Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
omg army just got a new present
they're soo gonna win this war with this new 'game changer' weapon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101201...NkZXBsb3lzMzln

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2LZMuPEubk
That reminds me of the late Nazi Germany, they also had their stock of "Wunderwaffen" that were said to turn the tides. Since you posted it in the news thread (not the silly news thread), I want to let you know, that this war is lost for reasons that are not even remotely addressed with this weapon. However, I don't want to waste my time explaining why, because actually I couldn't care less what you think of this weapon or the insurgency in Afghanistan.

Last edited by Jinto; 2010-12-03 at 03:57.
Old 2010-12-03, 02:50   Link #10302
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I was saying a reunified nuclear Korea would most likely do something about reclaiming Manchuria.
[ ]Defensive union
[ ]reclaim Manchuria

Pick one.

Reclaiming Manchuria requires invading China, which by definition is not defensive. No nation on Earth can win if required to invade China, I might add. Do you think China will just give it up? Do you think the people there will even want to be part of your expansionist, unified Korea?
Old 2010-12-03, 03:04   Link #10303
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
dude im obviously referring to the afghan war
And I'm focusing on how the US Army is being late for this particular development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
[ ]Defensive union
[ ]reclaim Manchuria

Pick one.

Reclaiming Manchuria requires invading China, which by definition is not defensive. No nation on Earth can win if required to invade China, I might add. Do you think China will just give it up? Do you think the people there will even want to be part of your expansionist, unified Korea?
*Facepalms*

Seems like people are mixing up two things.

My personal stance: I would like to get Japan and the two Koreas to unite for each other's benefit.

My analysis of a nuclear reunified Korea: It would be expansionist, attempting to reclaim Manchuria. It would have a pretty good chance compared to what most people in their outdated, ignoring-of-logisitics process of thought says.

Now, please stop thinking that my analysis is representative of my opinions.
Old 2010-12-03, 03:43   Link #10304
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Russia & Qatar will host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups

Congrats to Russia. And hopefully they'll make sure tourists won't get stabbed or robbed during the world cup if the wikileak story that the government controls the Russia mafia is true.
Gah! So disappointed England didn't get it (though I'm not in the least bit surprised).
Old 2010-12-03, 04:02   Link #10305
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Gah! So disappointed England didn't get it (though I'm not in the least bit surprised).
I kinda lol'd when I read that it was another football humiliation for the UK on the Metro newspaper this morning I'm a little glad it's not happening here tho. They're already hosting the Olympics. Asking for the world cup as well might be pushing it too far for their own good.
Old 2010-12-03, 04:06   Link #10306
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ I haven't heard much about that except I think I heard somehwere that hosting the Wolrd Cup would be another boost for our economy.

Well we still do have the Olympics...
Old 2010-12-03, 04:08   Link #10307
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
^ I haven't heard much about that except I think I heard somehwere that hosting the Wolrd Cup would be another boost for our economy.

Well we still do have the Olympics...
Hosting the world cup could boost anyone's economy if it needed a boost, but there's a huge cost associated to it and they've already invested quite a lot in the Olympics. Trying to host for the World Cup, especially in these straining times would be pretty hard. That said, it's better for countries that have less recognition to host it. Doing it in South Africa this year was a really good idea and I also think it was good they chose Brazil for the next one.
Old 2010-12-03, 05:15   Link #10308
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
omg army just got a new present
they're soo gonna win this war with this new 'game changer' weapon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101201...NkZXBsb3lzMzln

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2LZMuPEubk
actually, laugh all you want, but this weapon actually IS a game changer.
it might not win the whole war all by itself, but it completely changes the way infantry combat firefights are waged, and gives the side using it a game breaking advantage.

mind you, not wonder weapon will save a war that is waged poorly, but its still more then just "an new gun".
Old 2010-12-03, 05:26   Link #10309
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
actually, laugh all you want, but this weapon actually IS a game changer.
it might not win the whole war all by itself, but it completely changes the way infantry combat firefights are waged, and gives the side using it a game breaking advantage.

mind you, not wonder weapon will save a war that is waged poorly, but its still more then just "an new gun".
I just hope that the soldiers will use it responsibly because tbh, judging from documentaries I've seen in the past, I can't say they're all too responsible even on a tank. I'm not by any means saying that about all of the soldiers out there, just that there are some few who do feel like Rambo. They should be very careful to consider who will be allowed to use such a weapon.

Last edited by Tsuyoshi; 2010-12-03 at 05:38.
Old 2010-12-03, 06:43   Link #10310
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

International fire crews fly to Israel's rescue
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...6B14SU20101203
Old 2010-12-03, 06:46   Link #10311
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
yeah, its a horrible mess.
worst forest fire in Israel's history.

we lost a bus with 40 police officers (prison warden trainees) who were on their way to help with the evacuations.
i actually knew one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
I just hope that the soldiers will use it responsibly because tbh, judging from documentaries I've seen in the past, I can't say they're all too responsible even on a tank. I'm not by any means saying that about all of the soldiers out there, just that there are some few who do feel like Rambo. They should be very careful to consider who will be allowed to use such a weapon.
no weapon on earth can be truly made Idiot proof.
but as a weapon system, its a considerable step up.
Old 2010-12-03, 06:58   Link #10312
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Seriously, I hope they can quell the fires. To know that so many countries are coming to Israel's aid is a comforting thought, however, especially in Turkey's case.

Quote:
no weapon on earth can be truly made Idiot proof.
but as a weapon system, its a considerable step up.
It's undeniable that it's an improvement in weapons system. It almost reeks of sci-fi but what with smart weapons technology making so much progress over the years, it shouldn't be all too surprising. However, I believe the use of this weapon should be severly restricted and illegal for civilian use, else it would lead to too much "collateral damage" on the battlefield. Civilians can use this in the case of a zombie apocalypse tho
Old 2010-12-03, 07:07   Link #10313
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Seriously, I hope they can quell the fires. To know that so many countries are coming to Israel's aid is a comforting thought, however, especially in Turkey's case.
Turkey and Israel, until about 2 years ago used to be very close Allies.
a few years ago when Turkey suffered a terrible earthquake, Israeli search and rescue teams were working around the clock to help save lives.
you shouldn't judge the entire relationship based on the last few years.
the recent hostilities in the last few years (culminating in the flotila fiasco) are a concentrated effort on part of people who are TRYING to damage relations between the two states.

Quote:
It's undeniable that it's an improvement in weapons system. It almost reeks of sci-fi but what with smart weapons technology making so much progress over the years, it shouldn't be all too surprising. However, I believe the use of this weapon should be severly restricted and illegal for civilian use, else it would lead to too much "collateral damage" on the battlefield. Civilians can use this in the case of a zombie apocalypse tho
the weapon is an advance grenade launcher.
i don't think they sell those to civilians.
Old 2010-12-03, 07:18   Link #10314
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
That reminds me of the late Nazi Germany, they also had their stock of "Wunderwaffen" that were said to turn the tides. Since you posted it in the news thread (not the silly news thread), I want to let you know, that this war is lost for reasons that are not even remotely addressed with this weapon. However, I don't want to waste my time explaining why, because actually I couldn't care less what you think of this weapon or the insurgency in Afghanistan.
That is the leftover weapon from the OICW program. It is actually meant to be attached to the XM8 (next generation M4 with German G36 mechanisms), but they scrapped that.

However, I am agreeing with Jinto. The weapon came out too far late in the war.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-12-03, 07:27   Link #10315
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
That is the leftover weapon from the OICW program. It is actually meant to be attached to the XM8 (next generation M4 with German G36 mechanisms), but they scrapped that.

However, I am agreeing with Jinto. The weapon came out too far late in the war.
that one also kinda confused me.
why would they make such an impressive weapon system as stand alone weapon, instead of developing it into an underslang laucher attachment to a normal rifle.

it means that the weapon is only useful for specific situations.
Old 2010-12-03, 07:50   Link #10316
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Turkey and Israel, until about 2 years ago used to be very close Allies.
a few years ago when Turkey suffered a terrible earthquake, Israeli search and rescue teams were working around the clock to help save lives.
you shouldn't judge the entire relationship based on the last few years.
the recent hostilities in the last few years (culminating in the flotila fiasco) are a concentrated effort on part of people who are TRYING to damage relations between the two states.
Fair enough, I suppose it was a given then. At least this shows that people are capable of helping out another country when they actually need it. I wasn't really judging, I'm just saying that considering the tension, they are able to let it go and that's what's good about it.

Quote:
the weapon is an advance grenade launcher.
i don't think they sell those to civilians.
You never know Something might happen and civilians will be able to get their hands on them.
Old 2010-12-03, 08:05   Link #10317
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
that one also kinda confused me.
why would they make such an impressive weapon system as stand alone weapon, instead of developing it into an underslang laucher attachment to a normal rifle.

it means that the weapon is only useful for specific situations.
Because the system is relatively complex, making it necessary to attach it to the XM8. It can't be attached to the M-16 as far as I know. Hence, the reason why it's a stand-alone weapon.

Same thing with the K-11's gernade launcher: it can't be attached to the K-2 rifle.
Old 2010-12-03, 08:29   Link #10318
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Fair enough, I suppose it was a given then. At least this shows that people are capable of helping out another country when they actually need it. I wasn't really judging, I'm just saying that considering the tension, they are able to let it go and that's what's good about it.
kinda gives me hope for humankind.
almost

Quote:
You never know Something might happen and civilians will be able to get their hands on them.
one can only hope this doesn't happen.

Quote:
Because the system is relatively complex, making it necessary to attach it to the XM8. It can't be attached to the M-16 as far as I know. Hence, the reason why it's a stand-alone weapon.

Same thing with the K-11's gernade launcher: it can't be attached to the K-2 rifle.
i still think they should go the extra mile and develop an addition to it that will give it a standard bullet firing capabilities.
hell, even something like the cornershot method (attaching a pistol to a larger platform) might suffice, just to give it some standard abilities.

so long as it stays as nothing more then a grenade launcher, it remains a situational weapon at most.
Old 2010-12-03, 08:30   Link #10319
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
And I'm focusing on how the US Army is being late for this particular development.

*Facepalms*

Seems like people are mixing up two things.

My personal stance: I would like to get Japan and the two Koreas to unite for each other's benefit.

My analysis of a nuclear reunified Korea: It would be expansionist, attempting to reclaim Manchuria. It would have a pretty good chance compared to what most people in their outdated, ignoring-of-logisitics process of thought says.

Now, please stop thinking that my analysis is representative of my opinions.
I like how you ignore reality and logistics in your "analysis" then accuse people who point out the impossibility of it of ignoring logistics. I don't think you really comprehend the size of China, in terms of industry, population, or geography.

Also, I do not believe for a moment that you aren't actually advocating this.
Old 2010-12-03, 08:40   Link #10320
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
kinda gives me hope for humankind.
almost
I still have faith in mankind because of these sorts of things tbh.

Quote:
i still think they should go the extra mile and develop an addition to it that will give it a standard bullet firing capabilities.
hell, even something like the cornershot method (attaching a pistol to a larger platform) might suffice, just to give it some standard abilities.

so long as it stays as nothing more then a grenade launcher, it remains a situational weapon at most.
I don't see the point in doing that when it's already capable of tracking its target even behind a wall. By the sound of it, it has pretty good chances of hitting the enemy, so there's really no need for it unless you want to add closer range combat features to the weapon. But tbh, I'd prefer it to stay as a situational weapon because adding that little feature would imply it can be used anywhere, and there's soldiers who're quite trigger happy. A weapon like this is best left to people trained specifically for it, not unlike snipers.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international