Old 2021-07-26, 16:26   Link #21
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

The captain's really annoying.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-27, 17:20   Link #22
Alchemist007
*Author

Unforutnately, the op/ed kind of spoils this sort of cliffhanger.
Old 2021-08-08, 01:06   Link #23
Thor's Hammer

Not surprising to anyone who was following the show, and there was was foreshadowing with him having a book with outdated rules and that damage to his bedroom wall, Minato was never really a prodigy but someone who excelled sheerly due to hard work.

I think this might be a split-cour show. There's no way these guys will be ready to compete against Minato's former teammates during this cour considering they're just not competitive at all, and nearly half of the show is over.
Thor's Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-09, 02:39   Link #24
Dop
Mmmm....

I do like the way this show is doing things in a matter of fact way and not pulling any shortcuts.

The way it depicted his recovery after waking from coma as something that took months in hospital and then months of extra physical therapy to be able to walk without a stick.
The way it didn't pull a "I jumped in the water polo pool and all my memories came flooding back!" card but his memories have not returned, may never return, and he's still having therapy for that.
The way this week it showed that he wasn't a top player because he was some kind of uber-skilled prodigy, but because he put in a lot of bloody hard work to get to that level!

That just gives the show a real grounding and I appreciate it for that.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-09, 03:43   Link #25
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I do like the way this show is doing things in a matter of fact way and not pulling any shortcuts.

The way it depicted his recovery after waking from coma as something that took months in hospital and then months of extra physical therapy to be able to walk without a stick.
The way it didn't pull a "I jumped in the water polo pool and all my memories came flooding back!" card but his memories have not returned, may never return, and he's still having therapy for that.
The way this week it showed that he wasn't a top player because he was some kind of uber-skilled prodigy, but because he put in a lot of bloody hard work to get to that level!

That just gives the show a real grounding and I appreciate it for that.
I agree, but I hate that people around him keep treating like he's the player he used to be, and get disappointed when he shows he isn't.
Old 2021-08-09, 05:55   Link #26
Dop
Mmmm....

Yeah, there are an awful lot of unrealistic expectations coming from the rest!
Old 2021-08-17, 13:45   Link #27
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Oh yeah, I'm liking this show a lot aside from just the....'obvious' reason.

The characters are good, the emotional punches are good, the realism is good, we've got great bro-interaction already, Mappa's animation is also good. I have no complaints so far.

THE LITTLE SHY BOY IS SOOOO CUTE!! I LOVE QUIET, SHY BOYS. I also like Kiyomizu; especially for his expectations that someone would buy his crappy sculpture lmao hang in there, son!

Good anime. I actually prefer this over Free; yes, Free! was funny but this feels like it has more heart and takes its characters more seriously instead of just making them eyecandy (not that there's anything wrong with that of course but good character writing makes a far stronger show)
Old 2021-08-19, 01:22   Link #28
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Just watched episodes 3 to 6 after taking a break due to the Olympics.

The show has gotten MUCH better. Sure in the first 2 episodes it had more of the tropey cliche feels, but it's toned down a lot of that and even has some "meta" story lines of "in dramas, the door at the top of the staircase is supposed to be unlocked".

I'm REALLY liking how each of the characters have their own backstories and personalities. The reactions, facial expressions, and body language is genuine and individualized, which makes it all the more realistic.

Speaking of realistic, the animation team did a great job of showing the training sessions, and even the 6 v 1 race. Yeah, the guys are all in speedos (except for the fastest swimmer), which can make for some eye candy for female anime viewers but I'm really appreciating the fact that the anime doesn't shy away from showing them in normal waterpolo attire, doing waterpolo things, including the underwater scenes such as the eggbeater (which earns my mad respect because it takes a lot of stamina to do that for a long time). Side note, I wonder if/when we'll get to see Chinu actually swim/play in a girls waterpolo match.

Speaking of matches, man, they got destroyed. 18-0 right? Fastest swimmer speaks the truth, and while we do have the red headed hot head (tropey, I know), I admire the captain for being the mature mediator and getting everyone into a calmer situation. Everyone else is genuine in their self awareness and abilities, and I really like the direction they take in changing their strategies to focus on working on their weaknesses.

It is a good thing to show the realistic hard work and determination to prove that pre amnesia, Minato was not a genius or had a gifted skill.

The intrigue from the girl is there. I really would like to know how that friendship/relationship develops.

Oh, and supporting characters are important and get appropriate screen time. Little sister has her own thing with music, and turtle manages to climb up the step eventually.

This anime is way better than Free in so many ways. Animation, story, characters, their personalities and maturity/self awareness levels. Still subject to some classic anime sports tropes but overall, I think Re-Main is doing a great job of showcasing waterpolo.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-28, 23:19   Link #29
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Episode 7: A strange twist has happened for a change.

Aside from that, the episode really dove into Jojo's backstory. It was very heartwarming/breaking when I watched it. I'm sure some of you may be able to relate when it concerns your relationship with your parents.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-29, 16:06   Link #30
Thor's Hammer

Episode 8 revealed that Minato used to be of those really demanding asshole types. I still think this might be a split cour show as there's no way for Minato's current team to compete with his past teammates at this rate.
Thor's Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-29, 17:05   Link #31
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I really wonder how he went from sweet and dopey elementary school student to hardass middle schooler. Though I guess they didn't get to be champions with all fun and rainbows.
Old 2021-08-29, 23:31   Link #32
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I really wonder how he went from sweet and dopey elementary school student to hardass middle schooler. Though I guess they didn't get to be champions with all fun and rainbows.
I can imagine that as Minato pushed himself to do and be better that the jerk side of him started to come out and he started to demand the same level of commitment from others.
Old 2021-09-04, 13:07   Link #33
leongsh
Daijoubu!

His old memories return but he loses his recent memories. He's back to the hard driving ass he was then. Not a pleasant person to be around. Of course, he sulks and tries to go back to where he was. He views his new teammates as beneath him.

One nice touch that the show did is in in the ED visuals. They changed it.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-04, 20:57   Link #34
Alchemist007
*Author

I prefer episodes like this, admittedly I picked this up with water polo being the last thing I could've cared about.
Old 2021-09-05, 13:32   Link #35
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

One convenient amnesia wasn't enough, let's have two! Also, should a guy with brain damage really play Water Polo? It's not boxing or American football, but it still looks pretty violent. With a lot of potential for hypoxia.

I wonder how toxic the club was? It looked bad for some, but others looked pretty content. It may be a conflict between those who were doing it just for fun, and the result oriented culture the new coach brought.
Old 2021-09-05, 13:43   Link #36
Dop
Mmmm....

Yeah, I was thinking that given the brain injury maybe sports were a really bad idea!

That said, when he met his 'current' team I was thinking "Hit him on the head again, then he might forget the last day or so and remember you again! Hit him!"
Old 2021-09-05, 15:14   Link #37
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I wouldn't say I like him better this way, but I kinda like that the people around him don't have it so easy anymore. A lot has been taken from him, but now he's actually feeling the loss.

The girl's still a bitch, though. The talented can't walk away? Screw that. Especially when anyone can get a career ending injury, and a year in a coma would qualify if anything does.
Old 2021-10-03, 04:13   Link #38
leongsh
Daijoubu!

The show ended on a positive note. Original Minato has come to terms with who he is now and displaying the flashes of the new Minato. That said, the new Minato has always been the real Minato underneath it all before he was asked to become all hard nosed and became the Minato that was the ace of the middle school who won the nationals.

The ending also left it open for the possibility of a sequel/continuation. I am down for a sequel/continuation. I find it a bit more interesting than Free.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sports, water polo