AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-06-23, 23:35   Link #21
angela21

my advice would be to just get lessons if you can. books dont really do justice when it comes to actually playing. they only teach you technical stuff you need to know.

technique is best learned from an experienced piano/guitar teacher.

even if money is the problem, i'd suggest it. you should try your absolute best to improve quickly and practice as much as you can. that way you can choose to end lessons or not. the basics should be learned even though you really should stick with a teacher till the end.

i still have a teacher who corrects me on my technique. it's hard to keep track of everything.
angela21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-24, 08:38   Link #22
innominate
hiatus almost permanent

Hmm... a way to keep track of your progress would be to record yourself and listen to your own mistakes... ^^. Also, always try find a reference when playing, if not you'd be playing the same mistakes over and over again without really knowing it.

I've been playing for about... dunno 11 years I guess. ><. I take lessons, but I taught myself to play be ear.
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-24, 21:44   Link #23
ibreatheanime

I take piano and guitar lessons, and I highly recomend them, because a teacher will point out your mistakes, even when you don't notice them.

However if you have to teach yourself, read up on reading music, because its hard to play piano if you can't read your music.

Be sure to start simple.
ibreatheanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-24, 23:34   Link #24
Yakult

Err this is interesting because those two instruments are what interest me the most currently. When I was young I was forced to play the piano and eventually my resistance overpowered my parents forceful teaching so I stopped. However I regret it now since there are so many amazing pianist.. only if I could play some of those complex songs. If I have had basic music exposure (I've played the trumpet, trombone, piano before), think it'll be easy to pick up the piano once again and the guitar since it seems that I already have the ability to read music, just lacking the practice?
Yakult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 01:40   Link #25
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

First things first.
Start with open chords first and then barre chords(proper chords not the power chords). Learn about time patterns and different strumming techniques. Once you can form a major an a minor chord in open and barre formation start trying leads. Learning chords first allows you do get a couple of songs down at least mainly from the singer songwriter era.

Learn the major and minor pentatonic scales to develop the finger dexterity to do Eddie Van Halen/Joe Satriani style leads (don't know who that is? If you ever get serious about guitar you'll find out). there's different pickng styles producing different sounds

Tab is useful but if you expect to learn proper guitar techniques stay away until you have a grasp of the basics. Tab is excellent once you have the basic technique down, because it will have things like tapping, string bending, artificial/natural harmonics, sweep picking, sweep arpeggios, hammer on and pulloffs (depending on what you listen to) that will just be too difficult to incorporate into your playing at this stage. Once you have the finger strength and familiarity with the fretboard
these techniques are so much easier to deal with.

Also you have not said what king of guitar. Do you plan on acoustic or do you plan on an electric.

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-06-25 at 02:08.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 04:08   Link #26
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
i tried to teach myself to play guitar, still trying to right now
however there's one bad thing that always gets me int he way of playing an instrument: my skill with my right hand is very high, i am a good drawer, can draw and paint anything and copy anything because i just have complete control over every finger and hand muscle in my hand, however what i gained in my right hand from birth is what i lost in my left hand at the same time, i can do anything with my right hand whereas my left hand is kinda useless, i can do basic stuff like hold things, type etc. but if i were to raw with my left hand i wouldnt be able to set a straight line, this has given me many limitations when it comes to playing instruments and it is very annoying cause my left hand isnt as quick and easely moveable as my right, i gues i should train ym left hand but thatll take me a long time that i know already.. or i should get a left handed guitar lol, do the coords with my right hand and hammer with my left XD (and that when being right handed.. i also eat like a left handed when it comes to knifes and forks, dont know why i am just capable of using them a lot faster and easier when i switch em over)
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 04:29   Link #27
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
i tried to teach myself to play guitar, still trying to right now
however there's one bad thing that always gets me int he way of playing an instrument: my skill with my right hand is very high, i am a good drawer, can draw and paint anything and copy anything because i just have complete control over every finger and hand muscle in my hand, however what i gained in my right hand from birth is what i lost in my left hand at the same time, i can do anything with my right hand whereas my left hand is kinda useless, i can do basic stuff like hold things, type etc. but if i were to raw with my left hand i wouldnt be able to set a straight line, this has given me many limitations when it comes to playing instruments and it is very annoying cause my left hand isnt as quick and easely moveable as my right, i gues i should train ym left hand but thatll take me a long time that i know already.. or i should get a left handed guitar lol, do the coords with my right hand and hammer with my left XD (and that when being right handed.. i also eat like a left handed when it comes to knifes and forks, dont know why i am just capable of using them a lot faster and easier when i switch em over)
Just get a left hand guitar,
i know a lot of people who are right handed,
but play on left handed instruments.
The chords are just mirrored, so it is not a big deal.
Just remember some basic chords, like E, A, D, C and G, go into a shop,
ask for a lefty guitar and give it a try.
All you need is some rhythm feeling in your left arm/hand
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 05:44   Link #28
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Just bear in mind that while there are more lefty guitars than ever, they are generally more expensive than righty's and not every right handed guitar has a lefty version.

But really you are underestimating the importance of the strumming/picking hand. The more you advance into guitar the more you will realise that picking is just as important as fretting the chords/notes. It's just not a case of bashing down and up strokes.

watch this and tell me what's more important, All use different picking techniques
Fingerstyle
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2DctCyO-E3s
2 handed tapping, alternate picking, tremolo picking
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1wuBFfALs
Sweep picking, alternate pickng, two handed tapping
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ywo0Mc8ELEg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dKizJCS9z6k

fast accurate picking is just as important (LOOK AT WHERE THIS KID IS LOOKING AND CONCENTRATING ON ON THE FASTER PASSAGES)as clean fretwork
http://youtube.com/watch?v=C9cOfQZYITk
for a note to sound a pick stroke corresponds. bear that in mind. You can fret as many notes as you like, buy if you can't pick fast/accurate enough it's only 1/2 the equation. You can use as much gain as you want but without the picking technique it's pointless.

Look up Tommy Emmanuel, Shawn Lane, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai on youtube, look at their work particularly the concert/live footage. It's a combined effort between picking and fretting

Buy a basic chord book, learn basic chords, then go see a teacher. The teacher is there to correct technique problems. The theory can be learned on your own, but the application is better demonstrated by a good teacher.

If you do decide to buy a guitar whether an acoustic or electric, lefty or righty, there are certain things you heed to keep an eye out for. But I'll save that for later.

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-06-25 at 08:04. Reason: Original clips were copyrighted
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 08:30   Link #29
SpiffyBiff

Send a message via AIM to SpiffyBiff
Learning/purchasing guitar?

I am looking to buy my first guitar (electric), as well as teach myself to play. Can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of what to buy? I have plenty of money, but of course, I'd rather spend a minimal amount.
SpiffyBiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 10:08   Link #30
Jill Valentine

i taught my self the piano and now i am a proffessional pianist, if you want to teach your self the piano you should have good books and if you realy want it to be easy yo must have at least someone who knows how to play the piano.
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 10:49   Link #31
Coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomCL View Post
I am looking to buy my first guitar (electric), as well as teach myself to play. Can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of what to buy? I have plenty of money, but of course, I'd rather spend a minimal amount.
I'd say a good first begining electric guitar would be a Fender Stratocaster. Thats what I started with. Not to pricy, and has a good sound (as well the amp has much to do with it).
Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 13:59   Link #32
Sides

I would go for a G&L guitar. The korean build ones are acutally pretty decent. An Invader or S-500 is quite nice. But i personally would go for an ASAT. (Big tele fan ^^). Don't go for a cheap guitar, you will regret it. Having saying that the fender Highway 1 series are pretty good, unless you want vintage/reissued i would recommend the japanese build 62s telecaster or one of those mexican 50, 60 classic player. Got a mexican 60s classic telecaster myself. Best to do is try it out in a shop, because all guitar have a unique sound and build to them, and choose the one you like, sound and handling. Important is to check the fretboard, they do differ in size.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote