away etc).
However, Gou gives more justice to the kids considering the club activities and banters are closer to the original story.

Design wise, it is fine although the color palette is a bit too agressive compared to the original.
Realistically and medically speaking, someone with that amount of stab injuries and resultant blood loss isn't going to be speaking and sitting on their bed in just two days, no matter how many bags of blood products you transfuse in that time (and you can't really transfuse so much in a short amount of time anyway).
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 05:51   Link #142
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Yes and it is very likely Keiichi was discovered by his parents the very next day, so I believe they really do that to make it obvious "something aint right".
That said, Keiichi was definitely in a life threatening situation, which explains his parents reactions, Ooishi not being pushy (since self defense is obvious in this case) and Mion's mention of a miracle.

By the way, the nurse design is uncanningly similar to the one who killed Satoko in Yakusamashi (S2 original prologue arc). So yeah.
Old 2020-10-23, 08:03   Link #143
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So is it okay to mention events from the original series? Do we need to keep them under spoiler tags? I'm not too clear on the rules.

Has the staff said anything about who the target audience is? Original fans, new viewers, both?

I wonder how they will handle the next arc. This one was some sort of mix between Onikakushi and its answer arc, but Watanagashi and its answer arc are pretty much the same with a change of POV so not sure what they'll do to surprise us.
Old 2020-10-23, 08:11   Link #144
SidVicious
Anime addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
So is it okay to mention events from the original series? Do we need to keep them under spoiler tags? I'm not too clear on the rules.

Has the staff said anything about who the target audience is? Original fans, new viewers, both?

I wonder how they will handle the next arc. This one was some sort of mix between Onikakushi and its answer arc, but Watanagashi and its answer arc are pretty much the same with a change of POV so not sure what they'll do to surprise us.
Since this is a sequel...maybe?
Old 2020-10-23, 08:48   Link #145
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 4:

horrifying battle with Mad Rena!!

the alarm clock remove Rena's hp, before Keichi ran out of hp himself. lol
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 09:20   Link #146
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You are free to not use spoiler tags when it comes discussing Gou with previous series/games, since Gou blatantly expose information that shouldn't be known at that point and obviously give a very different impression as result. Going to edit the title and opening post of the thread.
As usual, feel free to use spoiler tags for your assumptions/theories for sake of courtesy, although the other thread is much better for that (and for expectations/speculations for the other arcs).
Quote:
IIRC, Ryukishi stated this series was meant to be enjoyed for by newcomers and veterans alike.
To be really honest, it feels like lip service that is meant to attract as many people as possible, but that's about it.
Old 2020-10-23, 09:55   Link #147
maximilianjenus
[E]

I think the person who killed Rika and satoko was Rena, the modus operandi is the same, and if Rika tried to help Rena, that is enough to trigger Rena against her.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 12:03   Link #148
grecefar

Rika previous knowledged didn't help at all, I knew it wasn't going to be that easy. Rena got HS because there were two disappearance and no deads so she thought oyashiro-sama would get her, so take the matter with her own hands to make a balance I think, she killed satoko and rika to made things right but she was already far in the syndorme so she didn't stop.I think it went this way...

It was a mix of onikakushi, tsumihoboroshi and some original, there are clues in the original that we can't forget like irie clinic remodeling.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 13:52   Link #149
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, I did like how they showed everything, with Keiichi seeing that broadcast that probably triggered everything, and then "Rena" getting back up after being taken out and stabbing him School Days style while being simply impervious to everything. We thought the needle was bad, but it could be much worse. And because this is being shown without Keiichi being able to see it, this means Rena did really bring the deadly armory. Although I never remembered Rena being so thorough; that sounds like something I'd expect from Shion.

So Keiichi was doing fine until Rena decided to kill him which sent him down the spiral, but even with this, he didn't die until the Nurse did him in.

It looks like a failure, but with people still remembering things from the past timelines again makes me wonder if there will be more help and resolve from the friends in the last arcs. He did pretty good considering all things.

Also it looks like Rika took herself out with Satoko as a mercy kill due to l5? Yikes.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 13:58   Link #150
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Looking around I've seen three main theories about what happened:

1) Rena L5. According to this theory what K1 saw was mostly the truth. Rena went through the same events of Tsumihoroboshi with some variance and everything was narrated through K1's perspective giving it the illusion that it was Onikakushi.

2) K1 L5. According to this theory what K1 saw was mostly a delusion. Rena never tried to hurt him, but he killed her thinking that she was trying to. So this would be pretty similar to Onikakushi, but with some twist.

3) Third party killer. According to this theory the real killer is a third party. In other words a 3rd party was present during K1 and Rena's encounter, and this 3rd party killed both of them, though due to HS or something, K1 believes it was Rena who assaulted him. The same 3rd party killer the day after killed Satoko and Rika in a similar way.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 14:17   Link #151
Jaden

I'm going with number 1.

Don't like 2, because Keiichi opening the door and trusting Rena again isn't consistent with L5.

Don't like 3, because it wasn't foreshadowed.

As for how Rika and Satoko died, my theory is Rika did it. I think she might be more ruthless this time around, so when she realized that she got it wrong and her friend died, she immediately committed suicide to return by death. Satoko got in the way, trying to stop her, so Rika killed her first.
Old 2020-10-23, 15:52   Link #152
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:

What I saw in an official tweet from the show account (can't find it at the moment, just my discussion with someone over it) was 完全 新作 which roughly translates to "completely new work". I don't think we have clear confirmation one way or the other. I feel like it might still be a sequel but I guess we won't know until the end of the first cour at the very least.
Old 2020-10-23, 18:39   Link #153
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
What I saw in an official tweet from the show account (can't find it at the moment, just my discussion with someone over it) was 完全 新作 which roughly translates to "completely new work". I don't think we have clear confirmation one way or the other. I feel like it might still be a sequel but I guess we won't know until the end of the first cour at the very least.
We already know it's a sequel, the scene with Rika and Hanyuu made that clear at the beginning of episode two. But it could be a newbie friendly sequel, even if it's really not the impression I get.

As for the theories above, 2 can be crossed out. Keiichi was genuinely injured, nobody was treating him like a murderer, and as mentioned above, we were shown Rena unveiling her killing tools without Keiichi seeing it so it can't have been a hallucination.
Old 2020-10-23, 18:50   Link #154
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
We already know it's a sequel, the scene with Rika and Hanyuu made that clear at the beginning of episode two. But it could be a newbie friendly sequel, even if it's really not the impression I get.
It might not strictly require knowledge of the previous episodes, but it has already spoiled Hanyuu, the fact that Rika can repeat the events and knows what's going on, K1 flashback memory also reveals the ending of Onikakushi (not like the ending song isn't spoiling it even more). I can only see that kind of "spoilers" only increase from now on.

So in the end if someone doesn't want to get spoiled on key information regarding the original run of Higurashi, they really shouldn't be here.

Old 2020-10-23, 19:56   Link #155
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

What's the possibility that this ending means that someone actually managed to make the elusive cure for Lv.5?
Old 2020-10-24, 06:24   Link #156
Liddo-kun
is this so?

I remember a stabbing victim here in my country, she received about 40 stab wounds. She survived, and was able to identify her attacker. And she ended up in the exact bedridden situation as K1 in the anime. So for me, it's believable he survived the 28+ stabs from Rena.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-24, 16:29   Link #157
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Looking around I've seen three main theories about what happened:

1) Rena L5. According to this theory what K1 saw was mostly the truth. Rena went through the same events of Tsumihoroboshi with some variance and everything was narrated through K1's perspective giving it the illusion that it was Onikakushi.

2) K1 L5. According to this theory what K1 saw was mostly a delusion. Rena never tried to hurt him, but he killed her thinking that she was trying to. So this would be pretty similar to Onikakushi, but with some twist.

3) Third party killer. According to this theory the real killer is a third party. In other words a 3rd party was present during K1 and Rena's encounter, and this 3rd party killed both of them, though due to HS or something, K1 believes it was Rena who assaulted him. The same 3rd party killer the day after killed Satoko and Rika in a similar way.
I think it's neither of the three. First of all, chances are high that both Rena and Keiichi went L5. Keiichi in this arc had no way to know of the throat-clawing nature of L5, which leads me to believe that at least initially what he saw of Rena trying to kill him was real. On the other hand, the carnage after Keiichi beat Rena with the clock looked just too absurd to be true and with the final scene we know that Keiichi ended up L5. Why I believe that no third-party killer was involved is because I think neither Mion's nor Oishi's reaction match the reaction of an unsolved murder (which it would be if we go by the third-party killer theory) in respect to Rena's death. Especially Oishi's questioning line is in my eyes a fairly obvious rebuke of that theory. He didn't ask Keiichi whether he saw anybody else or whatever. He simply asked Keiichi what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
I think the person who killed Rika and satoko was Rena, the modus operandi is the same, and if Rika tried to help Rena, that is enough to trigger Rena against her.
I'm not sure about that. The way Mion phrased it, it sounded like they were still alive when Keiichi was found. Have to wonder what effect the 'remodeling' of Irie clinic had on Satoko's treatment. Maybe Satoko went L5 and killed Rika and herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
I remember a stabbing victim here in my country, she received about 40 stab wounds. She survived, and was able to identify her attacker. And she ended up in the exact bedridden situation as K1 in the anime. So for me, it's believable he survived the 28+ stabs from Rena.
That depends on the location and depth of the stab wounds. It's hard to generalize like this. Although, I don't think if Keiichi really got stabbed like that he could sit on the bed like this within such a short timeframe.
Old 2020-10-24, 19:30   Link #158
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I wonder how long until they again explain Hinamizawa Syndrome. It's been long enough I've forgotten the levels. Hopefully this time they'll become a little clearer about just what it is and how it works.
Spoiler for the syndrome and my speculations:

In any case, could someone re-post the levels and their relative symptoms?

Also, as far as Rika and Satoko, I suspect Satoko was killed by someone, but once Satoko was dead Rika took her own life just like she'd done in previous arcs to begin her next loop. Really it seems like the last loop or two of the original were very lucky: everyone retained various memories that helped them to recognize when they were slipping into a dark place or when their actions could cause problems. That said, the very last one seemed to ignore questions of whether anyone remembered anything and simply had Rika tell everyone what was happening, what the villain's plan and theories were and then got their help. I was honestly surprised that this time she kept quiet. I wonder if it's because Hanyuu wasn't there (similarly I wonder if she'll ever be able to come back in full again, hope so I liked her).
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-24, 20:20   Link #159
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Spoiler for Hinamizawa syndrome:

Regarding the various arguments that Keichi couldn't know certain key factors therefore they must be real, I don't think they are particularly solid because we have proof that Keichi remembered events from Onikakushi. It is therefore entirely plausible that in his delusion he affixed memories of past iterations to the present without realizing it.

Old 2020-10-25, 00:06   Link #160
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well for all we know there might actually be a Queen this time...

That said, considering that it has been weeks since Keiichi recovered and Rika died and the village apparently still stands, the Queen theory most likely is still untrue.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote