AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-05, 23:04   Link #801
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
In other news, I'm shocked and disappointed that no one has posted swarms of avatars made from the episodes for this series (at least not that I've seen), so I looked up some free avatar creation websites and made one of my own.
Speaking of which, I hate you for taking Jenny first. *sigh* the search for a new avatar continues...
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 23:14   Link #802
Darthtabby

Marika is shaping up to be quite the little tactical genius. She should give Sinon Kouzuki from Starship Operators a call.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 23:51   Link #803
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Noticed something neat here:

This is from episode two or three at the station, the warships are named after places, the passenger ships after characters in Greek/Roman mythology, and the cargo ships are named after characters in Japanese mythology.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 23:59   Link #804
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Speaking of which, I hate you for taking Jenny first. *sigh* the search for a new avatar continues...
It was a toss-up for me between Jenny and Marika, but none of the blogs I tend to grab images from had any Marika shots that I liked, so Jenny took it by default. I've really liked her in these last few episodes. I hope she doesn't drop off the radar now that the club trip is over.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 00:05   Link #805
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Cargo Ship Nagato?
That use to be a battleship name, as battleships were named after Japanese provinces.

I don't know where the term Nagato originates, nor does the wiki say anything about the word origin.

So...character in Japanese mythology in the future? Nagato Yuki?
Old 2012-02-06, 00:59   Link #806
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post

This is from episode two or three at the station, the warships are named after places, the passenger ships after characters in Greek/Roman mythology, and the cargo ships are named after characters in Japanese mythology.
The two warship examples are named after countries(although it could be a more general places category). As I mentioned before, the privateer ship Barbarossa is named after a privateer(although it could be named for the Medieval German ruler if Bentenmaru relates to a ruler's nickname).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Cargo Ship Nagato?
That use to be a battleship name, as battleships were named after Japanese provinces.

I don't know where the term Nagato originates, nor does the wiki say anything about the word origin.

So...character in Japanese mythology in the future? Nagato Yuki?
That would be a cool shout out if the cargo ship was named for "the Great Goddess" Nagato. I suppose if we saw a cargo ship named the Suzumiya, that would probably clinch it. Although I do not know how the God Empress herself would react to the news of a cargo vessal named after her.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 01:03   Link #807
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

About the way she reacts to most things...she's observe it, perhaps make a small comment, then move on to her next book.

Unless it is her ship...then its haxing (EW) skills would rival probably any around.
Old 2012-02-06, 01:18   Link #808
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Production on the show is actualy finished ,all episodes are done
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
What MADNESS is this? Everyone knows you're supposed to finish and deliver the episode scant minutes before it airs. It's gotta be fresh, right out of the oven!
The anime was originally suppose to air in Summer 2011 but then came the 2011 Tsunami and Earthquake which force to delay airing until Winter 2012.
Old 2012-02-06, 03:45   Link #809
psme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Marika is shaping up to be quite the little tactical genius. She should give Sinon Kouzuki from Starship Operators a call.
EXACTLY!!! I LOVE Starship Operators, and I'm loving this show! On 1 side I want to wait it out and watch in 1 round, on the other hand, I couldn't help but take my dose every sunday...

I may need to check out the novel too...
psme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 04:00   Link #810
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
The two warship examples are named after countries(although it could be a more general places category). As I mentioned before, the privateer ship Barbarossa is named after a privateer(although it could be named for the Medieval German ruler if Bentenmaru relates to a ruler's nickname).
I know Maru is a typical suffix used in Japanese ship names (especially non warship ones) After doing a quick wiki search on the word Benten I ended up on an article about the Shinto kami who's based on the Hindu goddess Saraswati.
So I don't think Bentenmaru refers to a person.
Old 2012-02-06, 04:43   Link #811
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
The anime was originally suppose to air in Summer 2011 but then came the 2011 Tsunami and Earthquake which force to delay airing until Winter 2012.
That delay may make things favorable for Saimoe season.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 04:55   Link #812
ReddyRedWolf

XX years from now I can see Marika and Chiaki as pirate drinking buddies like Ririka and Misa. Without the whole love triangle where one wins the guy. (Hopefully)
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 05:28   Link #813
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Looking at the ship, it looks like it has a rotating section where one would have at least limited gravity.
Gravity seems to be the biggest inconsistency so far. In the last few scenes of this episode, the bridge seems to have gravity as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
In short, they turned their solar sails into a solar-powered laser. If it was enough to noticeably increase the infrared signature of the entire ship within a few seconds, they probably could have incinerated the crew within a minute or two of continuous firing. A fairly powerful (if somewhat slow) weapon. A ship with a working computer and targeting system could have fired back and taken out their sails (or just taken them out), but... well... Lightning was aiming by eye.

The biggest reason it worked was because their engines were disabled. Any ship with working engines could have simply avoided the slow moving solar cannon altogether. It's a very situational weapon, but also very creative. Thumbs up to Marika for thinking about things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post

Netherlands was surpising enough, but Luxembourg? I'm surprised there are people outside the benelux who even know that country exists.

Now I want to see them in action.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 08:20   Link #814
Mercurius.H
King of Hg

From what I read in the novel, if the show keeps the nice pace so far, the next episode will reveal some interesting, surprising, and reasonable explanations to the "work" Marika and her crew are supposed to do. Can't afford to spoil it.

I have discovered a truly remarkable signature which this margin is too small to contain.
Mercurius.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 11:36   Link #815
miketyson

You'd never guess by looking at screenshots of this show but at the present rate it's really shaping up to be a smarter star trek. Certainly not everyone's cup of earl gray, but I'm digging it. I hope it does well enough that more anime in this style will get funded.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 12:20   Link #816
Kagayaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
You'd never guess by looking at screenshots of this show but at the present rate it's really shaping up to be a smarter star trek.
Hehehe....

Spoiler for star trek:
Old 2012-02-06, 12:21   Link #817
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Now I'm going to have to boil up some water....
(I got some Earl grey for Christmas and I actual like it. Sometimes it is that, sometimes Green, sometimes Chai, sometimes Peppermint, sometimes French Vanilla. I've decided I don't care for herbal teas as much, or maybe it is just the Chamomile)

Spoiler for Enterprise:

But that isn't piracy. That's exploration. Though the miniskirts would be appropriate still. Though you would be hard pressed to get that as a school uniform outside of Star Fleet Academy.

(Dark, emotionless (usually) Logic Queen, and her reckless, calculating, poker faced, Emotional Captain)
Old 2012-02-06, 15:04   Link #818
Nerroth
NePoi!

*yoinks picture*

Interesting side note; over in Japan, Hikaru Sulu is referred to as Hikaro Kato; even in the dub for the 2009 movie.
Old 2012-02-06, 16:00   Link #819
Dop
Mmmm....

One thing I loved was that after each shot the Lightning fired, back on the bridge of the Odette II there was this 'creaking timber' kind of background sound effect.
I think that added a real kind of 'Naval Warfare' feel.

Did like those very purposeful-looking military ships, too.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 16:35   Link #820
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
Hehehe....

Spoiler for star trek:
Chiaki as Spock!? I don't know how I can take that.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri